Nazanin Radcliffe (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I don’t know if it’s just me but this really is a scandal

This person clearly is a pawn in a game for the Iran government and the lack of serious response from the U.K. government is shameful

I also don’t want this to develop either into some argument about Johnson and his time as Foreign Secretary - no one on either side of the political divide seems to care.

The general public don’t seem to care. This is really a hostage situation and no one does anything. It’s a disgrace.

skybluetony176

I don’t know if it’s just me but this really is a scandal

This person clearly is a pawn in a game for the Iran government and the lack of serious response from the U.K. government is shameful

I also don’t want this to develop either into some argument about Johnson and his time as Foreign Secretary - no one on either side of the political divide seems to care.

The general public don’t seem to care. This is really a hostage situation and no one does anything. It’s a disgrace.

What do you expect the opposition to do? Lisa Nandy has issued a statement as shadow foreign secretary actually using much of the same language you have and called for the foreign secretary to explain what they intend to do to address this. Not sure what more the opposition can do.

clint van damme

I feel really sorry for her and her family.
Suffering terribly, both mentally and physically apparently.

Its ok saying it shouldn't turn in t an argument about Johnson but that's a bit like saying let's discuss our relegation to league 2 but I don't want it to turn into an argument about Mowbray.

I can't believe there isnt someing that can be done to secure her release. I really fear for her if she has to serve the entirety of this extra year.

NorthernWisdom

. I really fear for her if she has to serve the entirety of this extra year.
And what random charge will they come up with next?

And yes, a certain person managed a rare feat of diplomacy in making things far worse... surely on a personal level that therefore merits doubling, trebling efforts to make it right.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

It seems there are a few different cases and Nazanin Radcliff isn't the only one being let down. I can't imagine what this is doing to the husband and daughter, the last time i saw him on tv i thought he looked terribly aged in comparison to a picture taken prior to her kidnapping, the stress must be intolerable. I understand Iran are doing this for leverage over a huge sum of money, what a vile way to conduct business.

Brighton Sky Blue

It seems there are a few different cases and Nazanin Radcliff isn't the only one being let down. I can't imagine what this is doing to the husband and daughter, the last time i saw him on tv i thought he looked terribly aged in comparison to a picture taken prior to her kidnapping, the stress must be intolerable. I understand Iran are doing this for leverage over a huge sum of money, what a vile way to conduct business.

The country is in economic ruin in large part down to the American sanctions applied by Trump, add in COVID and it’s a regime desperately trying to get money in from anywhere by whatever means.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

The country is in economic ruin in large part down to the American sanctions applied by Trump, add in COVID and it’s a regime desperately trying to get money in from anywhere by whatever means.

Yes, i'd presume that desperation is probably a big factor in our apparent lack of leverage over them too. I don't really have any idea of how it could be fixed to be honest, total shitshow of a situation.

skybluetony176

Apparently the PM didn’t even arrange for British officials to be present at her latest court case. How can you not make this about Boris?

wingy

If it's really about the £400 M paid for tanks they never received then pay them back the money .
Not sure it's that though.
The Aussies seem to have gotten some of theirs home?

Grendel

She was arrested before Trump came to office

Johnnythespider

Have we got anyone we can exchange for her, Johnson maybe. I feel for her family and wonder if there is any way she could be rescued.

robbiekeane

What do you expect the opposition to do? Lisa Nandy has issued a statement as shadow foreign secretary actually using much of the same language you have and called for the foreign secretary to explain what they intend to do to address this. Not sure what more the opposition can do.

Sigh.

fatso

I have a feeling we havnt got a bloody clue what's happening in diplomatic circles.

If Terry Waite's situation is anything to go by, it could take a hell of a long time to get to a conclusion.

wingy

I have a feeling we havnt got a bloody clue what's happening in diplomatic circles.

If Terry Waite's situation is anything to go by, it could take a hell of a long time to get to a conclusion.
God that is a grim thought.

skybluetony176

Brian Keenans book An evil cradling is a harrowing read.

Macca

I’m sure the Iranians will really welcome being told what to do by us...and laugh in our faces

skybluetony176

The plot thickens. Apparently the £400M isn’t a ransom in the normal sense it’s £400M we legally owe them under international law. It doesn’t justify them using her as a bargaining chip but two wrongs don’t make a right.
The back story is that we took a £400M order for tanks of the shah of Iran, the tanks were sat at Southampton docks about to be loaded when the Shah was overthrown in the revolution, the head of the Iranian army who was loyal to the Shah said don’t send the tanks and hold the money and to this day the money is still being held in a government bank account somewhere. Apparently we then sold the tanks to Saddam someone.

Users who are viewing this thread