Own goal (4 Viewers)

lifeskyblue

It was a pleasure watching the women's football: improved quality on what I have seen before, played largely in right spirit with the players enjoying the games/experience. Some of the defending and tactical play left a lot to be desired but as cov fans we are used to that. Thought the own goal v unlucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esoterica

I thought it was all absolutely dreadful as either sport or entertainment. The BBC have been brainwashing people over women's football for months because they haven't got the money to compete for anything decent anymore and now it's just the next PC thing that people aren't allowed to admit they dislike. The women's game has come on leaps and bounds and while the progression towards equality is commendable, it's still not TV worthy as a spectacle yet, in my opinion.

Shakeitup

Watched nearly every game of this tournament and in terms of quality it is still light years away from the men's game - a good men's pub side would beat the England women's side, that being said it has improved an awful lot. The goalkeeping is still of an appalling standard and if the game wants to progress they really have to try and sort it out. The same can be said about the refereeing, there was a situation in one game where four minutes of added time was given and the ref blew up in the 91st. In dire need of more investment to help the development of players, instead of trying to market the WSL to male football fans. Improve the quality and general entertainment factor of the game first, then in time more and more people will start turning up to games. The overriding feeling I have after watching the tournament is that slowly buy surely the game is progressing, but the media need to criticise as well as praise it, for it to have any chance of developing. As things stand many media outlets and individual journalists are reluctant to even vaguely criticise the standard etc in fear of coming across as sexist.

Very well put. I agree with all of these sentiments.

Joy Division

I thought it was all absolutely dreadful as either sport or entertainment. The BBC have been brainwashing people over women's football for months because they haven't got the money to compete for anything decent anymore and now it's just the next PC thing that people aren't allowed to admit they dislike. The women's game has come on leaps and bounds and while the progression towards equality is commendable, it's still not TV worthy as a spectacle yet, in my opinion.

Perhaps, if anything the coverage and the success of the England womens team in this tournament will inspire a new generation of young girls to take part in the game from a young age, they will have huge role models they can look up too and aspire to be like. Something maybe as lads maybe we take for granted.

If this gains more interest in the sport from a grass roots level the pool of talent will widen and it can only make the game better, stronger. For me that would be the ultimate result.

Hobo

Rather than credit a team with reaching the semi finals of a world competition....let's take the piss out of an unfortunate error.

well done girls! Ignore the sad men on here who know so much about football but never (I suspect) achieved anything!

LJC_CCFC

Rather than credit a team with reaching the semi finals of a world competition....let's take the piss out of an unfortunate error.

well done girls! Ignore the sad men on here who know so much about football but never (I suspect) achieved anything!

Go on to Twitter and they are being praised beyond.

Hobo

Go on to Twitter and they are being praised beyond.

Good, perhaps it says something about our fans. There is a certain section that seem to crucify certain players and managers with fantasy like knowledge.

chiefdave

If this gains more interest in the sport from a grass roots level the pool of talent will widen and it can only make the game better, stronger. For me that would be the ultimate result.

We'll hit the same problem the men's game has. Lack of facilities and lack of qualified coaches.

Suspect if someone like Cahill had done the same thing in injury time in a World Cup semi we wouldn't be seeing the level of praise we are seeing now, think it would be more likely he would be absolutely slaughtered.

LJC_CCFC

We'll hit the same problem the men's game has. Lack of facilities and lack of qualified coaches.

Suspect if someone like Cahill had done the same thing in injury time in a World Cup semi we wouldn't be seeing the level of praise we are seeing now, think it would be more likely he would be absolutely slaughtered.

Exactly. This article highlights underlying fear of sexism and sexist views in regards to the women's game: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/wo...Our-sympathy-for-Laura-Bassett-is-sexist.html

Although the author also says that they should be given an open top bus parade, which frankly is ludicrous.

oakey

Since women were banned from playing on any FA pitches until about 1971 their game is approximately a hundred years behind the men's in development. Comparing men and women at football is like doing it for tennis, hockey etc etc. pointless. if you enjoy football you would appreciate it for what it is, like if you went to watch an under 15s game. I enjoyed England's games very much. Far more than most other games that don't involve Coventry or England actually.
You can keep premier and champions leagues as I don't support or have any attachment to any team and often find the games dull.

LJC_CCFC

Since women were banned from playing on any FA pitches until about 1971 their game is approximately a hundred years behind the men's in development. Comparing men and women at football is like doing it for tennis, hockey etc etc. pointless. if you enjoy football you would appreciate it for what it is, like if you went to watch an under 15s game. I enjoyed England's games very much. Far more than most other games that don't involve Coventry or England actually.
You can keep premier and champions leagues as I don't support or have any attachment to any team and often find the games dull.

Women's football better to watch than Premier League or Champions League football. Does that bear in your profile picture sit in your head and work the controls by any chance?

stupot07

I was quite impressed with the standard of some of the football played, it does look as though the women's game had improved over the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Shakeitup

And what's your view on when men take the piss out of men scoring own goals or other 'unfortunate errors'?

Shakeitup

Women's football better to watch than Premier League or Champions League football. Does that bear in your profile picture sit in your head and work the controls by any chance?

Thanks. I'll keep going to the Champions League matches I go to, even if I don't follow the team the football and atmosphere make up for it!

wingy

I do hope they can clinch third by beating Deutschland. Could be tasty as both teams are capable of dishing It
I don't know how there wasn't a sending off In their game V The French, Incesent cynical challenges throughout.

lifeskyblue

I don't like to see anyone taking the 'piss' for genuine mistakes made. All players at every level do it. When mabbut's knee deflected the ball beyond Clemence I was as thrilled as anyone but didn't see it as his mistake or a reason to mock him.

oakey

Thanks. I'll keep going to the Champions League matches I go to, even if I don't follow the team the football and atmosphere make up for it!

Many matches, yes, for the reasons stated. Much top class football is dull if you don't follow either team. I have no interest in Italian, Spanish, German or any other football team I don't support. I wouldn't cross the road to see any of those games unless I had a free ticket and transport laid on, thanks.
football, for me, is not about the "standard" it's about commitment, effort and caring about the outcome.
i would rather watch England or Coventry at any level, even amateur, than watch the elite teams for which I care nothing.

LJC_CCFC

Many matches, yes, for the reasons stated. Much top class football is dull if you don't follow either team. I have no interest in Italian, Spanish, German or any other football team I don't support. I wouldn't cross the road to see any of those games unless I had a free ticket and transport laid on, thanks.
football, for me, is not about the "standard" it's about commitment, effort and caring about the outcome.
i would rather watch England or Coventry at any level, even amateur, than watch the elite teams for which I care nothing.

"Much top class football is dull". You clearly don't watch a lot of top class football then.

ajsccfc

If a female player fucks up, far better to mock her as you would anyone else than patronise her because she's just a girl. Slagging off England players with or without willies, now that's equality.

SlowerThanPlatt

Three shots on target during the Japan-England game, two of which were pens.

The game was indicative of the tournament as a whole - a poor standard in terms of technical and tactical quality.

Shakeitup

Slagging off England players with or without willies, now that's equality.

Line of the day!

I don't follow a Spanish, German or Italian team yet I've been to several of each of those respective nations CL matches. Sometimes against English or Scottish opposition, sometimes not and bar one bore draw, each time.has been a great occasion.

Part of the problem with the 'British' approach of valuing effort and running about over skill, like how some City fans loved Doyle or some.more technically gifted players is that is really gets you now where. As England and Coventry have proven.

Let's hope the ladies game.does not evoke down this same path!

Shakeitup

I don't like to see anyone taking the 'piss' for genuine mistakes made. All players at every level do it. When mabbut's knee deflected the ball beyond Clemence I was as thrilled as anyone but didn't see it as his mistake or a reason to mock him.

I think your karma points will go up fella. I'm destined to burn in hell with Frankie Boyle. Least it will be a laugh right?

Last edited:

ccfc92

I'm surprised it was given as a goal, after all the other shocking refereeing decisions in the tournament.

oakey

Didn't say it was better or worse.
Didn't make any judgment about "foreign" football so don't ascribe Little Englander views to me. Some don't read what I post. I am chiefly interested in watching football matches in which I have an attachment. Eg. Coventry, England, Wales, or any team I know one of the players in. That's it. No value judgment, just emotional attachment. Surely Cov fans get what I'm saying, as we don't watch CCFC for the quality.
I have no interest in Barcas, Inters, Reals, Rovers or uniteds. Many football fans are like me. There is way too much football on TV but it gives choice to those that want it, so c'est la vie.

Hobo

And what's your view on when men take the piss out of men scoring own goals or other 'unfortunate errors'?

The same mate. There is a big diference between one off errors in the heat of battle and persistent basic errors. It is like people slagging off young players on their debut, it is totally uncalled for. If you got the critics and jokers down the park, I bet most couldn't find the sweet spot on their wife let alone a football!

also if that was the men's National England team in a world semi final, fans would have been smashing up men's toilets in pubs, not having a jolly good joke about it.....and you know it!

Shakeitup

The same mate. There is a big diference between one off errors in the heat of battle and persistent basic errors. It is like people slagging off young players on their debut, it is totally uncalled for. If you got the critics and jokers down the park, I bet most couldn't find the sweet spot on their wife let alone a football!

also if that was the men's National England team in a world semi final, fans would have been smashing up men's toilets in pubs, not having a jolly good joke about it.....and you know it!

Who's to say some women didn't go crazy in the kitchen and throw the colander around. Mental. Let's stereotype!

Speaking of which. No one has though of the poor husbands and families that have suffered from take aways and processed meals during this tournament. Selfish women.

(Are we allowed to enjoy British humour at it's best and laugh at the misfortune of other yet? After all, I did say I hope the successes of this team improve the situation in the UK for young aspiring footballers, as a sport and career!)

CJ_covblaze

Didn't say it was better or worse.
Didn't make any judgment about "foreign" football so don't ascribe Little Englander views to me. Some don't read what I post. I am chiefly interested in watching football matches in which I have an attachment. Eg. Coventry, England, Wales, or any team I know one of the players in. That's it. No value judgment, just emotional attachment. Surely Cov fans get what I'm saying, as we don't watch CCFC for the quality.
I have no interest in Barcas, Inters, Reals, Rovers or uniteds. Many football fans are like me. There is way too much football on TV but it gives choice to those that want it, so c'est la vie.

Been to loads of games this season both abroad and here that haven't involved England or City. Met great people, visited some terrific places and watched some quality players, teams & games along the way. Every trip has been worth it. Haven't regretted any. No emotional attachment but plenty of other positives.

Shakeitup

Been to loads of games this season both abroad and here that haven't involved England or City. Met great people, visited some terrific places and watched some quality players, teams & games along the way. Every trip has been worth it. Haven't regretted any. No emotional attachment but plenty of other positives.

I guess there is a polemic difference between people. Pride and passion...Or experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread