New signing set to be announced today (1 Viewer)

Kingokings204

He couldn't give anything away but said it sounded like Gerry McShoffray??

Signed for scumthorpe which is a shame as I like mcsheff.

Hope we sign. Some players within a few weeks. They will come thick and fast when they do finally

AFCCOVENTRY

The Sky Blues secure the services of the defender who made 16 appearances on loan last season...
Coventry City have agreed to sign defender Chris Stokes on a one-year deal, with a further year option in the club's favour.

The Sky Blues have secured the services of the defender after his performances impressed manager Tony Mowbray during the 2015/16 season.

Stokes was released from Conference side Forest Green Rovers and has agreed to sign for City on Wednesday, July 1st (tomorrow).

The left-back made 16 appearances for the Sky Blues whilst on loan last season, scoring one goal in the 2-1 win over MK Dons at the Ricoh Arena.

Mowbray said: "I'm delighted to see Chris sign with us as we begin organising our squad for the upcoming season.

"Chris is a player I enjoyed working with since I joined the club in February as you can tell he is eager to learn and improve his game.

"You need to be able to listen and learn as a professional footballer and Chris has those attributes as well as a strength and a presence on the pitch.

"I'm hopeful he will thrive after a full pre-season and would like to see him challenging for a starting spot next season."

ccfc92

Think he will do well after a good one season.

Wonder what will become of Haynes? Loaned out? Back up or used as a winger?

skybluebeduff

Year deals again, more rebuilding of an even more depleted squad next year I fear. But an addition nevertheless.

More please.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Not even worth a new thread haha says it all really!

SlowerThanPlatt

I just don't think he has anything going for him: he isn't fast, he isn't strong, he isn't a good crosser, he isn't a good tackler. Maybe I'm wrong though, TM must obviously see something decent in him we'll see and hope.

Grendel

Think he will do well after a good one season.

Wonder what will become of Haynes? Loaned out? Back up or used as a winger?

Or released to a non league team

tom88

I'm hoping this is the start of a surge of signings. Would be nice to get Lawton & reds over the line plus 2 new signings.

Grendel

I just don't think he has anything going for him: he isn't fast, he isn't strong, he isn't a good crosser, he isn't a good tackler. Maybe I'm wrong though, TM must obviously see something decent in him we'll see and hope.

Still a million times better than Haynes who is adored by some of here but in reality is garbage.

Kingokings204

You're judging a teenager based on 29 senior appearances? Who had a shit manager guiding him at the time?

Do that:facepalm: really hard.

I agree with this. There is a talent and a good player in there and along side Andy Webster anyone is going to look shit. Also with SP as your manager. He didn't really have a chance G. Give him another chance now

ccfc92

I wouldn't be surprised if Reda didn't sign. Doesn't strike me as the committed type, as we seen for much of last season. Shame, but I can see him moving on elsewhere.

Not fussed either way tbh. We can always bring in a leader a centre back in this league, plenty out there.

If reda does sign, I'd prefer it on a performance/ appearance type of contract.

SlowerThanPlatt

I wouldn't be surprised if Reda didn't sign. Doesn't strike me as the committed type, as we seen for much of last season. Shame, but I can see him moving on elsewhere.

I can't see many better clubs being interested. He was injured for ages last season and has always been injured a lot during his career. Let's not forget when he did play he wasn't that good either, scored a few goals but that's it, his defending was poor but people look past that because he's a well liked player. I've no doubt he is a good player on his day but he didn't really show it last year. In my opinion, a risk worth taking but on a basic wage with a appearance fee.

Kingokings204

I can't see many better clubs being interested. He was injured for ages last season and has always been injured a lot during his career. Let's not forget when he did play he wasn't that good either, scored a few goals but that's it, his defending was poor but people look past that because he's a well liked player. I've no doubt he is a good player on his day but he didn't really show it last year. In my opinion, a risk worth taking but on a basic wage with a appearance fee.

He is a risk of course but we basically didn't lose bar the odd game when he played last year. Why would you not want him to sign? If he was fully fit for 40+ games last year we would of easily been top half. He needs to sign in my opinion if we are to get 6th.

SlowerThanPlatt

He is a risk of course but we basically didn't lose bar the odd game when he played last year. Why would you not want him to sign? If he was fully fit for 40+ games last year we would of easily been top half. He needs to sign in my opinion if we are to get 6th.

He's already fleeced the club of a good wage last year when he played about 20 games. I don't think he's ever played over 30 games a season at any of his clubs? I'm not saying I'm against signing him but for his wage which is probably about 4k I'm sure we could find a younger and fitter centre half than Reda, obviously this player may not have better influence on the team but if he guarantees us 40 games a season over Redas 20/25 I'm all for it.

Tonylinc

TM has already said that he wants to sign Reda for this season and I think he sees it as a challenge to get him playing more games. Let's be honest when he plays we usually win. Has his problem up to now been more mental than physical?

Kingokings204

He's already fleeced the club of a good wage last year when he played about 20 games. I don't think he's ever played over 30 games a season at any of his clubs? I'm not saying I'm against signing him but for his wage which is probably about 4k I'm sure we could find a younger and fitter centre half than Reda, obviously this player may not have better influence on the team but if he guarantees us 40 games a season over Redas 20/25 I'm all for it.

Fleeced is a harsh word but I understand it. I'm sure he doesnt want to be injured. I'm sure he would rather be playing just so happens he is injury prone. His appearance record speaks for itself I get that but if he was playing full seasons he would be in the championship so he is a good player.

Can be shit at times but I think we lost 3 from 20 when he played last year and that's speaks volumes. Now he has a good manager I really want him to stay. I know you do to but you're more undecided for valid reasons.

stupot07

Glad stokes has signed a new deal, thought he showed promise at times last season, will also be fairly cheap meaning wages can be utilised for attacking options. Think Haynes will be back up, he certainly isn't good enough to play as a winger in a side that will (hopefully) push for play offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

CCFC_Charlie

Happy enough with this. 1 year with an option to extend is definitely the right contract to give out as well given how unproven he is.

Harranold

Hmm ,"I'm hopeful he will thrive after a full pre-season and would like to see him challenging for a starting spot next season."...wonder who he is going to be challenging?

Last edited:

Samo

Glad stokes has signed a new deal, thought he showed promise at times last season, will also be fairly cheap meaning wages can be utilised for attacking options. Think Haynes will be back up, he certainly isn't good enough to play as a winger in a side that will (hopefully) push for play offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Interesting that TM says this though:
"I would like to see him challenging for a starting spot next season."
Signed as back up only?

SlowerThanPlatt

He continued: “People don’t realise I hadn’t played for three months before I joined and thought I was fully fit. It isn’t an excuse, but I was nowhere near it! I got straight into it, playing Saturday Tuesday, thankfully I got through it adrenaline!

stupot07

Interesting that TM says this though:
"I would like to see him challenging for a starting spot next season."
Signed as back up only?

I don't think so given he was ahead of Haynes last season, unless he's planning on bringing in another left back as first choice. Think it's just clever management, keeping both of them on their toes I.e no ones guaranteed a starting berth.

Last edited:

Limey

Reda stands out a mile in this league. Signing him will be key to a strong team spine. CM and Striker to follow hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread