Match Thread Norwich FA cup (1 Viewer)

KenilworthSkyBlue

Why play a weakened team when we're over the hill now with regards to fixture congestion? I believe we only have one midweek game this month. Games don't start clogging up again until mid-Feb.

Rest those who have been carrying knocks/feeling fatigue and play those who are fine. There's no sense to put out a completely weakened side. We want to try and at least be competitive. Plus, who are we to turn our nose up at £60k?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I think some of the 'play the u23s' is a bit over the top. It should be a good opportunity to get minutes in some players legs using squad we have. Some of our first team squad are lacking first team minutes. I'd go with:
Wilson
Dacosta Ostigard Pask Thompson Giles
Allen Shipley
Bapaga Bakayoko Hillsner

Wouldn't have a problem with Biamou over Bakayoko, ideally we need someone to replace both in the starting XI so neither are likely to be crucial to the season.
Bapaga is the promising youngster we all hope can break into the first team, a great opportunity for him to show what he can do. Hillsner is finding his feet after a difficult start, or 'the worst signing of all time' depending on who you listen to. Allen has been decent in recent weeks and has the opportunity to show Robins what he can do against probably the best team in the league. Shipley is lacking minutes and while I think he is better suited further up the pitch, it gives him an opportunity to stake a claim. Similary to Hillsner, we haven't seen what Dacosta can do, perfect opportunity. Ostigard shouldn't be suffering from fatigue too much as he had a period in and out the team not so long ago. Pask and Thompson look like they're quite far out the picture, but again an opportunity to put pressure on usual starters. I really like Giles, he didn't give a good account of himself in his last start. A chance to put that right.

A team with some first team quality, some youthful exuberance and some players looking to put down a marker.

Paxman II

£450k is about a month's turnover in a L1 year with gates.

You've got off to a flyer this year!

What? How much do you think it takes the club to get to the semi finals, staging games home and away? That alone with no crowd income is a cost we could do without this season. We won't make the semi's. We won't get past Norwich, so moot point anyway.

fernandopartridge

What? How much do you think it takes the club to get to the semi finals, staging games home and away? That alone with no crowd income is a cost we could do without this season. We won't make the semi's. We won't get past Norwich, so moot point anyway.

You tell me

fernandopartridge

Why play a weakened team when we're over the hill now with regards to fixture congestion? I believe we only have one midweek game this month. Games don't start clogging up again until mid-Feb.

Rest those who have been carrying knocks/feeling fatigue and play those who are fine. There's no sense to put out a completely weakened side. We want to try and at least be competitive. Plus, who are we to turn our nose up at £60k?

According to paxman it'll cost us a fortune greater than £60k to travel to Norwich

johnwillomagic

Don't think we need to play the u-23's at all - can give players rest who have not missed a game/games via suspension or not being in the team.
I would run with this side assuming Rose is not yet fit.

Wilson

DaCosta Osti Fadz Pask McCallum

Shipley Hamer Sheaf

Giles

Baka

Subs: Camp, Dabo, Hyam, Allen, O'Hare, Hillsner, Kastaneer, Bapaga, Biamou

shmmeee

Wilson
Østigård McFadz Dacosta
Dabo Hamer Sheaf Allen Giles
Shipley
Biamou

Rest Hyam, who has played most games, and O’Hare. Dabo, Hamer, Sheaf, Giles, Biamou will all benefit from game time more than a rest I reckon.

Don't think we need to play the u-23's at all - can give players rest who have not missed a game/games via suspension or not being in the team.
I would run with this side assuming Rose is not yet fit.

Wilson

DaCosta Osti Fadz Pask McCallum

Shipley Hamer Sheaf

Giles

Baka

Subs: Camp, Dabo, Hyam, Allen, O'Hare, Hillsner, Kastaneer, Bapaga, Biamou

For some reason Pask wasn’t in the squad last game, Thompson was. Don’t know if he’s injured or on his way out or just out of favour. Also I’m guessing McCallum can’t play like the league game?

LilleSkyBlue

We should play a strong team in my opinion, although quite happy to not risk anyone carrying a knock that might otherwise play in a League game. Given that winning this tournament is our greatest achievement I do not like to see us disrespect the tournament, even if others do.

Totally agree. I have become increasingly convinced over the seasons that losing cup games with weakened sides has a negative effect on the dynamic of the following games.

Brighton Sky Blue

Totally agree. I have become increasingly convinced over the seasons that losing cup games with weakened sides has a negative effect on the dynamic of the following games.

True but it’s hard to choose between that and some Pyrrhic victory where we lose another few first teamers for a month. The defence can’t be rotated, they’ll have to start, but I think game time for the fringe players is a good thing.

SBAndy

Wilson
Østigård McFadz Dacosta
Dabo Hamer Sheaf Allen Giles
Shipley
Biamou

Rest Hyam, who has played most games, and O’Hare. Dabo, Hamer, Sheaf, Giles, Biamou will all benefit from game time more than a rest I reckon.

For some reason Pask wasn’t in the squad last game, Thompson was. Don’t know if he’s injured or on his way out or just out of favour. Also I’m guessing McCallum can’t play like the league game?

Agree with the bulk but I’d play Dacosta at RWB. There is a danger that we could lose Dabo in the summer so worthwhile seeing if he’s up to it before then. Maybe start one of Hilssner and Bapaga as well, but that would be all.

shmmeee

Agree with the bulk but I’d play Dacosta at RWB. There is a danger that we could lose Dabo in the summer so worthwhile seeing if he’s up to it before then. Maybe start one of Hilssner and Bapaga as well, but that would be all.

Yeah I think there’s a case for that. It was mostly that Dabo seems to be hitting form and Hyam needs a rest and we have no fit CBS.

AOM

What's the latest on Rose? Is he back in training or likely to make an appearance?

Briles

I dont think Robins will want our first teamers having no competitive game for 14 days. I think he will play near enough full strength but put use to the full 5 subs.

rob9872

I think we shouldn't risk Hamer or Dabo, so crucial to our season, but undoubtedly if either don't play, the conspiracy theorists will question if it's about being cup-tied and therefore imminent sale.

AOM

I think we shouldn't risk Hamer or Dabo, so crucial to our season, but undoubtedly if either don't play, the conspiracy theorists will question if it's about being cup-tied and therefore imminent sale.

I'd rest both too, especially as their backups will need game time and match fitness if they need to step in later in the season.
Want to see what Dacosta and Hilssner can offer too

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Held them to a 1-1 draw back in November. I would expect at least the same and bring them back to Highfield Rd, er.... The Ricoh ...... um..... Stans!

Magwitch

Don’t think either side are that bothered about going through 0-0 is there replays or is it penalties if a draw ?

Londonccfcfan

I think some of the 'play the u23s' is a bit over the top. It should be a good opportunity to get minutes in some players legs using squad we have. Some of our first team squad are lacking first team minutes. I'd go with:
Wilson
Dacosta Ostigard Pask Thompson Giles
Allen Shipley
Bapaga Bakayoko Hillsner

Wouldn't have a problem with Biamou over Bakayoko, ideally we need someone to replace both in the starting XI so neither are likely to be crucial to the season.
Bapaga is the promising youngster we all hope can break into the first team, a great opportunity for him to show what he can do. Hillsner is finding his feet after a difficult start, or 'the worst signing of all time' depending on who you listen to. Allen has been decent in recent weeks and has the opportunity to show Robins what he can do against probably the best team in the league. Shipley is lacking minutes and while I think he is better suited further up the pitch, it gives him an opportunity to stake a claim. Similary to Hillsner, we haven't seen what Dacosta can do, perfect opportunity. Ostigard shouldn't be suffering from fatigue too much as he had a period in and out the team not so long ago. Pask and Thompson look like they're quite far out the picture, but again an opportunity to put pressure on usual starters. I really like Giles, he didn't give a good account of himself in his last start. A chance to put that right.

A team with some first team quality, some youthful exuberance and some players looking to put down a marker.

100% agree, we need to play a strong a team as possible do not rusk anyone, keep the players ticking over ans use your 5 Subs Mr Robins by 60/70 Mr Robins.

Reckon this could be a draw, so make sure we have at the end some that can take a pen.

cov donkey kick

Maybe play a strong side 50 minutes then use all the subs for the last 40 odd minutes rest dabo and hyam from the start use dacosta rwb and Rose for hyam.

clint van damme

We've had years of being put on our arses by non league and lower league teams and I'd say thats far worse.

Users who are viewing this thread