New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (3 Viewers)

mr_monkey

No I don’t. That’s why I never said I did. Come on man, argue with what I’m saying all you like but don’t just make things up.

Then why mention it, no-one sensible has ever suggested that, and tbf with some of your views it wouldn't surprise me ;)

shmmeee

Then why mention it, no-one sensible has ever suggested that, and tbf with some of your views it wouldn't surprise me ;)

I also mentioned Wasps hiding things for PR and my actual opinion of they probably count is as part of the general no legal recourse thing. If in doubt, go for the middle ;)

(Also, basic comedy rule of three is put the funniest element in the list last. So you could argue I saw this as the least credible possibility.)

speedie87

Saw the news this morning up was busy with work come on here this even8ng and amazed how positive the reaction is.

There is literally nothing in that the proposed plan that makes me think that it has greater than 1 or 2 percent chance of happening.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Saw the news this morning up was busy with work come on here this even8ng and amazed how positive the reaction is.

There is literally nothing in that the proposed plan that makes me think that it has greater than 1 or 2 percent chance of happening.
I think that is that a reputable university with some standing in the country has put their name to it and has officially stated that they’re working towards a new stadium suggests that it may not be as pie in the sky as once thought

Liquid Gold

What I would really like is for the club and the university to do a monthly release of all the progress made in that time. Would really get fans on board and looking forward to it/attending St Andrews in the meantime.

We don't want to go a year hearing nothing then be told they've chosen one of the fields.

SeaSeeEffCee

What do we see ya getting for home games next season ?
I'd be surprised if we average more than around 10-11k. Aren't too many teams who can sustain Championship football long term with those crowds without significant outside investment ala Brentford etc.

skybluesam66

I'd be surprised if we average more than around 10-11k. Aren't too many teams who can sustain Championship football long term with those crowds without significant outside investment ala Brentford etc.
if you accept that 5 teams will bring 5000 and the other 18 average 1500
That is an average of nearly 2000 from away fans

We would certainly get 8000+ home fans even at st andrews
so minimum of 10000 and then the villa/blues games + first game would add another couple of 1000 to the average
so 12000 average minimum subject to crowds being allowed (but that would restrict us wherever we played)

duffer

Sorry think I’m not explaining well.

Two points broke down negotiations:

1)“The legals”. Wasps agreed to ignore the state aid complaint and made it a prerequisite of negotiations that Sisu agree to stop and future legal action *related to reversing the sale* (not the state aid complaint but anything going forward). Sisu sent a letter that seemed to promise that and talks started. However there was confusion and what Sisu were agreeing to was to not have any legal action *against Wasps* (not ruling our action against say the council or anyone else). Wasps weren’t happy with this loophole. Sisu weren’t willing to give up the opportunity for future legal recourse (describes by them in their statement as “limiting the clubs legal rights” or something, Wasps go into the detail)

2) “The Indemnity”. According to Sisu Wasps asked to be indemnified against future legal claims that may result from the successful state aid complaint. As I said that’s not direct as the EC will know about any indemnity and take it into account. It’s my understanding that’s about potential future claims off the back of a successful state aid complaint. Basically an extension to the previous request to not do any more legal action to reverse the sale of the Ricoh (as technically that wouldn’t be about reversing the sale but recompense for it it wouldn’t be covered by 1)

Wasps don’t mention 2 in their statement, possibly because they view it as part of 1, possibly because they think it’ll look bad, possibly because Sisu made it up. Choose your weapon based on your stance in this argument I guess.

Have a like, because I appreciate the effort to explain it.

I’ll need to have a read through to get my head around it because I’m absolutely knackered in all honesty. It’s probably the excitement of some stadium news that doesn’t seem completely fictional! :)

Sky Blue Pete

Based on the last 10 years of the statement and those organisations involved?

Sky Blue Pete

What I would really like is for the club and the university to do a monthly release of all the progress made in that time. Would really get fans on board and looking forward to it/attending St Andrews in the meantime.

We don't want to go a year hearing nothing then be told they've chosen one of the fields.
Seems reasonable

shmmeee

Just wondering what's in this for the university?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If nothing else boosts their sports department and looks nice on marketing material. One thing the club always has and only increases as we go up the divisions is soft power in all kinds of unexpected places. Who knows where you’ll meet a City fan or a football fan in general who’ll be overly impressed because of a link to the club.

I don’t think it’d make a difference to numbers at St Andrews. Crowds are low because of logistics not moral issues.

ajsccfc

If all this is true,Anyone know about pubs,parking,public transport near to the so called site and will the locals protest as it’s a nice area surely?

If campus parking were included as part of it, absolute shitloads of spaces. Traffic can be busy and slow in rush hour but its directly served by buses from town, Kenilworth, Warwick and Leamington, a combination of train to Canley + taxi the rest of the way would do the job too and there's also a planned light rail in theory

The CableGuy

Well as someone who lives close to the Ricoh, this is great news for the club. The club getting 100% of the revenue streams is far more important than me travelling six miles to see games. Its a win-win for CCFC and Warwick University. Plus, the junction on the A46 leading to Warwick University is being upgraded - just in time if this news is any indication.

This is great motivation to sort out transport links as well, didn't they say that the first tram/light rain line would run from Warwick University to Walsgrave via the City Centre?

higgs

Would the university play their home games there aswell? Would we be renting the land off them or are they selling us the land? If we are keeping 100% of the revenue?

Gray

Would the university play their home games there aswell? Would we be renting the land off them or are they selling us the land? If we are keeping 100% of the revenue?

I hear it's going to be used for their Quidditch team, so at least it won't affect the pitch too mutch

shmmeee

Nobody knows. I’d guess we’d pay a rent, and maybe Warwick would take some time there for their stuff and events and possibly want to be involved in F&B. All speculation though. Would depend on how it’s being financed and what both sides need. All that’s been announced is a plan to form a partnership.

higgs

Nobody knows. I’d guess we’d pay a rent, and maybe Warwick would take some time there for their stuff and events and possibly want to be involved in F&B. All speculation though. Would depend on how it’s being financed and what both sides need. All that’s been announced is a plan to form a partnership.
You would wonder what is in it for them or who would we build a stadium on somebody else's land

shepardo01

No.
Top level Uni football is around step 5 Non League (Cov Utd/Sphinx etc)
Don't think Warwick are in the top tier either.
One thing that probably would be played there is the "varsity" game vs Cov Uni. (Been played at butts last few years) Tends to draw a big ish crowd (2k or so - but this is a big day in the uni calendar)
A regular game might attract 50/100 spectators...
It could conceivably host Uni National finals.
Warwick host (or used to before St George's park) PGMOL training events, tournaments for academy youngsters and FA coaching seminars.
Not sure how SGPs usage has affected this but something like this as part of the campus would attract additional events like/similar to the above.
I would also expect a fairly healthy student attendance if made attractive to them - especially if on their doorstep.
I'm excited by this.
I hope this does have legs.
I hope Coventry City council can't meddle too much in this or know councillors that side of the border who could.
Hope this also adds to the demise of Wasps

fernandopartridge

Sorry think I’m not explaining well.

Two points broke down negotiations:

1)“The legals”. Wasps agreed to ignore the state aid complaint and made it a prerequisite of negotiations that Sisu agree to stop and future legal action *related to reversing the sale* (not the state aid complaint but anything going forward). Sisu sent a letter that seemed to promise that and talks started. However there was confusion and what Sisu were agreeing to was to not have any legal action *against Wasps* (not ruling our action against say the council or anyone else). Wasps weren’t happy with this loophole. Sisu weren’t willing to give up the opportunity for future legal recourse (describes by them in their statement as “limiting the clubs legal rights” or something, Wasps go into the detail)

2) “The Indemnity”. According to Sisu Wasps asked to be indemnified against future legal claims that may result from the successful state aid complaint. As I said that’s not direct as the EC will know about any indemnity and take it into account. It’s my understanding that’s about potential future claims off the back of a successful state aid complaint. Basically an extension to the previous request to not do any more legal action to reverse the sale of the Ricoh (as technically that wouldn’t be about reversing the sale but recompense for it it wouldn’t be covered by 1)

Wasps don’t mention 2 in their statement, possibly because they view it as part of 1, possibly because they think it’ll look bad, possibly because Sisu made it up. Choose your weapon based on your stance in this argument I guess.
The remedy for 2) is not a claim for damages from SISU, it is the EC via the courts to order Wasps to pay bacj to CCC the State Aid (which I assume is the difference between what Wasps paid and what should have been paid + interest), I think another option is to remedy by awarding the complainant damages where clawing back aid from Wasps would put them out of business.

kg82

Positivity you say...
giphy.gif

win9nut

A few thoughts:
1) When is the next SCG / when will we get an opportunity to question the club about the plans?
2) what is the consensus on here on whether we will get an opportunity to have an input into the design (Sandra Garlick style)? Will we / should we?
3) No Leicester builders should be allowed on site without direct supervision of a City fan. Don’t want no shitty shirts under the stand, as the rumour goes regarding the Ricoh.

Am I getting my hopes up too much?

samccov1987

Not sure there’s too many facts in this but mirror hinting we’re in brum next season. Probably what we’re all expecting but thought I’d put it up

Last edited:

shmmeee

The remedy for 2) is not a claim for damages from SISU, it is the EC via the courts to order Wasps to pay bacj to CCC the State Aid (which I assume is the difference between what Wasps paid and what should have been paid + interest), I think another option is to remedy by awarding the complainant damages where clawing back aid from Wasps would put them out of business.

But state aid remedies aren’t designed to punish, they’re designed to put the market back how it was. And either way any remedy would take into account existing legal agreements.A remedy that left Sisu considerably richer and CCC and Wasps out of pocket would rightfully be appealed. And if there’s a legal agreement in place for Sisu to pay Wasps what they’re ordered to pay back then the remedy won’t work as intended either. Doesn’t make sense.

State Aid remedy isn’t the prize for Sisu, it’s the follow up claims. I’d put my house on it. The idea it’s about the state aid remedy comes entirely from this forum and isn’t mentioned in either statement from the parties involved. In fact Wasps explicitly state they’ve set aside the state aid and it’s all about future legals. The CCFC statement is very carefully worded to leave you with an impression but if you read it closely they’re not saying that either.

skybluetony176

If campus parking were included as part of it, absolute shitloads of spaces. Traffic can be busy and slow in rush hour but its directly served by buses from town, Kenilworth, Warwick and Leamington, a combination of train to Canley + taxi the rest of the way would do the job too and there's also a planned light rail in theory
Isn’t there already a plan in place for a link road from the A46 also. Been to a few gigs at Butterworth hall and getting out of there late at night from a venue that holds about 2K can be a nightmare so a second route out would be welcome. I think the new link road also goes directly to the only area that I can think the stadium location could be from the info on the statement.

Nick

Administrator
But state aid remedies aren’t designed to punish, they’re designed to put the market back how it was. And either way any remedy would take into account existing legal agreements.A remedy that left Sisu considerably richer and CCC and Wasps out of pocket would rightfully be appealed. And if there’s a legal agreement in place for Sisu to pay Wasps what they’re ordered to pay back then the remedy won’t work as intended either. Doesn’t make sense.

State Aid remedy isn’t the prize for Sisu, it’s the follow up claims. I’d put my house on it. The idea it’s about the state aid remedy comes entirely from this forum and isn’t mentioned in either statement from the parties involved. In fact Wasps explicitly state they’ve set aside the state aid and it’s all about future legals. The CCFC statement is very carefully worded to leave you with an impression but if you read it closely they’re not saying that either.
Have you got a link to where wasps said all that?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

It was in wasps statement “putting aside the Complaint” im convinced the end goal is to sue the council - if state aid is found the remedy is going to get wasps anyway.

I don’t see how suing the council for damages affects wasps though

shmmeee

“Despite significant progress being made in the discussions, we have unfortunately been unable to reach an agreement with the owners which, putting aside the complaint to the European Commission, would deliver the fundamental principle that there would be no further proceedings about the ownership of the Ricoh Arena.”

(notice how I’ve informed you of something you didn’t know/have forgotten and haven’t made any aspersions about your allegiance or honesty?)

Users who are viewing this thread