Overall Quality Of The Championship (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

How many of us were worried preseason based on the names we had heard playing in the Championship ? Don't think the slightly shortened season had that much impact but individual personal fitness certainly did. It was obvious that the relegated teams would walk the league and aside from 3 or 4 others, everyone has been able to beat each other.

Next season, we really need to learn from this year, improve our gamesmanship and be prepared to "legally" keep the foot in. Some of the established Champ teams have got these skills and have won games on one piece of poor refereeing.

Bugsy

There's obviously a gap between L1 and Championship, but I think the standard of the Championship this season is the worst it's been for a long time. Which makes it all the more concerning we were struggling so much.

I'm still baffled as to what happened to the team that turned up for the 1st half of our very first game against Bristol City. Excluding the nothing game(s) at the end of the season, I believe that was the best we played all season. Again, concerning.

We were struggling because we were a newly promoted with the 2nd lowest budget. Favorites for relegation, it was always going to be a battle.

WE achieve our aim and finished well. No concerns needed..PUSB

procdoc

We were struggling because we were a newly promoted with the 2nd lowest budget. Favorites for relegation, it was always going to be a battle.

WE achieve our aim and finished well. No concerns needed..PUSB
Don’t feed the troll Bugsy, he’s clearly a parody account. What a sad act

Bugsy

Don’t feed the troll Bugsy, he’s clearly a parody account. What a sad act

Can't help it sometimes especially when they start dissing the team.. PUSB

Hobo

Bit of a false season in some respects way fixtures came thick and fast. I thought standard has improved over all. But like the Premier League I dont think the improvement is reflected by the high levels of investment. In reality teams are paying on average more for less.

skyblue1991

The clear difference between the Championship and League 1 is the athleticism

In league 1 you had footballers. In the championship you have athletes that are footballers.

We have had to deal with the fitness of Championship players and we have struggled at time but I think next season it will do us good. Footballing wise I don't think the quality is what it was.

I also think teams like Wycombe that have gone down will push for the top 6 if they keep their players as they will be a few yards of pace better than their League 1 counterparts

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slowpoke

Division one next season is looking to me to be very tough like the premier now I reckon all three relegated clubs will challenge the top six plus those who miss out in the play-offs and add to them the likes of Pompey, Ipswich, Charlton Athletic promoted Bolton all in the prem not that long ago.

Terry Gibson's perm

The league is unbalanced due to the ridiculous parachute payments which just keep allowing teams to go straight back up ( the way it happens you would think there might be a gain for the Prem clubs in saving the later payments) the money that is saved when teams go straight back up should be filtered into the championship to give the teams at the bottom a chance.

Next season the top six will almost certainly contain West Brom and Fulham and the bottom six of the prem Norwich and whoever goes up with them and Watford.

skyblue1991

The league is unbalanced due to the ridiculous parachute payments which just keep allowing teams to go straight back up ( the way it happens you would think there might be a gain for the Prem clubs in saving the later payments) the money that is saved when teams go straight back up should be filtered into the championship to give the teams at the bottom a chance.

Next season the top six will almost certainly contain West Brom and Fulham and the bottom six of the prem Norwich and whoever goes up with them and Watford.
I think Norwich will be more like Leeds next season. Can see Watford and whoever wins the play offs (except Brentford) be in the bottom 3

Fulham and WBA will have good seasons as you say. Sheff Utd will be mid table cannon fodder

Hull I think will do OK next season but expect Peterborough and whoever wins the play offs struggle

Terry Gibson's perm

I think Norwich will be more like Leeds next season. Can see Watford and whoever wins the play offs (except Brentford) be in the bottom 3

Fulham and WBA will have good seasons as you say. Sheff Utd will be mid table cannon fodder

Hull I think will do OK next season but expect Peterborough and whoever wins the play offs struggle

I see Watford being half way up they have players to bring in from other clubs and will spend, Norwich I think will be bottom two and will start preparing for the championship bounce back early. The other one that goes up I would really fear for especially if it’s Barnsley. I can see next year being Burnley’s year to come down as I wouldn’t be shocked if Dyche clears off to Palace this summer.

Sky Blue Pete

I think the number of games played means it was a false season. To win those 5 games suggests we mastered the standard at just the right time and robins found a way to compete. He’s done that well now too many times to be accused of getting lucky.

We now have about 15 players with 30 odd games experience in this league. I certainly think hyam McCallum Dabo rose sheaf Walker Ohare to name a few can improve next year and that gives us a chance to compete more, I know McCallum isn’t ours.

Would love to jump forward to 1st July

Even just for the first team we need new players just to be at this seasons level

Gk
Lb
Rcb maybe rose
Lcb maybe hyam
Cm
St / am

That’s a challenge!!

Assume 3-5 top loans but even so

slowpoke

Next season hard to predict but I suspect all the championship promoted three to be bottom six all season with perhaps Burnley, Brighton and Newcastle for company Palace too possibly.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The standard was pretty underwhelming. I think with crowds next year we will see an improvement in quality.

I think being back in the championship intimidated some, but in reality we competed absolutely fine. There was understandable frustration that we were starting to slip when we shouldn't have been really. Budgets this and budgets that, on paper is one thing. When you were watching the games, there were many more we could have won quite easily. In reality we were only a few more wins from finishing in the top half. Crazy when you think about it.

Terry Gibson's perm

Next season hard to predict but I suspect all the championship promoted three to be bottom six all season with perhaps Burnley, Brighton and Newcastle for company Palace too possibly.

Pretty much the usual suspects.

Barnsley

I see Watford being half way up they have players to bring in from other clubs and will spend, Norwich I think will be bottom two and will start preparing for the championship bounce back early. The other one that goes up I would really fear for especially if it’s Barnsley. I can see next year being Burnley’s year to come down as I wouldn’t be shocked if Dyche clears off to Palace this summer.

Why ?.

tisza

Think it's more of a grinding season than League 1 was. Really isn't much difference in that mid table which exists between top 6 and bottom 4/5. Was "surprised" by a general lack quality in many teams. Got to think there really are a lot of teams paying too much to their players. Didn't see a lot of players that looked capable of making jump to PL.
Likes of Norwich and Watford still don't convince me they'll survive in Pl but finances will keep them well clear when in Championship.

Terry Gibson's perm

The weakest of the lot, Bournemouth and Brentford would attract better players due to location. if fixtures went against you at the start your players would be exhausted after chasing teams like Man City around.

Brighton Sky Blue

Recruitment wise as long as we add strength in goal and in defence, with a sprinkling of loans further up the pitch we’ll be in a decent position. It will help not having all 3 relegated sides being miles ahead of the league, on the flip side Hull and Peterborough will be stronger and if Sunderland come up they’ll spend big.

All we can do is recruit sensibly and be ready for 46 tough games

Barnsley

Obviously the latter
Why obviously, trying to compete in that league as destroyed many a club. You go overspending at the level needed to give yourself a chance of survival, and you could find yourself the next Bolton, Blackpool, and others, if you get it wrong. Once You’ve ripped up your wage structure, you’ve got to at the very least build a squad that guarantees you fighting chance of promotion the following season, if you fail it could easily cripple the club, the lower leagues are littered with former PL club paying the price for chasing the dream.

Brighton Sky Blue

Why obviously, trying to compete in that league as destroyed many a club. You go overspending at the level needed to give yourself a chance of survival, and you could find yourself the next Bolton, Blackpool, and others, if you get it wrong. Once You’ve ripped up your wage structure, you’ve got to at the very least build a squad that guarantees you fighting chance of promotion the following season, if you fail it could easily cripple the club, the lower leagues are littered with former PL club paying the price for chasing the dream.

The point was you'd probably come back down in bottom place, which isn't a dig at Barnsley at all.

Mucca Mad Boys

The point was you'd probably come back down in bottom place, which isn't a dig at Barnsley at all.

No shame if you did get relegated under those circumstances! To get promoted to Premier having a bottom 4-6 budget is a huge achievement and is, frankly, something we'd love to emulate.

One of the Barnsley games next season (assuming you don't get promoted), we should organise a SBT delegation to meet you before or after the game!

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

No shame if you did get relegated under those circumstances! To get promoted to Premier having a bottom 4-6 budget is a huge achievement and is, frankly, something we'd love to emulate.

One of the Barnsley next season (assuming you don't get promoted), we should organise a SBT delegation to meet you before or after the game!

I would personally love them to beat Bournemouth in the final with a last minute Steve Cook OG

slowpoke

If you went up unfortunately you'd be absolutely done for. Still want you to go up though
Don’t agree, they will almost certainly be relegated but Barnsley are a well run club and will use the millions it will be getting to build, stabilise and enhance the club and that will be backed up by parachute money. There will be plenty of prem experienced freebie knocking about too.

lordy_87

Don’t agree, they will almost certainly be relegated but Barnsley are a well run club and will use the millions it will be getting to build, stabilise and enhance the club and that will be backed up by parachute money. There will be plenty of prem experienced freebie knocking about too.
Yes I agree. My point was more about the season and that they would almost certainly be relegated IMO, not the long term future of the club. Perhaps I should have explained better.

blunted

I remember Barnsley and a Brentford fan coming on here saying we were in for a shock how good the Championship is now at the start of the season, but thought we would be alright once we came to terms with it. I think the Championship is way better than when we were here last time mainly due to the parachute payments. The clubs who come down now should have learnt from Norwich and unless they screw up will go back up again. Fulham and West Brom (if they keep Alladyce) should be there. Sheff Utd have the physicality...depends on their manager and owner not screwing up. Don't think we will see another Hull, Sunderland or Stoke being so poor when they come down. As in previous seasons, the clubs coming up are in for a hard time and need to learn quickly if there are to survive. Our recruitment is going to be crucial if we are to progress, but at least we know what to expect.

blunted

I remember Barnsley and a Brentford fan coming on here saying we were in for a shock how good the Championship is now at the start of the season, but thought we would be alright once we came to terms with it. I think the Championship is way better than when we were here last time mainly due to the parachute payments. The clubs who come down now should have learnt from Norwich and unless they screw up will go back up again. Fulham and West Brom (if they keep Alladyce) should be there. Sheff Utd have the physicality...depends on their manager and owner not screwing up. Don't think we will see another Hull, Sunderland or Stoke being so poor when they come down. As in previous seasons, the clubs coming up are in for a hard time and need to learn quickly if there are to survive. Our recruitment is going to be crucial if we are to progress, but at least we know what to expect.
Hull possibly the exception.

Users who are viewing this thread