Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

All of the players second half other than Hamer and Walker deserve a 7.5 and above just because Walker as previous posters have said looked uninterested, there is a player in there he just needs to show a bit more energy at times, Hamer was just trying too hard needed to calm himself down really I dont know whether its down to he has never played in front of a crowd like yesterday or not but thats all was over trying.

Overall though

Moore - 7.5
Decent game unlucky for the first goal just got left in the mud by his defence, safe hands most the game I think he will build on good performances and eventually we will recognise his class.

Dacosta - 4
Probably one of his worse performances in a city shirt, first goal was down to him.
This is because he was vastly out of position earlier on causing sheaf to put in a tactical foul in order to prevent a goal but then later on the left hand side were about 40 yards up the pitch and Sheaf (already on a yellow) refused to commit and tracked back instead which was good decision making.

Dabo - 7.5
Looked good perhaps wasted at CB but he rose to the challenge of a good centre forward in Lyle Taylor, but kicked the ground for the first goal and tripped himself up so couldn’t do much other than looking where he is going, second half moved into RWB he looked his usual self trying to progress the game in the wide area.

McFadzean - 9.5 (my motm)
Just wow, was awesome easily our best defender, used his ecoerience well and put enough power on the shot for it to go in.

Hyam - 7.5
The only thing I can fault him for is being out of position by about 40 yards for the first goal, but otherwise defensively sound moved over to the right hand side of the three second half and looked good.

Maatsen - 6.5
Promising debut showed some good control of the ball and to be fair looked quick, just his crossing wasn’t the best but that will improve with sharpness and was about 50 yards out of position for the first goal otherwise looks like a player could be in there but I dont think he will be better than Sam.

Hamer - 6.5
Just tried too hard and needs to just calm himself down and backtrack into simpler passes until he gains confidence and sharpness and eventually start them balls again.

Sheaf - 8.5
First 20-25 minutes was our best player but seemed to fade, second half hit the crossbar with a good shot and did well defensively good decision making and Im excited to see him progress.

O’hare - 9.5
Energetic as ever, won many free kicks and the build up to the first goal skinned 3 of their players, we have a fantastic player on our hands for now we just have to try and keep him.

Waghorn - 7
Worked with what he had really couldnt really do much more but then again first half was getting little service so not his fault but lead well from the front.

Gyökeres - 8
Good finish into the roof of the net, first half didnt see that much of him tried to drive the ball forward, second half really grew into the game the Forest midfield didnt do anything to stop the bridge between our attack and midfield.

Substitutes
Rose (45 minutes on for Dacosta) - 8
Looked good, a massive improvement on Dacosta and was very good on the ball as usual and actually looks decently sharp not fully match sharp but promising.

Walker (believe it was 70 minutes on for Waghorn) - 6.5
Looked uninterested at times needed more energy but I believe he will be good for us this season he has the finishing he has the pace he just needs more energy higher work rates but goals will come.

JJ (believe it was 70 minutes on for Maatsen) - 7.5
Looked energetic and very sharp for someone who has had an injury history like him, in an unusual position he did well going forward not much to do defensively but did his best when called upon.
Dacosta really wasn’t to blame for their goal!! He was back covering his man even though gyokeres lost the ball brainlessly. Goal was down to him and hyam and maatsen and also their players place

SBAndy

Moore - 7 - did very well, commanded his area perfectly which meant the defence could sit a little bit higher. Kicking was decent on the whole, let’s hope this is his standard.

Dabo - 6 - seemed to really struggle in the first half, but much improved in the second half. Still doesn’t look 100% fit and seemed to make an indication that his muscle was tight towards the 80th minute.

McFadzean - 7 - think there’s a bit of recency bias going on, because he also didn’t cover himself in glory in the first half with a horrendous misplaced pass and getting beat for pace on numerous occasions. Improved immeasurably in the second half and, of course, got the winner.

Hyam - 6 - rotten first half, and clear indication as to why we need a LCB. Passing and positioning both off, but saw an improvement in the second half when he moved to RCB.

Dacosta - 5 - I like the guy, but he’s like an untrained puppy. Runs all over the shop and far too enthusiastic, which severely hampered our shape. Looked ok when on the ball but don’t really want to see him more than 10 times this season.

Sheaf - 6 - first half he was weak, as was the rest of the team. Sloppy at times in possession. Started to get into the game in the second half and showed his passing range. Unlucky not to score.

Hamer - 6 - needs to work on his composure and ball retention. Towards the end of the game he was stamping his authority on things which is very much his style, but consistency is missing. Positioning also needs to be better out of possession.

Maatsen - 5 - wasn’t overly impressed with his performance; positionally he seemed an improvement on McCallum (in terms of what you’d expect from a wing back) but too often sloppy with the ball. Will put that down to a lack of cohesion given he’s only been here a week or so.

O’Hare - 8 - usual industrious self, usual erratic decision making, but it worked. Always backs himself and you can see how that lifts the team when it comes off.

Waghorn - 5 - wasn’t really involved at all. Expect he will improve as the team starts to take consistent shape.

Gyokeres - 7 - took up some decent positions, but not great with the ball…aside from slamming it into the net. Looked better than he did last season but still work to do.

Rose - 7 - solid defensive performance, and much better on the ball than what had come before. Starting to look like the defender we saw in the title-winning season.

Jones - 7 - looked like he could work as a LWB. He’s always tended to track back and was a more reliable outlet than Maatsen. Just great to see him back in general, performance was a bonus.

Walker - 7 - occupied their back line in a way Waghorn didn’t and seemed to create more space for Gyokeres and O’Hare to operate in. Beggars belief he isn’t starting considering he was last season’s top scorer.

PVA

Sheaf would have been able to prevent the counter had Dacosta not been out of position earlier on ending up with Sheaf on a yellow

You can point the finger at lots of people, depends how far back you want to look in a run of play. The goal would have been prevented had Dabo's foot not got stuck in the turf that's for sure.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Forest zero - booed the knee, booed Curtis, team were time-wasting cheats. Lyle and Colback are pricks. Karma!
Got to say, I didn't know why there were boos at the start of the minutes silence but I assumed it had been a lack of being able to hear the tannoy. That said, it probably means they were expecting to boo the knee, which is equally pathetic. Fair few booing the knee near me in block 19 including two fully grown blokes (40+) who took their own silent protest of turning their back on it, which made me laugh.

SkyBlueGuy

Dacosta - 4
Probably one of his worse performances in a city shirt, first goal was down to him.
This is because he was vastly out of position earlier on causing sheaf to put in a tactical foul in order to prevent a goal but then later on the left hand side were about 40 yards up the pitch and Sheaf (already on a yellow) refused to commit and tracked back instead which was good decision making.

Overall you make some good points, but this seems harsh. Not sure how you can say the goal was down to Da Costa? When Gyökeres lost the ball they broke on our left. Maatsen was completely caught out if position and didn't look to get back, Then Hyam pushed up to try and mark their winger (this was poor judgement in my opinion as their player was halfway inside his own half!) leaving a huge gap in behind. Sheaf did his best, but couldn't catch him. Again, not saying Da Costa had a great game by any stretch

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Overall you make some good points, but this seems harsh. Not sure how you can say the goal was down to Da Costa? When Gyökeres lost the ball the broke on our left. Maatsen was completely caught out if position and didn't look to get back, Then Hyam pushed up to try and mark their winger (this was poor judgement in my opinion as their player was halfway inside his own half!) leaving a huge gap in behind. Sheaf did his best, but couldn't catch him. Again, not saying Da Costa had a great game by any stretch
I see yours and others points its just how I saw it I dont think its Gyokeres fault as he was trying to lay off Waghorn just didnt catch the ball right, Maatsen and hyam were out of position as I said at some point but yeah I just think Sheaf could have prevented it easily if he didnt have to do similar earlier due to Dacosta’s mistake

SkyBlueGuy

I see yours and others points its just how I saw it I dont think its Gyokeres fault as he was trying to lay off Waghorn just didnt catch the ball right, Maatsen and hyam were out of position as I said at some point but yeah I just think Sheaf could have prevented it easily if he didnt have to do similar earlier due to Dacosta’s mistake

He probably would have, but I think Hyam should probably shoulder the majority of the blame there. I've watched it back a few times and just can't figure out what he is doing so far in the opposite half (given he knows that leaves McFadzean to try to cover and puts Dabo at mid CB?!).

SBT

Got to say, I didn't know why there were boos at the start of the minutes silence but I assumed it had been a lack of being able to hear the tannoy. That said, it probably means they were expecting to boo the knee, which is equally pathetic. Fair few booing the knee near me in block 19 including two fully grown blokes (40+) who took their own silent protest of turning their back on it, which made me laugh.

On TV it sounded like someone tried to start a chant of ‘There’s only one George Curtis’ near the end of the silence, but got drowned out by boos before he could get going.

Colin Steins Smile

I was own block 19 and one block in his 30's came up from the stairwell to boo the "taking the knee". Fortunately, the majority of people near me.....including numerous 50+ age range gave him some abuse and clapped the teams.

Gibbo

I don't think Sheaf got near enough to foul him, and would have been ill advised to anyway. He was tracking back to fill the space left by Maatsen in particular. No fault to Gyokeres - he lost the ball miles from our goal.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Moore - 7 - not much to do, collected the ball well, made a good save to stop it going 2-0

Dabo - 6- not a centre back, but did alright when he moved back to RWB
McFadz - 8 - Captains performance
Hyam - 6 - went missing for the goal looked better on the right hand side

DaCosta - 3 - woeful, even managed to foul throw
Maatsen - 5 - good control, no where to be seen for the goal, ran the ball out a few times. Willing to give him benefit of the doubt and let him bed in

Sheaf - 7 - solid, and unlucky for the ball that hit the bar, had a couple of misplaced passes, but was in the right place at the right team to bounce the ball to Gyokeres
Hamer - 5 - one of his poorest games for us

O’Hare - 9 - best player on the pitch for me, every forward drive went through him, set up the goal and won the free kick for the 2nd

Waghorn - 6 - quiet game, was often isolated first half
Gyokeres - 7 - similar to Waghorn, grew into the game though and took his goal well

Jones - 7 - pleasantly surprised with how well he slotted in at LWB, and how well he played
Rose - 7 - made the defence far more solid when he came on
Walker - 5 - movement was good, didn’t touch the ball enough to have an impact

the rumpo kid

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread yet but sheafs sideways touch for viktors goal was exceptional. Most player would have swung at it and hit the on coming defender but his quick feet and thought made it easy for vik.

shmmeee

Probably not the right thing, but I did feel McFadzean needed to come across and wipe their guy out for their goal. Sheaf was never going to catch him.

SBAndy

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread yet but sheafs sideways touch for viktors goal was exceptional. Most player would have swung at it and hit the on coming defender but his quick feet and thought made it easy for vik.

They were questioning on the highlights whether he meant that touch. I just recall his quick feet last season for Hamer’s goal v Blues.

Somerset Sky Blue

Yep, look at how he celebrated the winner, he's definitely not 'uninterested'

Just because he doesn't run round like a headless chicken doesn't mean he is uninterested
Fully agree.
Some have walked on 5 and Jones on 7.
I was pleased that Jodi came back, keen for the ball and wasn't troubled defensively, a good, safe return for him. But, to say that walker was less influential (or not interested), I don't get. I'd happily give them the same mark, 7 seems fair. Walker offered a different threat to waghorn.
I can't wait for MR mixing up our attack by introducing (2 of) Godden, Jones, bright and one of the other strikers - will stretch and challenge the opposition after 65/70 minutes. Good options to have.

PVA

Fully agree.
I was pleased that Jodi came back, keen for the ball and wasn't troubled defensively, a good, safe return for him. But, to say that walker was less influential (or not interested), I don't get. I'd happily give them the same mark, 7 seems fair. Walker offered a different threat to waghorn.
I can't wait for MR mixing up our attack by introducing (2 of) Godden, Jones, bright and one of the other strikers - will stretch and challenge the opposition after 65/70 minutes. Good options to have.

Yep definitely much stronger options than bringing on Biamou/Bakayoko and Shipley/Allen, which is pretty much all we had for a good chunk of the season.

Somerset Sky Blue

I
Yep definitely much stronger options than bringing on Biamou/Bakayoko and Shipley/Allen, which is pretty much all we had for a good chunk of the season.

I also think it compares well to most teams in this league (assuming we can get/keep them fit). Once the 7/8 games a month kicks in, we will be glad to have a front four we can rotate without a significant drop in quality.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Fully agree.
See i gave Walker a 5 becuase he barely touched the ball. Not his fault of course. Thought Jones looked Promising, this is coming from someone who wouldn’t have given Jones a new contract.

fatso

After a less than impressive first half, he showed some sublime touches once he settled down, if he can be consistent he could be a real favourite this season.

Somerset Sky Blue

See i gave Walker a 5 becuase he barely touched the ball. Not his fault of course. Thought Jones looked Promising, this is coming from someone who wouldn’t have given Jones a new contract.
Fair enough, ratings are about opinions.
For me, Walker was in a more central, attacking position with tighter marking, whereas jones was left in plenty of space on the wing.
I also thought walker did 'occupy' the defenders and made them work.

Otis

Fair enough, ratings are about opinions.
For me, Walker was in a more central, attacking position with tighter marking, whereas jones was left in plenty of space on the wing.
I also thought walker did 'occupy' the defenders and made them work.
Jones was fine ON the ball. Yet to see him in any meaningful challenge yet.

Sky Blue Pete

I thought so too but commentators thoughts it was a lucky ricochet

AOM

I don't really get the 'Walker uninterested' take - game of opinions I guess.

Personally thought Walker was better up front than Waghorn yesterday. Hopefully gets a start against Northampton for some match fitness.
Still early days for Waghorn and I'd imagine is still getting used to the team

Users who are viewing this thread