New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (4 Viewers)

AOM

Re: Do we want Cov FC back at the wasps nest next season?
Posted by: bigfecker (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2020 12:04

On the following conditions;

1. No SISU ownership at all, not even 1%.
2. Realistic rental of £500K a season.
3. No share of consessions.

Madness...

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Can only make a these comments

Encouraging words from the club. But nothing more. They haven't even formed the partnership yet. The descriptions cover all the good concepts don't they. Sorry for being cynical. that said a stadium would be great.

Why now. Can't help thinking careful timing. Convincing the efl? am not sure it puts much pressure on wasps because of the time lines for the project

Still yet to be convinced it is the financial panacea put forward by the club. They go on about incomes but ignore the costs.

Sounds to me like uni will own freehold and club group will build the stadium and own the bricks and mortar. No problem with that

Have made comments before that building a stadium capable of being expanded meanings the ground works (the expensive part) has to be based on the largest size envisaged. £30m seems light to me, build in capital finance costs and restricted incomes until built I would have thought cost to be over £50m for a basic stadium. Put in other elements and costs increase. Not going going to do more detailed analysis I am recuperating from major operation for next couple of weeks.

Why doesn't the uni build the additional student accommodation? Then take the income? The uni can access cheap finance

The travel plans are good but what's the timeline for that let alone the stadium. The travel stuff will happen nothing to do with the stadium project really but it would certainly help. So no cost to the club. Looks good on press release though

I don't share the notion that the announcement has got to be more valid because the uni put their name to it. Reality is the uni isn't damaged if it does or if it doesn't happen. The proposal requires follow through from our owners and that cannot be provided until tangible evidence is provided. Clearly the uni want to develop the site but there are options and they are prepared to consider this one.

I think this means next season at least in Birmingham

Don't misunderstand this is positive news and to be welcomed but right now it far too vague and early for me to be excited by it ...... even if I could almost walk to it !

That's me lot doctors orders :)

Last edited:

Tommo1993

Stay at St Andrews Fuck the Ricoh off
Once and for all build the stadium we will all have the final laugh when wasps are bust & the council are left with that empty ground

Again, why so reckless? We’re still in a delicate position.

shmmeee

They're just not getting it on the Wasps forum, are they? Unless I've completely misunderstood the club agreed to cease legal action, but the complaint to the EU cannot be dropped.

The sticking point then became Wasps insistence on an indemnity clause, in case Coventry City Council were found to have acted incorrectly in their sale to Wasps.

Let me just say that again, because I can't believe that anyone should be able to misunderstand this, or support it.

Wasps want CCFC to cover the costs of the Council's maladministration, should they be found by a completely independent arbiter to have acted incorrectly.

To me, that's akin to buying a stolen car from somebody, being obliged to hand it back or pay proper value, and then expecting the original owner to refund you for your losses because he reported the crime.

Don’t really want to get into this again, but that’s not quite accurate. Sisu agreed to stop legal action against Wasps, Wasps wanted all legal action aimed at reversing the Ricoh sale stopped, that was one reason. The talks started because Wasps thought Sisu had agreed to the latter but hadnt. The indemnity was another reason.

It’s my belief that the indemnity isn’t for the costs recovered by the council either. State aid cases aim to restore the market to how it was, not punish anyone. Any resolution that put Wasps out of business wouldn’t meet that aim, similarly surely any resolution would take into account such an indemnity otherwise its pointless.

I believe it’s about indemnity from future action against Wasps that a successful state aid case might open up. A subtle difference. One that may not make a difference to your opinion of the request, but still.

cc84cov

Don’t really want to get into this again, but that’s not quite accurate. Sisu agreed to stop legal action against Wasps, Wasps wanted all legal action aimed at reversing the Ricoh sale stopped, that was one reason. The talks started because Wasps thought Sisu had agreed to the latter but hadnt. The indemnity was another reason.

It’s my belief that the indemnity isn’t for the costs recovered by the council either. State aid cases aim to restore the market to how it was, not punish anyone. Any resolution that put Wasps out of business wouldn’t meet that aim, similarly surely any resolution would take into account such an indemnity otherwise its pointless.

I believe it’s about indemnity from future action against Wasps that a successful state aid case might open up. A subtle difference. One that may not make a difference to your opinion of the request, but still.
If wasps have nothing to hide then they shouldn’t be bothered

duffer

I’ll be honest the biggest hope is the land. I couldn’t see where we could’ve built and believe me I’ve looked.

But it’s still Sisu. Warwick will be taking them on their word just like anyone else. Sisus record of partnerships isn’t exactly spotless. They’ve still got a lot to prove. Warwicks presence doesn’t really change that, it’s not like they’ve got some superpower if due diligence previous organisations that have partnered with them were lacking.

To give credit where it's due, SISU have had no problems with landlords other than ACL/CCC and Wasps. And let's be honest about that, it's clear that all of the parties involved in that fiasco were playing their own grubby little games. For my money, you'd be daft to shake hands on a deal with any of them without counting your fingers afterwards, but that's why you pay solicitors and accountants.

I'll say right now that I don't really see this Warwick thing happening, but I hope it does, or something like it does. And if it doesn't, I hope the threat of it gives the club the power to negotiate a deal at the Ricoh that doesn't leave us completely hamstrung, though the options there are very limited given the reality that both us and Wasps need every penny of income from CCFC playing there.

Evo1883

BTW, the club needs to stop making me
giphy.gif

djr8369

I don’t think it’s as simple as being a bluff by SISU but I suspect the timing is intentional. Seems a bit early to say anything and statement feels a bit rushed and vague. Could be to distract from playing at St Andrews next season but that seems too cynical considering the improved relationship between fans and owners. I wonder if the rent negotiations have stalled and this somehow gives wasps some impetuous by showing how serious SISU are.

skyblueinBaku

I don't know how common the surname Maton is in Coventry. I had an uncle Arthur Maton (long since dead) who married one of my mum's sisters before or during WW2. I hope that I'm not related to this councillor clown.

win9nut

Can only make a these comments

Encouraging words from the club. But nothing more. They haven't even formed the partnership yet. The descriptions cover all the good concepts don't they. Sorry for being cynical. that said a stadium would be great.

Why now. Can't help thinking careful timing

Still yet to be convinced it is the financial panacea put forward by the club. They go on about incomes but ignore the costs.

Sounds to me like uni will own freehold and club group will build the stadium and own the bricks and mortar. No problem with that

Have made comments before that building a stadium capable of being expanded meanings the ground works (the expensive part) has to be based on the largest size envisaged. £30m seems light to me, build in capital finance costs and restricted incomes until built I would have thought cost to be over £50m for a basic stadium. Put in other elements and costs increase. Not going going to do more detailed analysis I am recuperating from major operation for next couple of weeks.

Why doesn't the uni build the additional student accommodation? Then take the income? The uni can access cheap finance

The travel plans are good but what's the timeline for that let alone the stadium. The travel stuff will happen nothing to do with the stadium project really but it would certainly help. So no cost to the club. Looks good on press release though

I don't share the notion that the announcement has got to be more valid because the uni put their name to it. Reality is the uni isn't damaged if it does or if it doesn't happen. The proposal requires follow through from our owners and that cannot be provided until tangible evidence is provided. Clearly the uni want to develop the site but there are options and they are prepared to consider this one.

I think this means next season at least in Birmingham

Don't misunderstand this is positive news and to be welcomed but right now it far too vague and early for me to be excited by it ...... even if I could almost walk to it !

That's me lot doctors orders :)
Speedy recovery!

duffer

Fair point, but two things to add here.

The complaint to the EU was and is not legal action, and it cannot be dropped,

I'd never picked up that Wasps were asking for indemnity against future legal action on the back of a successful complaint. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd be genuinely interested to see where you got that from? To me, indemnity is a cover against possible costs, and that's different from a promise not to take further legal action.

I'm also not sure if it would make much difference to my opinion, but it's a fair question. My gut feel is still along the lines that if Wasps suffer financially because of the Council's incompetence, and there's a case to answer in the courts, then that case should be heard and it isn't for Wasps to try to put a stop to it.

duffer

Duffer...can you do us a favour...sign up and post that on their forum. The don't have a clue. One guy suggested we could come back on 3 assumptions - no Sisu, 500K rent and no access to F+B money.

Absolutely deluded...

Lord no, many thanks but I waste enough time already on here! :)

oldfiver

I don't know how common the surname Maton is in Coventry. I had an uncle Arthur Maton (long since dead) who married one of my mum's sisters before or during WW2. I hope that I'm not related to this councillor clown.

Matons are an old Coventry business- aptly they are funeral directors

SeaSeeEffCee

Stay at St Andrews Fuck the Ricoh off
Once and for all build the stadium we will all have the final laugh when wasps are bust & the council are left with that empty ground
We’d really, really struggle to compete at Championship level with St Andrews crowds.

mr_monkey

We’d really, really struggle to compete at Championship level with St Andrews crowds.

But with the stadium announcement and whatever the reason is why we aren't at the Ricoh don't you think more people would go than last season (especially with the bigger games)

Tommo1993

But with the stadium announcement and whatever the reason is why we aren't at the Ricoh don't you think more people would go than last season (especially with the bigger games)

The announcement is written words, the only step we’ve taken with new stadiums is gaining an organisation’s signature, That’s it. When, if, construction starts and people actually have something to believe, you’ll see more bums on seats in Birmingham. Shouldn’t matter anyway, we should be back at the Ricoh short or long term, and ‘Stans’ (cringe) a thing of the past.

jordan210

Straight on the phone to the trust
"
Dave Eyles, the chairman of supporters’ group the Sky Blues Trust, said he welcomed the news. “This has been a long time coming for the fanbase with suggestions [of a new ground] first being made by the club ownership back in 2013.

“There are still many hurdles to be cleared such as planning permission issues, infrastructure challenges and financials to be ironed out, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

“It’s start to shine a light at the end of the tunnel. We are aware that negotiations are ongoing for the Sky Blues to return to the Ricoh arena in groundshare arrangement with Wasps.

“If the short-term future and the long-term future are both clear for the football club, the level of positivity would clearly increase. The majority of fans want to see Coventry playing back in Coventry as soon as possible.”

stange as the trust hasn't let its member know any thing in ages or even acknowledged this information on twitter

D

Deleted member 4439

I'd never picked up that Wasps were asking for indemnity against future legal action on the back of a successful complaint. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd be genuinely interested to see where you got that from?

The Observer carried the story but did not reveal the source if indeed it wasn't just sloppy journalism - but I think it would have been a private briefing from within from the club, whose statement the day before stressed that a confidentiality agreement to the talks prevented them from saying what the unworkable condition was.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s supposition though a good question to ask if anyone from wasps would answer

RegTheDonk

Well it means the EFL will let us play at a ground for a few more years outside Coventry I guess
I'm sure that is a factor and I hope the Uni isn't a pawn in this grand game of chess.

I'm going glass half full for a change and am prepared to give SISU the 5 years they say this will take. I'd hope for the club's sake they can do a profitable but short term deal for the Ricoh until this does come fruitition, but if not then I hope we can all do our best to get behind the team, go to Brum, and help keep the club afloat.

Fool us once, same on you etc... no excuses now Joy.

shmmeee

I'd never picked up that Wasps were asking for indemnity against future legal action on the back of a successful complaint. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd be genuinely interested to see where you got that from? To me, indemnity is a cover against possible costs, and that's different from a promise not to take further legal action.

I'm also not sure if it would make much difference to my opinion, but it's a fair question. My gut feel is still along the lines that if Wasps suffer financially because of the Council's incompetence, and there's a case to answer in the courts, then that case should be heard and it isn't for Wasps to try to put a stop to it.

Sorry think I’m not explaining well.

Two points broke down negotiations:

1)“The legals”. Wasps agreed to ignore the state aid complaint and made it a prerequisite of negotiations that Sisu agree to stop and future legal action *related to reversing the sale* (not the state aid complaint but anything going forward). Sisu sent a letter that seemed to promise that and talks started. However there was confusion and what Sisu were agreeing to was to not have any legal action *against Wasps* (not ruling our action against say the council or anyone else). Wasps weren’t happy with this loophole. Sisu weren’t willing to give up the opportunity for future legal recourse (describes by them in their statement as “limiting the clubs legal rights” or something, Wasps go into the detail)

2) “The Indemnity”. According to Sisu Wasps asked to be indemnified against future legal claims that may result from the successful state aid complaint. As I said that’s not direct as the EC will know about any indemnity and take it into account. It’s my understanding that’s about potential future claims off the back of a successful state aid complaint. Basically an extension to the previous request to not do any more legal action to reverse the sale of the Ricoh (as technically that wouldn’t be about reversing the sale but recompense for it it wouldn’t be covered by 1)

Wasps don’t mention 2 in their statement, possibly because they view it as part of 1, possibly because they think it’ll look bad, possibly because Sisu made it up. Choose your weapon based on your stance in this argument I guess.

mr_monkey

The announcement is written words, the only step we’ve taken with new stadiums is gaining an organisation’s signature, That’s it. When, if, construction starts and people actually have something to believe, you’ll see more bums on seats in Birmingham. Shouldn’t matter anyway, we should be back at the Ricoh short or long term, and ‘Stans’ (cringe) a thing of the past.

But it's a better situation than we were in this time last season.

I agree completely we should be at the Ricoh whilst the new one is being built but as long as it isn't a deal that hampers our upward trajectory... personally if that means we are in Brum for 5 years until the stadium is built so be it. Loads of other clubs have done it in the past so I see no issue why we can't

ccfcchris

Great news today that must have lifted every single City fan. I agree caution is necessary but today is a good day.

I would hope the University must think it's a viable plan as I can't see them being interested in petty politics. They must be aware of the history.

mr_monkey

Sorry think I’m not explaining well.

Two points broke down negotiations:

1)“The legals”. Wasps agreed to ignore the state aid complaint and made it a prerequisite of negotiations that Sisu agree to stop and future legal action *related to reversing the sale* (not the state aid complaint but anything going forward). Sisu sent a letter that seemed to promise that and talks started. However there was confusion and what Sisu were agreeing to was to not have any legal action *against Wasps* (not ruling our action against say the council or anyone else). Wasps weren’t happy with this loophole. Sisu weren’t willing to give up the opportunity for future legal recourse (describes by them in their statement as “limiting the clubs legal rights” or something, Wasps go into the detail)

2) “The Indemnity”. According to Sisu Wasps asked to be indemnified against future legal claims that may result from the successful state aid complaint. As I said that’s not direct as the EC will know about any indemnity and take it into account. It’s my understanding that’s about potential future claims off the back of a successful state aid complaint. Basically an extension to the previous request to not do any more legal action to reverse the sale of the Ricoh (as technically that wouldn’t be about reversing the sale but recompense for it it wouldn’t be covered by 1)

Wasps don’t mention 2 in their statement, possibly because they view it as part of 1, possibly because they think it’ll look bad, possibly because Sisu made it up. Choose your weapon based on your stance in this argument I guess.

Mate, do you really believe that sisu made up the indemnity... Jesus fucking Christ you have said some whopers on here before but that is the best bar none

If it didn't exist wasps would have said so, end of story

shmmeee

Mate, do you really believe that sisu made up the indemnity... Jesus fucking Christ you have said some whopers on here before but that is the best bar none

If it didn't exist wasps would have said so, end of story

No I don’t. That’s why I never said I did. Come on man, argue with what I’m saying all you like but don’t just make things up.

Users who are viewing this thread