Phil Brown (1 Viewer)

skybluebeduff

The usual suspects making jokes about a guy who's C.V is so far more superior to their own is the biggest joke I've ever read on a forum :facepalm: You utter jokers!!!

hill83

The usual suspects making jokes about a guy who's C.V is so far more superior to their own is the biggest joke I've ever read on a forum :facepalm: You utter jokers!!!

I'm not for or against Brown, as at the moment I don't give a shit. Just getting that out of the way.

But what are you talking about? Shall we not talk about this at all? None of us are football managers.
Let's not bother with politics either, as we probably don't have experience of being a politician.
I had a bad tasting lager the other day, didn't mention anything though as I don't have first hand knowledge of fermenting yeast.

Senior Vick from Alicante

Just to put my two penneth in. Speculation is great it gets the fans voicing their pros and cons for each prospective candidate, its a debate we can all get involved with and feel passionate about. Truth is Fisher and Waggot know their is a lot riding on this one and Waggot tends to talk a lot of sense whenever I have heard him speak. Fisher will probably be relying more on Waggots input on this one than any thing else as he is the one with the most football connections, he will be able to do the ground work on the potential aplicants and find out the background information that would either promote or demote any candidates chance of getting the job. Unless SISU are willing to stump up some serious money for a wage then all you can expect to get is someone who is on the free transfer list so to speak. One thing is for sure you can speculate about Brown and Wise And Dublin all you like, my own opinion is that they wont go for inexperience, they need to turn it round as quick as possible but the only ones that will know are Fisher and Waggot and they dont speak unless they need to.

wingy

I will add that "I'd absolutely love it " if he can prove me wrong,I just remember those two games when he was in charge at Derby when we absolutely stuffed them,They were the days.

Sky Blue M

The more I think about it the more I don't want him here. I am happy to be proven wrong but I think we will be looking for a new manager again next season if we appoint him.

skybluesteve76

Even if he does, is 'okay' what we really need?

We need a revolution. Something that will bring the fans back. Without that we are still going to not make our budget and continue to lose money hand over fist.

We need inspiration and a complete overhaul and as I say, a revolution.

The most important signing since 1961 needs to be so much better than someone who we think will do okay unfortunately.

Okay is better than absolutely abysmally feckin awful!!! Thats where we are at the minute.

Otis

Okay is better than absolutely abysmally feckin awful!!! Thats where we are at the minute.

Tis indeed.

Just think with so much upheaval over so many years we now need stability. That is why it is so important to get this appointment right, not just for this season, but for the foreseeable future.

We need a manager who can take us out of League One but can also make us a force to be reckoned with in the Championship too.

skyblueman

Maybe Brown can if it's going to be him.. maybe he is one for the long-haul - who knows

All I know is that I will be completely underwhelmed by his appointment - I was really hoping for someone who would have the biggest possible impact in the shortest possible time and give us a fair chance of getting up first try - I am now of the opinion with our woeful start and band of seemingly lacklustre players this is already out of reach

Otis

'All I know is that I will be completely underwhelmed by his appointment'

Exactly where I am. We need someone who will shake up the whole club. Someone who will make an enormous impact.

Adams had success then failed.
Dowie had success then failed
Reid had success then failed
Boothroyd had success then failed.
In an ideal world I would like someone who has had success, has then failed, but then has gone on to have success again (someone who has learnt from mistakes and turned things round again). Phil Brown has failed to do this. It's been success followed by failure. No success since that whiff of success some 3 years ago.

Be brilliant if we could find someone who has only had success of course, but to do that we have to look to the lower leagues, cos everyone else will have been snapped up or be already plying their trade at a higher level.

Brighton Sky Blue

Otis is convinced that to do a 'complete overhaul' you have to be some shitty lower league Manager who has about 3years in the game, with a half decent win percentage versus little more than pub players.

Apparently if you have a fail on your CV then you're shit - regardless of the great things you've achieved. Has anyone told Otis that Sir Alex got sacked by St. Mirren? Otis wouldn't have touched him with a barge pole.

Sorry Rich, but he was sacked by St Mirren for the way he went about getting himself the Aberdeen job-not because he had a bad spell as manager.

zuniga

Aside from "he got Hull promoted", why are we considering giving the job to Brown? What are his qualities as a manager? Hardly a good word said about him from either Hull or Preston fans. He appears the sort of bloke who would end up falling out with most of our players and would just make things worse than they already are. I've heard some of our fans say things like "he wouldn't take any sh*t from our players" and that he'd sort us out and get us winning again, but he didn't do that at Preston - I don't think they won a game until 2 months after he joined them, and they were on a similar downward spiral to us.

I think we have good players at this club who are short on confidence and direction, and from what I've heard from Hull and Preston fans, I'm not at all convinced Brown is the type of manager to give us what we need.

I'm also concerned about the coaching levels at the club. Whoever comes in needs to be a good coach who can totally revamp whatever it is we do in training, because the lack of any method on the pitch is really starting to grate with me now. Brown doesn't strike me as someone who will come in with fresh ideas on the training pitch, and the idea of a coaching team of Brown, Shaw, Carsley and Oggy is really uninspiring.

Hope I'm proved wrong if he is appointed, but I think this could be a suicide appointment with attendances already down. Unless he gets off to a good start and maintains it, I can't see our fans being particularly supportive of him.

Evans020

I dont get how anybody can judge Phil browns tenure at Coventry city because it hasn't happened yet.
And for all you know he could do very well.
My personal choice is Richard money and I would have him over Dennis wise anyday

Otis

Aside from "he got Hull promoted", why are we considering giving the job to Brown? What are his qualities as a manager? Hardly a good word said about him from either Hull or Preston fans. He appears the sort of bloke who would end up falling out with most of our players and would just make things worse than they already are. I've heard some of our fans say things like "he wouldn't take any sh*t from our players" and that he'd sort us out and get us winning again, but he didn't do that at Preston - I don't think they won a game until 2 months after he joined them, and they were on a similar downward spiral to us.

I think we have good players at this club who are short on confidence and direction, and from what I've heard from Hull and Preston fans, I'm not at all convinced Brown is the type of manager to give us what we need.

I'm also concerned about the coaching levels at the club. Whoever comes in needs to be a good coach who can totally revamp whatever it is we do in training, because the lack of any method on the pitch is really starting to grate with me now. Brown doesn't strike me as someone who will come in with fresh ideas on the training pitch, and the idea of a coaching team of Brown, Shaw, Carsley and Oggy is really uninspiring.

Hope I'm proved wrong if he is appointed, but I think this could be a suicide appointment with attendances already down. Unless he gets off to a good start and maintains it, I can't see our fans being particularly supportive of him.

Good post, though a fair few Hull fans do rate him.

CJparker

I for one am quite looking forward to having him, he was quite high on my list of options when AT came under fire.

One question though, what is it with orange people and our club, can we not do without a fake-tanned one somewhere, i.e. Joe Elliot, Orange Ken etc

Mucca Mad Boys

Well, to start, decent post, not my 1st choice tbh BUT, what has he got on his CV which most don't have, a promotion, not only a promotion but the prem, most of the candidates haven't had a promotion, I know for a FACT Blackwell, Wise, Money haven't had a single promotion.

I'm sure they'll pick the best of all the candidates...

... How many of them are good? Not many.

skyblueman

Well, to start, decent post, not my 1st choice tbh BUT, what has he got on his CV which most don't have, a promotion, not only a promotion but the prem, most of the candidates haven't had a promotion, I know for a FACT Blackwell, Wise, Money haven't had a single promotion.

Think that's exactly right SBT, if it's Brown it's the promotion to the prem that's got them hooked... think they are a bit dazzled by that

CJparker

Any why not, getting Hull City into the PL was a massive achievement, exceeded only by keeping them there!

skyblueman

Any why not, getting Hull City into the PL was a massive achievement, exceeded only by keeping them there!

I agree it was .. just that I suppose his record since then rather takes the shine off it.. but obviously you never know he must have had something about him at some point - maybe if it is him this will be his renaissance... bloody hope so

stevo_ccfc

I'm pretty certain Money got Walsall promoted from league 2 to league 1...

ICHAN

Unfortunatly beggers can't be choosers, we are in the management market as we are in the players market, where we attract the same level of manager as we do players.
We as a club don't have a lot to attract profile people, the potential is there to get this club promoted and promoted again, this could be possible with the right set up, the right motivation and as we have seen, teams get promoted and the confidance and ambition continues into the next year.

As many have said, and I have said, this desicion can and may, make or break this club, and it has to be taken very seriously, no good us falling out over someone who hasn't been appointed yet, Waggot and Fisher have a huge responsibility here and they need to get this right.
Interview and interview again, and the slightest doubt in any candidate they must be dismissed and they need to look again, I wonder if that bloke from abroad reapplied this time? can't remember his name, I wonder if any foreign manager has applied, surely there are candidates from differant countries who would love the chance to manage a team from England.
I just think no stone should be left unturned in making this desision, get this wrong and we are back to the Thorn scenario and other managers over the last few years where it goes pear shaped and they don't know what to do anymore, and the fan base dwindles even more and the fans get split.

stupot07

I'm pretty certain Money got Walsall promoted from league 2 to league 1...

Money returned to England to become manager of Walsall in May 2006, signing a two-year contract.[3] He guided Walsall to the League Two title in the 2006–07 season, with the club conceding just 34 goals over 46 games.

skyblueman

Unfortunatly beggers can't be choosers, we are in the management market as we are in the players market, where we attract the same level of manager as we do players.
We as a club don't have a lot to attract profile people, the potential is there to get this club promoted and promoted again, this could be possible with the right set up, the right motivation and as we have seen, teams get promoted and the confidance and ambition continues into the next year.

As many have said, and I have said, this desicion can and may, make or break this club, and it has to be taken very seriously, no good us falling out over someone who hasn't been appointed yet, Waggot and Fisher have a huge responsibility here and they need to get this right.
Interview and interview again, and the slightest doubt in any candidate they must be dismissed and they need to look again, I wonder if that bloke from abroad reapplied this time? can't remember his name, I wonder if any foreign manager has applied, surely there are candidates from differant countries who would love the chance to manage a team from England.
I just think no stone should be left unturned in making this desision, get this wrong and we are back to the Thorn scenario and other managers over the last few years where it goes pear shaped and they don't know what to do anymore, and the fan base dwindles even more and the fans get split.

Absolutely right it's the most important decision for years... just not sure I trust Fisher & Waggot to get it right I suppose

CJparker

But there will be doubt about any candidate, we just have to make the best decision for the club on balance

ICHAN

We have no option, lets hope they get this right, they surely have to get something right, lets hope this is their one moment, they could turn out to be heros and maybe just maybe fans will start trusting what they are doing/trying to do and we can leave this fing mess that has been created behind us and leave it where it belongs in the history books of this club.
We could look back at this in a few years time and think we needed that as we have come out of it a better and stronger club.

davebart

The difference between 1962 and now is that Jimmy Hill had the support of Dereck Robbins. Any new manager will have the support of........SISU.

Otis

My bad, I was 60/40 he didn't.

People pointing out Brown failed at PNE, but Money failed at Luton.

Without wanting to keep bangin on about it though, people are saying that Brown had success but then has had nothing but failure since and 3 managerial positions, 3 sackings doesn't exactly get your mouth watering either does it.

Don't think anyone has got any problem with anyone being sacked. That isn't the issue. Look at Money's stats though and they are far superior to Phil Brown's.

Users who are viewing this thread