New Player Incoming - Leo Ostigard (1 Viewer)

hill83

Hi all, as a Brighton fan I thought I may be able to shed a tiny bit of light on Ostigard:

We only got him a couple of years ago and like many have said, he's still very young at 20. He made almost 30 appearances for St Pauli last season whilst on loan.

We've had a very good track record with loaning out our younger/fringe players recently. Of our youth products, Ben White was on loan at Leeds last season and won Young Player of the Season at the club and was chosen Player of the Season by one of their local newspapers. I'm sure if any of you are on social media you'll have noticed the #FreeBenWhite campaign by Leeds fans, showing how highly sought after he is and how keen they are to poach him off us for their PL campaign. Another youth product, Jayson Molumby, was on loan at Millwall and impressed there and there is hope from some Albion fans that he can break into the first team here this year. Aaron Connolly and Steven Alzate are youth products who broke into our first team last season and did very well in the Prem. Of other players, Matt Clarke was on loan at Derby and they've resigned him on another loan.

We tend to slowly build up our youth products by incremental loan moves year on year - White, for example, went on loan spells from League Two Newport to League One Posh, before being loaned to Leeds last year. This all suggests that there is good reason to hope that Albion consider Ostigard ready for the test of the Championship and could follow suit, being another one of our youth players who shines in the Championship. Many of you may know that I have a soft spot for the Sky Blues after living in Coventry for 8 years, so I'll be keeping a keen eye out on your season in the Championship and how Leo does!

Whilst I'm here, have there been any further developments on the new stadium plan at Warwick Uni?

You didn't say 'Brighton fan in peace' mate.

Somerset Sky Blue

Hi all, as a Brighton fan I thought I may be able to shed a tiny bit of light on Ostigard:

We only got him a couple of years ago and like many have said, he's still very young at 20. He made almost 30 appearances for St Pauli last season whilst on loan.

We've had a very good track record with loaning out our younger/fringe players recently. Of our youth products, Ben White was on loan at Leeds last season and won Young Player of the Season at the club and was chosen Player of the Season by one of their local newspapers. I'm sure if any of you are on social media you'll have noticed the #FreeBenWhite campaign by Leeds fans, showing how highly sought after he is and how keen they are to poach him off us for their PL campaign. Another youth product, Jayson Molumby, was on loan at Millwall and impressed there and there is hope from some Albion fans that he can break into the first team here this year. Aaron Connolly and Steven Alzate are youth products who broke into our first team last season and did very well in the Prem. Of other players, Matt Clarke was on loan at Derby and they've resigned him on another loan.

We tend to slowly build up our youth products by incremental loan moves year on year - White, for example, went on loan spells from League Two Newport to League One Posh, before being loaned to Leeds last year. This all suggests that there is good reason to hope that Albion consider Ostigard ready for the test of the Championship and could follow suit, being another one of our youth players who shines in the Championship. Many of you may know that I have a soft spot for the Sky Blues after living in Coventry for 8 years, so I'll be keeping a keen eye out on your season in the Championship and how Leo does!

Whilst I'm here, have there been any further developments on the new stadium plan at Warwick Uni?
Nothing (yet!) on the ground at Warwick uni!, for plenty of will it/won't it arguments, look on some other threads! 😁

Anything more about Ostigard - has he one year left on contract (extension possible), is he rated as highly as White - especially and how did he play in preseason friendlies (if he was involved)?
More importantly for us - does he have regular injuries or a dodgy ACL? 😀

Terry_dactyl

Nothing (yet!) on the ground at Warwick uni!, for plenty of will it/won't it arguments, look on some other threads! 😁

Anything more about Ostigard - has he one year left on contract (extension possible), is he rated as highly as White - especially and how did he play in preseason friendlies (if he was involved)?
If he doesn’t now, he will have by the time we’ve finished with him!

Somerset Sky Blue

Stiick Auto Translate on here.

St Pauli fans seemed to think they were keeping him and are gutted.

Nice read - lots of favourable reports. My favourite bit is a fan moaning that towards the end of last season he wore some merchandise of the club and made positive comments on Twitter, so they thought he wanted to return.
We wouldn't ever be fooled by that! 😃

Magwitch

Does this mean Rose is going.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It is a concern. Linked with Leeds earlier who have just tried and failed to sign Ben White ironically from Brighton for £25million. Leeds have millions burning holes in their pockets so if they want him will be hard to stop.

SlowerThanPlatt

It is a concern. Linked with Leeds earlier who have just tried and failed to sign Ben White ironically from Brighton for £25million. Leeds have millions burning holes in their pockets so if they want him will be hard to stop.

It was a made up link like Westbrooke to Leeds, Football Insider aren’t getting exclusives, it’s a well known agent rag. Anyway they will be looking for much better than Rose

Somerset Sky Blue

If I was buying for Leeds, I'd want somebody who had experience at a higher level (though I'd buy Rose as one to develop as well....).

Martin180

I follow a lot of the German leagues , ample betting opportunities , so watch very closely . St.Pauli last season we’re great to watch , hard to beat and didn’t concede many

Can see Ostigard , Hyam and Rose being our most consistent starting 3 when all are back fit

Sussex Boy

Yep, he's got one year left on his contract as he signed for 3 years back in August 2018. Albion haven't actually played a pre-season game yet to my knowledge - our first is against Chelsea this weekend. Therefore I'm not sure if many fans have seen him in action. For that reason Brighton fans can't really rate him one way or another and will largely be going off of what the St Pauli fans have said. However, it should be said that whilst this time last year we were hopeful that Ben White could be a future prospect, I don't think anybody quite envisaged the season he'd have for Leeds. So, I wouldn't want to say that Ostigard will follow suit, but Albion loanees have been recently doing very well for their clubs in the Championship, so there's reasons to be hopeful Leo will as well. If the club didn't think he could cut the mustard at that level, I don't think they'd have hesitated letting him have another season abroad or sending him to a League One team. :)

shmmeee

It's mad really, everyone screams that we need another defender for quality and depth, we get one and it instantly everyone thinks someone is going. Maybe we have done what we all wanted, brought in extra quality and depth and that is that. Looking forward to seeing this guy play in the team.

There’s a reasonable contingent on this site who think you need a squad of 11 and everyone not playing must be loaned out or sold and there’s no competition for places after the first game.

Users who are viewing this thread