New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (9 Viewers)

cc84cov

Think we will be at St Andrews for the foreseeable if were planning on doing this

Ian1779

Well it means the EFL will let us play at a ground for a few more years outside Coventry I guess
This is a key point from this announcement... unless they have a short term deal at Ricoh up their sleeve

djr8369

I can’t help but think owning/part ownership of the RICOH is a pipe dream.

Realistically, the club needs to secure its long term future. We cannot do that if we’re renting a stadium from landlords we’ve been at odds with in and around a decade now.

Two exiles from Coventry, constant legal battles with Wasps/CCC, constant fears over where we’re playing.

Leaving Highfield Road was the worst decision we’ve made in my lifetime. Can any of the older supporters think of a worse decision the club has made?

It’s time to cut ties with the RICOH and move on. Whether by accident or design, the council made the club’s position untenable when 100% of the stadium was sold to Wasps.

The RICOH is probably too big for us (unless we became a Prem team) and certainly too big for Wasps.
Agree with all this. Ricoh just doesn’t seem like a long term solution, except possibly with some form of co-ownership and that only solves half the issues with it.

That said, I won’t get too excited until ground is broken. This is still great news though. It either leads to a new stadium or it places huge pressure on wasps and the council.

Hadji's_Goatee

Was rumoured so foreplay to @WestEndAgro and anyone who dissed him should apologise.

Still not 100% sure they will do it. They basically wanna put more pressure on wasps. But good news . I rarely go to that part of the city so not sure how long it will take to get stadium but the club's issues are bigger than mine!
Logically why would a reputable institution get involved with us if we weren't serious? Talks have been going on since 2014 – releasing the news now suggests a pivotal point has been reached in terms of commitment.

SBT

Have to say I'm surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reaction from everyone on here, although I suppose winning the league buys you a lot of good will!

I would be delighted if we could pull a fast one on the council/Wasps, and build an exciting, modern new stadium on the edge of town that improves on what we've had before. But we've tried to do both those things in the past 15 years and we've failed both times.

What's the closest comparison to a stadium experience like this one? (Someone mentioned Brighton earlier)

AFCCOVENTRY

anyone know other clubs that have their stadium built for 30 million and what they look like and size?

Wimbledon AFC’s new home is designed by The KSS Group, the company behind Brighton’s Amex stadium and the Al Rayyan arena, which will host games at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

When opened it will have a capacity of 9,000 – this can be expanded to 20,000 at an estimated cost of between £25 million and £30 million – largely by filling in the two corners opposite the West Stand.

There will also be retail space, a squash and fitness club, car and cycle parking as well as more than 600 new homes.

The first 114 homes on land opposite the stadium are expected to be completed by 2021.

clint van damme

The Burnt Post would be absolutely rammed on matchdays. And the rich people who live in the Cryfield Heights/Gibbet Hill area won't be too buzzing when Baz from Coundon takes a shit on their Rhodadendrums.

I don't live in Coundon.

Sbarcher

Rightho - lets get St Andrews sorted and STs on sale. I'm ready to buy!

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
this is atletico madrids staduim 30 million euros

hqdefault.jpg

Bumberclart

Bet theres a few CCC councillors squirming this morning, Not to mention a few Wasps investors.
Lets face it, the Ricoh naming rights will be a lot cheaper without a Championship club in residence.

Nick

Administrator
Have to say I'm surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reaction from everyone on here, although I suppose winning the league buys you a lot of good will!

I would be delighted if we could pull a fast one on the council/Wasps, and build an exciting, modern new stadium on the edge of town that improves on what we've had before. But we've tried to do both those things in the past 15 years and we've failed both times.

What's the closest comparison to a stadium experience like this one? (Someone mentioned Brighton earlier)

If it actually happens, why would somebody not feel positive about it?

Winny the Bish

To add a pessimistic note, is this a way to get permission from the EFL to extend our time at St Andrews?
We already have two more years at St Andrews available to us. Wouldn't need an extension yet but potentially could be PR to soften the blow of announcement about next season being in Brum again.

Mucca Mad Boys

Agree with all this. Ricoh just doesn’t seem like a long term solution, except possibly with some form of co-ownership and that only solves half the issues with it.

That said, I won’t get too excited until ground is broken. This is still great news though. It either leads to a new stadium or it places huge pressure on wasps and the council.

Agreed.

This announcement has caused a lot of excitement. As things stand right now, it isn’t really anything substantive, yet. This announcement, if anything, is a statement of intent.

The positive is that the club is at least outlining something resembling a credible plan going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread