No wonder this club is becoming a joke on and off the pitch when... (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

Sorry Jack, I just got annoyed by reading in the first few posts the same-old anti-Thorn sentiments and started typing: couldn't bring myself to read the rest of the thread, an increasingly frequent feeling I'm experiencing of late.

sly_old_fox

good reading on a friday evening lads, quite interesting. Not here to take the piss because what goes around comes around, but nobodys mentioned it for a while, didn't you win a cup or something 25 years ago?

Grendel

Whatever the sympathy, whatever the reasoning, whatever the logic football is about one thing and one thing only - results. In 19 games time the bell will toll for thorn. Some will cry foul and some will say that's football.

Macca

He won t worry, believe what you read on here and there will be a queue of clubs trying to snap him up

Grendel

He won t worry, believe what you read on here and there will be a queue of clubs trying to snap him up

Well that will be the ultimate test of who is right and who is wrong? Were sisu restricting the talents of Andy thorn (even though they were very astute in appointing him to the job) or will he in fact never be employed as a manager again? Will another championship club swoop for his talents or will he disappear for good. Time will tell but I think I know the answer already and others are already preparing their excuses.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Oh here we go. It's like Macbeth. We have 'darkness' and 'chaos' here; might as well call Wyken and have 'conflct' around the cauldron too....

rob9872

Some good points in there NLHWC but a fitness coach is a huge excuse. Our backroom team and management are all ex-pros and many of the squad have worked with a fitness coach previously so should know what it's about. Not being fit enough is the poorest excuse of all the ones we can find for them.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Come on Rob, I've worked with a chef, but I can't do a Chateaubriand credit. And our senior management team aren't exactly spring chickens. If you think they should revert to their first-hand knowledge; well it's 30 years out of date. No other team, managed by ex-pros - as many are, ask them to cover all roles with that which has been picked up in years apast. Our peers invest in cutting edge knowledge and technology. And it shows...

rob9872

If a footballer needs to be told that he has to get fit to play then his attitude must be questionned. Staying in shape and able to perform for 90 mins is the minimum we should be able to expect imo.

Grendel

Oh here we go. It's like Macbeth. We have 'darkness' and 'chaos' here; might as well call Wyken and have 'conflct' around the cauldron too....

Mabeth? No midsummer nights dream I think and thorn plays bottom - the perfect role for the perfect fool.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Our payers are fit. But those conditioned by a full-time fitness coach and dietician will be fitter. If you don't believe me, why des every other team in this division invest so?

rob9872

Shhhhhhh. You mean the 'Scottish play'

rob9872

Our payers are fit. But those conditioned by a full-time fitness coach and dietician will be fitter. If you don't believe me, why des every other team in this division invest so?

Emperors new clothes.

rob9872

Seemingly the clothes purchased by 23 of the 24 chairmen of other championship clubs. But doubtless you're right, and these successful business people have frittered their money n the latest worthless dalliance

Firstly I doubt that 23 of them do have one. Secondly even if that were true, remember that one of them at least will finish a minimum of 23rd. Is that money well spent?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

On your first point, my investigations point to that being the case. On the second, to finish 23rd is better then 24th, and in turn 22nd better than 23rd, 21th better than 22nd. The latter being safety for next season. The difference between these steps being marginal. Retrospectively the least I would have wanted would to know that all the players at my clubs disposal were operating at their optimum.

Come the end of the season, if we finish 22nd, one point adrift from 21st; then to answer your question directly: too damn right

rob9872

In what way? Still bloody relegated!

In fact if we were only one point short the argument could be if we had pushed the boat out on paying higher wages to player B instead of a fitness coach and player A then we might have finished 21st instead of 22nd ... by one point!

BurbageSkyBlues

Rob, our propensity to lose games in the last Fifteen minutes, or so, is adequate proof that we lack the edge in fitness..... physically or mentally, possibly both?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

24th will be relegated. 23rd will be relegated. 22nd will be relegated.

Read again.

If we finish 22nd, one point adrift from 21st, would the investment to make the difference and overhaul the club one point from safety be worthy?

rob9872

And there lies the key. Mentally. All the fitness coaches in the world couldn't change that.

rob9872

24th will be relegated. 23rd will be relegated. 22nd will be relegated.

Read again.

If we finish 22nd, one point adrift from 21st, would the investment to make the difference and overhaul the club one point from safety be worthy?

Of course it would and if my auntie had balls ...
All hypothetical claptrap imo

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Rob, our propensity to lose games in the last Fifteen minutes, or so, is adequate proof that we lack the edge in fitness..... physically or mentally, possibly both?

Actually, although you are coming at this from a similar angle to I in this regard, there's another level of complexity,, insomuch as not only are our players as unfit as their peers, but our benches are not sufficiently strong as to provide an option to change things. Against Southampton in the cup, we couldn't even number a full bench. Not only are our players not as expertly conditioned to last 90 minutes; but when they tire, our contemporaries have more options, in more positions, with better fitness training. A perfect storm

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Of course it would and if my auntie had balls ...
All hypothetical claptrap imo

No. 21st is safe. 22nd is relegated. Fact. Not conjecture.

You asked a simple question. I gave a simple answer. If we are one point from safety, then yes, the investment in a fitness coach, over the course of a season, must be worth it

rob9872

I never asked about 21st and 22nd that was your interpretation of events to suit your argument. It is likely that with the best fitness coaches around we will finish 24th. You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. However since it can never be proved one way or the other then its all about opinions. Yours differs from mine. Not right, not wrong just different. Probably best I leave this thread here as it's now going round in circles.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Whilst I am happy to bid you good evening there, there's one issue upon which we must disagree - being that I don't think we shall finish 24th. Recent league from is better than some of our relegation colleagues. Whilst I am not stating that we shall be safe, I'll take a gentlemen's wager from you we won't finish bottom

Grendel

We will probably finish 25th

Grendel

And your appraisal of Thrn too rash, indeed, 'the lady doth protest too much methinks...' ;-)

Is that the best you can do? As you like it? Not a lot I'm afraid.

CUS Wyken

If I had one Shakespearian riposte to offer you and your fellow gloom-meisters, it would be 'Give thy thoughts no tongue'

Oh look at me I read Shakespeare...

Instead of quoting daft shakespeare bollocks. Try actually posting about football... Many on here offer our opinion yet you resort to irrelevant quotes...

CUS Wyken

If footballer can't get himself fit then they shouldn't be footballers. I agree we need a fitness coach but the players are professionals who should know what and how it takes to keep fit.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

If footballer can't get himself fit then they shouldn't be footballers. I agree we need a fitness coach but the players are professionals who should know what and how it takes to keep fit.

What bit isn't sinking in? We are not saying are players are not fit. What element of that don't you understand? We are saying that compared to clubs to do have full time fitness coaches and dieticians - which is every other club in the league - they will have a marginal edge; and that this would make a difference late on in games.

That's it. Not hard. What's so difficult?

CUS Wyken

What bit isn't sinking in? We are not saying are players are not fit. What element of that don't you understand? We are saying that compared to clubs to do have full time fitness coaches and dieticians - which is every other club in the league - they will have a marginal edge; and that this would make a difference late on in games.

That's it. Not hard. What's so difficult?
Did you miss the comment where I said I agree we need a fitness coach however If a grown man has to rely on someone to tell them what to eat and how to keep fit then someone wrong.

Now if a fitness coach is so important, I'm sure Thorn could bring one in if he really wanted too. Especially if a has been like Bent is on trial at the club.

Users who are viewing this thread