New Labour Leader (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Hard to believe at present, but I actually think Emily Thornberry or Jess Phillips would take the party backwards.

Nandy seems more centred and electable, not heard anything negative. Unlikely to appeal to Corbynites, but surely they realise that if they want the Tory's out eventually they need a softer approach and not something akin to what's already in place.

Emily Thornberry would be a poor choice.

In what way do you think Jess Philip's would take the party backwards?
I'm not a fan but I think she would move the party more towards the centre which I think is the approach you're suggesting though she is quite a devisive character.

stupot07

I'm not a fan but I think she would move the party more towards the centre which I think is the approach you're suggesting though she is quite a devisive character.

I'm interested in his thoughts on this too. She was very sceptical about corbyn and the way antisemitism has been dealt with and confident to speak out. She would shake things up, and sideline Momentum.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rob9872

I think she'd suffer from being seen as unelectable in the way Kinnock did. Doesn't matter what the substance undeath is, people are largely shallow and her accent alone is enough to put lots off in the way his welsh, bald/ginger did. The ridiculous statements she's already made about door knocking etc will be brought back to haunt her too …. (imo of course). I do think it should be a female though and if they could find a suitable candidate to tick either the Jewish or BAME box, then I'd consider that an advantage too (but not Abbott of course!)

tommydazzle

As someone who didn't vote for Labour or Tory my neutral take on it as the labour politicians who I tend to admire: Lisa Nandy, Stephen Kinnock and unfortunately no longer in politics - David Milliband.

Find Thornberry condescending and patronising, Rayner rude, shouty and aggressive, Long-Bailey the robotic labour equivalent of Theresa May. It's policies, of course, that should trump personalities but leadership does matter in the eyes of most voters. In this election (Clinton quote) 'strong wrong always beats weak right' and Corbyn was seen as ineffective.

clint van damme

I think she'd suffer from being seen as unelectable in the way Kinnock did. Doesn't matter what the substance undeath is, people are largely shallow and her accent alone is enough to put lots off in the way his welsh, bald/ginger did. The ridiculous statements she's already made about door knocking etc will be brought back to haunt her too …. (imo of course). I do think it should be a female though and if they could find a suitable candidate to tick either the Jewish or BAME box, then I'd consider that an advantage too (but not Abbott of course!)

Think you're right regarding Jess Phillips.

shmmeee

Phillips is the anti-Boris in many ways. Uber feminist, loud woman. I imagine one on one shed do OK with a Leave voter, but en masse she’s the opposite to their social ideals.

I think if Labour aren’t going to give up on their normal voter base (and to do so would be suicide IMO), they need to tack away from the ID politics and activism and towards where the voters are.

I think if we hadn’t just had Corbyn she’d be fine, but right now don’t want to come across too shouty.

Grendel

Wonder how much Umunna regrets leaving the party - this was potentially his time.

The members would never elect him - they’d prefer the Uber intellect Dawn Butler

Grendel

It's probably true that they wouldn't. I will, however, be intrigued to see how Blair's re-entry into the debate goes. Is he still tarnished goods, or will people prefer to remember that he won elections, and listen to how he did that?

The view seems to be Blair would take them back to the 90’s and the worlds a different place - ironic as they want to take the country back to the 70’s

shmmeee

It's probably true that they wouldn't. I will, however, be intrigued to see how Blair's re-entry into the debate goes. Is he still tarnished goods, or will people prefer to remember that he won elections, and listen to how he did that?

The tricky bit will be disentangling Blair’s strategy from his policies. Too many on the left think politics is about convincing people which ideas are right and not about convincing them which party can be trusted to try their ideas by showing they’re listening to concerns.

Blair himself said there’s nothing wrong with wanting left wing policy, but you start from the Center and move out. Prove you can be trusted, allay voter concerns, focus on their priorities not yours.

That’s the lesson I hope well take from this. Everything from here on out needs to be laser focused on who our voter coalition is and what they want.

I suspect the real problem will be, as the Democrats are finding out, that socially liberal voters in university cities might closely align with the membership, but there aren’t enough of them in the right places to win an election.

Our big opportunity will be Johnson’s incompetence and personal dislike of him. But the social conservatism mixed with some spending on the NHS, schools and police is the template that’ll win you more elections than not in the U.K.

Sick Boy

As someone who didn't vote for Labour or Tory my neutral take on it as the labour politicians who I tend to admire: Lisa Nandy, Stephen Kinnock and unfortunately no longer in politics - David Milliband.

Find Thornberry condescending and patronising, Rayner rude, shouty and aggressive, Long-Bailey the robotic labour equivalent of Theresa May. It's policies, of course, that should trump personalities but leadership does matter in the eyes of most voters. In this election (Clinton quote) 'strong wrong always beats weak right' and Corbyn was seen as ineffective.

David Milliband would be a great choice but unfortunately isn't going to appeal to Momentum lot who seem to have taken over the direction of the party.

Sick Boy

Remain is dead dude. Time to move on.

Brexit as an issue isn’t going away soon, but the Remain/Leave fight is over. We lost.
Yep, the remain arugement was arrogant and half-hearted and never truely sold the EU in a positive light and reverted to scare tactics. If the will is there in the future then it will be up to the next generation to fight for the country to join again.

I do feel for those who are going to lose their EU-associated rights of FoM though.

shmmeee

Yep, the remain arugement was arrogant and half-hearted and never truely sold the EU in a positive light and reverted to scare tactics. If the will is there in the future then it will be up to the next generation to fight for the country to join again.

I do feel for those who are going to lose their EU-associated rights of FoM though.

When will progressives learn that people don’t like being told they are weak and in need of protection?

Personally the best cut through I ever had with Leave voters I know is phrasing it in terms of us no longer leading the world and punching about our weight. About having confidence in our own ability to forge the direction. Not how terrible things will be without it and how we are a small weak country. People don’t want to hear that.

Liquid Gold

As a member I'm going to leave myself open minded at the moment and try to allow the candidates a chance to prove themselves capable of leadership.

Phillips I'm not keen on due to her seemingly being more concerned with infighting than holding the government to account over the last few years and there is no point jumping from one divisive candidate to another.

I like Starmer and feel like he has the potential to come across as statesmanlike and competent opposite Johnson but will need to drop the remain position.

Long-Bailey I like but even as a leftist I think the party could to with a step or two back to the centre.

Nandy, not that far back to the centre.

Rayner I think could do a good job in Labour heartlands and if the stratefy is to win those back before moving forward would be a good choice but feel she'd get a roasting from the Tory press.

But as I said, all of that could change and I am trying to be open about the process.

On a side note I find the talk from the anti-Corbyn side of the party about people joining now so they can reject the direction of the party from the last few years leaves a bitter taste. These are the exact people the orchestrated the disenfranchisement of thousands of people in the 2016 leadership election anybody they thought may have supported Corbyn because of a multitude inane reasons. A friend of mine was refused a vote for voting green in 2010 for example. I'm very much not saying the same should be done to people expected to vote for centrist candidates but someone calling for this would likely be a divisive candidate which is not what we need.

NorthernWisdom

On a side note I find the talk from the anti-Corbyn side of the party about people joining now so they can reject the direction of the party from the last few years leaves a bitter taste. These are the exact people the orchestrated the disenfranchisement of thousands of people in the 2016 leadership election anybody they thought may have supported Corbyn because of a multitude inane reasons. A friend of mine was refused a vote for voting green in 2010 for example. I'm very much not saying the same should be done to people expected to vote for centrist candidates but someone calling for this would likely be a divisive candidate which is not what we need.
I find that all very disasteful generally. My membership has been off and on (more off than on, admittedly) over the years, depending on what direction I see the party going in. There have been times when I've voted for other candidates because the policy of Labour at the time didn't agree with me.

But that doesn't stop my disposition towards a progressive left-leaning socially just party, and surely it's better to have me controlled from within, than rogue without?

(I can accept that this equates to Militant / the Tory Brexit mentalists who infiltrated both parties over the years)

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Johnson for 5 years is the best thing for Labour, without the Scottish votes, it’s going to be tough to secure a majority in the next election but Johnson can be that catalyst as he will surely f**k it up, he won’t be able to help himself.

stupot07

Johnson for 5 years is the best thing for Labour, without the Scottish votes, it’s going to be tough to secure a majority in the next election but Johnson can be that catalyst as he will surely f**k it up, he won’t be able to help himself.
It depends if they make those boundary changes Cameron wanted to make, which would make it harder for labour to win.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Starmer probably the sensible choice but tainted by time in shadow cabinet. Nandy not quite charismatic enough as somebody has said. Jess Phillips has the charisma but is hated by a lot of people outside of labours base. Beats me.

Needs to be somebody decent though as a strong opposition is in everyone’s interests.

Look at what worked for the Tories. Ability or charisma?

Alexander is massively divisive and not overly popular with the parliamentary mob of the Tories.

If we look at the long road back it may well not be the next leader of Labour won't be there to win them an election but to get as close back to them as possible and build bridges.

Given these I think Jess Phillips might be a good bet right now - yes opinion on her divided but she's charismatic, opinionated and loud. She could definitely take Alexander on at his own game at the dispatch box and she's criticised Corbyn. If she'll appeal to anyone it's the working class people of the Midlands and the North, who have to be their first port of call

This then gives people like Starmer the chance to have time to become disassociated from Corbyn and the likes of Nandy to get more public profile and improve on her public speaking.

stupot07

I dunno, a lots changed since the kinnock days, theres way more regional accents on tv and radio than there used to be. Back in the 80's and 90's it was largely all middle class southern accents.

Users who are viewing this thread