New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (5 Viewers)

SBT

Is a stadium on the site plausible? New road already confirmed straight from the A46 so access issues are alleviate to some degree. Sure I remember reading that there’s a proposal in place for a new train station on the Leamington to Coventry branch line to service the UOW so again, will alleviate to some degree travel to a new stadium. In fact the only real reason to dismiss a new stadium out of hand is the simple fact that SISU are involved.

You can’t think of any other reason to doubt that a new stadium for Coventry City with its own railway station might not come to fruition as advertised?

matesx

You can’t think of any other reason to doubt that a new stadium for Coventry City with its own railway station might not come to fruition as advertised?

100 million reasons springs to mind.

chiefdave

Isn't the train thing separate from stadium and happening regardless?
Yep. If, and its obviously a huge if, there is actually going to a be a stadium at the uni that would be genius part of the plan. All the infrastructure needed is going in anyway to service the uni.

There will be two big offsite car parks in the near future, one of which is in the area a stadium would be, new road with a junction for the uni, new train station a few minutes walk away and the CVLR to link the city centre station to the uni.

And that's all on top of the existing structure that gets 30K staff and students in and out on a regular basis.

All of which would go a long way to nullifying any potential objections.

mr_monkey

So you agree it rests on a number of irrelevant things that haven’t even been done yet.

I don't think anyone is debating that, in fact the whole reason why these two statements have been light on details is because of those things that haven't been done

If we hadn't been locked out of the ricoh I doubt we would have even heard anything about the uni stuff yet as it's obviously not ready but they had to release something due to us being unable to be at the Ricoh for a second season in a row

letsallsingtogether

I don't think anyone is debating that, in fact the whole reason why these two statements have been light on details is because of those things that haven't been done

If we hadn't been locked out of the ricoh I doubt we would have even heard anything about the uni stuff yet as it's obviously not ready but they had to release something due to us being unable to be at the Ricoh for a second season in a row
Bit like when we were at Northampton then.
Round and Round we go.....

chiefdave

Looks like the A46 strategic link road won't be finalised until next year as the meeting dates to discuss the options are 17th December and 7th January. Given the Uni have previously said the location of the stadium, and public consultation, will follow confirmation of the exact routing and junction location of the road.

However there is a map which gives an indication. Its will be one of the blue striped areas. The thick dotted line is the rough location of the new road and the purple square is a new train station.

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 22.03.05.png

Bigger map is here

Kneeza

Looks like the A46 strategic link road won't be finalised until next year as the meeting dates to discuss the options are 17th December and 7th January. Given the Uni have previously said the location of the stadium, and public consultation, will follow confirmation of the exact routing and junction location of the road.

However there is a map which gives an indication. Its will be one of the blue striped areas. The thick dotted line is the rough location of the new road and the purple square is a new train station.

View attachment 17590

Bigger map is here
Surely the thick dotted line is HS2? Don't think the road has been defined in any way yet, has it?

chiefdave

Surely the thick dotted line is HS2? Don't think the road has been defined in any way yet, has it?
My mistake, missed the key looking on my phone so went off the blurb that came with it from the local nimbys.

Thought the relief road was proposed to run parallel to HS2 for that section? Bit odd to leave the route for the road off a map inviting people to a meeting about the road! Sure I've seen it on other maps from WDC, they've started work at one end so it must exist!

Last edited:

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

You think they would move that new station interchange along so cov could benefit from HS2 .

I agree with you, but the justification for no station there is number of HS2 stations is low to reduce the time lost in slowing down and speeding up. I fear Coventry is going to turn into a rail backwater (which makes that Friargate development near the railway station seem even more absurd)

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

Yes but isn't it the same knuckle line as the Ricoh, so lack of trains will still be an issue.

It might even be worse as it is likely there will be fewer trains going between Coventry and Leamington than between Coventry and Nuneaton. The development at Coventry railway station is supposed to include a bay platform (a dead end) that will be for trains heading north towards Nuneaton - because it is a dead end they will probably not be using it for trains heading south towards Leamington (trains would have to first head north and then switch tracks before going south). Great public transport planning...

Reactions: KAB

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

My mistake, missed the key looking on my phone so went off the blurb that came with it from the local nimbys.

Thought the relief road was proposed to run parallel to HS2 for that section? Bit odd to leave the route for the road off a map inviting people to a meeting about the road! Sure I've seen it on other maps from WDC, they've started work at one end so it must exist!
The final alignment of the road hasn't be agreed. It is being used to help in the construction of HS2, so by definition it needs to be fairly close to the new rail line.

Earlier in the year there was a WDC led consultation exercise to collect information that might influence the alignment, the original stadium announcement was made during this consultation period.

It is interesting to compare the map you have with the one in the local plan...

chiefdave

is the new LRI on there
Would be sensible to have it in the same place as the train station wouldn't it and have it as an interchange?

Train station is further south on Kenilworth Road than I thought. Wonder if the idea is to have a pedestrian route by HS2 and A46 relief road to stop any complaints from Gibbet Hill Road residents about hundreds of people walking that way.

Magwitch

Would be sensible to have it in the same place as the train station wouldn't it and have it as an interchange?

Train station is further south on Kenilworth Road than I thought. Wonder if the idea is to have a pedestrian route by HS2 and A46 relief road to stop any complaints from Gibbet Hill Road residents about hundreds of people walking that way.
We have a train station at the Ricoh how many fans have you seen using it ?

Grendel

It would be interesting to see how many out of town stadiums have a train station

shmmeee

Difficult when there’s very few bastard trains!

Does that station have a better set up than the Ricoh one do we know? Surely the same safety rules will apply. As we’ve seen at Brum H&S boss are dicks everywhere.

shmmeee

It would as it would show why it’s necessary - which it isn’t

Yeah because railway networks are easy to build and not at all prexisting in most cases.

All it would show is how much spare land various places have found near a railway and then found funding and support for a new station in an era when rail infrastructure is underfunded.

shmmeee

It would be difficult to have a worse one

I know I know LOL everyone hates the Ricoh. But back in reality it wasn’t anything to do with the Ricoh it was to do with the size of trains and the frequency on the line as well as the line operator.

So again, are these things different? I have no idea about trains. I get the impression that line is used more than the Nuneaton one though.

chiefdave

The stations primary purpose is to service the new housing in the area and the university.
Does that station have a better set up than the Ricoh one do we know? Surely the same safety rules will apply. As we’ve seen at Brum H&S boss are dicks everywhere.
Aren't the restrictions at the Ricoh to do with a lack of capacity on trains and therefore concerns about station overcrowding, made worse by the fact its an station with no staff?

Hopefully any station designed to service the university will be able to cope with a larger number of passengers given the staff and student numbers which would have a knock on benefit for any potential stadium.

shmmeee

The stations primary purpose is to service the new housing in the area and the university.

Aren't the restrictions at the Ricoh to do with a lack of capacity on trains and therefore concerns about station overcrowding, made worse by the fact its an station with no staff?

Hopefully any station designed to service the university will be able to cope with a larger number of passengers given the staff and student numbers which would have a knock on benefit for any potential stadium.

It’s partly the size of the carriages being so small because it’s a low capacity line I think.

You’d think they’d design it better, but you’d have thought that with the Ricoh too.

As I say, I get the impression that line is used more by higher capacity trains so hopefully it’s just a matter of building the right station this time.

NorthernWisdom

It’s partly the size of the carriages being so small because it’s a low capacity line I think.

You’d think they’d design it better, but you’d have thought that with the Ricoh too.

As I say, I get the impression that line is used more by higher capacity trains so hopefully it’s just a matter of building the right station this time.
The local Coventry to Leamington train, via Kenilworth, is a one to two carriage affair. In fact, it's the one that goes through Coventry Arena station!

clint van damme

I know I know LOL everyone hates the Ricoh. But back in reality it wasn’t anything to do with the Ricoh it was to do with the size of trains and the frequency on the line as well as the line operator.

So again, are these things different? I have no idea about trains. I get the impression that line is used more than the Nuneaton one though.

it's not really the Ricohs issue it's just a massively shit service.
The mad thing is it's pretty decent pre game but that's no use when you can't get one back afterwards and ended up forking out 15 quid on a taxi - which happened to me twice.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There's probably a much bigger case for this station as it's main function will be to connect the uni. That it could be useful for a stadium is just a bonus towards getting planning permission.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You think they would move that new station interchange along so cov could benefit from HS2 .

I agree, but the argument has always been that in order to gain the time saving further north it has to have few stations in the south. They then say that having the HS2 interchange by the airport and getting a train from Birm Int would be equivalent but misses the point that it's inconvenient having to swap trains and is no quicker than the ordinary WCML service.

I'd be fine with that IF it was just having one stop at the interchange but the fact it's getting a dedicated central Birmingham stop, with the extra cost of creating a spur specifically for it blows that out of the water and shows they're willing to make exceptions if it suits them.

Like you I'd still place the station close enough to provide an argument and enable a connecting service in future if we lobby long enough for it.

I'm still of the opinion that HS2 is there to increase London's airport capacity and will largely be used for carrying passengers from BHX to London and back. One the first section is built I fully expect the next stage to be canned as suddenly they'll decide the business case doesn't add up, even though it hasn't for quite some time and the costs keep escalating.

chiefdave

Would be worth putting this station next to HS2 just to 'future proof' it. When, at some point in the future, they change their mind about extra stations they could have one ready and waiting to service the city.

Seamus1

I agree, but the argument has always been that in order to gain the time saving further north it has to have few stations in the south. They then say that having the HS2 interchange by the airport and getting a train from Birm Int would be equivalent but misses the point that it's inconvenient having to swap trains and is no quicker than the ordinary WCML service.

I'd be fine with that IF it was just having one stop at the interchange but the fact it's getting a dedicated central Birmingham stop, with the extra cost of creating a spur specifically for it blows that out of the water and shows they're willing to make exceptions if it suits them.

Like you I'd still place the station close enough to provide an argument and enable a connecting service in future if we lobby long enough for it.

I'm still of the opinion that HS2 is there to increase London's airport capacity and will largely be used for carrying passengers from BHX to London and back. One the first section is built I fully expect the next stage to be canned as suddenly they'll decide the business case doesn't add up, even though it hasn't for quite some time and the costs keep escalating.
Notwithstanding the effects of COVID on the aviation industry, given the proposed expansion of LTN, and lots of capacity still at STN there is no chance that any airline would consider using BHX as an alternative to extra LON capacity. That’s also not factoring in the potential LHR 3rd runway, which the Government might now decide to back and want to use to make the UK look like it is strong and open for business after the s**tshow that will be Brexit.

Users who are viewing this thread