New Labour Leader (3 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

1. Nandy
2. Starmer

1. Rayner
2. Butler

Think Starmer will win it in the first round.

shmmeee

Right. Angela Rayner. Help me out. I don’t see it? Is it just a bit of patronising the working class or am I a dickhead who is missing an amazing poltician?

stupot07

I went
1. Nandy
2. Starmer
3. Long-Bailey

1. Rayner
2. Allin-Khan
3. Murray
4. Butler
5. Burgon

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Flying Fokker

so. I am not a member of the party and was sent A voting option.

I guess that is how I keep Long Bailey and Rayner out.

wingy

Nandy appears naturally the most cogent,Frank,honest, honourable,responsive.
Therefore the most electable on the national stage
Foolish if they select another.
If not certainly one for the future.

NorthernWisdom

It'd be foolish to want that even as a massive Johnson fan. Having an unelectable opposition and practically free reign to do as they please for long periods never turns out well either way. You need an effective opposition to have effective, accountable government.
Why on earth wouldn't you want a better alternative than the government, anyway?

It's unlikely to happen(!) but give me a Tory who out-Labours Labour and out-Liberals the Liberals, and I'd vote for them.

Ironically, Johnson'd be close if it weren't for the incompetencies and self-interests!

shmmeee

Why on earth wouldn't you want a better alternative than the government, anyway?

It's unlikely to happen(!) but give me a Tory who out-Labours Labour and out-Liberals the Liberals, and I'd vote for them.

Ironically, Johnson'd be close if it weren't for the incompetencies and self-interests!

Yeah if it wasn’t for the authoritarian tendencies, the lies, the racism, the fucking stupid shit like pretending he’d been to a hospital with coronavirus in it and shook hands (fucking moron) and the absolutely detestable people around him, and the dodgy connections to foreign powers, I’d quite like Johnson’s policy platform. I’m middle of the road socially and fairly left wing economically. It’s just some of it is just economically illiterate and some of it is lies. But aside from that.

I think when you’re new to it politics is a team sport, then you realise it’s a system that needs all parts firing. One reason I’m quite sad Boris did a Stalinist purge of the moderates. I genuinely think proper conservatism is an important part of democracy and while I’d never vote for them you need someone doing the job of making sure we don’t go off half cocked. Sadly both sides are fucking useless loons at the moment.

fernandopartridge

Nandy appears naturally the most cogent,Frank,honest, honourable,responsive.
Therefore the most electable on the national stage
Foolish if they select another.
If not certainly one for the future.
Are you joking? Nandy says a lot of "we must" without having any actual ideas. I think she's dreadful tbh.

Brighton Sky Blue

Just odd that he gets away with it whereas the left get dog's abuse for proposing similar ideas

Flying Fokker

I assume you have been a member in the past, and not just been randomly selected?
Yes. A few years ago. I still get the emails. I cancelled and asked them not to send mail. The way the party was going with momentum and Corbyn et al meant I could not continue as a member. Until they have a credible alternative I will cast my vote elsewhere. Tbh I don’t like extremes. I vote for the least bad.

SkyBlueDom26

Politics isn’t football, you don’t just cheer for your side. Get your head out of the culture war. Our democracy functions best when we have an effective opposition to hold the government to account.
Yeah you do cheer for ya side, go on Borissss

fernandopartridge

Yes. A few years ago. I still get the emails. I cancelled and asked them not to send mail. The way the party was going with momentum and Corbyn et al meant I could not continue as a member. Until they have a credible alternative I will cast my vote elsewhere. Tbh I don’t like extremes. I vote for the least bad.

Who did you vote for at the last election, just out of interest?

torchomatic

So out of interest, how many people around here are Coventry Labour Party members?

My wife and I are members but obviously in Warwick and Leam CLP.

I voted Starmer, Nandy, second pref.

Murray, Dr Allin-Khan, second pref.

torchomatic

I hope its Long Bailey

Hopefully not. I don't want another decade of the Tories.

After last night's Andrew Neill interview I think she is toast anyway now.

shmmeee

He just won’t let this go, it’s my real worry with him. His actual position is a bit more nuanced but he should’ve known how it’d be reported and just said “no”. It’s an obvious gotcha question that’s going to come up.

SkyBlueDom26

He just won’t let this go, it’s my real worry with him. His actual position is a bit more nuanced but he should’ve known how it’d be reported and just said “no”. It’s an obvious gotcha question that’s going to come up.

Shows signs that he's deluded and unwilling to listen to the north

clint van damme

saw that and it pretty much made my mind up not to vote in the leadership election. Thought Starmer was the only realistic candidate to take the party forward even if I personally would prefer someone a bit more left leaning but you've got to compromise but this is madness.
Problem is there are a lot of centrists who think that's a vote winner, they'll never learn.

SkyBlueDom26

saw that and it pretty much made my mind up not to vote in the leadership election. Thought Starmer was the only realistic candidate to take the party forward even if I personally would prefer someone a bit more left leaning but you've got to compromise but this is madness.
Problem is there are a lot of centrists who think that's a vote winner, they'll never learn.

Surely Nandy is the best option? Kier or RLB would be crazy and are only trying to make Londoners happy

chiefdave

Bit of a trap because anyone would be mad to rule it out. If we leave and everything goes to shit and an overwhelming percentage of people want to rejoin should he just keep refusing? Of course that level of detail doesn't come over and he ends up looking a bit ridiculous.

Not as much as the papers at the weekend who had headlines declaring nearly half the country wants to rejoin which when you then read the article was the results of a poll showing 46% rejoin against 54% leave!

Users who are viewing this thread