New Keeper signed! Marko Marosi (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

I’d want to see a proper development option to come in as second choice. Must be a fairly talented youngster who’s not being retained by a Prem club, sort of in the Brandon Mason ilk (albeit, a keeper and not a left-back).
And taller

robbiethemole

According to Badlan, he was told by Donny coaches to stay on his line and let defenders deal with the crosses!!! fuck that,a keeper needs to control his 6yard box, hopefully the new keeping coach can get him coming to catch/punch when needed.

Mr Panda

Not sure if this has been picked up already in this thread but I'm not sure this quote from Badlan bodes well...

"We wanted someone who has the same skill set in terms of handling as Burge but better in terms of his feet, and Marosi ticked all of those boxes.”

CanadianCCFC

My takeaways:
A lot of Doncaster fans said that he doesn’t come for crosses, but Doncaster coaches told him to stay on his line, which won’t be the case with us.
He is good with his feet and will help us play out from the back.
Badlan says we’re going to announce a second keeper signing this week.

Magwitch

Would Marosi have signed a three year deal unless he or his agent or even ccfc for that matter knew something we don’t about our ground situation ?

Sick Boy

Posted on the other thread:

Not exactly rave reviews from their fans, but fan opinion on keepers is more likely to be divided as it’s a high profile position. Plus, some players adapt and find form/up their game when they move clubs.

Saying that, I assume he’ll be our second choice keeper. I know MR said he wants two keepers to compete for the starting spot, but I’m hoping the other is the stronger of the two.

Edit: that reads more negativity than I intended. I’m by no means writing him off.

He’s come from a top 6 league 1 team, I’d be surprised if he isn’t first choice.

Sick Boy

As long as they get paid what they are promised I doubt they are that fussed

Spot on, I’ve never understood why some seem to think not playing at the Ricoh is going to put them off, it’s not like new signings are going to have any sort of attachment to it.

Esoterica

I was a bit 'Meh!' about this signing initially but the interview by Andy Turner with Badlan is excellent and the confirmation of a) the work that has gone in to these signings and b) the intention to play proper football again has won me over and I'm excited again! 5 inches taller than Burge too.

mark82

I was a bit 'Meh!' about this signing initially but the interview by Andy Turner with Badlan is excellent and the confirmation of a) the work that has gone in to these signings and b) the intention to play proper football again has won me over and I'm excited again! 5 inches taller than Burge too.

Seems they have definitely gone for a type. Goalkeepers who can play the ball. Wilson also described himself as a footballing goalkeeper who likes to play the ball out. Quite excited for next season at the moment with the type of player we are signing (ground shenanigans aside). Quite like Badlan, he's not afraid to explain the process and work they have put into players, and the reasoning behind the signings.

covcity4life

lol the dinosaur fans on here are gonna hate a goalkeeper that plays it out from back

ITS JUST NOT RIGHT ARGHHH

p.s yes i have been proven right again with my football philosophy, thank you robins for listening

SkyBlueCRJ

There seems to be a vague implication in some of the things that I've read which suggests Robins wanted better as a GK coach, might be completely wrong though

Oggy was fine as a GK coach. But with the emergence of the modern goalkeeper, Oggy's expertise is limited. That's no slight on Oggy, keepers in his generation weren't asked to play from the back, but rather boot it up field. Even if he didn't retire, due to his lack of knowledge in this department I think it was probably best for someone else to be brought in regardless.

fernandopartridge

Oggy was fine as a GK coach. But with the emergence of the modern goalkeeper, Oggy's expertise is limited. That's no slight on Oggy, keepers in his generation weren't asked to play from the back, but rather boot it up field. Even if he didn't retire, due to his lack of knowledge in this department I think it was probably best for someone else to be brought in regardless.

Oggy did play for a few years after the backpass rule was introduced, but yeah, I get your point.

SkyBlueCRJ

Oggy did play for a few years after the backpass rule was introduced, but yeah, I get your point.

I'm more talking about the style of play expertly showcased by the Pickford's and Ederson's of this world. Keepers who are almost used as both an outfield player and a GK. Hence why I stated that Oggy isn't really qualified to teach such a skillset, as really his knowledge is limited in this department due to the style of play that was utilised in the 80s and 90s.

fernandopartridge

I'm more talking about the style of play expertly showcased by the Pickford's and Ederson's of this world. Keepers who are almost used as both an outfield player and a GK. Hence why I stated that Oggy isn't really qualified to teach such a skillset, as really his knowledge is limited in this department due to the style of play that was utilised in the 80s and 90s.

Yes I know

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

5 inches taller? So he's 6'8''/6'9''!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The two keepers brought in seem a bit like-for-like with their replacements on first impressions. Bit surprised our back-up has so few appearances given their age.

I'm always a bit wary when managers sign keepers and the first thing they say is "he's got good distribution" as usually it means they can pass a ball but can't do the basic fundamentals of goalkeeping. Basically teams try to copy those like Man City without taking into account the massive differences in terms of quality of player. Those teams can afford a keeper that might make the odd error because they won't have to face many chances - we most likely will.

Hopefully they'll do well and be an improvement on Burge (but I thought the same when we signed LOB).

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But Pickford is dodgy as fuck at that level - very reminiscent of Burge IMO. Good shotshopper but makes massive howlers far too often. Ederson however I will give you - good with his feet but a quality keeper too.

Users who are viewing this thread