Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

Hiwula, Chaplin both awful

Kelly did well, Thomas scored

Bright, I'm not sure what he's meant to be. Very nazon like based on that game

Overall Robins should be fuming

Chaplin has been awful for since we bought him. But today agreed the other two strikers were awfull too.

Really cannot understand or comprehend Chaplins lack of. He offered zilch. Can’t hold the ball up. Offers zero goal threat. Can’t blame Robins for continuing to back him to the hilt. As obviously he’s one of his favourites not just because of the price tag.

Mucca Mad Boys

A few overreactions on here, we played really well and should have won the game, it was certainly frustrating to watch. Previous Cov teams would have lost today and credit to how we responded and didn’t panic and eventually got the equaliser and continued to go for the win. The decision to start McCallum seems strange but he had played well off the bench and despite his dodgy clearance, we should’ve dealt with the corner.

Burge, 6 - made a decent save, and did all the routine stuff well. He wasn’t at fault for their goal.

Sterling, 6 - good performance but his crossing was bad today, second game running now.

Willis, 6 - should’ve done better at the corner, but aside from that defended well.

Hyam, 7 - same as Willis but he made up for it by dealing with their long balls with ease and totally nullifying his man.

McCallum, 5 - didn’t back up his promising substitute appearances. His dodgy clearance gave away the corner for their goal, but that should’ve been dealt with. Looked nervous throughout making pretty basic errors at times. His defending was good though so there are positives to take from today.

Thomas, 8 - 1st half he was a bit hesitant and tried to pass too much. Second half, he back himself and got the goal. More of that please!

Bayliss, 7 - absolute class to put Hiwula in at the end, and is so important for us in the final third.

Kelly, 7 - probably our most important player. Sounds like a strange claim, but he got several interceptions and tackles and minus the one blip (which nearly cost a goal), his distribution was v good.

Bright, 6 - made a lovely dribble in the box and laid it off to Hiwula instead of being selfish, the right decision, but Hiwula had a bad day today.

Chaplin, 6 - Thomas got the credit for the goal, but from my angle, it looked like Chaplin helped it in. Unlucky not to be credited in my view! Either way, had some good bits of link up play but other than that, not a lot went on for him.

Hiwula, 5 - should’ve done better with the half chance in the 1st half. I could forgive that, it was a right angle. The second chance Bayliss gave to him on a plate? Unforgivable and he knows it. He had so much time and just bottled it frankly. He’ll probably get dropped for that.

JCH, 6 - didn’t really get up to much today and wasn’t helped by our pretty bad crossing!

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Wtf !!! 2 just mad

Especially when you consider Hiwula missed 1 guilt edge chance and another good opportunity in the first...

To be rated lower than a 4, you need to have had an absolute stinker and be directly at fault for more than 1 goal as a defender/keeper. Karius in the the Champions League final springs to mind!

Londonccfcfan

Burge 5
Sterling 7
Hyam 7
Willis 7
MacCallum 4....a bit too soon for young lad..Mason must injured.
Bright 7
Bayliss 7
Kelly 7
Thomas 7
Hiwula 5
Chaplin4

JCH 4

Dominated the game, but clearly lacking the final cutting edge and a natural goal scorer.
Lacking pace and a physical threat up front.

Demoralising to even think Chaplin will be upfront for us next season. We are just one good striker away from top 6.

Johnnythespider

Burge. 4. Couldn't catch a cold.

Sterling. 5. Gets forward well but his crossing in woeful at best.

Willis. 6. Headed well.

Hyam. 6. As above.

McCallum. 4. Did ok for his full debut, would of been 5 if he could control a ball.

Nobackhair. 4. Don't see really what he offered that the likes of shipley/Allassani don't!

Bayliss. 4. Why did he pass to Hiwula at the end, I didn't expect it, Hiwula didn't expect it. Your on the edge of the 6 yard box. FUCKING HIT IT!!!!

Kelly. 6.5. One of the few that comes away with any credit. He's our oil in the machine. Genuinely starting to believe all the plaudits Doyle got at the back end of last season is down to Kelly. Without Kelly, Doyle looks woeful, without Doyle, Kelly looks twice the player her was last season.

Thomas. 6. Scored, he works hard but for all his pace he runs into corridors all too often. I get the "If he was the finished article" argument, but he drags 99% of shots high or wide. 1 in fuck knows on target is a poor return from any age at any level.

Hiwula. 1st half 5.5. 2nd half 3. I thought he linked up play well and made some good runs in the 1st half. Why Robins insists on putting him on the left is fucking retarded. Somebody needs to bang Robins' head against a wall because he's far too stubborn for his own good.

Chaplin. 4. And that's being generous. I just don't get it. He offers nothing yet players are still getting dragged off/out of position, while he plays 90mins every week!! Fucking pointless.

JCH. 4. Few decent defensive clearances but made no impact to the game at all. Was bullied by their big black CH.

Grimmer. N/A.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Chaplin gets 90 mins because if Robins drops him he also has to admit he's chucked 500,000 down the pan.

Londonccfcfan

Chaplin gets 90 mins because if Robins drops him he also has to admit he's chucked 500,000 down the pan.

Has anybody else noticed...Robins was in post interview after Chaplins first month backed him post interview that he’s a natural goalscorer and will bang then in. Funny how he’s stopped verbally backing or bigging him up after dud performances.

Robins isn’t stupid he knows this lad isn’t 20 goal season in league 1 or any league.

rob9872

An early goal 8 men behind the ball and some big units. We tried but they let us have the ball and we were largely ineffectual. The forwards were poor, but apart from that golden opportunity at the end for Hiwula we didn't provide them with much. Willis Hyam Sterling Thomas the pick of them, as was Bayliss in parts. That said Wimbledon were dreadful and despite coming from behind it feels like a defeat.

covcity4life

Think it's Important to remember that if hiwula scores and we win the talk will be about how 1 of our strikers will alwaus pop up and get the goals we need between them on rotational basis

Fuck it now move on to next game and see what we can do.

Adge

Burge 6 Only gets 6 because he wasn’t tested by them to much so was anonymous but has got the jitters again when balls come into the box.
Sterling 7 Decent enough.
Willis 6 Apart from the goal was solid but hoofing to nowhere a lot of the time.
Hyam 6 Composed alongside Willis but neither really tested by the Wimbledon front men.
McCallum 4 Very nervous display and I think when he miscontrolled the first ball it played on his mind and another 3 or 4 followed.
Kelly 7 Man of the match. Had a another good game and I feel is very underrated.
Bayliss 7 Was at the forefront of most of our good play.
Bright 5 Mostly dark!
Thomas 7 Along with Bayliss was pivotal if we were going to get anything out of the game and got the goal which happens if you shoot!
Hiwula 4 An absolute stinker! Just has to put that chance away at the end-no excuses.
Chaplin 5 A bit better second half but that really is the only positive.

Subs-
JCH 5 Didn’t really get into the game as of late when he has came off the bench.
Grimmer N/a

Really? I thought Kelly was one of our better players today, along with Sterling, Willis, Thomas and Bayliss.

Agree with Willis Thomas bayliss and am a huge fan of sterling now he's found his feet but didn't think much of Kelly today give it away cheaply doesn't seem to want to turn on the ball or ever look to get us going forward I know that's more bayliss job but we were chasing the game from minute 2 and players like Kelly get found out in them situations

Nick

Administrator
Agree with Willis Thomas bayliss and am a huge fan of sterling now he's found his feet but didn't think much of Kelly today give it away cheaply doesn't seem to want to turn on the ball or ever look to get us going forward I know that's more bayliss job but we were chasing the game from minute 2 and players like Kelly get found out in them situations
Kelly hit the bar and forced a save from the keeper?

Legia Sky Blue

Don't really get the Kelly love in from some He has played well in recent weeks but I thought he made quite a few basic errors today, while Bayliss was the star turn in midfield today making some quality passes in the danger area that our forwards should have taken better advantage of.
Burge - 6
Sterling - 6
Willis - 7
Hyam - 7
McCallum - 5
Thomas - 7
Kelly - 6
Bayliss - 8
Bright - 6
Hiwula - 4
Chaplin - 5
JCH - 5

Mucca Mad Boys

Kelly was only caught in possession once, iirc.

The difference in our play is night and day when he’s on the pitch. He’s hugely influential and I’d stick my neck out and say he’s our most important player*. He wins the ball a lot in midfield and that perhaps goes unnoticed by a lot of fans. In fact, after someone pointed out his stats on interceptions, I was far more aware of it today myself. If Hiwula sticks in that gilt edge chance and we win the game, everyone goes home happy and we all congratulate the team’s performance.

*this is not saying he’s our ‘best’ player, as that title belongs to Bayliss at the minute because since Boxing Day, he’s stepped up his game massively!

Mucca Mad Boys

Kelly hit the bar and forced a save from the keeper?

I’m surprised that Kelly is receiving a bit of stick, actually. I thought he played well and he keeps the team ticking. Meanwhile, Sterling recieved a few 7s because his crossing was off today. Thankfully, he’s a very reliable defender, but the last two games his delivery has been below his usual solid standards.

speedie87

Burge 7
Sterling 7
Willis 7
Hyam 6
McAllum 4
Kelly 7
Bayliss 7
Thomas 8
Bright E 6
Chaplin 5
Hiwula6

Chaplin needs to play off the last man and in the box or get out the team. Why he hasn’t played JCH and hiwula upfront together yet I don’t know.

HerneBayGaz

Burge 5: rooted to line too often. Mixed distribution.

Sterling 7: solid performance

Willis 7.5: his pace saved us a couple rimes. Won his battles well. My motm

Hyam 7: looked good alongside Willis

McCallum 5.5: decent first start. Lost a bit of confidence in his own ability after his first mid control. Will have a big future.

Kelly 6: too much sideways and backwards. Slowing game down.

Bayliss 6: not a bad performance but had to do better when he and hiwula combined to mess up.

Bright 4: not fit. Doesn’t like to head it. Too many touches.

Thomas 7: busy as always. Good relationship with sterling.

Hiwula 4: not a good game today. Not really involved up to the final minute slip

Chaplin 5.5: non existent first half. Much better second with lots of movement but too deep.

Pitch very poor. Need to keep shots down. These are professional footballers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good assessment. I also thought Willis had a very good game and was my man of the match.

Pitch played a major part for the poor control of the ball. Didn't bother Wimbledon, They just lumped the ball forward at every opportunity.

Your right about young Sam thought he grew into the game after a nervous start. Defo got a big future in the game, hopefully with us.

The new loan signing 'Bright' showed some nice touches but definitely not match fit. But will be an asset.

Otis

Burge 7
Sterling 7
Willis 7
Hyam 6
McAllum 4
Kelly 7
Bayliss 7
Thomas 8
Bright E 6
Chaplin 5
Hiwula6

Chaplin needs to play off the last man and in the box or get out the team. Why he hasn’t played JCH and hiwula upfront together yet I don’t know.
Bit surprised at the 6 for Hiwula.

He missed three gilt-edged edge chances. And besides that he was quite anonymous I felt, but for those chances alone I think he has to be marked down substantially past an average score.

Chance 1: First half when he should have scored, but hit the ball quite weakly at the keeper, from only a few yards out.

Chance 2: Was put clean through on goal by Chaplin in the second half of and took a poor touch

Chance 3: An absolute sitter at the death.

luwalla

Kelly being rated a 4 ... wtf, did these people go to the game !!

up their for man of the match with Thomas, and by some margin, closing down balls, playing positive foward balls one minute then chasing back with defense the next to put pressure on their forward play

Yes we had a lot of the play for most the match , but so we should have, they were shocking! Should be beating teams like that by 3/4... and we would of if we dared to shoot!

That hiwula & bayliss fiasco at the end just about summed up our ability to shoot on goal. Great build up play and then totally flap it!

hiwula was woeful today

Last edited:

Otis

Kelly being rated a 4 ... wtf, did these people go to the game !!

up their for man of the match with Thomas, and by some margin, closing down balls, playing positive foward balls one minute then chasing back with defense the next to put pressure on their forward play

Yes we had a lot of the play for most the match , but so we should have, they were shocking! Should be beating teams like that by 3/4... and we would of if we dared to shoot!

That hiwula & Thomas fiasco at the end just about summed up our ability to shoot on goal. Great build up play and then totally flap it!

hiwula was woeful today
Hiwula and Bayliss I think you mean don't you?

luwalla

Hiwula and Bayliss I think you mean don't you?
oops yes sorry, had Thomas on my mind for man of the match.

Best bit if business we have done this year is getting him in and keeping him for season. Threat every game.

Mucca Mad Boys

He is so much better than Doyle in that role it’s crazy

Agreed.

I still like Doyle and think they could make an effective pair again if we get any injuries, but Doyle can’t be the main distributor in the the side anymore. He’s been caught out for at least 3 goals that I’ve seen. All games that were draws, or with Scunthorpe, we lost by the single goal. Mind you, Kelly has been caught out in a similar fashion twice (Luton and Wimbledon) and both went unpunished, thankfully.

Esoterica

Burge 5: rooted to line too often. Mixed distribution.

Sterling 7: solid performance

Willis 7.5: his pace saved us a couple rimes. Won his battles well. My motm

Hyam 7: looked good alongside Willis

McCallum 5.5: decent first start. Lost a bit of confidence in his own ability after his first mid control. Will have a big future.

Kelly 6: too much sideways and backwards. Slowing game down.

Bayliss 6: not a bad performance but had to do better when he and hiwula combined to mess up.

Bright 4: not fit. Doesn’t like to head it. Too many touches.

Thomas 7: busy as always. Good relationship with sterling.

Hiwula 4: not a good game today. Not really involved up to the final minute slip

Chaplin 5.5: non existent first half. Much better second with lots of movement but too deep.

Pitch very poor. Need to keep shots down. These are professional footballers.

Think Kelly suffered today in that before we scored it was 9 players on 5 whenever he looked up with the ball. There was also not much of an outlet on the left side. Bright was all over the place and Mccallum very shaky controlling the 30 yard switches Kelly is so good at. Was forced to go sideways today as the forward options were more limited so had to get the full backs involved more.

speedie87

Bit surprised at the 6 for Hiwula.

He missed three gilt-edged edge chances. And besides that he was quite anonymous I felt, but for those chances alone I think he has to be marked down substantially past an average score.

Chance 1: First half when he should have scored, but hit the ball quite weakly at the keeper, from only a few yards out.

Chance 2: Was put clean through on goal by Chaplin in the second half of and took a poor touch

Chance 3: An absolute sitter at the death.

Yep all fair points but at least he was getting chances I can’t stand forwards who never get themselves in the right place to score

Users who are viewing this thread