New stadium (1 Viewer)

djr8369

In recent days it seems everyone attached to the club is really pushing the idea of a new stadium. There’s nothing I’d like more than to see a new stadium built but it seems highly improbable. To my mind there are 3 possibilities;

1) The idea of a new stadium is genuine and will now be pursued with haste. There are still the issues with obtaining the land, planning permission and the councils role with these issues plus the high costs involved. My preferred option but seems unlikely.

2) The stadium talk is a strategy designed to panic wasps into offering a better deal while pushing blame to the council for not proactively helping. Not great but more likely.

3) The most cynical option - it’s just to give fans hope. Some combination of 2 and 3 are quite possible.

What are people’s thoughts? How realistic is it that a stadium could be built? What assurances would SISU have to give the EFL regarding developing a stadium?

MRs comment was “I asked a direct question of the owner if they were capable and willing to develop and finance the clubs own stadium and I received a direct and positive answer, which I can support and work towards.” Does that mean they just said, “yes, we could do that” or there is a plan in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTG

No, thank u next

Waiittt an actual decent post. God idk

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

A new stadium being built is realistic in that there's almost certainly a suitable site for it somewhere in the city. However I'd be sceptical that it would sustainable in a city this size (given the competition from the Ricoh for those non-football events). Given the previous lack of success in this area I don't expect it to happen, more likely is Wasps going bust or new ownership at the club and a rent deal at the Ricoh.

I also found Robins' language a bit evasive, probably because Seppala put some caveats on the response (as you might reasonably expect, there's a lot outside of her control when it comes to building a stadium here).

djr8369

A new stadium being built is realistic in that there's almost certainly a suitable site for it somewhere in the city. However I'd be sceptical that it would sustainable in a city this size (given the competition from the Ricoh for those non-football events). Given the previous lack of success in this area I don't expect it to happen, more likely is Wasps going bust or new ownership at the club and a rent deal at the Ricoh.

I also found Robins' language a bit evasive, probably because Seppala put some caveats on the response (as you might reasonably expect, there's a lot outside of her control when it comes to building a stadium here).

I agree with you regarding his language. Quite specific without being specific about the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodders1

1 I would absolutely love a new stadium - closer to the city centre if possible - but Cov council will never agree to It. Competition with the Ricoh (for other events etc) will mean they don’t want another venue in the city. They don’t want a big empty stadium years down the line also (if wasps go under). It would have to be outside the city boundaries to avoid involvement with the council as they seem to hate us.

2 SISU will never fund another stadium. Any mention that they will is bluff / bollocks. (But I hope I’m wrong)

3 Like it or not, it’s either we work together with Wasps or we’re bust unfortunately. (Let’s hops Wasps go under first!).

Otis

1 I would absolutely love a new stadium - closer to the city centre if possible - but Cov council will never agree to It. Competition with the Ricoh (for other events etc) will mean they don’t want another venue in the city. They don’t want a big empty stadium years down the line also (if wasps go under). It would have to be outside the city boundaries to avoid involvement with the council as they seem to hate us.

2 SISU will never fund another stadium. Any mention that they will is bluff / bollocks. (But I hope I’m wrong)

3 Like it or not, it’s either we work together with Wasps or we’re bust unfortunately. (Let’s hops Wasps go under first!).
Yup, the only two realistic options. We work with Wasps or hope they go bust.

Gazolba

CCFC won't own a new stadium unless they pay for it.
Most likely a bank or some finance company would own it.

Frank Sidebottom

What's going on with Brandon these days? I think I read something recently about that being given protected status as a sports ground. I can see us playing there with the speedway team with temporary/permanent stands for a few years similar to Brighton at the Withdean until the Ricoh becomes available.

Sky Blue Harry H

Much as I'd love it to happen.... SISU will want lots of CCC support re infrastructure, CCC won't want Stadium number 2, should something happen to the pests, and finally Wasps need our income. A near perfect storm to hinder the process.

skyblue1991

Think I read somewhere on his forum a couple of months ago:

1. Didn't SISU apply for the old Massey Ferguson site and CCC rejected their application?
2. What rationale do CCC have rejecting an application from SISU? I think I read somewhere that CCC don't have grounds to reject any business wanting to use an old brownfields site for their requirements?

May be all smoke and mirrors but if SISU say they want to build a new stadium, now is the time to act and really put their money where their mouth is! I don't believe for a second it will happen and convinced we will be back a the Ricoh in the next 2 years (with or without Wasps at the helm!)

kg82

Can people stop with the new stadium talk, it's not going to happen.

So that means just stop? They’ve talked about it, so surely it’s worth discussing whether you believe it’s going to happen or not.

Sbarcher

If it ever happens, it would belong to SISU not CCFC. It would be a cash cow for them although it would give us a stable future. It would make us more attractive to sell so think it would be positive in the long term.

SBAndy

1. Didn't SISU apply for the old Massey Ferguson site and CCC rejected their application?
2. What rationale do CCC have rejecting an application from SISU? I think I read somewhere that CCC don't have grounds to reject any business wanting to use an old brownfields site for their requirements?

May be all smoke and mirrors but if SISU say they want to build a new stadium, now is the time to act and really put their money where their mouth is! I don't believe for a second it will happen and convinced we will be back a the Ricoh in the next 2 years (with or without Wasps at the helm!)

They may not have grounds to block permissions (though there will certainly be ways of delaying proceedings) but as owner of the site they can play hard-ball over sale. This was highlighted by SISU in the statement released at end of April(ish) but was not addressed by the council.

Nick

Administrator
They may not have grounds to block permissions (though there will certainly be ways of delaying proceedings) but as owner of the site they can play hard-ball over sale. This was highlighted by SISU in the statement released at end of April(ish) but was not addressed by the council.
No, duggins just kept going on about planning rather than sale

SBAndy

If it ever happens, it would belong to SISU not CCFC. It would be a cash cow for them although it would give us a stable future. It would make us more attractive to sell so think it would be positive in the long term.

It would likely belong to Otium Holdings Ltd which would then likely be grouped with the football club. Again, unlikely to generate “cash cow” interest on the part of SISU, they’d sooner sell it in a package with the club and get out in my opinion.

Otis

The worst thing with this rearing its head time and again is SISU's involvement discredits the concept of a new stadium, which absolutely must be on the table as an option if and when we get a responsible owner.
You said it. Responsible owner.

OffenhamSkyBlue

There is a thing called the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), which was revised last year and sets out the overall picture for planning in England. While there is a relaxation of some of the conditions for building on brownfield sites, compared with building in the Green Belt, for example, you can't just slap up a football stadium anywhere you want. Depending on where it is, there could be hugely restrictive conditions placed on an approval, which could make it financially unviable, such as the requirement for connections and upgrades to the existing road network to be paid for by the developer, etc.
There are many ways that planners could give SISU a rough ride, but that COULD be taken out of CCC's hands if it was "called-in" by the Planning Inspectorate who would then control the process based much more closely on strict adherence to national and local planning policy.

duffer

I'd love us to build a new stadium and get out from under Wasps. The evidence so far is hugely against it though; we've had a lot of time to get things moving, but there's never been any genuine sign of progress.

I can't see where SISU suddenly find 20-30 million quid from...

theferret

For me, the only viable option is somewhere around Warwick University. Perhaps in partnership with the university itself in some way. The benefits being that it would be just outside the city boundary, and crucially because the Uni and the business parks around it handle thousands of car users every day, you could argue that the road infrastructure might be sufficient with a little tweaking and a decent travel plan. On top of that, the first stage of the proposed VLR scheme (if it happens) is likely to run from Coventry Station to WU. The issue is SISU of course, and whether they have the stomach or funds to deliver it, let alone the goodwill required.

NorthernWisdom

For me, the only viable option is somewhere around Warwick University. Perhaps in partnership with the university itself in some way. The benefits being that it would be just outside the city boundary, and crucially because the Uni and the business parks around it handle thousands of car users every day, you could argue that the road infrastructure might be sufficient with a little tweaking and a decent travel plan. On top of that, the first stage of the proposed VLR scheme (if it happens) is likely to run from Coventry Station to WU. The issue is SISU of course, and whether they have the stomach or funds to deliver it, let alone the goodwill required.
I've said for ages a partnership with Warwick Uni would be great. Shame we don't have the owners to deliver it!

SBAndy

I've said for ages a partnership with Warwick Uni would be great. Shame we don't have the owners to deliver it!

Indeed. What land availability is there around that part of town? Would be nice to put our whole setup there: stadium, training ground, academy. Would be a massive opportunity (and yes I know it won’t happen under SISU’s watch but one can daydream).

Otis

Yes, agree on the university. Would be a fair distance for me, but as a general concept I think it is an excellent idea

stevefloyd

We already have a stadium which was built for us..unfortunately insect squatters have occupied it 100 miles from where they should be!!!!
Roll on the day when they fuck off

JulianDarbyFTW

SISU could secure the funds and build a stadium somewhere, but I worry about who will own it.
Last thing CCFC needs is another shady landlord.

When the club eventually gets sold and Wasps go bust, perhaps we could go on rent strike then move back to the vacant Ricoh.

OffenhamSkyBlue

The University owns about 720 acres, about half of which (i would estimate from maps) is not built on. All of the land in Coventry is developed, and all of the land in Warwick District is designated Green Belt, and much of it farmland. That hasn't stopped the University building new student accommodation, conference facilities and the new Sport Hub on that land. There is still loads of space not including the farmland.
There is to be a new relief road dual carriageway to be built from the A46 at the Stoneleigh exit around to the A45 somewhere near Broad Lane (or even further out - i don't recall), which would pass very close to the University, so a dedicated spur road would be built that could service a new stadium too.

Users who are viewing this thread