New Labour Leader (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

thought he did OK, not as well as some on the right of the party are making out and not as badly as some on the left are saying.
My one concern, as someone who has wanted him to go on the attack from the off, was did he have a go at the government because today was his first opportunity to do so in PMQs or was it because Alistair Campbell was critical of him not having done so in this mornings Guardian?
Hopefully the former and we haven't got Campbell back seat driving.

Be fair, he was clearly well prepped and didn’t come up with that line of questioning in a morning because of something Campbell said.

Current situation plays into his hands well, calm and space to be forensic and measured rather than shouty and rallying the troops behind him. I have my doubts how he’ll do against Johnson in a battle of the jeering crowds.

People keep saying go on the attack but I think that’s strategically poor thinking. The polling shows the public largely behind the government and against political point scoring right now. He’s striking the right tone for right now. I also have my doubts about whether he can do barnstorming opposition when it’s needed, but right now it’s not what’s needed.

wingy

Think he got it right
He can let the other minor parties really have a poke

It was all about delay and being slow

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not bad from Starmer in his first PMQs. No sign of Johnson so he was up against Raab who is a pretty easy opponent.

Not having many MPs in parliament makes it a lot easier for the opposition leader as well, can't just shout him down.

Yep. So fed up of all the shouting out etc. Worse than any set of schoolkids. And they wonder why respect is going down the toilet. I'd be quite happy to have soundproof booths and the mic only gets turned on when it's your turn to speak. So you can try and disrtupt all you want - no-one will hear it.

Ian1779

Be fair, he was clearly well prepped and didn’t come up with that line of questioning in a morning because of something Campbell said.

Current situation plays into his hands well, calm and space to be forensic and measured rather than shouty and rallying the troops behind him. I have my doubts how he’ll do against Johnson in a battle of the jeering crowds.

People keep saying go on the attack but I think that’s strategically poor thinking. The polling shows the public largely behind the government and against political point scoring right now. He’s striking the right tone for right now. I also have my doubts about whether he can do barnstorming opposition when it’s needed, but right now it’s not what’s needed.

He did fine I think. I am a little uncomfortable with the fawning over him by Tories in the media (their definition of a ‘proper’ opposition sounds more like ‘compliant’ to me) but I’m going to put that down to them more interested in petty Corbyn point scoring rather than anything untoward about Starmer.... certainly at this stage anyway.

Liquid Gold

I don’t know if this is the right thing or not as a member but I’m going to sort of check out on things for a year and judge him then.

clint van damme

Campbell criticised him for not attacking the government, a few hours later he attacks them in exactly the manner Campbell said he should.
I'm not saying he came up with that line of questioning on the morning but more the delivery. Not overtly aggressive but still making sure he got his point across, something he's not done up to now. Just an observation really and as much as I don't like Campbell I don't think anyone can accuse him of strategically poor thinking.
I thought he did OK but bearing in mind he was up against Raab trying to defend weeks of government lying and missed targets on PPE and testing so his job is definitely going to get harder.
I also see that it,s now law that any conversation of Starmer has to include the word forensic!!

shmmeee

Campbell criticised him for not attacking the government, a few hours later he attacks them in exactly the manner Campbell said he should.
I'm not saying he came up with that line of questioning on the morning but more the delivery. Not overtly aggressive but still making sure he got his point across, something he's not done up to now. Just an observation really and as much as I don't like Campbell I don't think anyone can accuse him of strategically poor thinking.
I thought he did OK but bearing in mind he was up against Raab trying to defend weeks of government lying and missed targets on PPE and testing so his job is definitely going to get harder.
I also see that it,s now law that any conversation of Starmer has to include the word forensic!!

I saw that. Though not going to complain about a little message discipline!

Users who are viewing this thread