Match Thread Norwich City - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 3rd Feb (2 Viewers)

SkyBlue_Bear83

You said he doesn't score or assist. I showed you that actually he has assisted more than anyone this season.
Yea 2 assists, hardly anything to shout about. The spin you're trying to put on 2 assists is embarrassing.

And he actually hasn't assisted more than anyone this season.

covcity4life

I’ve actually reported you for making racism a joke and I urge other posters to do the same

Good luck with that one.

Was a reply to someone asking why Palmer gets more pelters then others.

I am clearly refering to the lazy thread Robbie started that provoked great debate.

I will not reply to any more comments about the "pattern" again. Just refer to this :)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Wright’s shot needed more power and a little height. When you place a shot across a keeper and they’re going to ground, the ball needs to be elevated on the leg side.

💯 Correct, That's what separates a quality player from a average player.

Johnnythespider

Wright’s shot needed more power and a little height. When you place a shot across a keeper and they’re going to ground, the ball needs to be elevated on the leg side.
He often side foots when he'd be better putting his laces through it

PVA

He was trying to curl it into the far corner a la Henry, but you can see on the slow mo he just drags it.

So right idea, just bad execution

SkyBlue_Bear83

It's not spin, it's a statistical fact. But nevermind, we'll agree to disagree.
It's also a statistical fact he has 1 league goal and 2 assists, come back at the end of the season and if he has 5 goals and 10 assists you can effectively argue his case for contributing.

I'm sure even Palmer would concede his output this season and since he's joined is well below what he would like it to be.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

He was trying to curl it into the far corner a la Henry, but you can see on the slow mo he just drags it.

So right idea, just bad execution

Like I said, the difference between quality and average.

stupot07

It's also a statistical fact he has 1 league goal and 2 assists, come back at the end of the season and if he has 5 goals and 10 assists you can effectively argue his case for contributing.

I'm sure even Palmer would concede his output this season and since he's joined is well below what he would like it to be.
Neither were particularly good assists. First was out wide to Sakamoto who then did all the hard work of cutting in and finishing brilliantly into the far corner against Wednesday. And the other was giving it to Wright 35 yards out, who drove with the ball and finished really well against Swansea.

7f23cd6d9c0ca6927a06b568ceb2b429.jpg
a0101fdb28244665febac3e92481683f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

usskyblue

Nothing sums up Palmer more as a player than that bit of play vs Bristol City where he beat two men with some lovely quick feet and then played the most stupidly over hit through ball to Godden who wasn't even making a run and would never have got to even if he was.

This.

Technique-wise, he’s by far our best player, up to his final decision/execution which makes him very frustrating. That can be worked on in training but it needs to be focused on. His positivity was exactly what we needed on Saturday when we were a man light. We looked more fluid and carried a much bigger threat with him on the pitch but again, that final pass let him down.

Claiming he’s rubbish is pure nonsense.

PVA

Neither were particularly good assists. First was out wide to Sakamoto who then did all the hard work of cutting in and finishing brilliantly into the far corner against Wednesday. And the other was giving it to Wright 35 yards out, who drove with the ball and finished really well against Swansea.

No other player gets an investigation into how good their assists were.

I'm sure we could do that for every player and remove all the 'bad' assists. Then what, remove all the goals from everyone that wasn't a clean strike, or exclude all tap ins? Come on mate!

SkyBlue_Bear83

This.

Technique-wise, he’s by far our best player, up to his final decision/execution which makes him very frustrating. That can be worked on in training but it needs to be focused on. His positivity was exactly what we needed on Saturday when we were a man light. We looked more fluid and carried a much bigger threat with him on the pitch but again, that final pass let him down.

Claiming he’s rubbish is pure nonsense.
How can you claim he's technically the best player if at the same time he lacks the technique to execute the final pass or shot to a high standard.

usskyblue

How can you claim he's technically the best player if at the same time he lacks the technique to execute the final pass or shot to a high standard.

If you didn’t see how his introduction made us a better team, with a more attacking threat (even with 10 men), I can’t help you.
He did everything right with the shot (the keeper takes huge credit for the save imo).. all that was lacking was his final ball.

But if we’re judging our players on passing Fuckme, you’d have Bidwell, Allen and half the team in the bin. There’s execution issues with a lot of our players, I just don’t understand the constant examination of Palmer.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If you didn’t see how his introduction made us a better team, with a more attacking threat (even with 10 men), I can’t help you.
He did everything right with the shot (the keeper takes huge credit for the save imo).. all that was lacking was his final ball.

But if we’re judging our players on passing Fuckme, you’d have Bidwell, Allen and half the team in the bin. There’s execution issues with a lot of our players, I just don’t understand the constant examination of Palmer.
I don't particularly rate Allen and Bidwell plays a different position where the main part of his game isn't to provide goals and assists.

stupot07

No other player gets an investigation into how good their assists were.

I'm sure we could do that for every player and remove all the 'bad' assists. Then what, remove all the goals from everyone that wasn't a clean strike, or exclude all tap ins? Come on mate!
You were the only trying to say he created more goals per 90 minutes than any other player. Saying he created those 2 is a stretch. Ben Sheaf gave the ball to Torp 40 yards out for his goal against Sheffield Wednesday, it will go down as assist but you can't say he created the goal.

PVA

You were the only trying to say he created more goals per 90 minutes than any other player. Saying he created those 2 is a stretch. Ben Sheaf gave the ball to Torp 40 yards out for his goal against Sheffield Wednesday, it will go down as assist but you can't say he created the goal.

I was responding to the guy who said he doesn't make assist by proving that he does indeed make assists.

But I do generally agree that assists isn't a great metric, as I have mentioned on here before. Because it is as much down to the other player - you can lay off a 2 yard pass to someone who bangs it in from 30 yards and get an assist, or you could dribble past 4 players and put it on a plate to a striker who misses from 6 yards out and get no assist.

Some other metrics and Palmer's squad ranking (on a per 90 basis) :

Shot creating actions - 2nd
Key passes - 2nd
Passes into penalty area - 1st

stupot07

I was responding to the guy who said he doesn't make assist by proving that he does indeed make assists.

But I do generally agree that assists isn't a great metric, as I have mentioned on here before. Because it is as much down to the other player - you can lay off a 2 yard pass to someone who bangs it in from 30 yards and get an assist, or you could dribble past 4 players and put it on a plate to a striker who misses from 6 yards out and get no assist.

Some other metrics and Palmer's squad ranking (on a per 90 basis) :

Shot creating actions - 2nd
Key passes - 2nd
Passes into penalty area - 1st
Even those stats are floored. Just looking at SCA, I picked the last league game he had more than one, which was Sheffield Wednesday away. Of his 4 SCAs, 2 were for the same chance which was an Ellis Simms shot from 22 yards. Not sure how he managed to pass to himself to then pass it to Simms.

Yesterday his SCA was a pass to Wright, who passed it to Allen for a blocked shot 21 yards out.

I think I'll believe my own eyes on this one. It's not just me, I think a decent portion of the fan base are also seeing it. The only thing he needs to do is start delivering some end product on a regular basis, and he'll easily win us all over. He is 27 now, you do wonder if he has it in him to really kick on and start delivering.

And before I get lynched for never giving him credit, I said he was outstanding against Oxford gave him 9.5 MOTM, as he was, he'd have probably had a 10 had he not been at fault for their first goal.

Last edited:

PVA

I just find it odd how no other player gets their assists dissected to see how good they were, or their shot creating actions disqualified. I'm sure we could do that for every player and their stats wouldn't look very good.

Anyone is welcome to criticise any player they like, we all have our opinions. I just think all we can ask for is balance and fairness with any criticism - why disqualify some of Palmer's assists and passes down but no one else.

Do I wish he had more end product? Yes.

Do I think he gets unwarranted levels of stick from some? Yes.

Legia Sky Blue

The criticism isn't because he's a bad player, far from it. Its borne out of the frustration that most of us can see that he has the tools to be an exceptional player, certainly at Championship level, but in reality has been a fairly peripheral member of the team who is by no means certain of being a regular starter for us.

Grendel

I just find it odd how no other player gets their assists dissected to see how good they were, or their shot creating actions disqualified. I'm sure we could do that for every player and their stats wouldn't look very good.

Anyone is welcome to criticise any player they like, we all have our opinions. I just think all we can ask for is balance and fairness with any criticism - why disqualify some of Palmer's assists and passes down but no one else.

Do I wish he had more end product? Yes.

Do I think he gets unwarranted levels of stick from some? Yes.

Stu offers very balanced criticism - his post actually is more a comment on the flaws in the statistical analysis

PVA

Stu offers very balanced criticism - his post actually is more a comment on the flaws in the statistical analysis

I like a lot of his posts but with respect he is not balanced on Palmer.

It's only balanced if we look through every assist and every key pass of every player. Which he or you are more than welcome to do.

Grendel

I like a lot of his posts but with respect he is not balanced on Palmer.

It's only balanced if we look through every assist and every key pass of every player. Which he or you are more than welcome to do.

You have no balance on Palmer

• Haha
Reactions: PVA

Old Warwickshire lad

You can quote statistics,sac’s,usb’ GCSE’s and any other letters of the alphabet you want.
Most fans are not arguing,Palmer has more talent than virtually anyone else in our squad fact!
We see it most weeks, he makes outrageous turns spins out of tackles and leaves defenders for dead. Unfortunately he then plays a simple five yard pass straight to an opponent, on a regular basis.
He is not some young kid,he is a seasoned pro who should not be making these mistakes as often as he does.
None of us are against Casey,I just think he frustrates many of us.

Sky Blue Pete

You can quote statistics,sac’s,usb’ GCSE’s and any other letters of the alphabet you want.
Most fans are not arguing,Palmer has more talent than virtually anyone else in our squad fact!
We see it most weeks, he makes outrageous turns spins out of tackles and leaves defenders for dead. Unfortunately he then plays a simple five yard pass straight to an opponent, on a regular basis.
He is not some young kid,he is a seasoned pro who should not be making these mistakes as often as he does.
None of us are against Casey,I just think he frustrates many of us.
Should absolutely have put us ahead on Saturday

Johhny Blue

Nothing sums up Palmer more as a player than that bit of play vs Bristol City where he beat two men with some lovely quick feet and then played the most stupidly over hit through ball to Godden who wasn't even making a run and would never have got to even if he was.
Trust in MR to fix things like this. Some things can be coached and some not. Sheaf’s bad passes cost us a lot last season but it’s one thing in his game that has improved from good coaching. I expect the same for Palmer

Users who are viewing this thread