New Stadium Announcement!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

mark82

It was their choice to move 100's of miles away from Coventry, I tip my hat to them for travelling back to games.

My point is, that this area of Coventry is shit at best to drive around / get to on public transport through Coventry at the moment. How would it cope on a matchday?
Plus, a train station at the Ricoh cost what £10M to put in? That's 1/3 of the £30M budget gone already if we're putting one in over here now.
We moan that the Ricoh is shit to get too (it's not in my helicopter btw). But putting a stadium here would have exactly the same issue for fans imo. I can't viably see how you can improve the road links to get to that area of the city easier, especially with the buy in of CCC.

The rail line and new road are already planned to give better connection to the university and surrounding business parks. It's unlikely to form a major part of the stadium budget.

shmmeee

I think that would be good, packed out atmosphere every week, really get behind the team. Make it something that's exclusive, people of Coventry clamour for tickets because they are like gold dust and really get them wanting to watch the city, the occasional games they get in for the regulars still making positive noise for the team and shaking people out of that negative 'forward' or 'you're shit' mindset they've havd for years. Then when we get to the point of expanding a massive rush for tickets.

I like that idea (obvs Id be getting tickets right?) but genuine question: can we run a competitive Championship side on 18k attendances? If so then let’s do it.

Ring Of Steel

Would be interesting to run the numbers on how many big crowds we get in the Championship vs how much it costs to have the bigger ground. Annoyingly for stadium planners we seem to have 12-15k regular support then another 20k+ who will turn up three or four times a season.

18k then borrow the Ricoh for Villa games?

You also have to factor in the current 'feelgood' factor, which we haven't had in probably two decades. Then again, you just know that a couple of losses and it will be back to complaining. 15,000 or so home tickets per game wouldn't be enough for next season for sure... but I do get the reasoning, if we haven't learned anything after what went on in 2005 then we really are stupid.

Anyway, if we're winning then the distance would be no issue, lose a few and all of a sudden the location becomes an issue and its "too far to go and watch that shit". Everything hinges on what happens on the pitch, which is completely unpredictable so I get the low start point, but would hate it if that was our limit.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!

This is refreshing

“Let’s make sure that it’s just a matter of time before Coventry City Football Club is playing Premiership football in the south of Coventry.”

I mean, it's not been called that since 2007, but otherwise good bandwaggoning effort...

jordan210

If the uni own the land could be University of Warwick Stadium as part of the deal?

Maybe it will be a bit like Brighton will still be sponsored but be classed as a community stadium.

the Amex is a good example of a new stadium built in a Uni complex

ajsccfc

The VLR stuff exists independent of any of this, it just makes sense to incorporate it into whatever plans may come about

Ring Of Steel

What would we get 10k season ticket holders? So 8k spare for match package, single tickets, POTG etc.

When we play Reading it's £20, when we play Villa it's £50.

No- you'd have to take out 2,000 for away fans, plus with WM police probably up to 500-1,000 for segregation, so its 17,000 home tickets if we start at 20k, or about 15,000 if we start at 18k

mr_monkey

“Let’s make sure that it’s just a matter of time before Coventry City Football Club is playing Premiership football in the south of Coventry.”

I mean, it's not been called that since 2007, but otherwise good bandwaggoning effort...

Or actually a council person doing what is right for the city and the football club for the first time in years

robbiethemole

maybe osb58 can give us his take on costings? he seem to be the one with a finger on the pulse. my thoughts are :- initial outlay £30m + 5 years rent somewhere, approx £5m, plus extras for planning and road improvements contributions maybe another £10m.So overall around £45-50m.

To offset that there's naming rights, for a new stadium could be exciting for sponsor, F&B either franchised or in-house, merchandising and Club shop, S/T deals,the sale of Ryton and car parking could all pay back into the kitty, plus events and concerts it doesn't take much imagination to see it could be a golden ticket for us. PUSB

shmmeee

You also have to factor in the current 'feelgood' factor, which we haven't had in probably two decades. Then again, you just know that a couple of losses and it will be back to complaining. 15,000 or so home tickets per game wouldn't be enough for next season for sure... but I do get the reasoning, if we haven't learned anything after what went on in 2005 then we really are stupid.

Anyway, if we're winning then the distance would be no issue, lose a few and all of a sudden the location becomes an issue and its "too far to go and watch that shit". Everything hinges on what happens on the pitch, which is completely unpredictable so I get the low start point, but would hate it if that was our limit.

Hard to judge though isn’t it? Five years a long time in football. Who would seriously have had us back in the Championship on the up four/five years ago?

We could build an 18k ground and be back in L2 playing to 7k, or could be promoted and need 30k+ to fit the bandwagon in.

Glad it’s not me making capacity decisions. From a non CCFC POV I think 15-20k is about right for the uni and the city.

Liquid Gold

I like that idea (obvs Id be getting tickets right?) but genuine question: can we run a competitive Championship side on 18k attendances? If so then let’s do it.
Other teams manage it. I think we’d be more likely to do it in our own ground on 18k attendances than at the Ricoh with 23k but Wasps skimming off everything.

chiefdave

This actually has a chance of being one of the most accessible grounds in the country if all of this infrastructure is built. Rail, HS2, Very Light Rail, Buses from all the surrounding towns, Motorway and A-Road access and huge swathes of car parking across the Campus which wouldn't normally be in use when a game was on.
And when we're in the Prem and visiting teams are flying in by private jet they can land at Cov Airport.
It's not though is it. From my house it's an hour on public transport assuming the stadium is located "near" Warwick Uni. That's on a good day. Add in 15K other fans trying to do the same journey using the same roads. It'll be gridlock.
Where are you coming from? The 12X is 19 minutes from Pool Meadow and 12 minutes from the station.

The Uni has 29K full time staff and students plus all the staff at the offices and business park and significant transport infrastructure improvements are planned irrespective of if a new stadium is built or not. Where are people expecting a stadium to be built that already has optimal infrastructure for all forms of transport and all fans no matter where they live?

Si80

18/19 attendance info has Swansea at 18k ave. 13th out of 24. They finished 10th. So yeah, doable.

Ring Of Steel

Hard to judge though isn’t it? Five years a long time in football. Who would seriously have had us back in the Championship on the up four/five years ago?

We could build an 18k ground and be back in L2 playing to 7k, or could be promoted and need 30k+ to fit the bandwagon in.

Glad it’s not me making capacity decisions. From a non CCFC POV I think 15-20k is about right for the uni and the city.

Yeah its very hard. But I would definitely say that where we are now, 18-20k is not enough... but I get the reasoning (saying that through gritted teeth).

Tommo1993

Not buying into this at all. There’s no real substance to it. The only new thing is another organisation agreeing to a joint statement and it’s still really hard to believe.

shmmeee

Hang on. Why the assumption Warwick Uni are just going to hand over some land and not want anything in return be it rent or access to ancillary revenues? They are a major player in events and related catering already. I wouldn’t expect them to just step aside and let us make all the profit.

mark82

There are already plans to improve access to the Uni - regardless of the stadium..I'm not sure if you will be able to see these links...

transport

Transport and Mobility
We aim to transform the travel and arrival experience for staff, students, visitors and local communities by enhancing mobility to and across campus.

What might this look like?
  • Support the development and implementation of new connectivity routes with broader local and regional benefit – the A46 link road, a new University station, Very Light Rail.
  • Reduce the dependency on single occupancy vehicle usage by introducing more sustainable modes of travel to campus, flexible working, ride share and demand responsive transport options
  • Welcome hubs at the periphery of campus to improve the arrival experience and reduce on-campus congestion.
  • Easier to navigate pedestrian and cycle routes to, from and around campus.

There is always Canley train station

The VLR project sounds perfect to help with this - though its a bit in conjunction with coventry council - not sure how they will partner up?

VLR

In 2016, Coventry City Council approached WMG to ask if the design approach and technology from the Revolution VLR railcar could be used to create a low-cost tram solution, in order to encourage drivers to leave their cars at home and travel by public transport.

Coventry City Council secured £14.66m of funding to support the required research and development costs and initial route planning activities.

This project aims to deliver all of the benefits of trams but at a cost of £10m per kilometre (compared with an average of £50m per kilometre for a traditional tram solution). The vehicle will be smaller than traditional trams and battery powered avoiding the need for overhead power cables. With a passenger capacity of 50, the vehicles will provide a hop-on, hop-off service. To minimise driver costs, it is envisaged that the vehicles will ultimately be autonomous.

WMG, in partnership with Coventry City Council and Transport for West Midlands, is leading the research and development projects to deliver a novel vehicle and track form.

Transport Design International was selected by WMG to develop the vehicle design. A demonstrator vehicle design has recently been completed and components are being procured. The vehicle will be assembled in Coventry and be ready for testing in autumn 2020.

Separately, WMG is procuring an industrial ‘innovation partner’ to work on the design and proving of a novel track form. Prototype track elements will be available by late 2020, after which time, a purpose-designed test track will be constructed at the VLR National Innovation Centre (VLRNIC) in Dudley to allow the vehicle and track to be fully evaluated.

Beat me to it, and better.

Liquid Gold

Hang on. Why the assumption Warwick Uni are just going to hand over some land and not want anything in return be it rent or access to ancillary revenues? They are a major player in events and related catering already. I wouldn’t expect them to just step aside and let us make all the profit.
Even if they are wanting rent it’s going to be a hell of a lot better than buying land.

Sbarcher

Do they have a helicopter pad for me to get there?
I'm thinking of travelling up on the Oxford canal. could I please have a branch off to get to Warwick Uni.

NortonSkyBlue

One of the things overlooked with the location of the Ricoh is that it on the side of city closest to Nuneaton and Bedworth with 130000 population. Surely Warwick University is just in the wrong location?

shmmeee

Not buying into this at all. There’s no real substance to it. The only new thing is another organisation agreeing to a joint statement and it’s still really hard to believe.

Yeah I agree. It’s another promise of jam tomorrow after six+ years of broken promises. But come on, enjoy the speculation for what it is.

fernandopartridge

Yea, the statement is written carefully. The fact the club will no doubt lease the land from the uni isn't mentioned as the need for an 'unencumbered freehold' was a red herring.

Ricketts

Maybe the naming rights? University of Warwick stadium isnt too much to moan about (although I bet some will!)

Users who are viewing this thread