Player ratings (1 Viewer)

CCFCSteve

Some very harsh ratings on O'Hare and Godden (who admittedly is not back to 100%).....sometimes I think I'm watching a different game given the comments on here.

To be fair, I think most explained why. Godden still not fully up to speed and it wasn’t really Ohares (or Goddens) type of game. No messing from defence and midfield in terms of getting the ball forward, so in the air a lot. Viktor might’ve been more suited to last night, bit more pace now he’s fit, runs the channels well. Would be tempted to start him Sunday alongside either Walker or Godden depending on fitness

Hobo

Just out of interest, I agree that Godden isn’t fit, and shouldn’t be in the team. So, I wouldn’t write Gyokeres off, because I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him to judge. My memory tells me that Gyokeres has had two chances in his substitute performances, and has scored them both. He also offers a physicality that Godden doesn’t. I’m not against Godden by any means, but at the moment it seems to me that playing Godden means we’re playing with 10 men. We need to start Walker with Gyokeres. I’m guessing that Godden will start on Saturday, and I hope he proves me wrong by scoring the winner!

I agree with your observations. But Godden is our best striker and he is lacking match sharpness so you need to give him minutes, even if he might only find form for last two or three games. But Gyokeres is in the same boat and has been lacking gametime. Almost got in last night apart from some good defending by Wood.

AOM

Hyam quietly had a storming game. Can remember 3 big headers he won. I know he's been ill but the time out of the firing line (he's needed it since middle of Dec tbh) might have done him the world of good.

Dacosta has some great attitudes. He's quick, strong and clearly lots of energy. By all accounts he still doesn't speak much English and you can see he's frustrated with himself alot, it looks like he knows he can do better. He's young and a work in progress. I'm not writing him off yet at all.

Agree with this. Considering Hyam has been ill recently and Robins was saying he'd lost weight from it, I thought he came in and did really well last night.

Not sure what to think of Dacosta...
Made some great tackles and looks like he'll run all day, but a lot of his touches and passing looks like he's just hitting and hoping. Positionally dodgy too, but as Robins said last night, must be hard being locked down inside all the time in a new country away from your family when you don't know the language well. Can see him improving

Terry_dactyl

DaCosta wasn’t great with the ball but I felt like he’d really taken onboard feedback from the QPR game and stuck to his position well and was defensively solid.
I thought he had a very good game. A couple of mis-placed passes that were possibly only highlighted by previous poor performance. Tracked back excellently, got forward really well.
I noticed after a misplaced pass someone -possibly hyam- encouraging him as having a quick word. I liked that.

NorthernWisdom

I agree with your observations. But Godden is our best striker and he is lacking match sharpness so you need to give him minutes, even if he might only find form for last two or three games. But Gyokeres is in the same boat and has been lacking gametime. Almost got in last night apart from some good defending by Wood.
Having him as the change on 60 minutes next game is maybe no bad thing, however.

KenilworthSkyBlue

DaCosta wasn’t great with the ball but I felt like he’d really taken onboard feedback from the QPR game and stuck to his position well and was defensively solid.

He wasn't bad at all. He desperately needs to be taught to stick to his position though. I noticed on a number of occasions he came flying forward to close down/tackle Rotherham players that were more or less on their half way line. You can't criticise him for a lack of enthusiasm but better sides would've capitalised on that.

Skybluefaz

I actually thought O'Hare closed down well and forced errors in the first half. That sort of work often isnt pretty on the eye but without it it turns into a different game. I thought Walker had upped his work rate last night too.
The out of possession stuff with him is a given. I wanted a bit more influence in possession. Probably not the type of game that offers him the opportunity tbf.

fernandopartridge

He wasn't bad at all. He desperately needs to be taught to stick to his position though. I noticed on a number of occasions he came flying forward to close down/tackle Rotherham players that were more or less on their half way line. You can't criticise him for a lack of enthusiasm but better sides would've capitalised on that.
He follows the ball it seems, a couple of times we were on the ball in midfield and he was really narrow despite having loads of space down his side.

NorthernWisdom

I thought for the first 60 minutes he was poor - reactive rather than anticipating runs, out of position, and offering little width. Last 30 minutes he did well, however. Funny you say about tackling, there were a few times when I thought he didn't commit when it was 50-50, and only did belatedly when either others had joined in, or it was a 'safe' lost cause. Not sure if that was just linked to the reactive thing though - it seems sometimes his brain takes a while to kick in what he's supposed to be doing.

KenilworthSkyBlue

He follows the ball it seems, a couple of times we were on the ball in midfield and he was really narrow despite having loads of space down his side.

He definitely does. It's like a magnet for him. It reminds me of that one child at school who is utterly useless at football but regardless will always try and close everyone down.

He certainly needs a lot of coaching on how to best utilise space on the pitch.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I thought for the first 60 minutes he was poor - reactive rather than anticipating runs, out of position, and offering little width. Last 30 minutes he did well, however. Funny you say about tackling, there were a few times when I thought he didn't commit when it was 50-50, and only did belatedly when either others had joined in, or it was a 'safe' lost cause. Not sure if that was just linked to the reactive thing though - it seems sometimes his brain takes a while to kick in what he's supposed to be doing.

Compared to his recent performances I don't think he was awful. He obviously was far from brilliant but there was at least slight improvement. There's significant work that needs to be done to get to him to the level that's required in the Championship though as he completely lacks discipline. In all aspects of his game he acts before he thinks.

There was a mixture of him failing to commit then him committing well when I expected him to lose his man. As he grew into the game he was more inclined to put a foot in and close down the opposition - especially when Giles came on. In the first half he looked totally lost.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Some very harsh ratings on O'Hare and Godden (who admittedly is not back to 100%).....sometimes I think I'm watching a different game given the comments on here.

He looked like he was constantly running through treacle and his miss was appalling.

Regardless of whether he's not totally fit, his ratings are fair.

Last edited:

DannyThomas_1981

He looked like he was constantly running through treacle and his miss was appalling.

Regardless of whether he's not totally fit, his ratings are fair.

I hear you Kenilworth but from my perspective the movement of our starting front two put us on the front foot from the start last night. We took the game to them and played in their half.

Completely random question - Iast summer I often saw someone on the Kenilworth Greenway in a City shirt at week-ends - not you by chance? More than understand we must have quite a few City fans in Kenilworth!

PVA

McCallum was man of the match but James was superb.

I don't get this thing about him being a poor signing or an unnecessary signing. He's been by far our best midfielder since he signed, not even close.

shmmeee

McCallum was man of the match but James was superb.

I don't get this thing about him being a poor signing or an unnecessary signing. He's been by far our best midfielder since he signed, not even close.

Isnt that more because our other midfielders have been injured or massively out of form? He’s had a couple of good games, last night being one, but he’s been anonymous more than he’s been impressive for me. Definite quality and I’d have him ahead of Kelly, but that doesn’t change the underlying question of whether a DM was the right signing when we had one fit AM and one fit ST

PVA

Isnt that more because our other midfielders have been injured or massively out of form? He’s had a couple of good games, last night being one, but he’s been anonymous more than he’s been impressive for me. Definite quality and I’d have him ahead of Kelly, but that doesn’t change the underlying question of whether a DM was the right signing when we had one fit AM and one fit ST

But that's on the assumption that was a case of James OR an AM/ST

And we don't know that. We did sign and a striker as well.

I think he was just too good of a player to turn down and with the amount of games he's played its a bloody good job he did sign or we'd have had Shipley/Allen in midfield for a few games and no cover on the bench.

Hamer has been poor for a few months, Sheaf has been injured, Kelly has been ok. We'd be right in the shit without James.

shmmeee

But that's on the assumption that was a case of James OR an AM/ST

And we don't know that. We did sign and a striker as well.

I think he was just too good of a player to turn down and with the amount of games he's played its a bloody good job he did sign or we'd have had Shipley/Allen in midfield for a few games and no cover on the bench.

Hamer has been poor for a few months, Sheaf has been injured, Kelly has been ok. We'd be right in the shit without James.

Well we didn’t know in Jan Sheaf was going to get inured and Hamer was going to be replaced with his twin brother who’s never seen a football to be fair.

It’s worked out, but I’d stand by my judgement at the time.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Having slept on it I think i would rate individual players probably on the lower side compared to some.

It was a decent team performance and that is what got us the result in reality. Rotherham were poor on the night, probably had 15 to 20 minutes leading up to half time where they put us under any sort of pressure but that is about it. Yes you can put that down to how CCFC played in part but to be honest Rotherham looked out of ideas and disorganised especially in defence. We failed to exploit that - our attack was not that great. That said every player put in a decent shift and all looked like they were playing for the shirt.

Wilson - had little to do other than lump the ball up the pitch, 6
Ostigard - had a strong game, scored, for me the player to stand out the most 8+
McFadzean - another strong performer and his leadership vital 8
Hyam - best game he has played in a while no silly mistakes and solid in defence 7+
Da Costa - has really worried me previously but last night was much better. Still inconsistent and tactically needs to improve 6
Kelly - Solid without being outstanding. protected the defence well 7
James - getting better as he gets more games, 7+
McCallum - solid in defence, got forward, stood up well to some strong tackles on him and didnt back down 8
OHare - rans his legs off, thankless task chasing players down over and over but he didnt create much attacking wise, should have scored 7-
Godden - Hardly noticed him to be honest apart from that glaring miss, not fit, not sharp 5
Walker - showed flashes and worked hard, offered some threat 6

Subs would give them 6 each

MR - he got it bang on for this match. 8

overall the thing that made the biggest difference in play, in what we could achieve, was the quartet of Ostigard, McFadzean, Kelly & James - Rotherham were just not going to get past them. We had in them leadership on the pitch

3 vital points, on to the next game which i expect to be much harder

Johhny Blue

I would mark Wilson down for his own stupidity. If he'd of caught their guy with that backhander he would most certainly of been sent off.
And it would of been Robins out theyre all shit and we're going down
Has to be more disciplined. He would have been better off going to ground and giving the ref a decision to make

TM8792

O'Hare had a stinker. He's an attacking mid who created nothing and completely bottled (shock!) the only chance he did have, but he's getting 6's and 7's because he ran around a lot. I despair.

shmmeee

O'Hare had a stinker. He's an attacking mid who created nothing and completely bottled (shock!) the only chance he did have, but he's getting 6's and 7's because he ran around a lot. I despair.

Who would you play in his place?

SBAndy

Being honest, I didn’t think O’Hare had a good game the other night, and would have probably scored him a 5 or 6. Just nothing seemed to be coming off, and whilst he did press it wasn’t in his usual dogged manner. Was telling that he was brought off after 70, may well not have been fully fit.

fernandopartridge

Being honest, I didn’t think O’Hare had a good game the other night, and would have probably scored him a 5 or 6. Just nothing seemed to be coming off, and whilst he did press it wasn’t in his usual dogged manner. Was telling that he was brought off after 70, may well not have been fully fit.
His decision making and execution was a bit off but his contribution to the team pressing Rotherham and bullying them was good

Hertsccfc

I'm a big fan of O'Hare but I agree. Maybe the occasion got to him and I don't think the early chance he failed to score helped. It's a pity as he was trying to do the right thing and show composure but the keeper did well. I actually thought it was a good sign that he didn't snatch at the chance and hope that it not coming off on that occasion doesn't affect him. Bearing in mind his great attitude and abilities I am confident he will come back strong from this especially as we won anyway.

stupot07

I'm a big fan of O'Hare but I agree. Maybe the occasion got to him and I don't think the early chance he failed to score helped. It's a pity as he was trying to do the right thing and show composure but the keeper did well. I actually thought it was a good sign that he didn't snatch at the chance and hope that it not coming off on that occasion doesn't affect him. Bearing in mind his great attitude and abilities I am confident he will come back strong from this especially as we won anyway.

That chance has to go down as the worse miss of the season. The problem is, he didn't show composure, yes he didn't snatch at it, but he dithered then just put it straight at the keeper. That's not composure that's indecision.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
12f7fe64162f668a2137878bdaa8bbad.jpg

Hertsccfc

That chance has to go down as the worse miss of the season. The problem is, he didn't show composure, yes he didn't snatch at it, but he dithered then just put it straight at the keeper.

It wasn't even the worst miss in that match or minute. He tried to chip it over the keeper. Others he has missed have been because of lack if composure. This wasn’t.

stupot07

It wasn't even the worst miss in that match or minute. He tried to chip it over the keeper. Others he has missed have been because of lack if composure. This wasn’t.
Sorry not having that one bit. It was indecision not compure. He left it too late it left him with no other alternative but to trying and chip the keeper whilst he was still quite upright.

My previous post has the picture of when he gets the ball, he has so many options to score. He differed.
2fc5eec3b51795ec24612db6d57ed49a.jpg

Last edited:

SBAndy

Sorry not having that one bit. It was indecision not compure. He left it too late it left him with no other alternative but to trying and chip the keeper whilst he was still quite upright.

My previous post has the picture of when he gets the ball, he has so many options to score. He differed.
2fc5eec3b51795ec24612db6d57ed49a.jpg

The lack of decision just to slot it to the keeper’s left was really poor. He did then make the right decision to try and lob it over the keeper, but had already missed the really easy chance.

stupot07

The lack of decision just to slot it to the keeper’s left was really poor. He did then make the right decision to try and lob it over the keeper, but had already missed the really easy chance.
Absolutely, he has the whole goal to aim at, and so much space. Its indefensible.
cef1c9a4c8ebb037865bd0f58a98be1c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread