Proud Sky Blues (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

Didn’t want to tag this onto the racism thread but it’s very much of a piece. Fairly innocuous post from the club yesterday:

And some completely normal replies:

(That’s just three of top five comments I see on Twitter)

Now I like a moan about pointless virtue signalling as much as the next man, personally I hate requests for applause on a given minute for whatever cause/dead person. But I don’t pop into the clubs replies to tell them this, it’s massively insensitive and I get it means a lot to others. I’m not a particular fan of the endless rainbows either. But this is LGBT history month, and the EFL are putting rainbow balls out, it’s not just a random thing.

Just like the Palmer abuse showed the need for taking the knee, the response to this for me shows the need for more visibility of LGBT people in football.

Anyway, have at it SBT

the joker GIF

Last edited:

MikeyMoo

I have a lecture I give in fresher World Politics about sport. It’s ALWAYS been political, about race and gender. Trans athlete debates in sport are old news What I find interesting is that the Freshers are so athlete focused. They get individual athletes are political and politicised but it’s harder to see sport as a whole as politically constituted. Money, sex, power, sport. From Roman Circuses feeding Christians to the lions to Sheffield Wednesday…

Skyblueweeman

Don't get how you can be that wound up by a small gesture by the club that has no bearing or makes no intrusion on your life whatsoever

It's like with the knee I constantly told people if it winds you up that much stay in the concourse for an extra pint
Kind of agree. Football, whether the meat-heads like it, is becoming more inclusive and everyone should be able to enjoy it regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality etc etc. The club are doing their bit and that should be congratulated.

Unfortunately there will always be a % of the fan base who will be against things like this.

And I've found on occasion that people who start a response with 'I'm not homophobic but...' are more than likely to be homophobic.

Nick

Administrator
Not really sure what the issue is. Aren't the club saying they are just showing support by using a matchball and various other things? Not much different to rainbow laces.

They aren't saying only gay people can go to the game. Whilst I don't agree with "sectioning" as a city fan is a city fan whether they are gay, straight, black, white I don't see the issue.

rob9872

I have a lecture I give in fresher World Politics about sport. It’s ALWAYS been political, about race and gender. Trans athlete debates in sport are old news What I find interesting is that the Freshers are so athlete focused. They get individual athletes are political and politicised but it’s harder to see sport as a whole as politically constituted. Money, sex, power, sport. From Roman Circuses feeding Christians to the lions to Sheffield Wednesday…
Trans and trans athletes are two completely different topics imo. Trans - absolutely be who you want to be and fek anyone who doesn't like it. Athletes using it for personal gain at the expense of others who have worked their whole life to be the best they can be and miss out on success to someone genetically stronger, can fek right off.

Astute

I don't agree with those born male but taking part in womens sport as being fair. Women can train as hard as they like and be as gifted as possible but they will always be on another level. Womens records are being smashed at several sports yet some make out it makes no difference.

But otherwise what's the problem?

Robinshio

i hear so many homophobic comments at our games and even on here - all of the " i bet you go to rainbows " type of comments, and some much worse
Many people still have an attitude which was prevalent in the 70s and 80s and have not educated themselves

Love is love is a very true statement whether it is sexual orientation, race or any potential differences that people see .

I also disagree with transgender sports as in men who have transgendered to women , taking part in womens sport - as this is clearly unfair to other competitors in my opinion, but at the same time a lot of thought does need to be given in this area

The American Samoan player who transgendered was still happy to compete from a sports point of view in the mens world cup - and i would go along with that view

curly_tom

I am encouraged in general by the people on this board. There are a few tears who spout prejudice stuff but in the main people here call out others who make racist, homophonic, a list remarks. Work to be done on the use of the word ‘Mong’ which is abhorrent and often gets ignored. People on Twitter however seem to be a different type in some cases.

Last edited:

napolimp

Trans and trans athletes are two completely different topics imo. Trans - absolutely be who you want to be and fek anyone who doesn't like it. Athletes using it for personal gain at the expense of others who have worked their whole life to be the best they can be and miss out on success to someone genetically stronger, can fek right off.

Really? You know someone who has transitioned for personal gain do you?

Tommo1993

Minefield. This is something that the club will never win. Wouldn’t it be weird if they celebrated gender for a game? Or skin colour? (This isn’t a complaint like those twitter replies) just think it’s closer to exclusivity.

Heard Fadz was frozen out because suddenly he identified as a northern tavern wench.

AOM

There were deranged responses to the Facebook post too, which unfortunately isn't surprising, but you then see the amount of likes they still get...
It's not surprising that some players still don't want to come out to the public

Users who are viewing this thread