McCallum 5 - looked unfit
Kelly 6 - ok game not his best
Hamer 7 - +1 for goal
Shipley 4 - shocker
O’Hare 4 - shocker, -1 for absolutely bottling the 1v1
Giles 5 - quiet game, didnt get him on the ball enough
Walker 6 - not a lot he could do i dont think

shmmeee

We'll concede in most games regardless of formation. I've even discussed this with you in previous posts so pressing this point to me is purposeless. The formation isn't the common denominator to our defensive issues, the quality and ability of our back line is.

But in the same breath, this issue is also why I believe that usual formation will exacerbate mistakes against better opposition or high press teams. As giving our CB's license to have more time on the ball is borderline suicide - something I believe our usual formation does. Hence why I have consistently reiterated in recent weeks that Robins needs to be more flexible in his formation choice and utilise the 3-5-2/3-5-1-1 against teams who are either of little threat going forward, use the high press or don't play in a similar style to Birmingham/Cardiff/Norwich, and in turn utilise the formation we now use against teams who's style is essentially opposite of the aforementioned styles or at the very least less threatening.

I think the key to surviving in the Championship is to be adaptable. Unfortunately Robins has a propensity to be entrenched in his views and rarely likes to adapt to the opposition and instead will stick to one system unless something forces his hand. He needs to become more self-aware/tactically astute this season if we're going to turn losses/draws into wins and in turn, stay up. Personally, I thought this was the ideal game to utilise the usual formation as despite Derby's propensity to concentrate their attack on the wings I thought they posed little threat in the box.

Like I said even if we conceded using our usual formation, the freedom it gives our players to attack means that I have confidence in the fact that we would've probably outscored them for reasons I've already stated in my previous post.

I think we’re probably on the same page. Just so frustrating to see us build a style and identity and attract fans and young players with it, then just as we start to look like being able to adapt it to the Championship it’s like we’ve given up.

Robins has always liked 4231, generally I like 4231, I just don’t think we have the players to play it so it ends up as 451 and us just camping on the edge of our own box while Walker (who was just starting to look a real threat) gets to chase long punts all day.

Frostie

I know we all have our favourites & Hyam has certainly earned a bit of leeway but I can't believe there's 7's & 8's on here for him & someone even rating him higher than McFadz.

Kazim-Richards absolutely took the piss out of him on 2 occasions & they should have scored from both.
Also got very lucky when giving away a blatant penalty.

Can you imagine if the likes of Bakayoko or Sheaf made similar errors?

On the other hand re: O'Hare... Not at his best of course & he has to be taking at least one of those chances. What we have to remember though is his movement to get into those positions is exceptional & nobody else in our squad can do that. Definitely needs some serious work on his finishing though because the misses are piling up for him now.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I think we’re probably on the same page. Just so frustrating to see us build a style and identity and attract fans and young players with it, then just as we start to look like being able to adapt it to the Championship it’s like we’ve given up.

Robins has always liked 4231, generally I like 4231, I just don’t think we have the players to play it so it ends up as 451 and us just camping on the edge of our own box while Walker (who was just starting to look a real threat) gets to chase long punts all day.

I don't think it should be given up, Robins just needs to know when, and when not to use it. It's frustrating that something so simple seems so difficult for him.

I've said before in a previous thread regarding the 3-5-1-1/3-5-2 formation that adopting the same formation and tactics game after game will only lead to a continued run of poor results. The same applies to this new formation. This isn't last season. We're not the best team in the league anymore who can get away with using the same tactics/formation week in week out. We need to be far more adaptable and tactically astute than that.

Suit the formation and tactics to the opposition's strengths and weaknesses.

Bugsy

Is Shippers tired or injured ? It’s a bit mean what is being said of someone who is true sky blue

some of our so called fans are absurd.

does what we can all the time and got a cracking finish on him ....PUSB

robbiekeane

We'll concede in most games regardless of formation. I've even discussed this with you in previous posts so pressing this point to me is purposeless. The formation isn't the common denominator to our defensive issues, the quality and ability of our back line is.

But in the same breath, this issue is also why I believe that usual formation will exacerbate mistakes against better opposition or high press teams. As giving our CB's license to have more time on the ball is borderline suicide - something I believe our usual formation does. Hence why I have consistently reiterated in recent weeks that Robins needs to be more flexible in his formation choice and utilise the 3-5-2/3-5-1-1 against teams who are either of little threat going forward, use the high press or don't play in a similar style to Birmingham/Cardiff/Norwich, and in turn utilise the formation we now use against teams who's style is essentially opposite of the aforementioned styles or at the very least less threatening.

I think the key to surviving in the Championship is to be adaptable. Unfortunately Robins has a propensity to be entrenched in his views and rarely likes to adapt to the opposition and instead will stick to one system unless something forces his hand. He needs to become more self-aware/tactically astute this season if we're going to turn losses/draws into wins and in turn, stay up. Personally, I thought this was the ideal game to utilise the usual formation as despite Derby's propensity to concentrate their attack on the wings I thought they posed little threat in the box.

Like I said even if we conceded using our usual formation, the freedom it gives our players to attack means that I have confidence in the fact that we would've probably outscored them for reasons I've already stated in my previous post.
Agree with this, good summary. Exactly right about needing to be adaptable too

Colin Steins Smile

I understand the frustrations from fans following last night. I thought a number of our players were looking fatigued and hadn't recovered from Saturdays game.

I would have expected the sports science staff to be closely monitoring the players and implementing recovery strategies. The players responsibility is to maximise rest and recovery away from the training ground.

We've played Wednesday, Saturday & Tuesday with a long coach trip to Norwich in the middle. I doubt the team would have got home much before midnight and that really does emphasise the need for players to be really disciplined in their lifestyle away from the training ground.

MR has a tricky job and has to make selection assessments for instance ....whether a 60% fit [e.g. Dabo] is a better option than McCallum at RWB/RB. Clearly, the number of games, in short succession, is testing the depth of the squad and that could have been a factor in the initial team selection last Saturday.

Skybluefaz

Given how he was slaughtered and written off by many without getting a chance I really think that Wilson has not been praised enough probably people would lose face too much if overly praise but he has been very good last two games and produced some great saves!
I'll happily admit I was wrong. I thought he'd drop a bollock within the first 2 games. Totally wrong. Been very good.

BackRoomRummermill

Given how he was slaughtered and written off by many without getting a chance I really think that Wilson has not been praised enough probably people would lose face too much if overly praise but he has been very good last two games and produced some great saves!

yes they should be ashamed and keep their unreasoned mouths shut . Mind you the first mistake he will inevitably make they will all scurry back saying I told you so , yes we will all believe they are football experts for about a millisecond,
FORWARD !
SHOOT !
What genius they are ...... not

robbiekeane

yes they should be ashamed and keep their unreasoned mouths shut . Mind you the first mistake he will inevitably make they will all scurry back saying I told you so , yes we will all believe they are football experts for about a millisecond,
FORWARD !
SHOOT !
What genius they are ...... not
you alright hun

Users who are viewing this thread