Online Gossip - Pompey want Shipley on loan (1 Viewer)

long way home

Shipley played an important part in where the club is today, but I fear we have developed faster and further as a club, than he has or will as a player. The emergence of Howley, return of Jones and Allen really showing vast improvement, is leaving Shipley clinging to a seat on the bench most weeks.

Put the above with others due back from injury, potential additional signings coming in and players keeping starting roles, him getting games is becoming less likely each passing week. A loan might be his only chance of regular football and something MR may allow if he thinks others are passing him by at the club. If he stays and fights for a place nobody will moan as I think most respect his effort and endeavor.

Tea & Busquets

don’t see the need of slagging him off. he’s a good player on his day but has not shown that he’s championship calibre, he’s league one forsure at the moment until he proves otherwise. we no longer require his services and i think it’s best he moves on for his own sake as well, we appreciate all he’s done for the shirt 💙PUSB

fatso

He's been a valued member of the squad during our rise from league 2 to where we are now, but unfortunately he's become a victim of the very success he was a part of.

The Championship is proving a step to far for him, and he hasnt showed he can make the step up in class.
Sheaf and Hyam took time to adjust, and Allen took a whole season to make the step up, but unfortunately Shipley hasnt showed he can do it, and became a passenger when given the opportunity.
And worryingly, he doesnt even look fit, which is a concern.

slowpoke

I haven’t checked but I wouldn’t be surprised if you had similar negativity to Sheaf in the close season on whether we should sign him. Shipley played a lot of games last season his first in the championship with five of our best players out injured he wasn’t a star but always put a shift in and I know played games when not 100% fit, and in fairness hasn’t had chance yet to play in our best team.

stevefloyd

Pretty shit comments about a local lad who’s done well at the club. Needs to move on but not exactly hurting anyone, nor is he on a massive wages.
Good luck to him
Pretty shit comments but sadly very true comments, I don't think anyone is lambasting the lad just saying he isn't good enough for us in this division!

Bugsy

Last edited:

stevefloyd

I have had plenty to say about Shipley in the past, when he first came in to the team he was very young and looked dare I say a little intimidated but he proved me wrong and some of his performances were fantastic, now thats a long time ago. One thing I have said consistently about him is his apparent lack of concentration, when he would do something very well, and we are saying wow Shipley thats great only then to give the ball back to the opposition with a dreadful pass!
He has scored some great goals for us and rightly got the pluadits for them but now he appears to hide when he is on the pitch, he has been given multiple opportunities but seemingly continues to put in lack lustre displays, looks scared to death to get anywhere near to a tackle, pushes people from behind, fails to track back with any urgency and hides so he is not in a position to recieve a pass, I think even with Sky Blue blinkers on our fans can see this and no this isn't a case of trying to slag Shippers its 100% on display every time he plays. I don't know what the hell is up with him and cannot believe the staff haven't addressed this with him or perhaps they have and even their patience has finally worn thin, at one time he had potential but sadly that seems to have long time disappeared so its time for a new challenge for him now...thanks for the memories Jordan, I hope you relight your fire again.

NorthernWisdom

There are also other suitors including from the Championship too and at least one has made a bid for a permanent move, not yet accepted, showing other managers and scouts believe he can do it at this level. Not certain what valuation the club want or if add ons etc, but if not then a short term loan to get some minutes wouldn't be a bad idea
Given his contract's up, I'd have thought a bit of cash now to put towards the squad is better than sending him out on loan... for all parties, too, as a permanent move would give Shipley stability beyond this season.

(Which team?)

Bugsy

I have had plenty to say about Shipley in the past, when he first came in to the team he was very young and looked dare I say a little intimidated but he proved me wrong and some of his performances were fantastic, now thats a long time ago. One thing I have said consistently about him is his apparent lack of concentration, when he would do something very well, and we are saying wow Shipley thats great only then to give the ball back to the opposition with a dreadful pass!
He has scored some great goals for us and rightly got the pluadits for them but now he appears to hide when he is on the pitch, he has been given multiple opportunities but seemingly continues to put in lack lustre displays, looks scared to death to get anywhere near to a tackle, pushes people from behind, fails to track back with any urgency and hides so he is not in a position to recieve a pass, I think even with Sky Blue blinkers on our fans can see this and no this isn't a case of trying to slag Shippers its 100% on display every time he plays. I don't know what the hell is up with him and cannot believe the staff haven't addressed this with him or perhaps they have and even their patience has finally worn thin, at one time he had potential but sadly that seems to have long time disappeared so its time for a new challenge for him now...thanks for the memories Jordan, I hope you relight your fire again.

He hasn't gone yet give him chance, talk about premature vocabulation... PUSB

stevefloyd

Plenty of insincerity, I’ll drive him there, etc. Questioning his application, and effort. Probably just people taking the mick, but feel he’s earnt a bit of respect.
You know that was a flippant tongue in cheek remark but I would sincerely love to drive him there not to take the piss but for the chance to talk openly and honest with him and ask him whats gone wrong , I would dearly love that chanceto try and understand why the massive confidence drop but thats not going to happen unfortunately.

SBT

You know that was a flippant tongue in cheek remark but I would sincerely love to drive him there not to take the piss but for the chance to talk openly and honest with him and ask him whats gone wrong , I would dearly love that chanceto try and understand why the massive confidence drop but thats not going to happen unfortunately.

Incredible backtrack here

I’LL DRIVE HIM THERE MYSELF (so I can treat him to a McFlurry at Oxford Services)

THEY CAN HAVE HIM ON A FREE (so they have more money for a nice welcoming gift on arrival)

NOT CUT OUT FOR THIS DIVISION (because he’s destined to be the next Prime Minister)

larry_david

I think it speaks volumes that in league 1 he was one of my fav players and when he signed that new deal in lockdown I was buzzing. But given his attempts at a performance in the championship it soon changed. We needed every ounce of grit, determination, energy, skill and luck last season to stay up and all I saw from Shipley was a lack of the above.

And now? Well we've probably come to a time to say goodbye, I was hoping with summer he'd blitz the running and come back fitter and determined but I guess not. Put it this way, if we're 1-0 down tomorrow with 20 mins to go and MR brings Shipley on, I'm not encouraged we're getting back into it.

Jamesimus

Can't dislike the lad being one of us and all.

However, we have better options in his position and I think game time would be beneficial to both parties.

He defo has his issues with athleticism / overall fitness, but has a mean left foot and the thing I like about his play is how close he gets to the striker and offers runs in behind. Think that's what he does best. He can have an overall poor game in terms of his use of the ball, but still chip in with a goal.

COV

Pretty shit comments but sadly very true comments, I don't think anyone is lambasting the lad just saying he isn't good enough for us in this division!

You said you’d drive him there yourself in order to get rid? Quite a bit of back-pedalling going on.

Grendel

You said you’d drive him there yourself in order to get rid? Quite a bit of back-pedalling going on.

Don’t see any need to back peddle - if that’s his view so be it

The Philosopher

He’s a good player in the right set up. He has a great left foot and a great passing range and seems cool in front of goal and doesn’t panic.
He reminds me of an old school Ian Crook type player.

That said, our team isn’t old school and tracking back and tackling are key requirements- things that JS isn’t the best at.

He’s 23 so a loan move may well suit.

fatso

He’s a good player in the right set up. He has a great left foot and a great passing range and seems cool in front of goal and doesn’t panic.
He reminds me of an old school Ian Crook type player.

That said, our team isn’t old school and tracking back and tackling are key requirements- things that JS isn’t the best at.

He’s 23 so a loan move may well suit.
You clearly didnt watch him in the cup game, he had that golden opportunity to put the tie to bed and fluffed it, and didnt manage to impose himself on the game in the way that Allen did.

It looks like his time here is coming to an end, he has too many players above him already, and with Kelly and Eccles to come back, he cant be guaranteed a place on the bench.

And on top of that, we have some great u23 players that are looking to step up, and Shipley is blocking their path.

He was good for us in the lower leagues and would fit league 1 very well.
If he moves on, I'll thank him and wish him all the best, and I think the time is right.

jordan210

Jordan has been a good servant to the club. But like Max and others the club has to move forward.

The lack of fitness and tackling is why Shipley should be moved on even if on loan to see if he develops. We cant afford to have passengers at this level.

Some of our fans would have shirt numbers retired for players like Shipley and Max. At this rate we would not have any numbers left !

RegiswasGod

You clearly didnt watch him in the cup game, he had that golden opportunity to put the tie to bed and fluffed it, and didnt manage to impose himself on the game in the way that Allen did.

It looks like his time here is coming to an end, he has too many players above him already, and with Kelly and Eccles to come back, he cant be guaranteed a place on the bench.

And on top of that, we have some great u23 players that are looking to step up, and Shipley is blocking their path.

He was good for us in the lower leagues and would fit league 1 very well.
If he moves on, I'll thank him and wish him all the best, and I think the time is right.
Exactly this.

Hobo

Unfairly pilloried on imo here has hardly played this season so can’t really talk about fitness levels but with a new first team coach they might be better.

It is embarrasing - the lack of respect for a local player who has been on the journey with us from League 2. Has played his part. Even last year, as a squad player, even if he struggled.

If he goes I wish him well. If he stays I still think he has a squad number on merit. I said before the season started, it is a big year for him and he needs to improve on last years performances.

Alkhen

Some of our fans would have shirt numbers retired for players like Shipley and Max. At this rate we would not have any numbers left !

No, most reasonable people just appreciate the parts players like Max and Jordan have played in our recent history and success.

Most can see if its time to leave its fine, its just couple of babyish edge Lords who are stuck thinking being harsh and extreme makes them look cool or interesting that slag off players.

DannyThomas_1981

No, most reasonable people just appreciate the parts players like Max and Jordan have played in our recent history and success.

Most can see if its time to leave its fine, its just couple of babyish edge Lords who are stuck thinking being harsh and extreme makes them look cool or interesting that slag off players.

Very well said Alkhen.

The interesting thing is that the very same people who are 'stuck thinking being harsh and extreme against our players as they think that makes them look hard' .....actually cry like little bitches as soon as they are called out on it as well.

KenilworthSkyBlue

He'll be a credit to any League One club whether that's Portsmouth or someone else. Shame he couldn't cut it in the Championship but it was quite clearly a step too far.

Users who are viewing this thread