Overhyped Player (4 Viewers)

Pipehitterz

Rooney always has been injured at important times for england. It's why he's failed on the big international stages.

Most everhyped ccfc player ever is george boateng
Or however it's spelt

ricohroar

Totally agree, just read to the end thinking I will add George Boatang. Everyone raved about him, great heart, great spirit and good tackler, but couldn't pass a ball 10 yards.

Grendel

Totally agree, just read to the end thinking I will add George Boatang. Everyone raved about him, great heart, great spirit and good tackler, but couldn't pass a ball 10 yards.

Boatang was excellent in his first season.

rondog1973

I see some people have apologised for the player they thought was overhyped, so i think when I mention my player who I believe is overhyped I might need to go into hiding for a few years

The CCFC player who I think is massively overhyped is Steve Ogrizovic. I personally think that many people's view on him is somewhat clouded by sentiment of the number of games he played, when he never really had anyone decent pushing him, until Magnus Hedman came along, and then within 4 months of Hedman's arrival, Ogrizovic was relegated to the bench. I keep watching the highlights of the Cup Final on YouTube and can't help but feel that we won that match despite Ogrizovic (flapping at crosses, have the ball away to Tottenham to nearly score a third), rather than because of him instilling confidence in a big match...something you'd want your so called 'big' players to do.

Also for CCFC Paul Williams...couldn't stand him and thought he was an accident waiting to happen.

Other teams: Joe Hart (faced 5 shots at Euro 2016 apparently and let in 4 goals), and Adnan Januzaj
We would not have been in the final if it weren't for Oggy's performance in the semi final.

ricohroar

To be honest I always thought Hedman was overhyped. A show pony who was never really as good as he could and should have been.

We made a mistake signing him. John Filan was ogrizovic understudy and we let him go for Hedman. Filan had a great career after leaving us.
Headman was great for us

fernandopartridge

He was excellent. He was ruined in his second season by that utter c**t Strachan moving him to right midfield to accommodate McAllister.

Malaka

I never quite understood why people rated Dennis Bergkamp, he was a dirty fucking cheat. I remember him diving and getting a penalty against us when Paul Williams got a little too close. They scored and won one nil. For us in those days a point could have been the difference between relegation and staying up. I hate him!!
I too never rated Hadji or Chippo for that matter, I was far more disappointed to lose Boetang.

Covstu

Wow some interesting ones here, Macca, Boateng and Hadji were overrated?? Really???

For Cov it has to be our overhyped young superstars i.e. Kev Thornton, Conor Thomas, Gary McSheffery

I think Mr Paul Pogba is going to be very overhyped and overpaid shortly!!

Otis

Too be truthful though, Oggy wasn't very good on crosses either.

He too had the nickname Flapper around by me in the Sky Blue stand.

Terry Gibson's perm

Wow some interesting ones here, Macca, Boateng and Hadji were overrated?? Really???

For Cov it has to be our overhyped young superstars i.e. Kev Thornton, Conor Thomas, Gary McSheffery

I think Mr Paul Pogba is going to be very overhyped and overpaid shortly!!

Off thread but just on h&j the only thing holding up the Pogba move is his agents £18 million plus fee

SkyBlueSid

Off thread but just on h&j the only thing holding up the Pogba move is his agents £18 million plus fee
I reckon that just about sums up what is wrong in football now. There is so much TV and sponsorship money sloshing about and everyone seems to want to get their greedy snouts in the trough. I had Pogba down as one of the most overrated players at Euro2016 and I think that will prove true. ManUre can repent at their leisure, like they have with many others in the past. And the fans can go to hell......

Terry Gibson's perm

I reckon that just about sums up what is wrong in football now. There is so much TV and sponsorship money sloshing about and everyone seems to want to get their greedy snouts in the trough. I had Pogba down as one of the most overrated players at Euro2016 and I think that will prove true. ManUre can repent at their leisure, like they have with many others in the past. And the fans can go to hell......

As they said the player was happy until the Euro Championships so it can't be as if he has done work in time to the value of £18 million and it's just money out of the game.

Terry Gibson's perm

Too be truthful though, Oggy wasn't very good on crosses either.

He too had the nickname Flapper around by me in the Sky Blue stand.

I liked Hedman more as his distribution was far better and he didn't waste time looking for the valve on the ball before kicking it.

albatross

Sandy Robertson..... was supposed to replace Chris Marsden who was fantastic for us and then we managed to let slip though our fingers!

Sandy Roberston on the other hand was lauded in and ........

Terry Gibson's perm

Sandy Robertson..... was supposed to replace Chris Marsden who was fantastic for us and then we managed to let slip though our fingers!

Sandy Roberston on the other hand was lauded in and ........

Very good call I had tried to forget about this wate of space

Chipfat

I'm not sure Boateng was over hyped he didn't come with a big rep, he came with more news about the fee more than the ability of the player. Did they find out about a release clause of 250,000 grand from the scout we had in Europe called Clarke. I think he was a decent player for us, players like Jess, Daish, D Burrows, Drinkell, Richardson and Sansom came with bigger reputations and failed to reach why they were bought.

Hadji10

Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney and Arjen Robben.

Pogba isn't overhyped in terms of how much people rate him, he's quality. He's ovbiously not worth 100m but no one is bar maybe Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez. Don't judge him on the euros, if you judged players on the euros then Bale and Ronaldo would be overhyped because both of them done fuck all either.

Chipfat

I always thought Scholes was a better player than Gerrard and never thought Scholes got the credit his career deserved. Gerrard was a good player and if he looks back maybe he will admit he should of moved when he had the chance. As for Rooney, my posts are out there for all to see> Robben is an interesting one i see why people rate him more than i do Hazard, Its just opinions and different eyes see different things for sure.

Grendel

We ruined Chippo making him a right mid too.

We have a knack of playing players out of position and destroying them. Edworthy was a perfectly capable right back... never capable of playing left back though!

Chippo was pretty average to be fair.

boatang

Boatang was ace. First season anyway. And came with almost no hype.

Agree with Macca, we had our best games when he was injured, which was a whole season I remember.

Hedman was streets above Oggy for distribution, and his missus was also better than Oggy's.

Gazolba

Has to be Wayne Rooney. Yes he has had flashes of brilliance but he is not and has never been a world-class player. There is a reason foreign clubs have not been queuing up for his services. Now Gary Lineker, there was a real striker ...

skyblue1991

In regards to overhyped:

For CCFC: Richard Shaw springs to mind
In general: Wayne Rooney. Although at his peak in 2009-11 he was one of the best players in the world but he's past his best now.

Bristol sky blue

Greg Downs
Harsh to mention a popular cup winner with us, I know, but opposition teams used to target him regularly because of his lack of pace.
Obviously John Sillett rated him highly and his commitment was never in doubt. (Also I admit I appreciated him more when we signed Paul Edwards as his replacement!)

higgs

Craig Bellamy his lack of goals cost us our place in the big time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread