Offensive Comedy? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Bet you're a laugh at parties.

I wonder when anti-semetism will be diluted.

It has been in the Labour Party - but Ken is back soon

#rightoncue

pastythegreat

Bet you're a laugh at parties.

I wonder when anti-semetism will be diluted.
I'm a laugh at parties for not calling people made up words? Hum

Islamaphobia.
Phobia - definition - an extreme or irrational fear of.
Fear of what? Of a religion about a made up person?? Doubtful.
Islamabhorrrence maybe. But if people are going to make words up at least have them make sense!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

NorthernWisdom

I'm a laugh at parties for not calling people made up words? Hum

Islamaphobia.
Phobia - definition - an extreme or irrational fear of.
Fear of what? Of a religion about a made up person?? Doubtful.
Islamabhorrrence maybe. But if people are going to make words up at least have them make sense!
There's only one thing not making sense around here. You'd almost think you had a guilty conscience... a bit like Red Ken, maybe? Peas in a pod?

Grendel

Would he be one of those lefties, that dilute the words of prejudice by calling anybody them, by any chance?

Only person I’ve ever known call a journalist a concentration camp guard to be fair

pastythegreat

Funny how you stopped at anti-semetism. I assume that hasn't been diluted then and is very real then, and people deserve to be called that?
Well, considering semitism is a real word, and being anti something is a real thing, you can be anti-semetic. You are anti Jewish.
My argument was that islamaphobe isn't a real word, it also isn't a real thing.
If you were to say anti-islam then that'd be fine! But please don't use made up words telling me I have a phobia of Islam in the completely wrong context

NorthernWisdom

Well, considering semitism is a real word, and being anti something is a real thing, you can be anti-semetic. You are anti Jewish.
My argument was that islamaphobe isn't a real word, it also isn't a real thing.
If you were to say anti-islam then that'd be fine! But please don't use made up words telling me I have a phobia of Islam in the completely wrong context

I don't think you understand how the English language works.

Still, nice to see you abhor prejudice against Jews, if not anyone else. It's a start.

NorthernWisdom

Please explain what islamibhobe means then?

What do you hope to gain? Do you want us to tell you that you're not racist or islamophobic? Is that it?

In my experience, the only people afraid of being called racist tend to be a little bit... racist. I'm sure you're not, but there has to be a reason for why you're so quick to claim the meaning of those two has been diluted (or that one is even a made up word, give me strength!), but not to dilute anti-semetism.

pastythegreat

What do you hope to gain? Do you want us to tell you that you're not racist or islamophobic? Is that it?

In my experience, the only people afraid of being called racist tend to be a little bit... racist. I'm sure you're not, but there has to be a reason for why you're so quick to claim the meaning of those two has been diluted (or that one is even a made up word, give me strength!), but not to dilute anti-semetism.
No, I don't want you to reassure me I'm not a made up word, I want you to explain to me how I don't understand the English language as you claim and explain what said made up word means. If islamaphobia means hatred of then I've been mis using the word phobia my entire life and I'd completely agree with you! If not then the word is being used in completely the wrong context and (as I suggested earlier) a better word to use would maybe be islamabhorrence. As phobia is a fear of and abhorrence is a hatred to.

So I'll ask again, please enlighten me on my misunderstanding of the English language?? I'm waiting!

NorthernWisdom

No, I don't want you to reassure me I'm not a made up word, I want you to explain to me how I don't understand the English language as you claim and explain what said made up word means. If islamaphobia means hatred of then I've been mis using the word phobia my entire life and I'd completely agree with you! If not then the word is being used in completely the wrong context and (as I suggested earlier) a better word to use would maybe be islamabhorrence. As phobia is a fear of and abhorrence is a hatred to.

So I'll ask again, please enlighten me on my misunderstanding of the English language?? I'm waiting!

You are a very strange individual!

ajsccfc

'Islamophobia' appears in both the Collins and Oxford dictionaries if it helps.

Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Bloody dictionaries.

pastythegreat

'Islamophobia' appears in both the Collins and Oxford dictionaries if it helps.

Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Bloody dictionaries.
So both dictionaries contradict themselves in the meaning of the word phobia then?! The word phobia either means dislike of prejudice OR it means irrational fear.
Which is it? Because it can't mean both.

ajsccfc

Words can have several meanings. If someone tells me I'm sick I'm not sure whether to thank them or get some Lemsip.

Phobia:

An extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

A phobia is a very strong irrational fear or hatred of something.

Of all the arguments to take, going up against how language works is a bold one.

pastythegreat

Are you continuing this because you realise how stupid it is to deny the existence of racism and islamophobia?
No, I'm continuing this because the word Islam and phobia have been put together by some Muppet in the complete wrong context, then regurgitated by more Muppets trying to accuse people of opposing something! It's a ridiculous word. It doesn't make sense!

And please also enlighten me, to be anti Islam would be racist how? What race is islam?

pastythegreat

When you're calling the dictionary a Muppet just because you don't agree with it, you're diluting the work of Jim Henson.
The dictionary didn't invent the word islamaphobia, it just added it, the same as it added other ridiculous words such as Cray, Adorbs and Amazeballs. Doesn't make them real words though!

Johnnythespider

I wish I'd never mentioned Tommy Robinson, although i do like diluted Robinsons barley water. Other Barley waters are available

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Reading this forum is better than a good book sometimes.

I think the point is being missed about Islamaphobia anyway. Surely a phobia is something irrational right?

Otis

Tell you what, there are many directions I thought this thread might take.

This wasn't one of them.
Indeed not.

giphy.gif

dancers lance

People reserve every right to say they are offended by something and I reserve the right to not give a shit how offended they are, then call them a little child and ask them to grow up. Being offended is a subjective viewpoint, what offends you might not offend me, who holds the moral high ground on being offended? People who shout "offended" at every chance are people who are not stable or intellectually strong enough to handle the emotional response of someone saying or doing something they disagree with, so they shout offended and wait for all of the other "offended" to jump in and support them, what a bunch of little turds, fuck you and your offence, be an adult or go and live in the dessert you measly little twats.

Paxman II

Racist is thrown around incorrectly by so any these days, mixed up with religion and so forth.
Free speech means exactly that. Say what the hell you want so we can all at least know what is our there.
It can offend me but I'd rather hear it and know it exist than pretend it does not.
On comedy, it should be fun to have jokes and exchanges where we can laugh at each other and see the curiously funny side of it without being offended as it's kept in context to the comedy.
Russell peters comes to mind. What a brilliant comedian he is and his audience are made up of the very people he attacks in his routines...and they love it!

Users who are viewing this thread