No expense spared then ? (2 Viewers)

Skyblueweeman

Tesla haven't spent a penny on advertising, the believe they should spent the money on research and producing the best product and then word of mouth will take care of it (and so far it has, can they keep that up though when they release a more mainstream model, I don't know), I don't mean Tesla alone would destroy major manufacturers, I mean Tesla and other car manufacturers who are open to this technology for the future (like bmw) will destroy those who think it's a fad and only a small percentage of cars will ever be driverless. We've already seen major manufacturers with their bribes (lobbying) trying to stop Tesla in the US and maintain their status quo.

You are right of course that the Tesla brand is very strong but for the most part the fans of Tesla are really fans of Elon Musk and believe that he really could change humanity with spacex, his solar and battery tech and with tesla, not to mention things like the hyperloop.

I agree that there are massive issues to overcome before large take up of this sort of tech, but they will be overcome. We'll end up with a situation that is much much safer, much better for the environment, convenient and easy to use, better in everyway other than the loss of pleasure some people get from driving and that will need to be fulfilled in a different way.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But can they make a good train station?

jimmyhillsfanclub

I can't find which thread it was on, but someone earlier this week referred to us signing players from the "toilet of despair"......I liked this phrase & think it would suit this station.

"Ladies & Gentlemen, The 14.22 is now departing from platform 2, calling at all stations to the "toilet of despair"....

Grendel

Automatic Climate Control? Automatic cornering correction? Assisted clutch control? As you can see, I could make dumb guesses all day......whats ACC please Grendel?

Adaptive cruise control - the car self brakes down to a minimum speed,

One one here says they like it.

Out of interest how many use a normal cruise control feature regularly?

Noggin

I think driverless cars, in real terms of mass take up, are many many years away....

Think how many times your latest top-notch technology freezes, glitches, shuts down or even gives you the trusty old BSOD....

If it happens just once in a driverless car, then it could kill several people....

Until they can prove 100% reliability....the potential for expensive & damaging litigation will always outweigh the manufacturers desire to push the product to market.....

I'd be surprised if they were anything other than a novelty for at least the next 15 years....

Driveless cars are going to be massivly safer than human drivers even well before they make it to market, you are of course right that it isn't a simple as that though if driverless cars were twice as safe as a car driven by humans that likely wouldn't be enough for people to accept it, we need to see something at least an order of magnitude or more safer for it to be accepted.

I don't think it's fair to compare it to computers etc that crash we trust technology for all sorts of life critical applications, it just needs to be developed with that in mind.

There certainly are major legislative hurdles to overcome, I see no reason they can't be solved.

Last edited:

James Smith

I don't think the train will be running on Saturday afternoons so we should be ok. ;)

The (two faced) council had planned for this station in the original build but the government (department for transport and the strategic rail authority) said no. Funny thing is I seem to remember that shortly after the Ricoh was built that the Nuneaton line wasn't being used because of engineering works further up the line. So basically (and yes I know it's very oversimplifying things) they could have run as many trains as they wanted to and from the stadium on match days.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I use it in my van (yeah...get me, I've got it in my van:D) but usually only on the motorway.....its great in avoiding tickets with the average speed camera zones...

...It also interesting (and annoying) to note the amount of drivers who sub-consciously accelerate as you overtake whilst on CC.....

This is known as half-wheeling in the cycling world & is a big big no-no when riding in a peloton...

Astute

I use it wherever average speed cameras are. I set it to about 52mph. Otherwise I go with the flow of the faster traffic.

Skyblueweeman

This is known as half-wheeling in the cycling world & is a big big no-no when riding in a peloton...

At the risk of de-railing (keeping it real for the thread), do you ride JHFC? I've had a Mekk Poggio Carbon model for a couple of years but looking to upgrade. Got back into cycling when the knees were telling me they had enough of football!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Great Eastern

'Out of interest how many use a normal cruise control feature regularly?'

Use it all the while when I'm truck driving. Takes a load of stress out of the equation and works out less fuel used which, as a depot spending £75K a week on fuel, is quite a lot of money. Sorry, but can't give you actual figures but even a couple of grand a week is significant.

Astute

At the risk of de-railing (keeping it real for the thread), do you ride JHFC? I've had a Mekk Poggio Carbon model for a couple of years but looking to upgrade. Got back into cycling when the knees were telling me they had enough of football!

Great for cycling where I live. Especially if you like trekking although it might be a bit heavy on your knees. I don't know who you work for but my place does a cycle to work scheme. You can buy any bike and pay for it out of your wages.....before stoppages. Some lads get a new one each year and sell their old one for close to what they pay unless they trash them trekking.

Noggin

Sorry I meant 10% and incrementally

The thought of Teala destroying anyone did amuse me though. Branding will always win through.

There are several issues to consider;

- technology cost and consumer cost
- the desire of major markets (not UK) to engage in the concept
- if the technology will limit the driving experience
- insurance differentials (already concerns being expressed)

Remember also even if some of the wildly optimistic forecasts are to be believed the car parc will still be massively non automated therefore having implications for manufacturers on RV management and network profitability so will be managed carefully.

I disagree regarding driving. Many enjoy it and will continue to do so.

Sorry I misread your branding comment when I replied earlier, it's certainly true that it's incredibly hard to break into an industry with such major established brands especially when the entry requirements are high. I don't think it's been done by any car company for a long time, I believe the last time it was really done was by jeep in the 40's (I could easily be wrong) but I think Tesla has now gotten over that hurdle and will now continue to go from strength to strength, they already have a major fan base, are well on their way to massively increased production and are sold out for the next 6 months or so, in a couple of years we will see the introduction of a mass market model. Tesla is worth $30Billion now already (though I think a big chunk of that is based on peoples beliefs regarding future performance)

We've recently seen the iphone and android take a massive amount of market share from the once utterly dominant nokia and blackberry too. If you are stuck in your ways and don't innovate it will catch up to you.

Grendel

Sorry I misread your branding comment when I replied earlier, it's certainly true that it's incredibly hard to break into an industry with such major established brands especially when the entry requirements are high. I don't think it's been done by any car company for a long time, I believe the last time it was really done was by jeep in the 40's (I could easily be wrong) but I think Tesla has now gotten over that hurdle and will now continue to go from strength to strength, they already have a major fan base, are well on their way to massively increased production and are sold out for the next 6 months or so, in a couple of years we will see the introduction of a mass market model. Tesla is worth $30Billion now already (though I think a big chunk of that is based on peoples beliefs regarding future performance)

We've recently seen the iphone and android take a massive amount of market share from the once utterly dominant nokia and blackberry too. If you are stuck in your ways and don't innovate it will catch up to you.

Tesla's retail policy means it will never succeed. Unless it joins the real retail world it will always be frozen out and never grow.

Noggin

Tesla's retail policy means it will never succeed. Unless it joins the real retail world it will always be frozen out and never grow.

If that were true there wouldn't be the huge level of whineing, crying and legalised bribary going on in America to attempt to prevent their retail policy. If they ever need to move to a more traditional model I'm sure they will but car dealerships are hardly a well loved institution and I hope they can thrive without them, they are certainly doing so now but things may change when they release the more mainstream and affordable model. I don't really see any reason that Tesla stores, test drives and online can't be enough (unless forced too by US Law) though I've never really thought about it.

Grendel

If that were true there wouldn't be the huge level of whineing, crying and legalised bribary going on in America to attempt to prevent their retail policy. If they ever need to move to a more traditional model I'm sure they will but car dealerships are hardly a well loved institution and I hope they can thrive without them, they are certainly doing so now but things may change when they release the more mainstream and affordable model. I don't really see any reason that Tesla stores, test drives and online can't be enough (unless forced too by US Law) though I've never really thought about it.

The main reason is that retailers, despite criticism, are retailers. They build a process and business model around retailing. So prospecting, dealing, marketing in a cut throat world is their business. It's a tough one as well but I would guess in the UK a very high percentage of dealerships are owned by 3 or 4 of the big retailers (certainly in the Premium Sector) - it is a very different game to the manufacturer.

If they did move into the franchise environment they would also have issues. They would I guess want solus status and an expensive CI. It would be a brave dealer group that took that on.

Noggin

The main reason is that retailers, despite criticism, are retailers. They build a process and business model around retailing. So prospecting, dealing, marketing in a cut throat world is their business. It's a tough one as well but I would guess in the UK a very high percentage of dealerships are owned by 3 or 4 of the big retailers (certainly in the Premium Sector) - it is a very different game to the manufacturer.

If they did move into the franchise environment they would also have issues. They would I guess want solus status and an expensive CI. It would be a brave dealer group that took that on.

If Tesla had been around for decades are were moving into a new market they knew nothing about I'd agree but with Tesla and space x they have moved into 2 of the most difficult industrys imaginable to get a foothold and have (despite very nearly going bust in 2008 with both companies) come out looking great and thats after building paypal which is completely different still. I think you have to be a very Brave man to bet against Musk, I don't see why Tesla shops+test drives can't replace the need for a dealer.

chiefdave

I don't think the train will be running on Saturday afternoons so we should be ok. ;)

To be honest I'm half expecting this, would not be surprised if our matches somehow don't qualify as big enough events to run the promised extra services.

Or the police will knock it on the head, there doesn't look to be anywhere for segregation, lets say we go up next season and have matches against Leicester, Wolves and Brum. Are the police going to be happy to have a large number of fans of both sides mixed in together? Can see trains not stopping at the Ricoh on those occasions for safety reasons.

Hope I'm wrong though and its all been properly thought thought and will make it easier for more people to get up to our games.

Sky Blue Kid

Out of interest SBK is it planned to be six lanes all the way round. sorry for the non football,non slag off SISU post
Not too sure Rev. Although widening is definately going on in the vast majority of the M25 up to 4-5 and even 6 lanes on the busiest stretches( junction 8 M4 turn off round underneath London to Dartford Tunnel) ;)

skybluetony176

Sorry I meant 10% and incrementally

The thought of Teala destroying anyone did amuse me though. Branding will always win through.
There are several issues to consider;

- technology cost and consumer cost
- the desire of major markets (not UK) to engage in the concept
- if the technology will limit the driving experience
- insurance differentials (already concerns being expressed)

Remember also even if some of the wildly optimistic forecasts are to be believed the car parc will still be massively non automated therefore having implications for manufacturers on RV management and network profitability so will be managed carefully.

I disagree regarding driving. Many enjoy it and will continue to do so.

Yeah. I'm off down to my local Triumph, Alvis, Austin, Morris, Wolseley, Riley, Humber, Hillman and Sunbeam dealers at the weekend to test drive some of their latest models. Oh, wait...

...on second thoughts I'll just go to the local Rover dealer instead. Oh, wait...

Grendel

Yeah. I'm off down to my local Triumph, Alvis, Austin, Morris, Wolseley, Riley, Humber, Hillman and Sunbeam dealers at the weekend to test drive some of their latest models. Oh, wait...

...on second thoughts I'll just go to the local Rover dealer instead. Oh, wait...

That's why they failed Tony. As a global brand they were all tripe. Why, when I am having a sensible discussion are you still behaving like a child?

Astute

The product will sell them not a dealership. dealerships are needed for high volumes. But until Tesla are a high volume seller they will not need dealerships all over the place. I am interested in one but not yet. But once we are down to 2 kids at home I will look into it seriously. The eldest at home is 13 now. I am a high mileage driver and like performance so one would be perfect. A perfect replacement for my people carrier :) And not having dealerships all over will not put me off. The charging areas they have means I will always be OK for charging. And they have the best batteries/chargers so far.

skybluetony176

That's why they failed Tony. As a global brand they were all tripe. Why, when I am having a sensible discussion are you still behaving like a child?

They were the original global brands, Austin especially. You could go to any corner off the globe for decades and find Austin cars, they had factories also in every corner of the globe. What they failed to do is adapt and move forward and eventually got overtaken by the manufacturers who's cars they use to laugh at. Most notably Nissan and Toyota.

So you go ahead and laugh at the small companies trying out the cutting edge technology but if I was you I'd look at the history of the automobile first and then ask yourself is laughing at them the right thing to do.

Sick Boy

To be honest I'm half expecting this, would not be surprised if our matches somehow don't qualify as big enough events to run the promised extra services.

Or the police will knock it on the head, there doesn't look to be anywhere for segregation, lets say we go up next season and have matches against Leicester, Wolves and Brum. Are the police going to be happy to have a large number of fans of both sides mixed in together? Can see trains not stopping at the Ricoh on those occasions for safety reasons.

Hope I'm wrong though and its all been properly thought thought and will make it easier for more people to get up to our games.

It seems to work alright at Brighton so should be alright at the Ricoh

Astute

Ford were in trouble at one stage. Henry Ford wanted to keep the Model T. They did so well at first because they were the ones who started the production line instead of a car at a time. But the other car makers were making better cars eventually. He was more or less forced to change his ideas.

I have cars built by the bigger makers normally but not their top sellers. I want something a bit different. And I don't have silver, black or white just because most other people do. I never have to look for my cars in a car park. And I am not alone in wanting something different.

Grendel

They were the original global brands, Austin especially. You could go to any corner off the globe for decades and find Austin cars, they had factories also in every corner of the globe. What they failed to do is adapt and move forward and eventually got overtaken by the manufacturers who's cars they use to laugh at. Most notably Nissan and Toyota.

So you go ahead and laugh at the small companies trying out the cutting edge technology but if I was you I'd look at the history of the automobile first and then ask yourself is laughing at them the right thing to do.

So all your global brands are now down to one.

Austin to my knowledge only built cars at longbridge and died as a company in the early 50's - swallowed up by the company that effectively was BL.

They weren't a global brand and your Nissan comment is funny as Austin are in some circles credited with inadvertently starting that companies growth.

The motor industry is dominated by a handful of players and for many reasons always will be.

Grendel

Ford were in trouble at one stage. Henry Ford wanted to keep the Model T. They did so well at first because they were the ones who started the production line instead of a car at a time. But the other car makers were making better cars eventually. He was more or less forced to change his ideas.

I have cars built by the bigger makers normally but not their top sellers. I want something a bit different. And I don't have silver, black or white just because most other people do. I never have to look for my cars in a car park. And I am not alone in wanting something different.

So what do you own now?

Astute

So all your global brands are now down to one.

Austin to my knowledge only built cars at longbridge and died as a company in the early 50's - swallowed up by the company that effectively was BL.

They weren't a global brand and your Nissan comment is funny as Austin are in some circles credited with inadvertently starting that companies growth.

The motor industry is dominated by a handful of players and for many reasons always will be.

So what is stopping Tesla from doing well then getting bought out by one of the big players? There are not many because the big players buy out the others when they hit problems or are a money making buy.

Grendel

So what is stopping Tesla from doing well then getting bought out by one of the big players? There are not many because the big players buy out the others when they hit problems or are a money making buy.

Why would anyone want them? They have no brand identity and would be a nightmare in the franchised network to attract retailers interest.

Astute

So what do you own now?

The one you can see on my avatar, MG TF 1.8 flip colour, Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 V6 gold and a motorhome. On the lookout for a Triumph Stag.

Astute

Why would anyone want them? They have no brand identity and would be a nightmare in the franchised network to attract retailers interest.

The technology is worth a lot. Look at how much they are pumping into electric cars.

Try going back a fair few years now. Who would want to buy Skoda? They were a joke of a car. Now they are a decent mainstream motor.

Users who are viewing this thread