Oliver Holt - Journalist (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator

Going off calling certain clubs racist.

It's getting silly now, these people aren't interested in putting facts across. It's purely scare, hate mongering and stirring things up.

Clubs now replying to him on Twitter

Grendel

I think Holt is a pretty good columnist and has a point. One area where you can easily argue racism exists is in management of football and the people who make those appointments

Ring Of Steel

Going off calling certain clubs racist.

It's getting silly now, these people aren't interested in putting facts across. It's purely scare, hate mongering and stirring things up.

Clubs now replying to him on Twitter

But he's right, and they are facts?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I’m annoyed that whilst he mentions it in the article, he doesn’t highlight it in his tweet.

he focuses on EFL teams, why doesn’t he go straight after Arsenal or Spurs for hiring white managers?

the problem it’s an old boys network, people like Pardew and Holloway have done it before so deemed safe- they’re crap but they’re not untested. It’s wrong but that’s what’s got to be changed. New coaches have to be given chances.

Otis

Oh, have I misread it then. I thought in that initial clip of the article he was saying black managers were replaced with white. Got it wrong then. I had no idea who Michael Jolley and Carl Fletcher were. I thought he was saying they were black managers replaced by white managers.

Right, I will delete my posts then. Got it wrong. Numpty.

Otis

There are not enough good black managers out there, which makes you think maybe they are not getting enough of a chance perhaps.

For what it is worth, I always thought Dion might make a good manager.

Ring Of Steel

Doesn't mean Grimsby or Leyton Orient are racist though, which is the implication.

I agree with you. I do think he's right to point it out, but I'd like to think, and do think that this is more old boy network as opposed to large scale racism.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But the insinuation is they picked a white person cos of race.

Black managers most likely replaced a white manager. Did the choose the black guy because he was black and they had an anti-white agenda?

There's almost certainly is a subconcious racial element included in some managerial appointments but I'd say that 99% of appointments are made in good faith that they believe they've picked the right person.

There's absolutely no women managers despite women making up a far larger percentage of the population so I assume every single club are sexist and should be boycotted.

Grendel

But the insinuation is they picked a white person cos of race.

Black managers most likely replaced a white manager. Did the choose the black guy because he was black and they had an anti-white agenda?

There's almost certainly is a subconcious racial element included in some managerial appointments but I'd say that 99% of appointments are made in good faith that they believe they've picked the right person.

There's absolutely no women managers despite women making up a far larger percentage of the population so I assume every single club are sexist and should be boycotted.

There’s no woman managers as oddly no women play men’s football - that is dumb even by your standards

Grendel

To be fair, no men play women's football

Not really relevant the proportion of black players to managers though is it. It’s a huge statistical anomaly

rob9872

There should certainly be more BAME coaches in the system by now, but possibly managers should come as a much higher figure in the next generation.

It’s banded about that 25% of players are black therefore 25% of managers should be, but the managers are a from a previous generation of players when eg 5-10% were black so 5-10% should be black managers. Arguably that quota still isn’t met but would be a lot closer.

Where the stats may rightly or wrongly be skewed would be in the % of new managers or coaches and from, those retiring now in which case you’d rightfully debate there should be fairer representation, however again even those figures are skewed by the fact that a lower % of black players go for their coaching badges because they think what’s the point if I’m fighting against the tide to get a job? Until there is a more representative number the % of coaches coming through is unlikely to alter too. Furthermore PL players now which has the highest representation of black players and where the statistics are from, are all earning so much money that I imagine lots whatever their colour, won’t need to work ever again if they don’t want to.

Certainly need to find a way to increase the numbers but not as straight forward as it appears.

Otis

But then we have the same anonomly with the lack of Indian and Pakistani, British born footballers in professional football.

rob9872

But then we have the same anonomly with the lack of Indian and Pakistani, British born footballers in professional football.
I agree, but I think that too is a generational thing. From families I know where the parents were first generation Indians and whilst the children (my age group) have been brought up much more westernised, there was still an expectation to study and get out to work so a whole raft of talent has been missed, however for their children it will be different again, so I'd expect a large influx of not just Indian, but other Asian kids too coming through the ranks.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It is, but I think the interest in football is also lower in those demographics with a preference towards cricket. Should be higher though.

TomRad85

Certainly at school the Asian lads were as keen for football as we were and still would be for a kick about. Not sure why it isn’t more the case for elite level.
I've always wondered and struggled to come up with an answer. My best guess is maybe a cultural thing, they value education highly so maybe come a certain age when a talented child could be pushed more in the direction of football, they are pushed away and back towards education. It makes sense as the odds of becoming a pro footballer are very slim but also may answer the question as to why we don't see more coming through.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

I've always wondered and struggled to come up with an answer. My best guess is maybe a cultural thing, they value education highly so maybe come a certain age when a talented child could be pushed more in the direction of football, they are pushed away and back towards education. It makes sense as the odds of becoming a pro footballer are very slim but also may answer the question as to why we don't see more coming through.

I’m inclined to agree with that, the pressure to go into academic or the medical professions is quite high for them.

rob9872

I’m inclined to agree with that, the pressure to go into academic or the medical professions is quite high for them.
I think you'll see a change in 3rd generation families of which there are now many.

TomRad85

I think you'll see a change in 3rd generation families of which there are now many.
We'll see but I'm not so sure. My wife is a private tutor who is mainly employed by people desperate to push their children into swanky private secondary schools and at least 50% of her clients are Asian with the rest spread out among English, Turkish, Italian etc... I guess time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread