Overall Quality Of The Championship (1 Viewer)

procdoc

What are your thoughts about the overall quality of the championship?
Do you think the standard is better than when we were last in this league?

Teams are littered with players that cost a lot of money in fees and wages and there’s also a lot of fully fledged international players too.

After the first game of the season I thought Bristol City would be playoff contenders and they ended up finishing below us, they had players they spent a lot of money on in their squad.

I personally think the standard is quite high and we done well to compete as well as we did considering hardly any of our players had kicked a ball at this level before.

#PUSB

gspotgaz

I was surprisingly underwhelmed tbh. Norwich and Bournemouth by far and away the best teams we’ve played.

I thought there would be more ‘match winning’ attacking players in the final third but there isn’t really, it’s just 11 ‘Athletes’ in every team which you don’t get in league 1. Most teams appeared to be waiting us to make a mistake (which we did a lot) rather than attackingly outplay us.

procdoc

Big gap between league 1 and championship. Much higher intensity and ball moves a lot quicker. Most teams also had a at least one player that could flip the game on its head, Match winners who can obviously play higher. Think in the end we stepped up quite well.
Exactly my thoughts. The teams we made mistakes against capitalised, whereas in league one you’d get away with a few

christonabike

Massive step up. We pissed or won promotion but what’s apparent every team who have been in the league longer have now got used to diving and feigning injury like the premiership and have quality in various places around the pitch. You can’t breath on a player who turns his back in the penalty box.
We were let down badly by our unfit strikers but we got over the line in the end.

Esoterica

I was surprised by the lack of raw pace in the division. Many 6 ft 2 athletes with power and intensity in their play but I considered our squad to be relatively slow and yet there were not too many times where I thought 'this guy has got us on toast'

Frostie

In all honesty other than the likes of Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford to some extent I though the quality of most of the teams were shite.

I agree but this season was one of a kind, it's not usually this poor, this condensed nature made it a real slog for most.

Ccfcisparks

I agree but this season was one of a kind, it's not usually this poor, this condensed nature made it a real slog for most.
I think that’s probably right. That’s why we feel we’ve given teams goals this year, rather than make them earn it. It’s 11 athletes slogging out for 90 minutes.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think a lot of us fans had an inferiority complex about us going into the season, which is totally understandable.

As we’ve seen, there are plenty of clubs living beyond their means and paying average players larger salaries than their worth.

In the next 2-3 seasons, providing our recruitment remains good, I can’t see a reason we can’t progress to being a good, top half Championship club.

ccfcmad1

Maybe stating the obvious but the higher up the leagues you go the more your punished with defensive errors and equally not taking your chances, overall I think the general play isn't something to worry about other than a couple of sides mainly the relegated three plus an added few most sides seem evenly matched.

procdoc

Maybe stating the obvious but the higher up the leagues you go the more your punished with defensive errors and equally not taking your chances, overall I think the general play isn't something to worry about other than a couple of sides mainly the relegated three plus an added few most sides seem evenly matched.
If we didn’t make half of the silly mistakes and half of the efforts that hit the woodwork went in, we’d have likely finished top half, fine margins!

CDK

Seemed in certain games there was a big difference and we couldn't compete Norwich Blackburn both home ,QPR Bournemouth away ,then other games a bit of a jump but we were able to cope and get positive results.
Think teams achieve promotion the standard is higher and individual mistakes is the biggest giver away of pionts.
But it's a new level and we achieved a great pionts total.

Terry Gibson's perm

Seemed in certain games there was a big difference and we couldn't compete Norwich Blackburn both home ,QPR Bournemouth away ,then other games a bit of a jump but we were able to cope and get positive results.
Think teams achieve promotion the standard is higher and individual mistakes is the biggest giver away of pionts.
But it's a new level and we achieved a great pionts total.

We played Blackburn at the wrong time you want Mowbray team post Xmas pud

junglej13

Our fans are quite critical of some areas of the recruitment in recent years - Kastaneer and Hilsner etc... But having seen some of the released players this week I find it staggering some of the money that has been wasted by Championship clubs. The likes of Assombolonga, Pritchard to name a couple cost in excess of £10m each. A number of times I have seen an oppositions team and been pretty fearful of some of the 'names' but there are so many players at this level who seem happy to plod along picking up their salaries.

Fergusons_Beard

I was surprised by the lack of raw pace in the division. Many 6 ft 2 athletes with power and intensity in their play but I considered our squad to be relatively slow and yet there were not too many times where I thought 'this guy has got us on toast'

I think only Danjuma tore us a new one with his pace this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fergusons_Beard

On the overall quality of the league-

How the fuck did Millwall finish 11th ?

Only team that seriously outplayed us (both times) was Ballmouth.

Wasn’t that impressed by Norwich but admittedly they were suffering from a big injury crisis the first time we played them.

Although relegated Prem teams were clearly class above with their personal.

Lots of teams seem to play the same way-ie-Luton,Boro,Brum, Rotherham , Millwall Wycombe who have huge fuckers all over the pitch and just try & bully wins.

A few teams have some brilliant skillfull youngsters/foreigners Swansea,Reading, QPR, Brentford & play to their strengths.

Some teams had choc full of talent but just didn’t play to their potential for some reason-Forest, Brizzle, Weds, Stoke, Blackburn, Huddersfield.

Coventry, Preston, Barnsley (Millwall & Luton) have made the most of their limited squads & with good tactical nous & mostly work ethic/heart they pulled off some cracking results against teams that really should have beaten.

All in all I was really surprised at how easy in the end it was to stay up!

Marty

I think only Danjuma tore us a new one with his pace this year.

Absolutely ripped Pask a new arsehole and he ain't exactly a slouch himself, we got caught out a few more times then that, Blackburn for example was like watching men v boys.

The quality of players is definitely there, most can kill a ball dead with their first touch and ping on a perfect pass without even breaking sweat, most teams are faster then us, most teams are bigger physically. Look at the difference between Shipley, Allen compared to James.

Sky Blue Pete

We need to sign Chris Beyer

speedie87

At start of season I thought that every team had much better players than us but weren’t better teams due to some poor managers /coaches. Towards the end of the season I was seeing quite a few older players playing for teams who were past their best and legs had gone

Mucca Mad Boys

Absolutely ripped Pask a new arsehole and he ain't exactly a slouch himself, we got caught out a few more times then that, Blackburn for example was like watching men v boys.

The quality of players is definitely there, most can kill a ball dead with their first touch and ping on a perfect pass without even breaking sweat, most teams are faster then us, most teams are bigger physically. Look at the difference between Shipley, Allen compared to James.

With Blackburn, we did concede a penalty that resulted in a goal and a red card in the first 10-15 minutes of the game. Blackburn were also in a rich vain of form too!

slowpoke

Lot of players in the championship and below on unbelievable high contracts and not first team regulars milking money from their clubs blocking youngsters coming through it is madness but how can it be stopped. Bristol City have just released thirteen players and I read that will save £13 million in wages and that’s for a team that finished in the bottom six.

Covstu

Massive step up from league one. L1 and L2 are similar in terms of if you have decent quality you will be okay, whereas championship each game is very different and generally the same template and style won’t work on the next team.
my concern is that we still need a lot of investment and hope we didn’t ‘do a sheff Utd‘ in the premier and get found out But finance is going to be an issue. The step up for a lot of players has been too much and although they have done well for the odd game they aren’t at championship quality. Can’t wait for next year where we can actually go!

stupot07

Massive step up from league one. L1 and L2 are similar in terms of if you have decent quality you will be okay, whereas championship each game is very different and generally the same template and style won’t work on the next team.
my concern is that we still need a lot of investment and hope we didn’t ‘do a sheff Utd‘ in the premier and get found out But finance is going to be an issue. The step up for a lot of players has been too much and although they have done well for the odd game they aren’t at championship quality. Can’t wait for next year where we can actually go!

Completely agree with this.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

cooperskyblue

There is a big step up between League 1 and the Championship and we have done brilliant in our first season to finish 16th.

I don't think the overall standard of the championship is any different to when we were in it before. Yes teams have more money and there is more TV Revenue but I don't think there is much difference. This year had Norwich as the real stand out team but there were the seasons when Newcastle were in the Champ and blitzed the league too.

So I think the overall quality is similar and fluctuates season by season.

Liquid Gold

The top teams are miles ahead of the rest but apart from that there are a lot of teams that just rely on athleticism. I was really worried about the budget defect going into the season but you can see how much of it is just thrown away.

Away from the top 6/7 most teams could finish just about anywhere.

stevefloyd

I think in the championship when we made a mistake we got punished whereas we got away with it in league 1 but ultimately it was our lack of quality in front of goal that cost us plenty of points, the amount of times we had teams under the cosh but couldn't score to put the opposition under pressure. If we add more quality up front and some pace from midfield where we can 'scare' teams I think we will do well next season

Winny the Bish

Have to agree that I think the big difference is physicality. I didn't notice any other teams with defences as slow as ours. There wasn't really a game where i thought 'Attack that guy, we've got him on toast.' In L1 even Jamie Allen could outpace a defender to a through ball.

Obviously the relegated teams are far too good for us, we all know that. But we didn't get outclassed too often, just made some stupid mistakes to give away easy goals.

My biggest worry is 2nd season syndrome. The players had to fight tooth and nail for 43 games to stay up...if we let up and don't show that same fight and commitment then we're toast.

Mcbean

Players a lot quicker - but as above some teams just didn’t turn up - just acted like thugs Millwall , Brum , Preston , Huddersfield - Blackburn have Armstrong - we all saw beforehow good he could be - Danjuma another strong fast lad . You have to score goals which we struggled with mid season - those last 5 wins really did it

TM8792

There's obviously a gap between L1 and Championship, but I think the standard of the Championship this season is the worst it's been for a long time. Which makes it all the more concerning we were struggling so much.

I'm still baffled as to what happened to the team that turned up for the 1st half of our very first game against Bristol City. Excluding the nothing game(s) at the end of the season, I believe that was the best we played all season. Again, concerning.

Evo1883

There's obviously a gap between L1 and Championship, but I think the standard of the Championship this season is the worst it's been for a long time. Which makes it all the more concerning we were struggling so much.

I'm still baffled as to what happened to the team that turned up for the 1st half of our very first game against Bristol City. Excluding the nothing game(s) at the end of the season, I believe that was the best we played all season. Again, concerning.

Your account is parody surely ?

Users who are viewing this thread