Offensive Comedy? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Also there are a lot of Nazi racist bigots out there. One that sticks out is in the White House (probably actually playing golf in Florida)

That reminds me. Is ken Livingstone back in Jeremy’s fold yet?

clint van damme

one of the main problems is people trying to use what other people have said for petty point scoring, this thread just typifies it.
They aren't offended but try to paint things as offensive to further their own agenda. This is what it's lead to.
No way this fella, who comes across as a bit of a dick, should have been prosecuted.

ajsccfc

The Ricky Gervais special is offensive, mostly that he made a theatre full of people pay to hear him moan about people who've been mean to him on Twitter.

Nick

Administrator
There's clearly a difference between a joke and somebody trying to offend you though.

I do quite like Dark Humour, Sickipedia and some Frankie Boyle.

It's a world away from somebody coming at me personally trying to be offensive when they are saying it as a joke.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Tangent alert !

Genuine question: Do you think its possible to laugh out loud at a joke that you actually find offensive?

clint van damme

To me the whole free speech/offensive speech debate isn't been played out on the comedy circuit but in the political arena.

And again I go to the petty point scoring thing. Many of those who bang the drum loudest for free speech only apply it to something they agree with but know upsets a lot of people.
They're the first ones crying when someone says something they don't like.

It has always been a difficult question though, and when it strays into incitement to violence territory the waters get muddied. Personally I consider myself to be an advocate of free speech but know there are times when that get's tested.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

To me the whole free speech/offensive speech debate isn't been played out on the comedy circuit but in the political arena.

And again I go to the petty point scoring thing. Many of those who bang the drum loudest for free speech only apply it to something they agree with but know upsets a lot of people.
They're the first ones crying when someone says something they don't like.

It has always been a difficult question though, and when it strays into incitement to violence territory the waters get muddied. Personally I consider myself to be an advocate of free speech but know there are times when that get's tested.

I get what you're saying massively, but I think the reason for that is because minorities generally get more curve when it comes to saying things that might be deemed 'hate speech'. Therefore you get people kicking off because you can't make a joke without ending up in prison, but we regularly let in hate preachers (there was one last week who was even banned in Pakistan) to say whatever they want. It's double standards.

My motto to other people in life is generally do whatever you want, so long as you're not hurting other people. Incitement to violence is pretty much that, so I don't think it's alright to go round saying you want to kill someone if it actually has anything serious behind it. On the flip side, imprisoning someone for making their dog do a nazi salute, and banning those 'right-wing' reporters from entering the country last week (one of them was giving a speech), is in my opinion over the top massively.

Liquid Gold

I get what you're saying massively, but I think the reason for that is because minorities generally get more curve when it comes to saying things that might be deemed 'hate speech'. Therefore you get people kicking off because you can't make a joke without ending up in prison, but we regularly let in hate preachers (there was one last week who was even banned in Pakistan) to say whatever they want. It's double standards.

My motto to other people in life is generally do whatever you want, so long as you're not hurting other people. Incitement to violence is pretty much that, so I don't think it's alright to go round saying you want to kill someone if it actually has anything serious behind it. On the flip side, imprisoning someone for making their dog do a nazi salute, and banning those 'right-wing' reporters from entering the country last week (one of them was giving a speech), is in my opinion over the top massively.
It's a difficult place to draw the line. For example where do you sit if someone is due to come to the country to do a speech about the benefits of an white supremacist ethno-state and the inferiority of other races. It isn't a direct incitement to violence but it could be interpreted in that way. If a member of the audience of that talk was then to commit crimes against minorities based on that people would be asking why we let the speaker in. the same of course goes for religious nut cases calling for a one religion state which could radicalise someone against apostates.

wingy

I haven't watched it nor am I.
I'm not going to add to the number Count as it just doesn't attract my attention.
I think the problem lies with the platform he's used.
My question is would it pass regulated medium standards such as TV?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's a difficult place to draw the line. For example where do you sit if someone is due to come to the country to do a speech about the benefits of an white supremacist ethno-state and the inferiority of other races. It isn't a direct incitement to violence but it could be interpreted in that way. If a member of the audience of that talk was then to commit crimes against minorities based on that people would be asking why we let the speaker in. the same of course goes for religious nut cases calling for a one religion state which could radicalise someone against apostates.

100% agree.

I think generally though, the white supremacists do get stopped (the ones last week weren't actually), but many of the ones on the other side kind of get away with it. Whether that is because the authorities don't want to be seen as 'racist', I don't know.

NorthernWisdom

I haven't watched it nor am I.
I'm not going to add to the number Count as it just doesn't attract my attention.
I think the problem lies with the platform he's used.
My question is would it pass regulated medium standards such as TV?
Well it's OK, it's not on his channel anymore, so you have to watch somebody else's ;)

But extending your analogy, Bernard Manning could book a venue to play his comedy gigs if he or a promotor could stump up the cash.

Even on TV, there was this!

Liquid Gold

100% agree.

I think generally though, the white supremacists do get stopped (the ones last week weren't actually), but many of the ones on the other side kind of get away with it. Whether that is because the authorities don't want to be seen as 'racist', I don't know.
The problem we have now of course is that people don't actually need to come in to the country. People can freely access material published in America, where they don't have as stringent laws against hate speech, or Pakistan, where mental religious rhetoric is the norm, leading to easy radicalisation. I don't know what the answer is to be honest.

Grendel

Why's that then? Because you don't agree with Tommy Robinson's views and therefore brand him racist (diluting the word racist) and want to shut down his free speech?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Well if you accused of abandoning a child you wouldn’t choose the Mccanns as character witnesses would you?

ajsccfc

Cool. When you consider my years of far-right 'activism' on top of that it's hard to deny your accusation. Cheers man.

I'm worried that you're diluting the word dilute.

Users who are viewing this thread