Overhyped Player (1 Viewer)

We've had some cracking talent at CCFC over the years. And we've had some bloody shite ones too. But then there's those who many claim are above average, but the majority of fans wonder how they get in the team. So for this week's Cooks Question, we're talking overhyped players. Let us know the players everyone raved about, but you didn't see why. Doesn't have to be a CCFC player, it can be any player from any professional league. Get your answers in and i'll read them out on Thursday's edition of Sports Lounge live on 98.6 Hillz FM from 10am

SBAndy

I'll second the Rooney shout, he doesn't have a complete set of attributes to play any position. Not positionally intelligent enough for CM, not quick enough or deft enough for the 10, not hungry enough to be a striker.

CCFC related I'd say Steve Jennings. The guy hadn't got a clue what was going on around him, and yet people constantly used to say he was one of the better performers. I remember moaning about this on GMK back in the day and got name-checked by Knowl on the podcast when he noticed it.

fernandopartridge

I'll second the Rooney shout, he doesn't have a complete set of attributes to play any position. Not positionally intelligent enough for CM, not quick enough or deft enough for the 10, not hungry enough to be a striker.

CCFC related I'd say Steve Jennings. The guy hadn't got a clue what was going on around him, and yet people constantly used to say he was one of the better performers. I remember moaning about this on GMK back in the day and got name-checked by Knowl on the podcast when he noticed it.

Yes, Rooney's dreadful return of 262 goals in 597 appearances really demonstrate that lack of hunger.

I agree on Jennings, he was crap.

fernandopartridge

We've had some cracking talent at CCFC over the years. And we've had some bloody shite ones too. But then there's those who many claim are above average, but the majority of fans wonder how they get in the team. So for this week's Cooks Question, we're talking overhyped players. Let us know the players everyone raved about, but you didn't see why. Doesn't have to be a CCFC player, it can be any player from any professional league. Get your answers in and i'll read them out on Thursday's edition of Sports Lounge live on 98.6 Hillz FM from 10am

Gary McAllister - he's even more hyped retrospectively.

jimmyhillsfanclub

The vast majority of the current England squad.

CCFC related...and this won't be popular....but Richard Shaw was at his very best, bang average, but was often poor, and at worst, utter dogshit...

...he was, however, very good at pointing, shouting & deflecting blame....

hamil99

Facebook User
Kevin Kyle, was meant to be a poor mans Alan Shearer when he came here, ended up not even being good enough to polish his boots....

SBAndy

Yes, Rooney's dreadful return of 262 goals in 597 appearances really demonstrate that lack of hunger.

I agree on Jennings, he was crap.

Could have been so much more if he didn't insist on dropping deep when he's playing up top on his own. Maybe hunger was the wrong word but at all too frequent times he's not in areas where he can offer the biggest goal threat.

skybluejelly

I have to second lamerias .. He looses possession so easily .. And half of his tricks are pure luck not skill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipfat

Rooney is a decent player but not even close to being in the same conversation as Messi, Ronaldo old and younger, Gascoigne or a Zidane, its not his fault the media place him up there but he has more desire to be a top player than actually be one on the world stage.

As for others its a endless list but a few are Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair, Theo Walcott, Danny Welbeck, David Platt, Paul Mariner..... As for our connection Stephen Hughes and Stephen Hunt have come in with good reputation's both played at prem clubs or been internationals that just didn't have anything left or had lost a step to reproduce anything they had done in the past.

On the other scale of player's that have come to us that i thought would be no good but showed me with how good and effective they were was Charlton Palmer and Dennis Wise. Anyway its all opinion, no right or wrong in anyone's pick its just how some see the game.

JulianDarbyFTW

In recent times I'd say Joe Cole, just because of the expectation that a player with his reputation should tear L1 apart. It wasn't so much that he was bad, just that he wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Going back a few years I'd say Salako. Was the big marquee signing at the start of the Big Ron / money-wasting era, but he never tore up any trees. As for other clubs, Andy Carroll. Imho he's too good for the Championship and not good enough for the PL. Never, ever, ever a 35m player. He's lucky to still be employed at the level he is.

vow

Gotta second Doyler and unfortunately Hadji too, he seemed to lack that final ball on some occasions (apart from when he sent us down :().

Monners

Salako is a good shout. Also Eion Jess and Zuniga (everyone liked him but he was awful - terrible first touch) - and my number 1 choice - Paul Culpin.

vow

Salako is a good shout. Also Eion Jess and Zuniga (everyone liked him but he was awful - terrible first touch) - and my number 1 choice - Paul Culpin.
Paul Culpin? Really? Overhyped? ;)
Wasn't he just terrible for us and good for the Boro'?

Monners

D
Paul Culpin? Really? Overhyped? ;)
Wasn't he just terrible for us and good for the Boro'?
He came with high expectations of being the next big thing - and was terrible!
Actually - I have got him mixed up with Kevin Drinkell - oops! :depressed:

Last edited:
Reactions: vow

Grendel

So the top scorer in the history of football for his country is over rated.

Priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread