Nice article in the Independent (2 Viewers)

Grendel

By the standards we've come to expect from our owners. Yes. For the standards of this division. No.

So you think Mowbray is a league one manager. Lol.

Grendel

He is at the moment. Hopefully next season he'll be a championship manager and we'll be a championship club.

But you said by his standards of managerial capability he is of league one standard.

I'm sure I am in the minority but I disagree.

skybluetony176

But you said by his standards of managerial capability he is of league one standard.

I'm sure I am in the minority but I disagree.

He's a manager who was unemployed after losing his job in just one division above us. It was almost inevitable that he could/would drop a division to restart his managerial career. There's no shame in that and he certainly wasn't the first good manager to have to do this and he certainly won't be the last. I'm not surprised he joined a first division club and neither should anyone else be. What I'm surprised by is that it was us. He was clearly the best available man for the job and striving to sign the best available man is the least our owners should have done.

H

Huckerby

He's a manager who was unemployed after losing his job in just one division above us. It was almost inevitable that he could/would drop a division to restart his managerial career. There's no shame in that and he certainly wasn't the first good manager to have to do this and he certainly won't be the last. I'm not surprised he joined a first division club and neither should anyone else be. What I'm surprised by is that it was us. He was clearly the best available man for the job and striving to sign the best available man is the least our owners should have done.

You're embarrasing yourself

Grendel

By being realistic in what I expect as a minimum from our owners and recognising that managers after losing their jobs often step down a division to rebuild their careers?

So if Wenger was sacked you'd expect he'd pitch up at Rotherham the next season?

Nick

Administrator
So if Wenger was sacked you'd expect he'd pitch up at Rotherham the next season?
Standard, and their fans couldn't think it was a good catch either, just standard

I'm going to stop cheering goals, it's a bloke doing his job after all

H

Huckerby

Standard, and their fans couldn't think it was a good catch either, just standard

I'm going to stop cheering goals, it's a bloke doing his job after all
Not even standard - the bare minimum you should expect

Grendel

Not even standard - the bare minimum you should expect

And the other 23 clubs would bombard the fans forums with outrage from the owners at not recruiting the best they could.

Next season: Mourinhio sacked at Chelsea and seems a bit out of place in Preston.

skybluetony176

No. Why would I expect that? He's a long established top of the premier league manager with one of the best credentials in the game. He'd pick up another top job no problem.

Grendel

No. Why would I expect that? He's a long established top of the premier league manager with one of the best credentials in the game. He'd pick up another top job no problem.

Yet Rotherham would think Mowbray is not good enough. A league one manager whose a failure at championship level

skybluetony176

Yet Rotherham would think Mowbray is not good enough. A league one manager whose a failure at championship level

Losing your job in the championship is not the same as failing in the championship so don't try and put words in my mouth. You may think you're making me look stupid but the reality is the exact opposite.

Is Tony Mowbray the first good manager in the world to lose his job and step down a division to rebuild their career? Yes or No?

Will Tony Mowbray be the last good manager in the world to lose his job and step down a division to rebuild his career? Yes or no?

Irish Sky Blue

Losing your job in the championship is not the same as failing in the championship so don't try and put words in my mouth. You may think you're making me look stupid but the reality is the exact opposite.

Is Tony Mowbray the first good manager in the world to lose his job and step down a division to rebuild their career? Yes or No?

Will Tony Mowbray be the last good manager in the world to lose his job and step down a division to rebuild his career? Yes or no?

When Clough was sacked by Leeds his next job was at bottom of the second division Nottingham Forest.

Irish Sky Blue

At the time the council did not want to sell. From a buyers perspective there was nothing attractive.

A 22,000 break even figure with at best a competitive wage bill.

The 22,000 crowds we were attracting were at huge subsidies. Only an average of £10 a ticket. At that turnover we needed 44,000 to break even.

The only club (bar one) that had no revenue access, no naming right income (which was always the big one as it equates to rent free) and at best a hope of purchasing half share of a company that we now know was 3 times over valued.

We wouldn't have been touched with a barge pole.

I know from your posts that you have been watching football for as long as me. You know. That football is often an emotion lead business where financial logic goes out of the window. Was there any financial logic in Jack Walker bankrolling Blackburn or Jack Haywood at Wolves? Their love for their hometown and for their club was the primary driver in their take overs, not profit. Now I am not saying we have someone like that waiting in the wings, if we have they are keeping pretty quiet. However, if we were right on the brink of oblivion I still think there would have been someone out there who would have stepped in. You've watched football for a long time. Can you think of any club who are any where near our stature who have folded? I think we will have to agree to disagree! Do you not think Sisu have been a disaster?

Grendel

When Clough was sacked by Leeds his next job was at bottom of the second division Nottingham Forest.

His job after winning the league at Derby was a third division Brighton so it's a pointless example.

Irish Sky Blue

I know from your posts that you have been watching football for as long as me. You know that football is often an emotion lead business where financial logic goes out of the window. Was there any financial logic in Jack Walker bankrolling Blackburn or Jack Haywood at Wolves? Their love for their hometown and for their club was the primary driver in their take overs, not profit. Now I am not saying we have someone like that waiting in the wings, if we have they are keeping pretty quiet. However, if we were right on the brink of oblivion I still think there would have been someone out there who would have stepped in. You've watched football for a long time. Can you think of any club who are any where near our stature who have folded? I think we will have to agree to disagree! Do you not think Sisu have been a disaster?

Grendel

Irish Sky Blue

His job after winning the league at Derby was a third division Brighton so it's a pointless example.
After Leeds though he had two failures on his CV, Brighton and Leeds. Not sure that clubs were clamouring to employ him. He almost needed to prove himself again at Forest which he did. Hopefully Mowbray will do the same.

skybluetony176

Ok I clearly made it up^

Doesn't mean I don't think he's not one of the top three managers in the division. Which is what you were suggesting I was saying.

There's been lots of good manager's in this league Mowbray is not exclusive in that.

Last edited:

stupot07

Doesn't mean I don't think he's not one of the top three managers in the division. Which is what you were suggesting I was saying.

Hang on. You don't think he's a good standard manager for the league, but you do think he's in the top 3 managers in the league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Grendel

Exactly this ^

Well no as he left Derby as league title winners and joined a Division 3 club.

Life raft swiftly removed - Tony paddling in the deep end again.

Grendel

Hang on. You don't think he's a good standard manager for the league, but you do think he's in the top 3 managers in the league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Equivalent of West Brom getting mourhinio then - I think they'd think their owners have done a good job. Not Tony - just standard business practice.

SkyBlue_Bear83

There's been lots of good manager's in this league Mowbray is not exclusive in that.
You don't make sense, you think he's not a good recruitment for this division yet when challenged on it you do actually think he is a good recruitment for this division.

skybluetony176

The original question suggested that TM is in some sort of elite club to this league which isn't true. There are plenty of good managers in this league, plenty who have passed through on their way up and plenty who have successfully re-started their career in this league. To suggest that there are no good managers in this league is a nonsense. I'm sure some might prove to be his equal over the course of a season, one or two might prove to be more than equal. Just because I can understand and acknowledge why he's in this league doesn't mean I can't be of the opinion that he's one of the top managers in the league.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

The original question suggested that TM is in some sort of elite club to this league which isn't true. There are plenty of good managers in this league, plenty who have passed through on their way up and plenty who have successfully re-started their career in this league. To suggest that there are no good managers in this league being is a nonsense. I'm sure some might prove to be his equal over the course of a season, one or two might prove to be more than equal. Just because I can understand and acknowledge why he's in this league doesn't mean I can't be of the opinion that he's one of the top managers in the league.

You were asked if you thought he was a good recruitment for this league, not if is an elite club or beyond a league one club. And in your opinion you said no he wasn't a good recruitment for this division. Now you are trying to backtrack

Users who are viewing this thread