New signing incoming - Ryan Giles on loan (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Bit surprised to see him coming back but more likely to get game time.

No idea if he's going to be good enough esp as we've gone up a level but good luck to the lad.

Magwitch

There has been a lot of negativity on whether we will re-sign last years loanees, O’Hare got him, Giles got him leaving just one Liam Walsh, you never know.

skybluepm2

No offence but if you wernt a fan of mcallum I question your judgement on wing backs.

He was huge part of our promotion

None taken, football is all about opinions and this is mine mate.

He was arguably the weakest link in our strongest XI and while by no means am I saying he didn’t contribute considerably, I didn’t lose any sleep over him leaving. I simply preferred Mason and was surprised when he made way for McCallum.

cc84cov

Hold on

Is this the same Shrewsbury team that was devastated he chose to come to us against joining them again last season ?

ExmouthNeil

I think we are a 20 goal striker away from a good team (a team that will stay in the championship - and may even look towards mid table)
I am not sure we can afford that type of player however, so will depend on getting lucky in the loan market

The Holy Grail.... Every team is looking for a 20 goal a season striker... And then if you get one a bigger club comes in scoops him up. It's the way of the Football world...

SeaSeeEffCee

Hold on

Is this the same Shrewsbury team that was devastated he chose to come to us against joining them again last season ?
He didn't get dropped from the team, they just stopped playing him at wing back because they didn't think he did enough defensively.

cc84cov

None taken, football is all about opinions and this is mine mate.

He was arguably the weakest link in our strongest XI and while by no means am I saying he didn’t contribute considerably, I didn’t lose any sleep over him leaving. I simply preferred Mason and was surprised when he made way for McCallum.

Surprised ? Did you watch Rotherham away ? It was from that point he was dropped his fitness has never been great he’s too small & weak robins also knows this,I see mason being sold with a first choice left back coming in.McCallum is far superior to mason it’s not even close again robins obviously seen it this way also,would of put McFadz as the weak link ahead of McCallum let’s see where they both end up Mason & McCallum I think we all know McCallum will go onto play premiership football mason however I don’t see going above the championship.

cc84cov

He didn't get dropped from the team, they just stopped playing him at wing back because they didn't think he did enough defensively.

He’s young they all will have them stages the key is a strong experienced back line next to him & support from players ahead of him.

Marty

Surprised ? Did you watch Rotherham away ? It was from that point he was dropped his fitness has never been great he’s too small & weak robins also knows this,I see mason being sold with a first choice left back coming in.McCallum is far superior to mason it’s not even close again robins obviously seen it this way also,would of put McFadz as the weak link ahead of McCallum let’s see where they both end up Mason & McCallum I think we all know McCallum will go onto play premiership football mason however I don’t see going above the championship.

I agree with this, If the rumours are true and we're chasing that lad from Monaco, you'd have thought he'd be first choice, With Giles being back up.

SeaSeeEffCee

Do find it slightly interesting as to how the club has treated this signing compared to the others. All the signings so far have been given 5 or so follow up tweets with quotes/pictures etc. as well as a video interview. For Giles they put up the announcement tweet, then a couple of pictures of him in training and that's it. Would think it's probably a logistics thing but seems odd with how co-ordinated the comms guys are with these things.

Also can't help but notice that none of the players have tweeted welcoming him back...

skybluepm2

I did yeah, he had a very bad day at the office as did the majority of the team and there was no way back for him after that. McFadz at the start of the season was perhaps seen as the weak link and came in for a bit of stick, but he was immense after the Rotherham defeat and I can’t recall him putting a foot wrong since. Even now, people are saying he won’t be able to cut it in the Championship but what’s that based on, his age? I think he’ll play a bit part for us. Let’s wait and see.

You may be right about where they end up in their careers but I’m talking about the here and now, there isn’t much between them In my opinion. Mason had always been decent for us but think he’ll be moved on as he wasn’t even getting into the squad in the latter stages of the season. 12 months ago he was rewarded with a new 3 year deal so he wasn’t doing a lot wrong and was seen as a decent prospect.

I recall when he first came in from Watford and got into the side ahead of the experienced Junior Brown, but you have to admit it was warranted. A real rapid decline in his status at the club, doesn’t look like there’s a way back now.

skybluepm2

I agree with this, If the rumours are true and we're chasing that lad from Monaco, you'd have thought he'd be first choice, With Giles being back up.

I saw rumours stating that the Monaco bloke was going to cost over £2m. Surely we wouldn’t be splashing out again would we? I’d be surprised if Giles has come to sit on the bench for a season too. Maybe we’re changing shape. So many questions!

shmmeee

Would Panzo play LWB? I got the impression he was more LCB. I’d be surprised to see us loan in a reserve, though I guess that’s what Giles was last season!

cc84cov

I saw rumours stating that the Monaco bloke was going to cost over £2m. Surely we wouldn’t be splashing out again would we? I’d be surprised if Giles has come to sit on the bench for a season too. Maybe we’re changing shape. So many questions!
In a back 4 mason for me over Giles but if we use wingbacks Giles would take it for me getting him going early in pre season will help

Marty

Would Panzo play LWB? I got the impression he was more LCB. I’d be surprised to see us loan in a reserve, though I guess that’s what Giles was last season!

My mistake, I was under the impression that lad was a wing back.

robbiekeane

Do people really think there's something in that Panzo rumour? Like has it been said again or is it just that one random tweet?

Would love it to be true but wonder if we are getting a bit carried away

SkyBlueDom26

Do people really think there's something in that Panzo rumour? Like has it been said again or is it just that one random tweet?

He has a year left on his contract and will probs cost 2-3 million, can’t see how it will happen unless it’s a loan

SeaSeeEffCee

The rumour was only that we were looking at him, but Monaco weren't sure if they were going to let him go yet so it wasn't anything firm. Came from a pretty reputable source.

larry_david

This could be a signing that makes more sense if Mason leaves pre season. I trust better days he's never led us wrong yet, but I trust MR having seen Giles train every day and for RG to agree to a season he must be happy to be back.

Time will tell with this one.

AFCCOVENTRY

Giles is a player that will be able to stretch play and on the counter attack. He’s versatile and might be LWB or as winger. He is a big talent. Happy to have him here and fight for a place.

Users who are viewing this thread