Overhyped Player (2 Viewers)

Seamus1

I see some people have apologised for the player they thought was overhyped, so i think when I mention my player who I believe is overhyped I might need to go into hiding for a few years

The CCFC player who I think is massively overhyped is Steve Ogrizovic. I personally think that many people's view on him is somewhat clouded by sentiment of the number of games he played, when he never really had anyone decent pushing him, until Magnus Hedman came along, and then within 4 months of Hedman's arrival, Ogrizovic was relegated to the bench. I keep watching the highlights of the Cup Final on YouTube and can't help but feel that we won that match despite Ogrizovic (flapping at crosses, have the ball away to Tottenham to nearly score a third), rather than because of him instilling confidence in a big match...something you'd want your so called 'big' players to do.

Also for CCFC Paul Williams...couldn't stand him and thought he was an accident waiting to happen.

Other teams: Joe Hart (faced 5 shots at Euro 2016 apparently and let in 4 goals), and Adnan Januzaj

Grendel

Over hyped when placing him in the same breath as Messi, Ronaldo and the Zidane's of the world very much so.

I'm not sure anyone has compared him to any if them have they? He's the best goal scorer in the history of football for England. Fact.

Seamus1

I agree that Rooney is not of the same ilk as Ronaldo and Messi. He scores hatfuls of goals in qualifiers against Lithuania, Estonia or San Marino (and yes that is more than I could ever do), but in the main competitions it's like there is a bad clone of him out there. I think he has only really shown up to one tournament, Euro 2004. The way some press go on about Rooney, he should be the type of player to really drag this England team out of the mire single handedly.

Last edited:

Grendel

I see some people have apologised for the player they thought was overhyped, so i think when I mention my player who I believe is overhyped I might need to go into hiding for a few years

The CCFC player who I think is massively overhyped is Steve Ogrizovic. I personally think that many people's view on him is somewhat clouded by sentiment of the number of games he played, when he never really had anyone decent pushing him, until Magnus Hedman came along, and then within 4 months of Hedman's arrival, Ogrizovic was relegated to the bench. I keep watching the highlights of the Cup Final on YouTube and can't help but feel that we won that match despite Ogrizovic (flapping at crosses, have the ball away to Tottenham to nearly score a third), rather than because of him instilling confidence in a big match...something you'd want your so called 'big' players to do.

Also for CCFC Paul Williams...couldn't stand him and thought he was an accident waiting to happen.

Other teams: Joe Hart (faced 5 shots at Euro 2016 apparently and let in 4 goals), and Adnan Januzaj

Ogrizovic despite being 38 played far more games than Hedman in the 97 98 season - hedman hardly played a game once he left this club.

Seamus1

Ogrizovic despite being 38 played far more games than Hedman in the 97 98 season - hedman hardly played a game once he left this club.

That is a valid point, Grendel, however would that have been the case had Hedman not injured his ankle that season? The biggest cheer at Highfield Road in that awful 0-0 draw against Wimbledon that season was for Hedman's return to the first team

Grendel

That is a valid point, Grendel, however would that have been the case had Hedman not injured his ankle that season? The biggest cheer at Highfield Road in that awful 0-0 draw against Wimbledon that season was for Hedman's return to the first team

To be honest I always thought Hedman was overhyped. A show pony who was never really as good as he could and should have been.

We made a mistake signing him. John Filan was ogrizovic understudy and we let him go for Hedman. Filan had a great career after leaving us.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Rooney at his peak wasn't overhyped.

His problem is people expect and compare him to his younger self, he isn't as good a player now as he was between the ages of 18-25 and as a result gets labelled as overrated and overhyped.

Chipfat

I'm not sure anyone has compared him to any if them have they? He's the best goal scorer in the history of football for England. Fact.

As posted before its all about an opinion and you rate him and don't think he is over hyped, when i personally do. As for comparing him or to judge if he is over hyped then Ronaldo, Messi and the like you have to compare him to and definitely when he is touted as our best player. For me its more the media over hype him than the common fan, Jose has already spotted it and i would take his view on a players ability more than most. He is a good player Gren and scores goals but the stat of most goals although a record does not say much or make me rate him as the best we have ever had. But hey, its a forum about footie and opinions are fine even if we don't ever agree.

Chipfat

Rooney at his peak wasn't overhyped.

His problem is people expect and compare him to his younger self, he isn't as good a player now as he was between the ages of 18-25 and as a result gets labelled as overrated and overhyped.

The same will happen to Ross Barkley and already happened to Jack Rodwell , Jack Wilkshere and many more will come the media will not stop bringing the wonder kids out and up to knock them down when in reality kicks in. They are decent players but not much more than that, to be a top player you have to perform over a length of time and keep producing when all is expected of you, not just when you are young.

Brylowes

Yes he is, in an era of endless pointless friendlys against so called lesser teams,
incidentally friendlys don't count for your club, they shouldn't for country either.

robbiekeane

So the top scorer in the history of football for his country is over rated.

Priceless.
I think that says more about English football than it does about Rooneys talent.

Many people in the past have said he is one of the best players in the world, and I couldn't disagree more. He's one of the highest paid players in the world and I don't think he's worth that (in a footballing sense, probably is economically).
Just my opinion of course

Grendel

Yes he is, in an era of endless pointless friendlys against so called lesser teams,
incidentally friendlys don't count for your club, they shouldn't for country either.

Rooney scored 14 of his goals in friendlies Bobby charlton scored 32 in friendlies.

Otis

Rooney scored 14 of his goals in friendlies Bobby charlton scored 32 in friendlies.
And you do have to remember that some of the quality of opposition in the Charlton era was of a very low standard.

England used to regularly thrash the smaller teams 4, 5 or 6 nil.

Brylowes

And you do have to remember that some of the quality of opposition in the Charlton era was of a very low standard.

England used to regularly thrash the smaller teams 4, 5 or 6 nil.
So are you saying Rooney is better than Charlton was, in Charlton day they played
more friendlys as there were far less qualifiers, but you're right he scored more in
friendlys than Rooney. I still don't think friendly goals should count on there goals
Scored record.

covmark

I'll think you'll find we tend to play our friendlies against the bigger nations. Germany, Spain and Holland the most recent ones. We rarely play lesser nations in friendlies.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Chipfat

The OP was about over hyped players, not really about how good Rooney record is for England. For me does not make him the best or not over hyped because of his goals. If he is thought of as the best because of this record, i would ask you to look at Jimmy Greaves record 57 caps 44 goals, he also played 20 odd times for the under 23 and got 12. It took Rooney 100 games to get 44 goals. So for me he is a player who has a record but that does not mean he is not over rated. A decent player who through no fault of his own has become better on paper than player.

Last edited:

Pipehitterz

The OP was about over hyped players, not really about how good Rooney record is for England. For me does not make him the best or not over hyped because of his goals. If he is thought of as the best because of this record, i would ask you to look at Jimmy Greaves record 57 caps 44 goals, he also played 20 odd times for the under 23 and got 12. It took Rooney 100 games to get 44 goals. So for me he is a player who has a record but that does not mean he is not over rated. A decent player who through no fault of his own has become better on paper than player.
Jimmy greaves was a freak of Football tho, totally different kettle of fish and not really a great comparison .
He was arguably the greatest goal scorers of all time where as rooney is all round the better Football player.
Rooney not over hyped at all , very unfair

Chipfat

If you look at what is being said before the goal scoring record is being used as why you cant say he is being over hyped, so because of it then you compare goalscorers!!!. If like i said before you are labeled as the best player in your country then Messi and Ronaldo are what you judge against. In your opinion Rooney is being unfairly Judged and not over hyped, that's fine its an opinion that can't be proved or not proved either way. In my opinion he has not any great attributes but has a few good one's, decent player but gets a lot of news and pressure when really his talent is limited.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think that says more about English football than it does about Rooneys talent.

Many people in the past have said he is one of the best players in the world, and I couldn't disagree more. He's one of the highest paid players in the world and I don't think he's worth that (in a footballing sense, probably is economically).
Just my opinion of course

Rooney obviously hasn't been world class for the last 3 or 4 seasons but I think there was definitely a stage in his career where he was world class.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If you look at what is being said before the goal scoring record is being used as why you cant say he is being over hyped, so because of it then you compare goalscorers!!!. If like i said before you are labeled as the best player in your country then Messi and Ronaldo are what you judge against. In your opinion Rooney is being unfairly Judged and not over hyped, that's fine its an opinion that can't be proved or not proved either way. In my opinion he has not any great attributes but has a few good one's, decent player but gets a lot of news and pressure when really his talent is limited.

So it's fair to judge Gibraltars best player against Ronaldo and Messi then?

Obviously those players are a class above every other player in football at the moment but even so rooneys international record stands up well against ronaldos and Messi international record

SkyBlue_Bear83

The same will happen to Ross Barkley and already happened to Jack Rodwell , Jack Wilkshere and many more will come the media will not stop bringing the wonder kids out and up to knock them down when in reality kicks in. They are decent players but not much more than that, to be a top player you have to perform over a length of time and keep producing when all is expected of you, not just when you are young.

Rooney was miles ahead of all those players at there respective ages, they are not even in the same conversation as Rooney.

Chipfat

Look to me the media over hyped Rooney, it's my opinion. If you are talking about his goals then he has the record, does that make him better than the rest on the list, I don't think it does . If you are talking about him as a player then I still think he is over hyped. It's not his fault and I don't think he is a bad player. I just think they is better players paid less with a lot less press, meaning he is over hyped.

Chipfat

Rooney was miles ahead of all those players at there respective ages, they are not even in the same conversation as Rooney.

Although i agree with Rooney being ahead at the same age the problem is Barkley was tagged as the new Rooney so place in the same conversation. The Media will build them up placing expectation, hype just to knock them down.

fernandopartridge

And yet Leeds fans were devastated when he joined us and Liverpool fans
couldn't get enough of him in a season they snapped up 4 trophies.
Yet, in my experience as a Cov fan he was good for one season out of 3 in his first spell albeit with an injury lay off. He was past it a bit in his second spell.

oscillatewildly

For City - Paul Telfer. The great argument in his defence would invariably be: "But he covers every blade of grass in 90 minutes".
Which was usually true - just very little of that 90 mins with a ball at his feet tho.
Without question the most over hyped player in the history of the game has to be Roy of the Rovers. He looked good on paper but........

Reactions: vow

SkyBlue_Bear83

I just think they is better players paid less with a lot less press

Agree if you are talking about the present Rooney ( not sure that makes him overhyped though as it seems to be generally accepted he's past his best now and nowhere near world class)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Although i agree with Rooney being ahead at the same age the problem is Barkley was tagged as the new Rooney so place in the same conversation. The Media will build them up placing expectation, hype just to knock them down.

Yes that is a very good example of overhyping, Barkley is nowhere near the quality Rooney was at that age.

Rooney is the only English player to break through in the last 15 years who has managed to live up something close to the expectation placed on him.

Chipfat

Yeah I am, I think Jose already has picked out some limitations in his play now. I just felt for a long time we as a country have looked at him to carry us, it never has happened for him on the big stage internationally. The first time I seen him play for Everton then England I thought he could of been anything, but just hasn't done it enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread