Playing at Sixfields (2 Viewers)

rondog1973

The notion I was challenging was that gates would decline if we do not rapidly return.

The statistical evidence suggests the contrary is likely to happen and gates would increase.

Players will sign for a club purely based on the contract on offer. Its it better they stay if its worse they don't. Baker is on a lucrative contract so stays. Christie is a free agent and sees better deals elsewhere so leaves.

When at the Ricoh Clive Platt was offered a one year deal. He moved to shitsfields as they offered a two year deal.
How do Bayern Munich then, retain their world class performers, despite being subject to a wage cap?

Grendel

Just for interest gullible, where are these statistics for clubs that have been moved to a different ground by their owners, while their own ground stands empty but perfectly playable?

I didn't know we had a ground of our own.

Grendel

The weight of evidence that you're willing to look at, try taking your blinkers of.

"Case closed" is that slang for argument lost?

No it means I am getting tired of people who make emotive and unfounded views and pass them of as facts.

I wil debate with you but I want you to provide some evidence to back up your claim. Your debate currently is pure rhetoric and emotion. Its like saying Lincolnshire sausages are better than Cumberland simply as you prefer the taste. Your argument lacks detail and substance.

SkyBlueM

Its like saying Lincolnshire sausages are better than Cumberland simply as you prefer the taste.

Cumberland sausages are clearly superior to Lincolnshire ones fact :whistle:

RFC

yes it will have and to think otherwise would be frankly ,insane ,.it has already affected our players ,and will carry on doing so. Playing at sixfields has been utter garbage and for people to think for one moment that players would have performed the same at the ricoh as at sixfields is a joke.As soon as the novelty wore of and our playing style was found out ,and you didn't know what stand would be open ,would there be any pies n pasties ,coffee left or not ,this all happened in the first third of the season.And yes booing was going on at sixfields from day one ,and the stick barton got the first time he warmed up down the touchline was horrendous .

Whilst nobody really wants to be there (including the owners, players & supporters), how do you know it's affected the players?

The ones I regularly speak to don't give the impression they've been affected so obviously SP's positive attitude has rubbed off on them!

Last edited:

chiefdave

How did other clubs survive? E.g Bristol rovers and Brighton?

Neither the Goldstone or Eastville are what you would term state of the art, best in the division stadiums however I doubt anyone on here follows either team closely enough to know what, if any, impact it had on their ability to sign or retain players.

Given that we've already had Pressley say its an issue and now Christie then shouldn't we accept it is an issue or are they both council plants trying to make SISU look bad?

bigfatronssba

Now that is amusing. Everything IS a conspiracy from reading most of bigfatrons' posts.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Care to give an example?

DazzleTommyDazzle

Sorry chap but your wrong at the time Clive Platt left he was at the end of his career and playing a bit part role a city, he left to join a former manager who guaranteed first team football which to many footballer at the later stages of their career is an important thing. Also don't forget when he left to join Northampton when they were on the up and certainly playing in front of bigger gates than we are seeing now. And as for the gates declining unless we return sooner than the five years only time will tell, history of other clubs would say not but at those other clubs they didn't have owners who have done so much to divide a fan base and generate so much hate to a regime. I think most of it will depend on how they handle the 12 months building up to the return but I tend to agree with the feeling that the damage they are doing will never be truly repaired until they leave.

And do everyone a favour stop dragging up statistical evidence in your arguments it stinks of political PR something your new friend Labotit is very versed in using, you can prove anything you want with stats and graphs it's all in the manipulation it's doesn't make it correct. If your honestly telling me that the attraction of playing at sixfields in front of 2000 per week isn't putting young hungry players off you're a mad man.

And my point stands about the noticeable change in you since your meeting with Labotit it's noticeable and in some cases embarrassing.

One of my favourite quotes:

"The honourable gentleman uses statistics as a drunken man uses a lamp post, for support not illumination".

B. Disraeli

blueflint

Jesus it was actually a fair question turned into the the usual crap, I'm starting to worry about you Grendel since your special meeting with Mr Mark Labotit you seem determined to turn every question regarding the situation we're in into a veiled defence of our owners.

In answer to the question I'm 100% certain our current home ground and the attendances at said ground will have a negative effective in signing current and future players.

i have been a poster on here for a while now grendel has always supported our owners rightly or wrongly

ollyservetta

Whilst nobody really wants to be there (including the owners, players & supporters), how do you know it's affected the players?

The ones I regularly speak to don't give the impression they've been affected so obviously SP's positive attitude has rubbed off on them!
, Simply by watching the performances at sixfields and away ,at first playing at sixfields was a novelty but this soon wore of for both players and fans alike .for anybody playing football your ambition forgetting wages ,is to play for the biggest club you set your sights on and playing on the best pitches in the biggest grounds infront of the biggest crowds ,and this goes for any level of football .if any player can say he is not affected by playing for us in our circumstances then id question his ambition and or loyalty,.

martcov

How do you judge an "impression" by just speaking to players? Maybe by watching them play or reading their quoted comments, but without them actually saying "I am not affected", then you cannot know from your conversations that they are not affected.

Statistically NO.
I can just imagine the sort of booing Baker would have got this year from our "fans" in the Telegraph stand. Same goes for Christie too for his second half of season performances.

Met Christie mate and he told me that he is fed up of sixfields. All footballers want to play at big stadiums, go and ask them.

An emotive and typically irrational response.

The Brighton move wasn't supported and gates declined sharply.

There is no statistical evidence to support your theory.

The evidence all suggests crowds will increase if the club returned even a decade later. In fact if under your "theory" the return was with new owners that would be the case.

Crowds will not be lower - there is no base evidence to support your claim.
Will the average gate at the ricoh be higher/lower than the last season we played there.

AndreasB

Met Christie mate and he told me that he is fed up of sixfields. All footballers want to play at big stadiums, go and ask them.
Fed up of Sixfields or fed up of league 1? Only thing that motivates players is money. Nothing wrong with that of course but dont try and kid anyone they have any loyalty .

Spionkop

My reply to the season ticket circular letter I received from Otium at the weekend. Emailed it to them.

Dear Coventry City ‘team’ –
Thank you for sending me news of season tickets in Northampton for Coventry City FC home games.
Sadly, due to the fact that my team of over 55 years has been taken out of the city by owners who ignored the views of the club’s supporters, I won’t be taking up your offer. Neither will my father, who has supported the club avidly for over 70 years. Neither will the friends we used to go with every home game.
We have not been to Sixfields and have no intention of going.
However, we’ll be first in line for season tickets when our lunatic owners return to Coventry and the Ricoh - (not the Coventry area).

luwalla

Fed up of Sixfields or fed up of league 1? Only thing that motivates players is money. Nothing wrong with that of course but dont try and kid anyone they have any loyalty .

nothing to do with loyalty.. players want to play in the best stadiums. how many times have we signed players and heard them say in their first interview " i came into the ricoh and wanted to play here, it was a big part of my decision to come here " . if you are in league 1 & you are offered roughly same pay , roughly same prospects etc.. but one team plays at sixfields & one team plays at rich, where are you going to sign ??

ajsccfc

I wouldn't put too much stock in those kind of interviews, whoever the team it'll always be 'I was impressed by [thing], it influenced my decision'. It's just lip service really. I can't imagine playing in a nice building rarely more than half-full is that much of a pull.

AndreasB

My reply to the season ticket circular letter I received from Otium at the weekend. Emailed it to them.

Dear Coventry City ‘team’ –
Thank you for sending me news of season tickets in Northampton for Coventry City FC home games.
Sadly, due to the fact that my team of over 55 years has been taken out of the city by owners who ignored the views of the club’s supporters, I won’t be taking up your offer. Neither will my father, who has supported the club avidly for over 70 years. Neither will the friends we used to go with every home game.
We have not been to Sixfields and have no intention of going.
However, we’ll be first in line for season tickets when our lunatic owners return to Coventry and the Ricoh - (not the Coventry area).

bet that scared them.

AndreasB

nothing to do with loyalty.. players want to play in the best stadiums. how many times have we signed players and heard them say in their first interview " i came into the ricoh and wanted to play here, it was a big part of my decision to come here " . if you are in league 1 & you are offered roughly same pay , roughly same prospects etc.. but one team plays at sixfields & one team plays at rich, where are you going to sign ??

what rubbish, didnt stop McSheffrey fucking off to Birmingham and their shitty stadium did it?

Astute

For the club not run by SISU. Administration seems to be always just around the corner these days.

chiefdave

what rubbish, didnt stop McSheffrey fucking off to Birmingham and their shitty stadium did it?

If you're talking about players playing at a higher level then it will always be hard to hold on to them. Most players want to play at the highest level possible, not to mention the money goes up pretty swiftly. However that's not the same as attracting L1 players. All things being equal (wages, terms etc) then when at the Ricoh it was a big selling point for the club, now we have pretty much the opposite. We've had players say it and the manager say it so I'm not sure why people are insisting its not a factor.

Grendel

Or Clive platt. I'm sure Carl baker won't to two keen to go and play in a nice stadium either.

The theory is nonsense. Players make sound bites for obvious reasons. If Scunthorpe offered a player more money than CCFC at the Ricoh he would be going "for the challenge"

dongonzalos

Jesus it was actually a fair question turned into the the usual crap, I'm starting to worry about you Grendel since your special meeting with Mr Mark Labotit you seem determined to turn every question regarding the situation we're in into a veiled defence of our owners.

In answer to the question I'm 100% certain our current home ground and the attendances at said ground will have a negative effective in signing current and future players.

This was happening well before the meeting to be fair

dongonzalos

Or Clive platt. I'm sure Carl baker won't to two keen to go and play in a nice stadium either.

The theory is nonsense. Players make sound bites for obvious reasons. If Scunthorpe offered a player more money than CCFC at the Ricoh he would be going "for the challenge"

Sorry Grendel sometimes you need to accept you are wrong SP has no reason to makes sound bites of this nature it is just pure common sense

“There’s no doubt that our infrastructure – the training base and the Ricoh Arena – have been a big draw to a player coming to the club to play in League One and when you’ve not got the Ricoh it will affect that."

Grendel

Sorry Grendel sometimes you need to accept you are wrong SP has no reason to makes sound bites of this nature it is just pure common sense

“There’s no doubt that our infrastructure – the training base and the Ricoh Arena – have been a big draw to a player coming to the club to play in League One and when you’ve not got the Ricoh it will affect that."

So if we offered frank moussa £200,000 a week he'd say no?

Grendel

If you're talking about players playing at a higher level then it will always be hard to hold on to them. Most players want to play at the highest level possible, not to mention the money goes up pretty swiftly. However that's not the same as attracting L1 players. All things being equal (wages, terms etc) then when at the Ricoh it was a big selling point for the club, now we have pretty much the opposite. We've had players say it and the manager say it so I'm not sure why people are insisting its not a factor.

Mcsheffrey stayed at the same level.. It is not an issue as 90% of the time players move as they are offered a better deal.

chiefdave

So if we offered frank moussa £200,000 a week he'd say no?

He'd probably think whoever was offering it him had experienced a mental breakdown! In an extreme case of course money is a factor, as is what level the signing team us at. If we offer Moussa £20K a week and Man Utd offer him £19K a week theres a decent chance he'll got to Man Utd isn't there?

For me there is no doubt that if we were in competition with another L1 team for a player with both offering a similar package our being in Northampton and the general state of the club would be a factor. Our players have said it, Pressley has said it, I don't see why they would all be making it up to make their employers look bad.

chiefdave

Mcsheffrey stayed at the same level.. It is not an issue as 90% of the time players move as they are offered a better deal.

I can't see, at L1 level with FFP operating, clubs are going to offering hugely differing terms so other factors come in to play. It would for me. If I got offered 2 jobs on the same salary and one company chasing me was a complete basket case on a downward spiral and the other was a well run stable company which one do you think I would choose?

AndreasB

No it's not. You still harbour dreams of a big club and can't accept reality. We were a joke at the Ricoh. Away fans laughed at us every week dotted around an enormous bowl with zero atmosphere. What is really noticeable is how FEW players have actually mentioned the ground having any influence. Mark Marshall only today thanked fans for a great reception and spurring him on. I would be very suspicious of any player foolish enough to sign for us because we had a "big ground"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

No it's not. You still harbour dreams of a big club and can't accept reality. We were a joke at the Ricoh. Away fans laughed at us every week dotted around an enormous bowl with zero atmosphere. What is really noticeable is how FEW players have actually mentioned the ground having any influence. Mark Marshall only today thanked fans for a great reception and spurring him on. I would be very suspicious of any player foolish enough to sign for us because we had a "big ground"

Why do you keep banging on about the lack of atmosphere at the Ricoh?

Go and visit Old Trafford or The Emirates or Villa Park or St James' Park when they are half empty and see what the atmosphere is like there.

When the Ricoh has a very healthy crowd the atmosphere is fine and not at all soulless. It has only been soulless these past few years because the fare on the pitch has been so very poor and we have failed miserably.

Nowt wrong with the Ricoh. Success on the pitch will make it a mighty fine stadium.

AndreasB

Why do you keep banging on about the lack of atmosphere at the Ricoh?

Go and visit Old Trafford or The Emirates or Villa Park or St James' Park when they are half empty and see what the atmosphere is like there.

When the Ricoh has a very healthy crowd the atmosphere is fine and not at all soulless. It has only been soulless these past few years because the fare on the pitch has been so very poor and we have failed miserably.

Nowt wrong with the Ricoh. Success on the pitch will make it a mighty fine stadium.

Because people seem to look back on a golden era of the Ricoh. We had a "healthy crowd" (20k) less than 10 times in 10 years there despite being in Championship. Show me the evidence that will improve and I will stop "banging on" about it.

Users who are viewing this thread