Paul Cook (2 Viewers)

harvey098

he’s looking like a manager on the decline and a Nathan Jones type who succeeds only at one club

Looking like a manager in decline? Hahah hes just had two promotions in 3 years. You’re not quite right you.

Also... “who succeeds only at one club” that’s lucky we’re that club then!

Who is the last manager you have actually liked? Give me just one name (I bet you can’t)

Brighton Sky Blue

Looking like a manager in decline? Hahah hes just had two promotions in 3 years. You’re not quite right you.

Who is the last manager you have actually liked? Give me just one name (I bet you can’t)

Kenny Jackett

Mowbray 2015 I'm guessing

Grendel

Sillett superb - sacked after one average season (think about that) and should have had a director of football role
Milne best season in our history in my time supporting the club and a high pedigree judge of the game
Sexton has a great youth set up and it led to some great players and backroom strife led to his removal
I can’t say I liked Gould at all but you can’t help but wonder if anyone sane would have kept the club alive post sexton and the exodus
Whatever people say about Adams in league placings he is the most successful post relegation and did a good job steering is to survival in year the last season at HR

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Sexton has a great youth set up and it led to some great players and backroom strife led to his removal

Sexton was only here two seasons and I think all of the 'youth' players you will be referring to had already been recruited by the club by the time he arrived. Oh... and Sexton didn't exactly get along with Gerry Daly and so froze one of the club's best performers over the 80-81 season out of the team. I think Sexton benefited from lucky circumstances (a lot of strong youth team players emerging at the same time) and even with that luck he still put together a dismal run at the end of the 82-83 season.

Magwitch

Sillett superb - sacked after one average season (think about that) and should have had a director of football role
Milne best season in our history in my time supporting the club and a high pedigree judge of the game
I can’t say I liked Gould at all but you can’t help but wonder if anyone sane would have kept the club alive post sexton and the exodus
Whatever people say about Adams in league placings he is the most successful post relegation and did a good job steering is to survival in year the last season at HR
A lot was said about John Sillett being sacked while in his hospital bed, a shameful act, but it has to be mentioned he had indicated he would be retiring at the end of that season and had even nominated Trevor Peake and big Cyrille to succeed him, interestingly they were amongst the first to be shown the HR door when Butcher took over. So not sticking up for the then chairman John Pointon you can understand him looking for a new manager, it was just Terry Butcher turned out to be tripe.

Grendel

A lot was said about John Sillett being sacked while in his hospital bed, a shameful act, but it has to be mentioned he had indicated he would be retiring at the end of that season and had even nominated Trevor Peake and big Cyrille to succeed him, interestingly they were amongst the first to be shown the HR door when Butcher took over. So not sticking up for the then chairman John Pointon you can understand him looking for a new manager, it was just Terry Butcher turned out to be tripe.

He would have also took a role still in the club at the end of the season. Pointon had already tried to get Souness

Magwitch

He would have also took a role still in the club at the end of the season. Pointon had already tried to get Souness
And I believe that very nearly happened and he would have been player-manager too but at the eleventh hour he as lured to in Scottish terms sleeping giant Glasgow Rangers rivals Celtic were on their way to 9 championships in a row,
Rangers or Celtic are big lures for Scots.
Think in fairness it proved the right choice.

Grendel

Sexton was only here two seasons and I think all of the 'youth' players you will be referring to had already been recruited by the club by the time he arrived. Oh... and Sexton didn't exactly get along with Gerry Daly and so froze one of the club's best performers over the 80-81 season out of the team. I think Sexton benefited from lucky circumstances (a lot of strong youth team players emerging at the same time) and even with that luck he still put together a dismal run at the end of the 82-83 season.

The reference to sexton was the only comparison I could really make in comparison to the claim the club is at its lowest ebb

Zero money to spend, crowds below 10,000 the all seater folly, the collapse of the Jimmy hill era with death threats that made Sunderland hate look very tame, players all declaring they would leave at the end of the season, players being chased down thackall street by an angry mob and the farcical final game.

All through it he retained his dignity and he kept the club away from relegation against impossible odds

Grendel

Souness was when Mackay was sacked, wasn't he?

Of course when Sillett went, some of the fanbase were turning against him anyway. It's another case of be careful what you wish for...

It really wasn’t. My understanding was souness was lined up after the heavy defeat by Liverpool on the last game of that season

Grendel

Interesting to think of the managers who might have been, adding in Mr Clough

Before my time but I think it was some game by him to get a better Derby contract

Noel Cantwell is before my time but technically is the best manager we have ever had I guess

Grendel

Grendel

Ludicrous. But unfortunately true to form for you.

Not really. He survived against all odds with no money to spend. Also he had to take teams to Anfield Highbury old Trafford etc

DannyThomas_1981

Not really. He survived against all odds with no money to spend. Also he had to take teams to Anfield Highbury old Trafford etc

This is all about you trying to discredit - for whatever reason - Robins achievements in achieving two promotions in 3 years against the odds. We were in free-fall when Robins came back and the turn-around has been sensational whatever your myopic views.

One other thing - if Sky Blues Talk had been around - during the time of Gouldy and Neal......the reality is that you'd have been shouting your head off about how you were speed dialling Allens Taxis on a weekly basis and demanding their dismissal - you just wouldn't have been able to help yourself.

Brighton Sky Blue

This is all about you trying to discredit - for whatever reason - Robins achievements in achieving two promotions in 3 years against the odds. We were in free-fall when Robins came back and the turn-around has been sensational whatever your myopic views.

One other thing - if Sky Blues Talk had been around - during the time of Gouldy and Neal......the reality is that you'd have been shouting your head off about how you were speed dialling Allens Taxis on a weekly basis and demanding their dismissal - you just wouldn't have been able to help yourself.

It's a bit like 'I'm not saying I want him sacked but look at how Barnsley and Luton sacked their managers and stayed up'

Grendel

God you are boring

Grendel

It's a bit like 'I'm not saying I want him sacked but look at how Barnsley and Luton sacked their managers and stayed up'

Nice to see you and the madman Hopkins have become best buddies. Made up for you

Skyblueweeman

His track record aside from us is on a par with Russel Slade and any success easily gets forgotten.

But his track record for us is that of statistically one of the best manager we've ever had and he's delivered silverware and two promotions.

But yeah, take that away though.

Grendel

So says the man who has posted over 55,000 times; 90% of which is totally uninformed derision of the team/manager and the rest is just uninformed nonsense.

To make that judgement you must have read every post

I’m flattered - do you want my autograph?

Other than the posts aimed at me I can’t say I remember a single post you’ve made. You actually make that fuckwit ccfcway look vaguely interesting - well almost

Grendel

But his track record for us is that of statistically one of the best manager we've ever had and he's delivered silverware and two promotions.

But yeah, take that away though.

its impossible to rank him against top flight managers

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed. He has less resources than top flight managers and managed over arguably the most turbulent period in our history.

To be honest in our present situation staying up in the Championship is close to the ceiling for us unless the stadium is sorted or a rich madman buys the club

Grendel

Agreed. He has less resources than top flight managers and managed over arguably the most turbulent period in our history.

That’s not true though is it not even our recent history let alone the debacle of the early 80’s - it’s this glib comment that I find annoying - praise him all you like but at least have some concept of the clubs history

Skyblueweeman

That’s not true though is it not even our recent history let alone the debacle of the early 80’s - it’s this glib comment that I find annoying - praise him all you like but at least have some concept of the clubs history

Did he have millions to spend like the managers of the 90s?

Is the two periods he's managed in coincided with us playing away from Coventry, a fragmented fan base and unpopular ownership?

I'm fine with you finding my comment annoying. That's that a forums about right.

But listen, hear me out...I was annoyed with calling MR a taxi last season. Didn't turn out to badly in the end did it....

Grendel

Did he have millions to spend like the managers of the 90s?

Is the two periods he's managed in coincided with us playing away from Coventry, a fragmented fan base and unpopular ownership?

I'm fine with you finding my comment annoying. That's that a forums about right.

But listen, hear me out...I was annoyed with calling MR a taxi last season. Didn't turn out to badly in the end did it....

Millions? We had the likes of John Gayle and Julian Derby. We had to get excited when Cobi Jones signed

Users who are viewing this thread