Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Grendel

No, no, no! You can't score Jones worse than Vincenti! That's laughable don't you know! ;)

It’s the benchmarking syndrome. Jones sets it high vincenti Haynes burge etc set it very low. So even if they do anything remotely resembling football they get acknowledgement. You’ve admitted you rated him higher for some curious incident when he lumbered into the penalty area fell into a defender and the ball st the time was 10 feet away from him.

Otis

It’s the benchmarking syndrome. Jones sets it high vincenti Haynes burge etc set it very low. So even if they do anything remotely resembling football they get acknowledgement. You’ve admitted you rated him higher for some curious incident when he lumbered into the penalty area fell into a defender and the ball st the time was 10 feet away from him.
You are STILL describing an incident you DIDN'T see. That IS laughable.

Would say the ball missed him by a whisker.

That's the difference between me and you. I am quite humble and am happy to be proved wrong. I am more than happy to see that Vincenti incident again and if I was wrong I will gladly say I was wrong.

From my view it was a whisker away and I was jumping out of my seat believing he would score.

Happy to be proved wrong though. You however have not said you were wrong about ALL the Mansfield players SCREAMING for a penalty when the reality is that they clearly were not. You seemingly never admit you were wrong.

I personally would love to see that Vincenti thing again. Happy to be proved wrong on that, but you are once again incorrect. I also mentioned about Vincenti winning the ball in the air and some of his defensive work and not JUST that one incident in the 6 yard box. I just thought he contributed more than Jones, who I felt offered nothing. Vincenti helped out the defence on at least two occasions.

clint van damme

Doyle & Kelly 6 Broke up play and helped the defence out quite well. Him or Doyle needs more license to get forward and run into space, if they should be doing it, they need to be reprimanded for not doing it enough.
Vincenti 5 Won a few headers, but was largely ineffective.
Jones 4 first 15 or so minutes was okay, but then got a kick, switched wings and went missing
McNulty 6 While still being largely ineffective, better player in our forward line
Ponticelli 6 spurned some good opportunities, pressured well but was naive at times, that will come with experience and age. Should be easing him in gently and pull him on 60 minutes rather than giving him 90 minutes and adding the pressure from the City fans towards the end of the game.

Biamou 6 Added power up front
Davies 6 filled in for Willis quite well

that's what happened for the Ponticelli chance at the end, probably the only time in the game, it needs to be happening far more frequently.

Esoterica

Burge 6 - Thought his all round game was good yesterday. In the right place for a couple of deflected efforts. Would knock points off if the goalcam view is damning.
Grimmer 5 - Thought he was shown up for his lack of pace. Beaten too easily around the outside as he has been all season when tested (which hasn't been often)
Willis 5 - Tormented for most of the match
McDonald 6 - Nowhere near his best but where I thought he was good was his passing. He's very neat for a CB. Unfortunately Doyle was on his toes screaming for the ball most of the game.
Haynes 4.5 - Mistake from Robins playing him today and not Stokes. Looked like he'd been asked to play deeper against a proper winger so a) our defending was worse and b) Jones rarely had an overlap
Doyle 5 - He's got this really annoying habit of being on top of the ball whenever there's a free kick, wherever it is on the pitch, often ending with a quick 5 yard pass. If that's a tactic then drill it into the whole team rather sacrificing a central midfielder to make it happen.
Kelly 6 - We look so much better when he gets forward. People moaning about him passing it sideways need to look at where the options are when he does. The strikers were 30 yards away from the central midfield for most of the game.
Vincenti 4.5 - Had a good first 15 minutes while we were playing well and then went downhill. Was clumsier than usual today but also have some sympathy when he's mostly just used as an outlet on the sideline. A bit like Biamou, if we're just going to twat balls at his head, someone needs to be close to him to pick up the 2nd ball and there rarely is.
Jones 4.5 - Decision making was terrible in the first half, over running the ball, ignoring passes and then when he goes into petulant kid mode in the 2nd half I just want to lift him off the floor by his moustache and shake him. Set pieces were awful too. Should have been hooked for Shipley and then maybe we'd have scored the free kick at the end too
McNulty 6.5 - Looked really sharp first half, head and shoulders above anyone else on our team and put Ponticelli clean through in the 2nd half. Dunno why he's getting any stick when Ponti missed 2 sitters.
Ponticelli 5 - If he'd have taken his chance in the first 15 minutes instead of shooting straight at the keeper it would have changed (and won) the game. Should have equalised late on too but seems to be escaping criticism for it while people cling onto his 2 goals against non league opposition. The league is a different level and our system is as limiting for him as it is all our other strikers.

Biamou 5.5 - Wins all his headers but never anyone near him so the boy boos just think he's shit. Has improved loads already this season and another one getting unfair stick and expected to score his one chance - a 90 degree header, under pressure, from a weak header back into the box, with a keeper and defender on the line.

Robins 3 - I've watched the whole game back again for a 2nd time this morning and I still don't know what our game plan to win the game was. He'd clearly recognised the threat from their wingers and asked the fullbacks to be more conservative but did nothing to address the impact that would have on our attacking play. The central midfield once again had to be pushed higher in this case. We looked good for the first 15 minutes - our back 4 were quite high and there was space in behind Mansfield but after Willis had lost a few headers the defense started getting deeper, as do then Kelly and Doyle and our performance tailed off with it. He did nothing to address it. Why leave Jones isolated, sulking and having a stinker? Why bring Biamou on and not play anyone up there near him for his headers? Why play Haynes when you want a defensive fullback? I've lost count of the games this season where he's just allowed games to drift away from us.

Last edited:

Otis

Burge 6 - Thought his all round game was good yesterday. In the right place for a couple of deflected efforts. Would knock points off if the goalcam view is damning.
Grimmer 5 - Thought he was shown up for his lack of pace. Beaten too easily around the outside as he has been all season when tested (which hasn't been often)
McDonald 6 - Nowhere near his best but where I thought he was good was his passing. He's very neat for a CB. Unfortunately Doyle was on his toes screaming for the ball most of the game.
Haynes 4.5 - Mistake from Robins playing him today and not Stokes. Looked like he'd been asked to play deeper against a proper winger so a) our defending was worse and b) Jones rarely had an overlap
Doyle 5 - He's got this really annoying habit of being on top of the ball whenever there's a free kick, wherever it is on the pitch, often ending with a quick 5 yard pass. If that's a tactic then drill it into the whole team rather sacrificing a central midfielder to make it happen.
Kelly 6 - We look so much better when he gets forward. People moaning about him passing it sideways need to look at where the options are when he does. The strikers were 30 yards away from the central midfield for most of the game.
Vincenti 4.5 - Had a good first 15 minutes while we were playing well and then went downhill. Was clumsier than usual today but also have some sympathy when he's mostly just used as an outlet on the sideline. A bit like Biamou, if we're just going to twat balls at his head, someone needs to be close to him to pick up the 2nd ball and there rarely is.
Jones 4.5 - Decision making was terrible in the first half, over running the ball, ignoring passes and then when he goes into petulant kid mode in the 2nd half I just want to lift him off the floor by his moustache and shake him. Set pieces were awful too. Should have been hooked for Shipley and then maybe we'd have scored the free kick at the end too
McNulty 6.5 - Looked really sharp first half, head and shoulders above anyone else on our team and put Ponticelli clean through in the 2nd half. Dunno why he's getting any stick when Ponti missed 2 sitters.
Ponticelli 5 - If he'd have taken his chance in the first 15 minutes instead of shooting straight at the keeper it would have changed (and won) the game. Should have equalised late on too but seems to be escaping criticism for it while people cling onto his 2 goals against non league opposition. The league is a different level and our system is as limiting for him as it is all our other strikers.

Biamou 5.5 - Wins all his headers but never anyone near him so the boy boos just think he's shit. Has improved loads already this season and another one getting unfair stick and expected to score his one chance - a 90 degree header, under pressure, from a weak header back into the box, with a keeper and defender on the line.

Robins 3 - I've watched the whole game back again for a 2nd time this morning and I still don't know what our game plan to win the game was. He'd clearly recognised the threat from their wingers and asked the fullbacks to be more conservative but did nothing to address the impact that would have on our attacking play. The central midfield once again had to be pushed higher in this case. We looked good for the first 15 minutes - our back 4 were quite high and there was space in behind Mansfield but after Willis had lost a few headers the defense started getting deeper, as do then Kelly and Doyle and our performance tailed off with it. He did nothing to address it. Why leave Jones isolated, sulking and having a stinker? Why bring Biamou on and not play anyone up there near him for his headers? Why play Haynes when you want a defensive fullback? I've lost count of the games this season where he's just allowed games to drift away from us.
We certainly don't seem very good at reacting to going a goal down do we.

Otis

What is people's problem with Jones? Am I missing something? One of the best players in the division and about the only bright spark in our season so far. Scratching my head with this one.
How many times has he played well though and how many times has he barely turned up or being marked out of games.

He showed nothing yesterday. It's not his fault of course that it seemingly is all on him to be our creative spark, but still, there's not enough quality ball in from him and more often than not he takes the greedy option and goes for it himself.

I quite like him, but do find him frustrating.

Grendel

What is people's problem with Jones? Am I missing something? One of the best players in the division and about the only bright spark in our season so far. Scratching my head with this one.

It’s simply expectation. If burge catches a ball, Haynes manages to pass a ball two yards to his own player or vincenti falls over in the penalty area they get extra marks as that’s beyond their normal abysmal level.

Nick

Administrator
He wasn't the best player in the division yesterday though? That's when the ratings are from

Esoterica

We certainly don't seem very good at reacting to going a goal down do we.
We've been behind 8 times in 17 games and equalised in 2 - Cambridge and Swindon. We haven't conceded an equaliser all season though!

There's a few other bad stats around to go with our good defensive ones e.g. Only leading at half time in 4 of 17 games (24%).

clint van damme

It’s simply expectation. If burge catches a ball, Haynes manages to pass a ball two yards to his own player or vincenti falls over in the penalty area they get extra marks as that’s beyond their normal abysmal level.

Your post is a little acerbic but it's hard to disagree with the general sentiment.

Sky Blue Harry H

As you've watched the game back for a 2nd time, I won't quibble with any marks (tend to agree about Jones 2nd half performance. although I thought we were ponderous in getting the ball up the pitch in the 2nd half and more particularly getting it to Jones early enough) How do you get to watch the game again - Sky Blue Player?

Nick

Administrator
As you've watched the game back for a 2nd time, I won't quibble with any marks (tend to agree about Jones 2nd half performance. although I thought we were ponderous in getting the ball up the pitch in the 2nd half and more particularly getting it to Jones early enough) How do you get to watch the game again - Sky Blue Player?
It's on ifollow, effectively a new sky blue player!

stevefloyd

A few games ago a few people were saying Kelly was pure class now we dont know how he is being told to play by Robins, is he being shackled because of our great defensive record? I think McNulty needs to be filling the void in front of our midfield and offering himself for passes then either getting it to Jones or Ponticelli(if he is the loan striker) because he is not offering too much of a goal threat atm.
If we had more of a goal threat by our 'strikers' and actually scored a few when we was on top the games would pan out a lot more in our favour, we are losing at home to either goal keeping errors or long range pot shots this needs to stop and Robins does have to shoulder the blame through lack of ambition at times

stevefloyd

Just seen the extended highlights on i follow couldn't quite see for Ponticellis goal but it looked close to an offside maybe level at best

mark82

He wasn't the best player in the division yesterday though? That's when the ratings are from

It's not so much the ratings as those proclaiming him rubbish, overrated and someone we should cash in on. On the basis we only seem to do well when he plays well cashing in seems the opposite of what we should do.

Otis

It's not so much the ratings as those proclaiming him rubbish, overrated and someone we should cash in on. On the basis we only seem to do well when he plays well cashing in seems the opposite of what we should do.
Unless we bring someone in who plays well more often and is less greedy.

Grendel

I know, the mentality of some is beyond ridicule.

It’s disturbing. He’s now “hiding”’and “not putting a shift in” - I don’t know what planet some of our fans live on

Nick

Administrator
It’s disturbing. He’s now “hiding”’and “not putting a shift in” - I don’t know what planet some of our fans live on

This is the player ratings for one game though, I will say he was awful this week and didn't give a shit. If at Lincoln he is completely different then it will be different in those ratings.

Some games (Grimsby for example) you can see the grit and determination, he was a nuisance to the opposition and was a benefit. Other games like Accrington Stanley he isn't interested and stands about with his hands on his hips.

It's fair enough to say he did nothing in one game, but can hardly say it for the whole season.

SkyBlueCRJ

I've had to miss the last few games due to work so haven't had the chance to see how we've set ourselves up or how we've performed. Whilst the goals have picked up over the last 3 games it seems we have once again failed to create chances....this is stating the obvious I know.

But since the Barnet game, (the last game I attended) was the Mansfield loss a one off or simply another case of a recurring issue...and what does everyone think the primary issue is?

Grendel

This is the player ratings for one game though, I will say he was awful this week and didn't give a shit. If at Lincoln he is completely different then it will be different in those ratings.

Some games (Grimsby for example) you can see the grit and determination, he was a nuisance to the opposition and was a benefit. Other games like Accrington Stanley he isn't interested and stands about with his hands on his hips.

It's fair enough to say he did nothing in one game, but can hardly say it for the whole season.

No player suddenly becomes disinterested in one game. I bet in terms of possession stats he still came out better than most going forward.

Ultimately flair players have good and bad games. He still created a chance in the first half and ran with the ball more effectively than Vincenti, Doyle and Ponticelli our together - if he has Haynes behind him it’s always an issue as Haynes is both appalling and lacks any vision at all.

Nick

Administrator
I've had to miss the last few games due to work so haven't had the chance to see how we've set ourselves up or how we've performed. Whilst the goals have picked up over the last 3 games it seems we have once again failed to create chances....this is stating the obvious I know. But since the Barnet game, (the last game I attended) was the Mansfield loss a one off or simply another case of a recurring issue...and what does everyone think the primary issue is?

Mansfield outplayed us, we were on top in the first 10-15 but they tightened it up at the back and we had no answer. It wasn't even like it was a Newport where we could blame a freak goal, we were second best which I can't remember us being this season.

Nick

Administrator
No player suddenly becomes disinterested in one game. I bet in terms of possession stats he still came out better than most going forward.

Ultimately flair players have good and bad games. He still created a chance in the first half and ran with the ball more effectively than Vincenti, Doyle and Ponticelli our together - if he has Haynes behind him it’s always an issue as Haynes is both appalling and lacks any vision at all.

He has not been interested in a few games, it wasn't just yesterday. Accrington was another.

I know players have off games and quiet games, can't expect him to be at it for 90 minutes but at some points it was just like the Yakubu video.

clint van damme

I've had to miss the last few games due to work so haven't had the chance to see how we've set ourselves up or how we've performed. Whilst the goals have picked up over the last 3 games it seems we have once again failed to create chances....this is stating the obvious I know.

But since the Barnet game, (the last game I attended) was the Mansfield loss a one off or simply another case of a recurring issue...and what does everyone think the primary issue is?

the primary issues is lack of goals obviously but the debate seems to be whether it's lack of creativity or misfiring strikers. I think both to a certain extent though the lack of creativity is my main concern.

Great_Expectations

How is Willis getting some positive or at least ‘ok’ comments; he was awful yesterday and got absolutely taken the mick out of by their strikers. Which is especially bad considering Championship teams were interested in him just over a year ago.

Jones has been the only bright spark this season, but he was anonymous yesterday and a few more games like that and he’ll actually have had more poor games than good. He looked disinterested yesterday.

Vincenti is a poor footballer, but equally he’s absolutely not a winger and it’s a ridiculous decision to play him there. His touch at times is quite good and if we want him in the team for his height he needs to play elsewhere.

If Ponticelli wasn’t ‘one of our own’ and fans hadn’t been demanding him to play for weeks, he’d be being slated for yesterday. He missed two golden chances - ultimately he’s there to be a poacher as it isn’t his game to contribute as much in other ways, but he failed yesterday. Obviously not writing him off and I wouldn’t drop him, but he was ineffective yesterday.

I said on the other thread the Doyle/Kelly situation is ridiculous, especially as Kelly has shown he has more about him, if he’s allowed more freedom.

McNulty looked sharp in terms of movement, but he’s never found and as such drifts out of games or ends up in the wrong position trying to get on the ball.

Nobody else deserves a mention.

Mucca Mad Boys

the primary issues is lack of goals obviously but the debate seems to be whether it's lack of creativity or misfiring strikers. I think both to a certain extent though the lack of creativity is my main concern.

I think people are missing the point. Clearly there isn’t a fundamental problem with creating and scoring goals. Here me out now. A team that has beaten the top 3, 3-0 (twice) and 2-0, and beating the teams around us, clearly doesn’t have problems scoring.

To me, the problem is tactical. Robins can blame the strikers, and in some cases he could have a point. However, this team so far has consistently struggled to score away from home, score in the first half and against opposition lower in the table than us. These common themes indicate that it’s just not just a problem of not being able to score, rather, we just haven’t sussed out how to break teams down that play for a draw. That is a problem the management need to sort out, and quickly! Our form is too patchy as of late.

Esoterica

I think people are missing the point. Clearly there isn’t a fundamental problem with creating and scoring goals. Here me out now. A team that has beaten the top 3, 3-0 (twice) and 2-0, and beating the teams around us, clearly doesn’t have problems scoring.

To me, the problem is tactical. Robins can blame the strikers, and in some cases he could have a point. However, this team so far has consistently struggled to score away from home, score in the first half and against opposition lower in the table than us. These common themes indicate that it’s just not just a problem of not being able to score, rather, we just haven’t sussed out how to break teams down that play for a draw. That is a problem the management need to sort out, and quickly! Our form is too patchy as of late.
The worst 4 defensive records in the league are (Team/Goals conceded): Crewe Alexan. 29, Yeovil Town 33, Forest Green 33, Chesterfield 33. We've managed 1 goal against the 4 worst defences and it needed the corner flag to set it up!
For the best defences: It's us by a mile still - Coventry 9, Lincoln 15, Cambridge Utd 16,Notts County 17 , Luton Town 17, Crawley 17, Exeter 18 . So from the best 4 defences we've played, we've scored 9! Lincoln and Crawley who we haven't played are coming right up.

stupot07

The worst 4 defensive records in the league are (Team/Goals conceded): Crewe Alexan. 29, Yeovil Town 33, Forest Green 33, Chesterfield 33. We've managed 1 goal against the 4 worst defences and it needed the corner flag to set it up!
For the best defences: It's us by a mile still - Coventry 9, Lincoln 15, Cambridge Utd 16,Notts County 17 , Luton Town 17, Crawley 17, Exeter 18 . So from the best 4 defences we've played, we've scored 9! Lincoln and Crawley who we haven't played are coming right up.
Clearly suggests our issues are breaking teams down and creating enough good goalscoring opportunities against the more physical sides that set up defensively against us and park the bus.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Esoterica

Clearly suggests our issues are breaking teams down and creating enough good goalscoring opportunities against the more physical sides that set up defensively against us and park the bus.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I'm tired of arguing it - i've rewatched full games, produced tactics boards, excel spreadsheets, screenshots, gifs of key moments, summarised key match stats (that are not based on the ambiguity of 'shots') but people still just want to ignore it and say 'Biamou is shit' 'Sign a new striker' 'Recruitment was terrible'.

Users who are viewing this thread