No expense spared then ? (4 Viewers)

Grendel

So they should be extended to 6 lanes because in another 35 years it will be needed? I would prefer the pot holes to be done first.

Where did he say 6 lanes?

Stop twisting his words.

cloughie

why should anyone be moaning about the station we have done without so far and hey ho we will have a new stadium in the next...................................................................................................................

Sky Blue Kid

Really is it either or? Yes pot holes also need attention imagine 5 lanes on the M25....it would reduce stress levels of commuters no end and aid the environment significantly.
Try 6(SIX) Junctions 12-15 have been 6 lanes for quite a number of years now. Widening is going on all around the M25. ;)

Astute

Where did he say 6 lanes?

Stop twisting his words.

Twisting words is your job.

He moaned about not making motorways wider than 3 lanes 35 years ago. So if that was a valid moan what would the use be of widening them to what is needed now when it wouldn't be big enough in another 35 years?

Grendel

Twisting words is your job.

He moaned about not making motorways wider than 3 lanes 35 years ago. So if that was a valid moan what would the use be of widening them to what is needed now when it wouldn't be big enough in another 35 years?

It would. Motor industry forecasting and current trends show the numbers are now not likely to increase significantly above current levels.

Smaller lightweight plug in cars are more likely to be in operation by then.

He actually made a very sensible point about future planning and construction.

Astute

It would. Motor industry forecasting and current trends show the numbers are now not likely to increase significantly above current levels.

So we have record new car sales, cars are much more reliable than before and the population is growing. And on top of that you say cars are going to get smaller. So won't more be needed? And it doesn't matter if they plug in or not. They still need room on the road, but the most room is needed for the space in between.

And the point that he made was for past planning on the roads.

ccfc1234

So we have record new car sales, cars are much more reliable than before and the population is growing. And on top of that you say cars are going to get smaller. So won't more be needed? And it doesn't matter if they plug in or not. They still need room on the road, but the most room is needed for the space in between.

And the point that he made was for past planning on the roads.

astute by name and not by nature it would seem :sarcasm: my comment was about the lack of foresight shown by town planners in the 80's at the height of the car boom when personal car ownership was becoming a real possibility for every person and not just one per household. Right in that moment with eye watering sales forecasts being posted from car manufacturers, we should have been more forward thinking in terms of our infrastructure.

As for future demand I have to agree with others it would be a misguided assumption car levels are going to spike again or like they did previously. However I can't deny if the population does continue to rise unabated it could get worse therefore I would where space allows make all planned 1 lane extensions into 2 lanes. Worst case scenario it gives us all more space, resulting in less accidents, faster journey times and a less stressed out commuter population.
In addition as the teams would be on site anyway the cost to add 2 not 1 lane would be far less than double as it would be if they had to return in a decades time.

Last edited:

Astute

The 80's were not the height of the boom though. It was when the roads were going from nearly empty. As I said earlier there are record sales now. And cars last longer. In many areas the only difference is that the traffic jams are bigger and longer. We now get more on motorways for no reason but too much traffic. All it takes is one person to put their brakes on then everyone else follows. And it will get worse.

percy

is the station for people to get off to go the ricoh or for people to get on to get to the new ground

Otis

Err, what about driver-less cars?

Not sure when they are predicting them coming in, but if we get driver-less cars then that will mean everyone will be able to have a car, whether they can drive or not.

That's going to increase all traffic tenfold plus surely.

Noggin

Err, what about driver-less cars?

Not sure when they are predicting them coming in, but if we get driver-less cars then that will mean everyone will be able to have a car, whether they can drive or not.

That's going to increase all traffic tenfold plus surely.

Noggin

It's certainly possible that driverless cars opening up driving to people incapable of it for whatever reason increases traffic however I think the increase from that would be realativly small. I would think the vast majority of those people who want to drive and can afford to drive are able to drive.

While no one can predict what driverless cars will mean the scenario I favour would vastly reduce the number of cars on the road and reduce car ownership to a tiny percent of people. The scenario I think most likely (though a long way off) is people don't own their own cars and nearly all cars are driverless taxis. You order your taxi with a click on your smart watch and within a minute one arrives for you, you get in and it takes you right to your destination while you can work, sleep, watch tv whatever in the back, people will have taxi subscriptions and there would be different luxury levels etc. I think leaving the house in the morning and being able to watch the news and check your e-mail while drinking a coffee on the way to work is far superior to normal commuting, when you leave work it has a coffee waiting for you and you can continue the netflix show you were half way through watching at home last night when your friends popped around. I know that some people like driving and I'd expect more racetracks etc to spring up where you can do the fun bit of driving, it wouldn't surprise me if driving yourself was eventually outlawed on the roads once we see just how much safer driveless cars are and just how much they can reduce traffic, increase speeds etc.

Edit- not sure why the quote appeared on one post and my reply on another one, weird.

Otis

It's certainly possible that driverless cars opening up driving to people incapable of it for whatever reason increases traffic however I think the increase from that would be realativly small. I would think the vast majority of those people who want to drive and can afford to drive are able to drive.

While no one can predict what driverless cars will mean the scenario I favour would vastly reduce the number of cars on the road and reduce car ownership to a tiny percent of people. The scenario I think most likely (though a long way off) is people don't own their own cars and nearly all cars are driverless taxis. You order your taxi with a click on your smart watch and within a minute one arrives for you, you get in and it takes you right to your destination while you can work, sleep, watch tv whatever in the back, people will have taxi subscriptions and there would be different luxury levels etc. I think leaving the house in the morning and being able to watch the news and check your e-mail while drinking a coffee on the way to work is far superior to normal commuting, when you leave work it has a coffee waiting for you and you can continue the netflix show you were half way through watching at home last night when your friends popped around. I know that some people like driving and I'd expect more racetracks etc to spring up where you can do the fun bit of driving, it wouldn't surprise me if driving yourself was eventually outlawed on the roads once we see just how much safer driveless cars are and just how much they can reduce traffic, increase speeds etc.

Edit- not sure why the quote appeared on one post and my reply on another one, weird.

Depends how quickly they would be brought in. As it stands at the moment, there is a whole generation that cannot and do not drive. People like my parents, who are in their 80's. There is no way they could have ever afforded a car in their day.

You also have to look at the masses and masses of people who use the buses. I dare say if they could have a driver-less car whereby it meant they could simply be the passenger, many would take that in an instance.

Last edited:

Grendel

Depends how quickly they would be brought in. As it stands at the moment, there is a whole generation that cannot and do not drive. People like my parents, who are in their 80's. There is no way they could have ever afforded a car in their day.

You also have to look at the masses and masses of people who use the buses. I dare say if they could have a driver-less car whereby it meant they could simply be the passenger, many would take that in an instance.

Driverless cars should they happen are projected at being less than 1% of the total market

Noggin

Driverless cars should they happen are projected at being less than 1% of the total market

By when? that sounds like wishful thinking from backward car companies to me, thats the sort of thinking that means the companies will get destroyed by the likes of Tesla. It's going to take quite some time before cars are capable of being truly driverless and for the laws to catch up but then the world will change pretty quickly imo. Other than for the pleasure of driving (and lets be honest the majority of driving isn't pleasurable) there will eventually be no upside to human drivers and plenty of downsides.

Noggin

I agree there is alot of people who would love a driveless car due to the fact they can't drive, I just think it's still a very small percentage of people when compared to the active drivers.

I don't suspect the generation you are talking about will be especially keen to trust driverless cars, let alone spend 20k of there kids inheritance on one, what percentage of those 80+ even use the internet?

I'd have thought the majority of bus users are nothing to do with being incapable of driving and much more about finance. driverless cars would be attractive to those who use public transport to avoid stressful driving like in london or because there is no where to park (bigger issue in america than here) but driveless taxis would likely take these people.

torchomatic

I don't think the train will be running on Saturday afternoons so we should be ok. ;)

Not sure I'd agree, not if you want a large number of people travelling by train as it doesn't look like a facility that could cope. The platform looks pretty small not to mention narrow and from the pictures there doesn't appear to be a holding area. What happens if we happen to get a big cup tie and a sold out ground and a decent percentage intend to travel by train?

Grendel

By when? that sounds like wishful thinking from backward car companies to me, thats the sort of thinking that means the companies will get destroyed by the likes of Tesla. It's going to take quite some time before cars are capable of being truly driverless and for the laws to catch up but then the world will change pretty quickly imo. Other than for the pleasure of driving (and lets be honest the majority of driving isn't pleasurable) there will eventually be no upside to human drivers and plenty of downsides.

Sorry I meant 10% and incrementally

The thought of Teala destroying anyone did amuse me though. Branding will always win through.

There are several issues to consider;

- technology cost and consumer cost
- the desire of major markets (not UK) to engage in the concept
- if the technology will limit the driving experience
- insurance differentials (already concerns being expressed)

Remember also even if some of the wildly optimistic forecasts are to be believed the car parc will still be massively non automated therefore having implications for manufacturers on RV management and network profitability so will be managed carefully.

I disagree regarding driving. Many enjoy it and will continue to do so.

Skyblueweeman

Depends on how much really. I used to.

Then a new role at work now sees me cover 500-1,000 miles per week. The time I'm stuck in queues f*&king winds me right up. Even when I have some top tunes playing through the Bluetooth thingy!

Grendel

Depends on how much really. I used to.

Then a new role at work now sees me cover 500-1,000 miles per week. The time I'm stuck in queues f*&king winds me right up. Even when I have some top tunes playing through the Bluetooth thingy!

Maybe but even some attempts at automation are not very popular ACC being a prime example. Also, convenience tools such as voice activation are often ignored.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I think driverless cars, in real terms of mass take up, are many many years away....

Think how many times your latest top-notch technology freezes, glitches, shuts down or even gives you the trusty old BSOD....

If it happens just once in a driverless car, then it could kill several people....

Until they can prove 100% reliability....the potential for expensive & damaging litigation will always outweigh the manufacturers desire to push the product to market.....

I'd be surprised if they were anything other than a novelty for at least the next 15 years....

Skyblueweeman

Maybe but even some attempts at automation are not very popular ACC being a prime example. Also, convenience tools such as voice activation are often ignored.

ACC....Assisted Cruise Control? If so, I love it. Don't have it in the current company motor but did have it in the last one. Particularly loved it on journeys from the South Coast to Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle etc or going through those bloody average 50 mph stretches such as the ones on the M1 and A1 at the minute.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Automatic Climate Control? Automatic cornering correction? Assisted clutch control? As you can see, I could make dumb guesses all day......whats ACC please Grendel?

Otis

I think driverless cars, in real terms of mass take up, are many many years away....

Think how many times your latest top-notch technology freezes, glitches, shuts down or even gives you the trusty old BSOD....

If it happens just once in a driverless car, then it could kill several people....

Until they can prove 100% reliability....the potential for expensive & damaging litigation will always outweigh the manufacturers desire to push the product to market.....

I'd be surprised if they were anything other than a novelty for at least the next 15 years....

If it's going to kill lots of people, I say we test it out on the elderly first. Trial run.

Noggin

Sorry I meant 10% and incrementally

The thought of Teala destroying anyone did amuse me though. Branding will always win through.

There are several issues to consider;

- technology cost and consumer cost
- the desire of major markets (not UK) to engage in the concept
- if the technology will limit the driving experience
- insurance differentials (already concerns being expressed)

Remember also even if some of the wildly optimistic forecasts are to be believed the car parc will still be massively non automated therefore having implications for manufacturers on RV management and network profitability so will be managed carefully.

Tesla haven't spent a penny on advertising, the believe they should spent the money on research and producing the best product and then word of mouth will take care of it (and so far it has, can they keep that up though when they release a more mainstream model, I don't know), I don't mean Tesla alone would destroy major manufacturers, I mean Tesla and other car manufacturers who are open to this technology for the future (like bmw) will destroy those who think it's a fad and only a small percentage of cars will ever be driverless. We've already seen major manufacturers with their bribes (lobbying) trying to stop Tesla in the US and maintain their status quo.

You are right of course that the Tesla brand is very strong but for the most part the fans of Tesla are really fans of Elon Musk and believe that he really could change humanity with spacex, his solar and battery tech and with tesla, not to mention things like the hyperloop.

I agree that there are massive issues to overcome before large take up of this sort of tech, but they will be overcome. We'll end up with a situation that is much much safer, much better for the environment, convenient and easy to use, better in everyway other than the loss of pleasure some people get from driving and that will need to be fulfilled in a different way.

Users who are viewing this thread