New stadium (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Wasps may not be around in 12 months or in a much weaker position financially. The council do not want CCFC anywhere else but the Ricoh because they may end up with a stadium and no sports team. SISU waits and watches what happens. If they didn't get favourable terms now then in 12 months it could all be different.

I agree.
Even if sisu sell up to Hoffman and co they won't even be thinking about another stadium. If we're going to play in Coventry then in my opinion it will only be at the Ricoh.

The Philosopher

I think that a hedge fund (SISU) is more likely to invest in a tangible asset (stadium) with almost guaranteed revenue streams (rent, naming rights, concessions) than players.

If they can get some grant relief, R&D relief, enable multi-sports, etc. Then they can put it on their balance sheet at a higher rate than cost.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
They have to be at risk if the debts are £55m and going up. Income is going down due to CCFC leaving and no European Rugby plus the bond issue and investigation by FCA. Star players leaving, likely to be a weaker team next year and no world class training ground is not how they would have seen it pan out.

It's crazy for both sides because to me the Ricoh doesn't feel like home and surely the same applies to Wasps because apart from the couple of crests it looks like somebody else's ground.

Didnt Wasps just receive 14m from the sale of shares in the Premiership. That will show as a profit in their financial figures

Losing star players means lower wages and no international call ups but could well affect performance. Are they not in a lesser European competition like Worcester this season were?

What is the latest on their training ground? The build could be financed by grants from Sport England etc especially as it is supposedly tied in with a community project

Actually from 30/06/2018 to 31/12/2018 loans went down £470k

ccfcway

Shame we can't get Wasps to move to the Alexander stadium and have the Ricoh back.

more chance of BFC moving to it FOC as a gift from the council, selling St Andrews to SISU at a knockdown price and us being renamed Warwickshire Sky Blues.

Ironically, for Wasps, they would have an even bigger catchment area moving to Birmingham

theferret

Wrong. There would be no way a stadium could be accommodated around the University due to the HS2 route and the massive housing estate that is being built near there. Traffic would be an absolute nightmare. It already doesn't possess the infrastructure to deal with the traffic that will accumulate from upcoming plans, let alone accommodate further traffic from X thousand fans coming to the area.

Well, we'll agree to disagree then. People often overestimate the traffic impact. The Kassam Stadium is connected by a single road in and out which is single lane in places (which I am not saying is in any way ideal). Of course there would need to be a travel plan and it would have to be thorough, but it is doable. That area already handles a lot of traffic, many thousands of vehicles every day. I am familiar with it because my wife recently did her teacher training there so I would drop her off and pick her up, often during peak hours. It was a pain, but not horrendous, and its not as though football traffic would be on top of that, because the timings would be completely different.

There is no potential location for a football stadium that is without issues. There are always solutions though, albeit potentially costly ones, so I am not saying this will ever happen at all and it may need a link road or the Very Light Rail link before it is properly feasible. That said, given the city's tight borders and the lack of available development land, it's as good an option as any, especially when you factor in a potential commercial partnership with the Uni. Note - we're all thinking out loud here and nobody is saying it will happen anytime soon if at all.

fernandopartridge

Didnt Wasps just receive 14m from the sale of shares in the Premiership. That will show as a profit in their financial figures

Losing star players means lower wages and no international call ups but could well affect performance. Are they not in a lesser European competition like Worcester this season were?

What is the latest on their training ground? The build could be financed by grants from Sport England etc especially as it is supposedly tied in with a community project

Is the £14m paid in a one off lump?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I seem to remember the Warwick Uni area gets very wet and some of the roads are prone to flooding. Not great for a football pitch. I was thinking somewhere near the A45 Allesley Roundabout maybe.

I think we may see the redevelopment of a number of the retail and business parks in the coming years (some apparently have very low occupancy) and while I'd expect most to go to housing or student accommodation maybe one would end up available.

Long term I'd still hope the Ricoh would be viable but there's going to have to be a change in ownership of one of the protaganists for that to even begin to happen and on the whole I think top of that list has to be SISU.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Yes they will be in the European Challenge Cup next season.
No news on the training ground. There has been no planning application made for Old Leamingtonians' ground which was where they said they were going to build it.

Hugh Jarse

Let’s bide our time at BCFC’s ground, watch Wasps implode and then wait for them to beg us to come back to the Ricoh.

End of!!

djr8369

Wonder if anyone connected to the club will comment on this thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

I would love to hear a transcript of the whole conversation where Robins was given assurances on the new ground.

I really can't see it happening. I wonder if he's givenntjem a timeframe.

robbiekeane

I would love to believe that we will have a new stadium but I think it's the location that kills it. There isn't a decent, viable site in the City. Let's be honest the Ricoh is a bit of a shit location to get to for most people and I can't see us getting anywhere more central.

The worst thing is, the Ricoh has never really felt like home and in a weird way it's been tainted even further now. Would love a 15k stadium with room to expand to 25k. Would be great to have it nearly full every week.

Magwitch

There is you know, Hearsall Common and before people jump up and down shouting it’s Common Land, which it is but common land can be sold usually owned by councils. If you look at Hearsall it ticks so many boxes no housing that near, station up the road, fairly central for walk up could fit in a Highfield Road look alike stadium easily.
But I’m realistic and know ccc would never allow it but then if they did I can’t see sisu going for it either.

Last edited:

Otis

Yeah, I have looked at Hearsall Common and thought it would be perfect.

Shame they would never allow it.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

For me, the only viable option is somewhere around Warwick University. Perhaps in partnership with the university itself in some way. The benefits being that it would be just outside the city boundary, and crucially because the Uni and the business parks around it handle thousands of car users every day, you could argue that the road infrastructure might be sufficient with a little tweaking and a decent travel plan. On top of that, the first stage of the proposed VLR scheme (if it happens) is likely to run from Coventry Station to WU. The issue is SISU of course, and whether they have the stomach or funds to deliver it, let alone the goodwill required.
This is the best option, imop, plus loads of students attending games, right next to the university campuse.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
The best site is Hearsall Common, no housing that near, station up the road, good bus services and walkable from city centre and before people start jumping up and down about it being common land common land can be sold, it will most probably be owned by CCC. Traffic infrastructure not the best but where is ? certainly not the Ricoh
But having said all that I know it would never happen, needs will, CCC hiding behind the common land factory, sisu

There is you know, Hearsall Common and before people jump up and down shouting it’s Common Land, which it is but common land can be sold usually owned by councils. If you look at Hearsall it ticks so many boxes no housing that near, station up the road, fairly central for walk up could fit in a Highfield Road look alike stadium easily.
But I’m realistic and know ccc would never allow it but then if they did I can’t see sisu going for it either.
You're not that great at the internet are you!

win9nut

SISU could secure the funds and build a stadium somewhere, but I worry about who will own it.
Last thing CCFC needs is another shady landlord.
I don't think it really matters who owns the stadium, until such a time as SISU come to sell the club.
If they try to sell the stadium separately to the club, only a madman would go ahead with that! Especially given the history!
In the meantime, if it ever happened, it wouldn't matter so long as the club get to recognise the revenues

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Is the £14m paid in a one off lump?
The £14 is for development only and cannot be use to meet debt or financial commitments.

Doesnt matter in terms of the 2019 accounts. They have made a disposal of some of their Premiership shares at a substantial gain. That gain will have to be recognised based on the date of disposal as a positive in the Comprehensive Income Statement and as a positive increase in the Balance sheet. Am guessing a positive of around £11m or £12m. Should know in October

thekidfromstrettoncamp

So grateful for your financial input once again oldskyblue58. In your opinion is there any chance of our owners ever building a stadium just that I can't and that is a real worry to me as too many bridges have been burnt as the saying goes , even IF they did build to recover their expenses (which they would) these would probably be a lot more than what we have been paying Wasps.

letsallsingtogether

What about the 50 or so houses whose back gardens back onto the Common do they not count?
Would be a great place though drink in Earlsdon then walk up, or go to the Clarence/ Port of Call, be a good home pub quite big as well.

Magwitch

What about the 50 or so houses whose back gardens back onto the Common do they not count?
Would be a great place though drink in Earlsdon then walk up, or go to the Clarence/ Port of Call, be a good home pub quite big as well.
Yes there are a few but I was thinking more the bottom end where the fair and circuses go don’t think there’s houses that far down it’s allotments, I’m not sure either if that bottom end is common land or not.

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Yes there are a few but I was thinking more the bottom end where the fair and circuses go don’t think there’s houses that far down it’s allotments,
Surely you would want all of the site parking etc

Ashdown

SISU the London hedge fund are going to build a stadium in Coventry ......oh my , oh my.. FFS ! ....and for CCFC to benefit from..,.,LOL !!

Magwitch

Surely you would want all of the site parking etc
No chance of that even if building a ground there was to be allowed. It just shows how difficult it will be to find a suitable site within the city boundary and begs the question how do we get back to playing in Coventry unless it’s the Ricoh, to be honest I fear the worse.

Last edited:

Otis

To my mind it is Ricoh or bust.

The notion of a new stadium is laughable under Sisu I feel, and MR has obviously asked the question and got the answer he needed, but that doesn't mean any credence should be taken from what they have said to him. That doesn't make Robins a fool either. They have given him assurances, but at the end of the day it's just words and talk is cheap.

Does anyone on here trust Sisu? Trust them to build a new stadium?

I think this where a new set of games begin, because Sisu will say they are looking and identifying and the council will say they are not aware of any interest or application.

Sisu will blame the council and the council will blame Sisu. Sisu could well also nominate locations which are totally unpractical on just about every level, but then of course it could be seen that they are actually doing something.

I am expecting another battle of words and more artists' impressions, but little else.

Our best hope is Wasps failing.

Magwitch

To my mind it is Ricoh or bust.

The notion of a new stadium is laughable under Sisu I feel, and MR has obviously asked the question and got the answer he needed, but that doesn't mean any credence should be taken from what they have said to him. That doesn't make Robins a fool either. They have given him assurances, but at the end of the day it's just words and talk is cheap.

Does anyone on here trust Sisu? Trust them to build a new stadium?

I think this where a new set of games begin, because Sisu will say they are looking and identifying and the council will say they are not aware of any interest or application.

Sisu will blame the council and the council will blame Sisu. Sisu could well also nominate locations which are totally unpractical on just about every level, but then of course it could be seen that they are actually doing something.

I am expecting another battle of words and more artists' impressions, but little else.

Our best hope is Wasps failing.
I absolutely agree Otis on what sisu will do re the Hearsall idea I’d love our ccc to indicate to sisu that’s a possibility and see what their answer is, imo would almost certainly be a negative.

Mcbean

Ryton would work for traffic and could be used for other things - could also have a train link

Users who are viewing this thread