New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (3 Viewers)

chiefdave

Match day pubs, the sovereign, phantom coach, burnt post, varsity and Westwood social club to became the new supporters club lol... Let the away fans drink in Canley
Dirty Duck and Terrance Bar both in the SU. There's a plaza with a big screen in front of the SU, could easily stick a beer tent up on match days.

Assume there will also be bars in the Arts Centre when the refurb is finished.

Nick

Administrator
Hang on. Why the assumption Warwick Uni are just going to hand over some land and not want anything in return be it rent or access to ancillary revenues? They are a major player in events and related catering already. I wouldn’t expect them to just step aside and let us make all the profit.

Who has said that they would just hand some land over and that's it?

clint van damme

Yeah I agree. It’s another promise of jam tomorrow after six+ years of broken promises. But come on, enjoy the speculation for what it is.

OK, but as I asked earlier, what do they get out of stringing this along for 5 more years?
Especially if we're in Brum, wouldn't they be better cutting their losses now and giving Hoffman a ring?

chiefdave

Don't think anyone is expecting land for free but you have to think building on land already owned by a project partner that doesn't come under CCC is a lot easier than the other options.

shmmeee

OK, but as I asked earlier, what do they get out of stringing this along for 5 more years?
Especially if we're in Brum, wouldn't they be better cutting their losses now and giving Hoffman a ring?

What have they gained from stringing us along for the last six? Time for legal avenues to play out without a peasants revolt.

clint van damme

What have they gained from stringing us along for the last six? Time for legal avenues to play out without a peasants revolt.

It doesn't sound feasible to me. I' m not saying there aren't good reasons for scepticism but I haven't heard anything mentioned that makes me think so that's what they're up to.

shmmeee

Sometimes Nick, I used hyperbole for effect. But lots in this thread talking about “F&B without Wasps taking anything”. Just pointing out that Warwick will want their pound of flesh too, they’re a commercial enterprise and not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They have a huge events and catering staff already and I’d imagine it’d make sense for them to bring that to bear.

Tommo1993

What is hard to believe?

That it’ll come to fruition. We’ve been after a new stadium for 7 years especially, anyone can be excused for doubting it, surely? They’ve agreed to a rough area, and still need permission from surrounding govs. I can invest in it when it’s more than just a statement, but until then I can’t jump two-footed into believing it. Did I read it’s a 5 year plan too? They still need to be really careful with where we play in the meantime. More people will follow to Birmingham, but not on the basis of words written down.

shmmeee

What have the council gained by trying to block the Butts?

giphy.gif

Ring Of Steel

It doesn't sound feasible to me. I' m not saying there aren't good reasons for scepticism but I haven't heard anything mentioned that makes me think so that's what they're up to.

This makes more sense to me than anything else I've seen, heard or read. We're not talking about simply whacking a stadium up on land we got for free, we're talking a joint venture between two parties for mutual benefit, the football club would just be a sports team who are a part of the company owning this project. Warwick would get a cut plus a great facility on their doorstep- how they'd divide up the cost/ revenue god knows but in broad terms this whole things makes sense.

Johnnythespider

I can’t help but think owning/part ownership of the RICOH is a pipe dream.

Realistically, the club needs to secure its long term future. We cannot do that if we’re renting a stadium from landlords we’ve been at odds with in and around a decade now.

Two exiles from Coventry, constant legal battles with Wasps/CCC, constant fears over where we’re playing.

Leaving Highfield Road was the worst decision we’ve made in my lifetime. Can any of the older supporters think of a worse decision the club has made?

It’s time to cut ties with the RICOH and move on. Whether by accident or design, the council made the club’s position untenable when 100% of the stadium was sold to Wasps.

The RICOH is probably too big for us (unless we became a Prem team) and certainly too big for Wasps.
When they stopped doing balti pies, i was livid

Nick

Administrator
Sometimes Nick, I used hyperbole for effect. But lots in this thread talking about “F&B without Wasps taking anything”. Just pointing out that Warwick will want their pound of flesh too, they’re a commercial enterprise and not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. They have a huge events and catering staff already and I’d imagine it’d make sense for them to bring that to bear.

It is hoped much of the funding would come from ‘enabling development’ such as retail or student accommodation.

Quite vague but could be something along the Tesco lines with the Ricoh.

I really doubt anybody thinks that Warwick Uni are in it for shits and giggles and nothing in return. It isn't really the same as Wasps or ACL getting all of the money from our fans buying beers at the ground though is it?

shmmeee

Guess it depends on your default position. I can totally understand that if someone bullshits you for six years you might have reason to be cautious about their future promises. I believe the Brothers Grimm write on this topic.

People seem to be jumping on anyone that doesn’t take this as proof positive a stadium is definitely happening, but that’s not really fair. It’s understandable to be sceptical given the history of the project. Same as every time CCC announce a shiny plan for the city centre you’d question it given the debacles with other projects.

Si80

Dirty Duck and Terrance Bar both in the SU. There's a plaza with a big screen in front of the SU, could easily stick a beer tent up on match days.

Assume there will also be bars in the Arts Centre when the refurb is finished.
They'd be really nervous about the plaza I reckon. It was closed due to trouble after the Eng / Columbia game in the last World Cup so weekly games and home / away fans gathering would definitely be a situation WU would want to avoid I'd guess.
Would be ace on a sunny day though!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

No- you'd have to take out 2,000 for away fans, plus with WM police probably up to 500-1,000 for segregation, so its 17,000 home tickets if we start at 20k, or about 15,000 if we start at 18k
I don’t know why they do that. In a lot of grounds they just but bars either side of a staircase and have stewards line the stairs.

chiefdave

They'd be really nervous about the plaza I reckon. It was closed due to trouble after the Eng / Columbia game in the last World Cup so weekly games and home / away fans gathering would definitely be a situation WU would want to avoid I'd guess.
Would be ace on a sunny day though!
Looking at the statement they put out it was more down to numbers once it was knockout games and not being able to get enough trained staff in to run it safely. Hopefully with better organisation and police presence we normally see on match days it would be opened up. Plus wouldn't be disturbing students as it won't be during uni hours.

They'd make a fortune so I can't see them being quick to say no.

Anyway we're a long way from that being the biggest problem we've got!

chiefdave

No- you'd have to take out 2,000 for away fans, plus with WM police probably up to 500-1,000 for segregation, so its 17,000 home tickets if we start at 20k, or about 15,000 if we start at 18k
Another plus, a lot of the dumb rules at the Ricoh are at the insistence of the SAG. Thats run by the council so presumably if we were no longer under Coventry council we'd have different people calling the shots and might not be the only club in the county that needs thousands of empty seats between home and away supporters.

Nick

Administrator
Guess it depends on your default position. I can totally understand that if someone bullshits you for six years you might have reason to be cautious about their future promises. I believe the Brothers Grimm write on this topic.

People seem to be jumping on anyone that doesn’t take this as proof positive a stadium is definitely happening, but that’s not really fair. It’s understandable to be sceptical given the history of the project. Same as every time CCC announce a shiny plan for the city centre you’d question it given the debacles with other projects.

Again, you are really reading things that aren't there. It's almost as if there's a thread titled about being pessimistic and nobody has been jumped on.

It also depends if you have a one sided view where you totally block out a lot of things that have actually happened or shout conspiracy when they get mentioned. ;) 🤪

shmmeee

I really doubt anybody thinks that Warwick Uni are in it for shits and giggles and nothing in return. It isn't really the same as Wasps or ACL getting all of the money from our fans buying beers at the ground though is it?

Yes it could be that. Or it could be that they, as an events and catering company, want a slice of the events and catering income. Both are equally plausible until we know more.

I think having their expertise on board is a good thing, same as rumours Sisu wanted was it AEG if they got the Ricoh? But that expertise doesn’t come for free.

Nick

Administrator
Yes it could be that. Or it could be that they, as an events and catering company, want a slice of the events and catering income. Both are equally plausible until we know more.

I think having their expertise on board is a good thing, same as rumours Sisu wanted was it AEG if they got the Ricoh? But that expertise doesn’t come for free.

The Club will own and be entirely responsible for the cost of the stadium and its operation; equally, the Club will receive all stadium revenues it generates.

It may well be that other things are done in the surrounding area, there is also the link between knowledge from the uni and club but not really earth shattering moneys worth to send a couple of physio students to work at the club.

chiefdave

The accepted line has been a deal like the one with Tesco is a non starter as retail aren't building / renting units like that these days. Switching in student accommodation for retail blows that argument out of the water. Doubt anyone in Cov would try and make the argument that there isn't a demand for student accommodation. Hardly a day goes by without news of another site being targeted by developers.

shmmeee

Again, you are really reading things that aren't there. It's almost as if there's a thread titled about being pessimistic and nobody has been jumped on.

It also depends if you have a one sided view where you totally block out a lot of things that have actually happened or shout conspiracy when they get mentioned. ;) 🤪

Mate. You’re literally replying to any post about scepticism. You’re doing it in this post where you claim you aren’t with insults and all I’ve done is say it’s understandable that people might not buy into it 100% straight away. You started ranting about the council and the Butts out of nowhere as well.

Chill. I’ve said it’s a good plan. I’ve said I hope it comes off. I’ve told people who are understandably sceptical to enjoy the speculation regardless. Honestly, stop trying to paint me with a different opinion so you can have a fight. It’s tiring.

Nick

Administrator
Mate. You’re literally replying to any post about scepticism. You’re doing it in this post where you claim you aren’t with insults and all I’ve done is say it’s understandable that people might not buy into it 100% straight away. You started ranting about the council and the Butts out of nowhere as well.

Chill. I’ve said it’s a good plan. I’ve said I hope it comes off. I’ve told people who are understandably sceptical to enjoy the speculation regardless. Honestly, stop trying to paint me with a different opinion so you can have a fight. It’s tiring.

Who has been jumped on or "attacked"?

I have even written that it's only right for people to be sceptical, when people start making random shit up then I guess they don't like having they pointed out. I haven't ranted out of nowhere, I have replied with things about past stadium issues.

I don't need to paint with any different opinion, you have done it yourself with trying to find something in a statement that wasn't there as well.

shmmeee

The accepted line has been a deal like the one with Tesco is a non starter as retail aren't building / renting units like that these days. Switching in student accommodation for retail blows that argument out of the water. Doubt anyone in Cov would try and make the argument that there isn't a demand for student accommodation. Hardly a day goes by without news of another site being targeted by developers.

Trying to work out the business case from Warwicks end here though, why not just build and operate their own? Bringing in a supermarket makes sense when it’s outside money looking for locations. If Warwick want student housing on their own land there’s nothing stopping them.

I think it’s more that they could use the stadium and there’s sensible links in health and sports that work for both. They have the gold standard football management course there as well don’t they? Lots of reasons to bring in a sports team.

chiefdave

When people talk about the club getting F&B money I don't think they're imagining Fisher popping down to Tesco for some burgers and Sepalla firing the grill up. There's always going to be a catering partner and they aren't going to be doing it for nothing. Might as well have that partner be Warwick Food & Drink.

shmmeee

Who has been jumped on or "attacked"?

I have even written that it's only right for people to be sceptical, when people start making random shit up then I guess they don't like having they pointed out. I haven't ranted out of nowhere, I have replied with things about past stadium issues.

I don't need to paint with any different opinion, you have done it yourself with trying to find something in a statement that wasn't there as well.

OK. Clearly you’re on one today. Have a goodun. I’ll talk to you when you come down.

Nick

Administrator
Trying to work out the business case from Warwicks end here though, why not just build and operate their own? Bringing in a supermarket makes sense when it’s outside money looking for locations. If Warwick want student housing on their own land there’s nothing stopping them.

I think it’s more that they could use the stadium and there’s sensible links in health and sports that work for both. They have the gold standard football management course there as well don’t they? Lots of reasons to bring in a sports team.

Exactly, I can't really comment on that as i don't know how unis work but if they have a football club based at the uni with strong links then wouldn't it make those courses more appealing / bring in more funding for those courses?

ajsccfc

Agree, I don't think student accomm would be part of it. A new student village has literally just been finished on campus and while third parties are building nearby I'm sure there's no way they'd be allowed on campus land itself

shmmeee

Exactly, I can't really comment on that as i don't know how unis work but if they have a football club based at the uni with strong links then wouldn't it make those courses more appealing / bring in more funding for those courses?

You’d have thought so. I really hope it helps the links with my old school (now Westwood Academy) as well, the ex teacher in me gets quite excited at the idea of PE departments helped by pro football clubs.

Something I’ve always wanted is more uni/school sport with a higher profile. I love the US model personally. I’d really hope this means higher profile varsity games, stuff like that. It’s why I’ve said for ages the uni was the best place for a new ground. So many “synergies”

Nick

Administrator
You’d have thought so. I really hope it helps the links with my old school (now Westwood Academy) as well, the ex teacher in me gets quite excited at the idea of PE departments helped by pro football clubs.

Something I’ve always wanted is more uni/school sport with a higher profile. I love the US model personally. I’d really hope this means higher profile varsity games, stuff like that. It’s why I’ve said for ages the uni was the best place for a new ground. So many “synergies”

It would look good for students looking to go there for sports stuff too, more enticing to pick Warwick than another Uni because of the chance to go to a Pro Sports team.

It also benefits CCFC because they could potentially have loads of free / cheap labour.

Users who are viewing this thread