Player ratings (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCRJ

the primary issues is lack of goals obviously but the debate seems to be whether it's lack of creativity or misfiring strikers. I think both to a certain extent though the lack of creativity is my main concern.

Is it not that our formation could be an issue. I'm guessing we're still sticking to a 1-3-2-4 mould, or something similar? The strikers we have (especially McNulty, Biamou, Beavon) are not known for playing alone as they're not creative strikers. Correct me if I'm wrong about our formation but this could be a contributory factor to why we're on such a barren spell.

Otis

Clearly suggests our issues are breaking teams down and creating enough good goalscoring opportunities against the more physical sides that set up defensively against us and park the bus.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep. We can have all the shots in the world from 25 yards plus, but we are not creating anything like enough really decent chances and we are not on the whole making opposition goalkeepers win man of the match awards or work too hard.

So many matches up here we have barely gave the opposing keeper anything to do.

SkyBlueCRJ

Mansfield outplayed us, we were on top in the first 10-15 but they tightened it up at the back and we had no answer. It wasn't even like it was a Newport where we could blame a freak goal, we were second best which I can't remember us being this season.

I was at the Newport game and as unlucky as we were to lose, problems in front of goal were evident as far back as then.

Although he's a great manager, Robins is known to be too cautious at times in his tactics. Do you think this has contributed to our problems up top? After all, without taking risks in our attack we won't create meaningful opportunities and this doesn't seem to have happened...

steve82

I'm in the it's the tactics/formation camp that's more at fault for our hit and miss results.

Can anyone tell me our game plan on how we're set up to attack. What's our game plan, other than give it JJ and hope he's on his game or capitalise on a defensive error or a pop shot from Nazon.

Mansfield came with a clear game plan, and were a direct side who like the long ball from a goal kick to target our slight weak spot in a strong back 4 in Willis ariel ability to try and create a opening or the lad Danny Rose producing something, gaining free kicks in good areas or using the physical strengths of Hemmings or the useful Mcdonald finding the goal.

What's ours? How do we break the oppositions defence down. We don't look like scoring from set pieces, we don't really have a player to put a steady ball in.

I'm struggling to see Robins plan in the attacking sense. The way he's set us up don't suit L2.

Otis

I'm in the it's the tactics/formation camp that's more at fault for our hit and miss results.

Can anyone tell me our game plan on how we're set up to attack. What's our game plan, other than give it JJ and hope he's on his game or capitalise on a defensive error or a pop shot from Nazon.

Mansfield came with a clear game plan, and were a direct side who like the long ball from a goal kick to target our slight weak spot in a strong back 4 in Willis ariel ability to try and create a opening or the lad Danny Rose producing something, gaining free kicks in good areas or using the physical strengths of Hemmings or the useful Mcdonald finding the goal.

What's ours? How do we break the oppositions defence down. We don't look like scoring from set pieces, we don't really have a player to put a steady ball in.

I'm struggling to see Robins plan in the attacking sense. The way he's set us up don't suit L2.
Didn't we score from a set piece the game before last in the league at Luton and didn't Biamou score with a header from a corner last Tuesday in the Checkatrade?

steve82

Didn't we score from a set piece the game before last in the league at Luton and didn't Biamou score with a header from a corner last Tuesday in the Checkatrade?

Your quite right, but my point was on a regular basis.... we've scored twice from a corner I think? (Grimsby and West Brom) and from a free kick twice too. Direct from Shipley at Luton and a rebound/o.g for JJ against Exeter. That's all I recall.

But on those two points Stevenson provided the corner for Biamou. Not in the league picture currently and Shipley with the free kick also not quite in the starting 11.

So in the league we're not looking likely to capitalise from set pieces as the delivery is often so poor.

Last edited:

clint van damme

Is it not that our formation could be an issue. I'm guessing we're still sticking to a 1-3-2-4 mould, or something similar? The strikers we have (especially McNulty, Biamou, Beavon) are not known for playing alone as they're not creative strikers. Correct me if I'm wrong about our formation but this could be a contributory factor to why we're on such a barren spell.

I don't think it's the formation as much as the way players are restricted within the formation.
I would like to see Kelly getting much further forward from the start.
I think it's quite conceivable that if we do start creating more chances the current bunch of forwards still won't convert enough but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

SkyBlueCRJ

I don't think it's the formation as much as the way players are restricted within the formation.
I would like to see Kelly getting much further forward from the start.
I think it's quite conceivable that if we do start creating more chances the current bunch of forwards still won't convert enough but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

I do agree he should be pushed further forward, he's more than capable of creating far more than the majority of our other players at the moment. However, what I'd really like to see is the Duck and McNulty play off each other as a strike partnership. It's odd that Robins hasn't resorted to playing two up top considering his tactics at the moment are clearly not working in front of goal.

Maybe it's a concern that altering/being less restrictive on the formation could affect our defensive record...

I'm finally getting up to the Ricoh next Saturday against Crawley, should be interesting seeing the issue's first hand.

clint van damme

I do agree he should be pushed further forward, he's more than capable of creating far more than the majority of our other players at the moment. However, what I'd really like to see is the Duck and McNulty play off each other as a strike partnership. It's odd that Robins hasn't resorted to playing two up top considering his tactics at the moment are clearly not working in front of goal.

Maybe it's a concern that altering/being less restrictive on the formation could affect our defensive record...

I'm finally getting up to the Ricoh next Saturday against Crawley, should be interesting seeing the issue's first hand.

I like Duck but he is potentially only here for a further 9 games which is a worry.

Mucca Mad Boys

Clearly suggests our issues are breaking teams down and creating enough good goalscoring opportunities against the more physical sides that set up defensively against us and park the bus.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That doesn’t go to explain the disparity between being able to score against ‘competent’ defences, but struggling against seemingly ‘incompetent’ defences.

The issues are there to see. To argue the problem is personnel can only go so far and here, it doesn’t go very far. If personnel was a fundamental issue, we wouldn’t be doing brilliantly against the teams doing well this season. They would simply be too good and that just isn’t the case.

Nick

Administrator
That doesn’t go to explain the disparity between being able to score against ‘competent’ defences, but struggling against seemingly ‘incompetent’ defences.

The issues are there to see. To argue the problem is personnel can only go so far and here, it doesn’t go very far. If personnel was a fundamental issue, we wouldn’t be doing brilliantly against the teams doing well this season. They would simply be too good and that just isn’t the case.

That's because the likes of Luton are trying to win the game so it's easier to find gaps when they commit forward, whereas the lower teams are literally parking 10 men behind the ball and we are up shit creek unless we score a worldie.

SkyBlueCRJ

I like Duck but he is potentially only here for a further 9 games which is a worry.

Nazon leaving is obviously a possibility but I'm confident we'll extend his loan. There's very little chance of Nazon getting any game time at Wolves at the moment, especially with the current form of Bonatini and Jota. Equally, it's unlikely he'd be sent to another club as what's the point in unsettling him when he's doing relatively well?

The final decision will probably be up to Nazon himself. If he feels he doesn't want to stay then we there's nothing we can do about that. I have faith Robins will bring in an equally adequate replacement if a worst case scenario materialised.

Mucca Mad Boys

That's because the likes of Luton are trying to win the game so it's easier to find gaps when they commit forward, whereas the lower teams are literally parking 10 men behind the ball and we are up shit creek unless we score a worldie.

What’s the point you’re trying to make? It sounds as if you’re agreeing - or at least not disagreeing - with the premise that the problems we’re having are tactical?

better days

Nazon leaving is obviously a possibility but I'm confident we'll extend his loan. There's very little chance of Nazon getting any game time at Wolves at the moment, especially with the current form of Bonatini and Jota. Equally, it's unlikely he'd be sent to another club as what's the point in unsettling him when he's doing relatively well?

The final decision will probably be up to Nazon himself. If he feels he doesn't want to stay then we there's nothing we can do about that. I have faith Robins will bring in an equally adequate replacement if a worst case scenario materialised.
I believe Nazon is happy here and would like to stay for the rest of the season

stevefloyd

Is that fact or your opinion.......And I believe this Ozzie bloke has expanded quite a lot

Attachments

• 20171115_121707.jpg
    20171115_121707.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread