Match Thread Norwich City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 3rd Feb (1 Viewer)

Matt smith

Moore, Kelly, Godden, Allen and obviously O’Hare will all be on decent money. So we might be able to rebuild without much addition to the wage bill. Another five and I reckon we go in with 22 Championship quality players.
We’ll spend at least 10 million this summer I think , and I think we’ll get a couple of loans also to bolster the squad.

If vik goes I think there’s real scope to be spending 15 or so

TomRad85

That is a fair comment, I made this comment the other day and said he always looks to improve LB. But not a position in my opinion that’s a must. A number 9 and a number 10 are key
They are but I'm convinced we'll bring in the 5 positions I've listed. Especially if Vik fucks off quickly in the summer to add some more millions to our pot.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Matt smith

If we can get a LB who is young and offer similar to MvE and Saka on the right with Wright/EMC I can definitely see us going for it.
We don’t go into the season with 3 left backs, who goes if so?

@TomRad85, you think he goes this summer? I can see him going to the prem, but it is a pretty big release clause

shmmeee

Purely in terms of first team upgrade I think LB is next after ST and AM to replace Cal. RW, CB and CM need back ups but first team is generally fine. AM, ST, LB, GK, CB in that order, I think we can find better and if it comes up well go for it.

shmmeee

@TomRad85, you think he goes this summer? I can see him going to the prem, but it is a pretty big release clause

Whoever we can get shot of. Probably Bidwell but maybe Dasilva is the fee is low enough and his wages aren’t silly.

TomRad85

Gyok? Yeh absolutely, the numbers he's racking, along with his general style of play make him impossible to ignore.

Matt smith

Gyok? Yeh absolutely, the numbers he's racking, along with his general style of play make him impossible to ignore.

I’m sorry if he goes and we spend most of it you’d fully Expect top 6 next season, with a team that will have cost say 45/50 million to assemble

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Right

Ellis simms 57% pass accuracy and 11 touches .

Surely fans realise its the way we play more than the actual strikers themselves ? If not there's no hope

Did simms have a shot today ? Did he recieve a single pass in the box today ?
Played through O’hare after spinning their Center half beautifully though, dont see much of that from Godden

shmmeee

Could legitimately have £15m+ to play with.

AM - £4m
ST - £4m
LB - £3m
CM - £1m
RW - £1m
CB - £2m

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching LB
Sheaf AM Torp
Saka ST EMC

Wilson
Burroughs Lats CB Dasilva/Bidwell
Eccles Palmer CM
RW Simms Wright

That’s a squad.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Thought we played quite well haji had to score

simms now a huge problem

I’d have played Kelly over Allen

6s and 7s apart from simms and allen

Kelly is surely a last resort? I was more surprised he didn’t start Eccles, which either says he doesn’t think he’s good enough or he doesn’t trust him in that position?

I think Simms is slowly starting to lose support of those who have backed him so far (me for one), I’m really hoping he’ll come good but I just can’t see him ever being an aggressive goal scoring forward and you can’t always keep him on the pitch purely because he’s a big awkward lump - Bayo was the same at Wycombe, but he also scored goals…and the way Simms comes across is very frustrating

napolimp

Could legitimately have £15m+ to play with.

AM - £4m
ST - £4m
LB - £3m
CM - £1m
RW - £1m
CB - £2m

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching LB
Sheaf AM Torp
Saka ST EMC

Wilson
Burroughs Lats CB Dasilva/Bidwell
Eccles Palmer CM
RW Simms Wright

That’s a squad.

Are you smoking crack? Why would Wright be in our back up, second string, line-up.

Whatever happens in the summer transfer wise, if we're still in the Championship then this is the line-up I want to see first game of the season: -

Collins
MVE - Thomas - Kitching - Bidwell
Sheaf - Eccles/Torp
Sakamoto - Palmer/O'hare sub - Wright
Simms

That's pure continuity right there. Hit the ground running with consistency from day one. No messing around, no getting to know each other (I.e. gelling) and how everyone plays. The newbies can work their way into the team as the season progresses. Want a season where we start off strong.

Last edited:

Dirk Turpin

Not read the last few pages but goes to show how much we miss sheaf in the middle. Sargent is a good player but how many times did he have chance to make a run and get behind the back line. No disrespect to Allen but DM/cm is not his role, Eccles should have started with torp and Allen breaking between lines later on.
Again not sure why we have stopped getting on the refs case when sakamoto was getting kicked to shit, seems like it's only Eccles that does that usually.

Legia Sky Blue

Kelly is surely a last resort? I was more surprised he didn’t start Eccles, which either says he doesn’t think he’s good enough or he doesn’t trust him in that position?

I think Simms is slowly starting to lose support of those who have backed him so far (me for one), I’m really hoping he’ll come good but I just can’t see him ever being an aggressive goal scoring forward and you can’t always keep him on the pitch purely because he’s a big awkward lump - Bayo was the same at Wycombe, but he also scored goals…and the way Simms comes across is very frustrating

Utter drivel!

Gint11

I’ve seen enough of Simms. So, if he’s good enough he needs to start showing it ffs

I’ve been to Sheff Wed FA Cup and yesterday and he was awful. Virtually no hold up play, comes off his shins, mis timed jumps, doing nothing in the box, not getting on the end of crosses and slow and cumbersome. I want him to be good. He was signed to score lots of goals and he isn’t.

Gint11

And…

57% pass completion is poor btw!!! As a lone striker who needs to hold the ball up to allow the midfield to transition up the pitch to counter, it needs to be 80/90% +

Ashdown

Home. Besides the result, left frustrated with a few things.

Defences must feel like they’re fending off a couple of tame kittens - where’s the strength, battle and grit from Wright or Simms? Wright in particular is piss poor off the ball, but neither of them are half the warriors we need them to be. Sakamoto, a player half the size, has it enough to spare.

Wright’s chance to put us 2-0 up. Shots don’t come much tamer than that.

Allen’s passing throughout. What was his success %?

Wasn’t Dasilva signed for attacking threat? Ain’t seen much of it…

David Wagner. Needs a lesson in respect and a fat lip chaser.
Have to agree with most of this. For two big blokes Wright and Simms looked powder puff and second to most balls. We’ve had this problem all season, fantastic play until we knock the ball into either of them.
Callum was superb today, the Norwich commentators were comparing him to Grealish. Torp will be a player too when up to speed. Add in Sheaf we have some class in the middle and hopefully the new guy adds something up front but for me we need the option of a traditional ball winning, good in the air, strong centre forward.

PVA

I don't think they necessarily need to be good in the air, but we need a centre forward who can play with his back to goal, take the ball into feet, and lay it off.

Simms is best when the ball is played ahead of him, Godden is best inside 12 yards, so neither of them can play that role.

Might be time to try Wright there, although I do think he's suited to playing off the left.

Flying Fokker

Picking up on a few points mentioned on here.

The crowd segregation: I thought it was exemplary. Was it the way the tickets were allocated anything to do with it? We got our tickets a couple of hours before they sold out.

That was my experience nearer the front third. I wouldn’t have chosen there because of what goes off at the CBS some times. We sat row O58/59 right next to the low Perspex/metalwork barriers. The banter between fans was good and people occasionally spoke across the divide. It was unavoidable to gain eye contact with their fans when we scored as we were facing towards the players celebration. Great telling a few of their fans that they’d missed our goal because they were late coming back.

The PA system was excellent.

The Norwich fans near us mirrored what we would want in going to a football match. The main wind ups seem to come from The East Stand anyway. Why did people throw things at each other on leaving? Not much but things did go over.

One steward stopped me from going up towards the back of the stand, however, he was happy to offer this after I’d spoken to him a bit. He would not let people up without proof of seat. He said that was because Coventry fans who cause disruption make for the top of the stand near the home fans. I’ve seen it myself in the past.

Parked at County Hall. Left the ground after most fans had gone out. Walked amongst Norwich fans who were fine. No big wind ups. Waited in the car park until the queues eased. Listened to CWR had a pastie and chat. Nothing too worrying there. Left at 5:35. Home by 8.

Macca

Simms I just don’t know if he’s got it, starting to doubt it. Interestingly Everton, a lower end Premier League club were convinced enough that there wasn’t much potential. Didn’t loan him to watch his development, flogged him outright at age 22 for a pittance in todays terms

Terry_dactyl

I don't think they necessarily need to be good in the air, but we need a centre forward who can play with his back to goal, take the ball into feet, and lay it off.

Simms is best when the ball is played ahead of him, Godden is best inside 12 yards, so neither of them can play that role.

Might be time to try Wright there, although I do think he's suited to playing off the left.
Both Wright and Simms have looked best when played out wide.

Users who are viewing this thread