Paulo Di Canio (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

I've always said Di Canio...even before Robins came here. A 50% + win ratio at Swindon in this league would be a fine replacement for MR.

Think he'll hold out for West Ham though....

WM

ggrady

Tbh being a nazi doesn't make any difference to a game of football surely? He's a very good manager and I think he would get us promoted no problem

WestEndAgro

I would take him over Phil Brown every day of the week, I love his passion and enthusiasm, okay he is crazy and has some extreme views, but I genuinely believe he could give us the final momentum to reach the playoffs.
Will he come ? I doubt it, but we can't completely rule it out.

Sick Boy

Tbh being a nazi doesn't make any difference to a game of football surely? He's a very good manager and I think he would get us promoted no problem

Then why was there such a fuss when Lee Hughes played at the Ricoh? After all, it shouldn't make much difference to a game of football?

Mucca Mad Boys

He a frigging nazi prick. We are a proud and progressive football club. We can make it without that c- unit

I don't think politics and football go well together, as a manager, I judge him on his previous results, which are good, I'd be happy for him to be our manager, so long he doesn't involve his politics with our football, which tbf to him, I don't think he's done that at Swindon.

P.S. I'm anti-fascist and stand on the opposite side to di Canio.

He's an admirer of Mussolini, not Hitler, Mussolini had a different 'brand' of Facism, which wasn't AS extreme as Hitler's (still extreme though) he's not a nazi.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Sam Morshead ‏@SamMorshead_SA
Di Canio first resigned last Tuesday and missed training on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week.

This guy writes for a Swindon based newspaper.

BrisbaneBronco

The only good thing about Di Canio resigning is that it will increase our chances of promotion. Swindons form may drop off, Tranmere are already falling away, so two places up for grabs and us to sneak 6th.

Mucca Mad Boys

Excatly, he is on camera giving the nazi salute in public. Enough said. He's worming his way back to West Ham ( a natural home for him). Not for us.

The 'Fascist salute' was used by Mussolini, who copied it off the Romans, which Hitler copied.

Fascism is extreme nationalism (as well as an authoritarian stance to society) and Nazism, Italian Fascism and German Fascism are different in nature, lets not forget that. Di Canio isn't a nazi.

I'd like to set the record straight, I'm on the left and I am strictly anti-fascist.

The 'Fascist salute' was used by Mussolini, who copied it off the Romans, which Hitler copied.

Fascism is extreme nationalism (as well as an authoritarian stance to society) and Nazism, Italian Fascism and German Fascism are different in nature, lets not forget that. Di Canio isn't a nazi.

I'd like to set the record straight, I'm on the left and I am strictly anti-fascist.

I do not question your knowledge of history and where the salute originated from but I doubt he used it in a Romanic way. He used it the way that states exactly what he stands for.

Mucca Mad Boys

I do not question your knowledge of history and where the salute originated from but I doubt he used it in a Romanic way. He used it the way that states exactly what he stands for.

Ignore the roman part, in fact, don't, because the Roman Empire heavily influenced Mussolini and his foreign policy, Mussolini was definitely a racist and so is Di Canio, although there is no evidence of him being racist, if he keeps it to himself, it's bad he thinks like that, but at least he doesn't open his mouth about it.

If Di Canio became manager, I'd have no problem, so long he didn't bring shame on our club by giving that salute or making racist comments and of course, he got results. He would also bring a fair bit of publicity and media coverage to our club which wouldn't be too bad, would it?

dadgad

Lazio though, for whom Di Canio played for, is a club well known for its right wing tendency. This goes way beyond simply being right of centre; Mussolini supported them and even recently the SErbian right were embraced by the "ultras" who had a subversive role in the way the club was run. Di Canio, a great footballing talent, supported this club and when he became a player acknowledged the fan base with the infamous salute. It is debatable whether he gave this salute because he actually embraces fascist ideals or simply as a gesture of solidarity with "his" fans?
Lazio are a vile club, they have never stood up to the racists among their fans and because of this the fascist element within Italian society has adopted Lazio as their club. For this reason the behaviour of Di Canio has been at best ill advised and at worst downright moronic.
I have no idea what his politics are.... he's an odd ball....a passionate character and in these days of boring footballers and managers a breath of fresh air.
However, before he managed my club in a city that was once bombed by the Nazis I'd like him to be clear about his rejection of Italian neo-fascism as it clings to him like bad smell. Fair enough?

Mucca Mad Boys

Lazio though, for whom Di Canio played for, is a club well known for its right wing tendency. This goes way beyond simply being right of centre; Mussolini supported them and even recently the SErbian right were embraced by the "ultras" who had a subversive role in the way the club was run. Di Canio, a great footballing talent, supported this club and when he became a player acknowledged the fan base with the infamous salute. It is debatable whether he gave this salute because he actually embraces fascist ideals or simply as a gesture of solidarity with "his" fans?
Lazio are a vile club, they have never stood up to the racists among their fans and because of this the fascist element within Italian society has adopted Lazio as their club. For this reason the behaviour of Di Canio has been at best ill advised and at worst downright moronic.
I have no idea what his politics are.... he's an odd ball....a passionate character and in these days of boring footballers and managers a breath of fresh air.
However, before he managed my club in a city that was once bombed by the Nazis I'd like him to be clear about his rejection of Italian neo-fascism as it clings to him like bad smell. Fair enough?

Fair enough, but Di Canio wouldn't exactly stand up on the soapbox and start airing his nonsensical and racial views is he? Believe me, I was thinking about making an anti-fascist poster for Di Canio's arrival on the 2/3/13, just imagine if he's manager then!?

If Di Canio muzzles his political tendencies, which he has, credit to him, whilst being Swindon manager, I'm ok with that. For all we knew, MR could've been a fascist, which of course is unlikely, but still, we wouldn't have known, yet accepted him as 'one of us'.

When it comes to football, I judge players how they play, not their past nor political bias, I judge managers on their managerial ability not their past nor their political bias.

General question to all: Would there be much fuss if there was a Communist manager out there? Just wondering if it works both ways or not.

My favourite Italian football club is Livorno, and yes, I fecking hate Lazio, always preferred AS Roma, before knowing the political background to it.

dadgad

General question to all: Would there be much fuss if there was a Communist manager out there? Just wondering if it works both ways or not.

Communism means quite different things to many though.....(I know history... what went on in Russia, etc.) Fascism, on the other hand is quite different and will forever be an ideology associated with suppression of minorities and has no place in modern Europe - a continent that has overseen the overthrow of thirteen dictatorships since the advent of the EU.
Sport and football in particular are important flag bearers for tolerance and equality which is exactly why Di Canio was stupid to do what he did.

Mucca Mad Boys

Communism means quite different things to many though.....(I know history... what went on in Russia, etc.) Fascism, on the other hand is quite different and will forever be an ideology associated with suppression of minorities and has no place in modern Europe - a continent that has overseen the overthrow of thirteen dictatorships since the advent of the EU.
Sport and football in particular are important flag bearers for tolerance and equality which is exactly why Di Canio was stupid to do what he did.

Agreed, I hate Di Canio's political views, but I'd have no complaints if he did well at CCFC, and acted professionally and all the rest of.

We're talking as if he's here now! :laugh:

rswxite

Di Canio is certainly a feisty character and totally unpredictable but there's no doubt he'd have a huge impact on this club, I've a sneaky feeling he's gonna look at us and think we're something he'd wanna get his teeth into, only fear is I'd fear we'd be another stepping stone until west ham or sheff wed come calling! Either way I'd welcome him!

coundonskyblue

<p>
Communism means quite different things to many though.....(I know history... what went on in Russia, etc.) Fascism, on the other hand is quite different and will forever be an ideology associated with suppression of minorities and has no place in modern Europe - a continent that has overseen the overthrow of thirteen dictatorships since the advent of the EU.</p>
<p>Sport and football in particular are important flag bearers for tolerance and equality which is exactly why Di Canio was stupid to do what he did.

Communism has killed far more people than Nazism and is still a stain on the world today. It is equally as evil as Nazism yet a blind eye is turned to it by some.

From a football point of view, as long as a manager keeps their extreme political views private then it is no concern of ours.

<p>

Communism has killed far more people than Nazism and is still a stain on the world today. It is equally as evil as Nazism yet a blind eye is turned to it by some.

From a football point of view, as long as a manager keeps their extreme political views private then it is no concern of ours.

Only Stalinism and Maoism isn't communism as Engels and Marx wrote about it. Orwell wrote some good pieces on this subject.

Also I don't believe going around making fascist salutes is keeping anything private and it will always be my concern if there is a fascist at CCFC.

Mucca Mad Boys

<p>

... And Capitalism and 'democracy' has killed more than Communism and Fascism put together.

Last edited:

aviles

Why would we want to replace a quitter with another quitter ? especially when he left swindon for issues off the field !

Users who are viewing this thread