Own goal (1 Viewer)

Shakeitup

Oops. So Laura Bassett who scored that own goal used to play for Coventry ladies. Can we not blame it on something else like her association.with Blues, Bedworth or that she's from Nuneaton?

I say this tongue in cheek. Southgate was vilified for his penalty miss. I'm sure that will not happen to a female player.

That said, I think it's great that the interest around this womens' tournament will raise the profile of grassroots football amongst girls in England.

Terry Gibson's perm

Oops. So Laura Bassett who scored that own goal used to play for Coventry ladies. Can we not blame it on something else like her association.with Blues, Bedworth or that she's from Nuneaton?

I say this tongue in cheek. Southgate was vilified for his penalty miss. I'm sure that will not happen to a female player.

That said, I think it's great that the interest around this womens' tournament will raise the profile of grassroots football amongst girls in England.

Doubt she will go out and make a TV ad for a pizza company joking about it though.

Otis

Thing is, the Southgate miss showed him to have a lack of bottle and a poor technique, whereas the Bassett own goal was just a freak and totally unlucky.

Terry Gibson's perm

Thing is, the Southgate miss showed him to have a lack of bottle and a poor technique, whereas the Bassett own goal was just a freak and totally unlucky.

and now the same man looks after the future international players.

Hobo

In fairness she had a solid tournament and should be seen as a hero not a villain.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Cracking finish!

Watched 4 mins highlights this morning, first I've seen of the tournament, neither were pens Japan's was a foul but was outside the area & the England pen minimal contact but she dropped to the floor Steven Gerrard style.

Skyblueweeman

"lionesses"

I've always wondered about Englands usage of the Lion as some sort of emblem or representation thingy.

Just seems a little weird when they've never been indigenous to the UK.

I guess it sounds better than 'chavs' or 'jack russells'.

smileycov

Facebook User
^^^^^ doesn't it stem back to our glorious empire days? now we can't even defend our own borders, let alone world wide!!

CJ_covblaze

I think it's on our crest as lions have lived in London since around the year 1100. Before London Zoo they lived in the Tower. This run is coming to an end as the 3 currently at LZ are being moved for a while while a new enclosure is being built.

This will be a sad event so do any Londoners on here have a big garden? Keep the tradition going!

Last edited:

Shakeitup

Richard the Lionheart. Sounds better than Dick the badger lover.

That aside. Has the tournament and the success of the ladies inspired people to change their view about womens' football? Or did you already think it was good?

I think it was great for them and it's good to be a role model. However, as a spectator I'm yet to be won over.

ajsccfc

I think it's fine and I'm glad it's getting coverage and publicity, but the football itself is poor.

Covstu

Feel gutted for her, what a time to concede a goal like that. Shame as they could have had a chance to put English womens football on the map, sadly that wont happen. There will be a slight increase in interest & coverage but then will go back to normal/oblivion

Chipfat

Bad way to lose some really good players in the game, we were the better team and didn't deserve to get beat that's for sure...

ajsccfc

Who are we failing to defend our borders against? I'm always on the lookout for vikings.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Who are we failing to defend our borders against? I'm always on the lookout for vikings.

surely its too late to protect our Borders......it fell about 5 years ago to those pesky all-conquering tax evaders from the "amazon"....

hill83

She's from inbred everyone knows everyone shit hole no decent boozers Bulkington.

Also known as the shire.

Philosorapter

I wonder how far 'women's' football is behind their counterparts now.

They did this with tennis some years back where they pitched the male seeds 1 and 1001 (I think) in a doubles match against the women seeds 1 and 2 after a comment made on tour.

I have to admit I did catch 20 minutes of the game and the quality has got a lot better.

hill83

Apparently, and I've not looked for any evidence. The German women's team played a Swedish 2nd division reserve under 17 mens team and lost 3-0. In 2014. The men played with 10.

It's irrelevant comparing the two anyway, the only similarity is that it's football.

LJC_CCFC

Watched nearly every game of this tournament and in terms of quality it is still light years away from the men's game - a good men's pub side would beat the England women's side, that being said it has improved an awful lot. The goalkeeping is still of an appalling standard and if the game wants to progress they really have to try and sort it out. The same can be said about the refereeing, there was a situation in one game where four minutes of added time was given and the ref blew up in the 91st. In dire need of more investment to help the development of players, instead of trying to market the WSL to male football fans. Improve the quality and general entertainment factor of the game first, then in time more and more people will start turning up to games. The overriding feeling I have after watching the tournament is that slowly buy surely the game is progressing, but the media need to criticise as well as praise it, for it to have any chance of developing. As things stand many media outlets and individual journalists are reluctant to even vaguely criticise the standard etc in fear of coming across as sexist.

Users who are viewing this thread