Muslim women look like bank robbers (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

Morocco just banned the burkha, niquab and other head coverings. Wow
You can find a video of Nassar Hussein in the 60's mocking the Muslim Brotherhood for wanting him to insist all women in Egypt wear a Tarha
Now look. Niqāb in Egypt - Wikipedia
If we're not careful & pandor to religions we'll go backwards.. to the dark ages and blasphemy will become a prison offence, like it is in many Muslim countries, in Pakistan it can result in a death sentence.
Blasphemy law - Wikipedia

Otis

Morocco just banned the burkha, niquab and other head coverings. Wow
Really?

Not agreeing with a ban as such, but there should be no pressure at all put on women to feel they have to cover up in order to pander to men.

They think it is their free will, but it is hundreds and hundreds of years of conditioning that makes them believe that is what they should do.

lifeskyblue

Nearly as bizarre as hearing someone on radio 4 saying that people in the U.K. we're fed up of seeing women in burqas and niqabs in the pub??

Must wear them in the pub so that their husbands and fathers don’t recognise them going for a crafty drink.

Seriously though at the uni where I work a number of female staff have commented on the number of female Muslim students who get dropped off in traditional wear (not just veil) but immediately go to the Ladies, change into western clothes, attend lectures etc. At the end of the day they change back and get picked up by their husbands, brothers or dads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westendlad

Honestly you've never seen a Muslim woman eating before and was amazed at a shop bought sandwich? Some of the replies on here make me wonder if some people shouldn't try to get out a little bit more.
Like to see you eat with a balaclava on chap.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I remember a few years ago there was a fuss made about a teacher who wore a full face veil at a school and a lot of parents objected for very obvious reasons. Yet the fuss was the fact that parents had the audacity to actually complain, not the dress code of the teacher concerned. Times are a changing and it's about bloody time.
...besides, they do look like letter boxes as opposed to lawnmowers or a twix, and if I robbed a bank wearing one no one would know who I was, so it's on a par with a Balaclava or a crash helmet as far as I'm concerned. I'm not criticising Islam, and surely that's the issue for religious folk out there.

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

See my take is that Boris haters should be gleefully appreciating the way this has been reported...it has probably sealed the deal as to his becoming leader of the party/PM - or even maybe returning to cabinet.

Also, whether agree or disagree with any of his comments or the reported ones...I have to have sympathy with both sides of the argument. On the one hand it is a culture clash. We see it as diminishing women in society, it is anti-social to communicate with some that you cannot really identify with beyond eyes. On the other many of Islam faiith claim it is the women's choice to wear it! Plus, we talk to people (strangers) on the phone all the time without knowing how they look, what they wear or even how many heads they have.

At the end of the day thpugh imo...the letter-box etc thing is somewhat mocking a culturally accepted behaviour. Not sure if it is still the case, but the military used to include it as a key part of basic training, to avoid any mocking or insulting behaviours toward culture or religion. Otherwise you have no chance of winning over heart or mind!

So I would say at the very least, even ignoring his real perceived intent, his manner of presenting his position is divisive - not withing the muslim community - but the community as a whole.

In other words Boris...shut the f**k up!!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ian1779

It's the balance between the idea of suppression of women or the idea of cultural choice.

Unless we are the ones wearing the garment it's difficult to know where to be on this argument.

That said - for every intellectually capable person that can see both sides, there will be a tub-thumping idiot that will think they can go around replicating what Boris has said.

SBAndy

Whilst I don't generally disagree with his comments, you expect much more nuance from a senior figure like him. Then again, what do you expect from a man who had meetings with Steve Bannon but 2 weeks ago. This is only the start of Boris' tilt at populism.

greys4life

Really?

Not agreeing with a ban as such, but there should be no pressure at all put on women to feel they have to cover up in order to pander to men.

Or uncover for that matter!

Women have been conditioned by men in all societies - look at high heels!

They think it is their free will
, but it is hundreds and hundreds of years of conditioning that makes them believe that is what they should do.
Why because being women they can't think for themselves - that does sound pretty patronising.

However as an aside how do countries that have banned face coverings deal with all the Japanese tourists? Always wondered that.

greys4life

It's the balance between the idea of suppression of women or the idea of cultural choice.

Unless we are the ones wearing the garment it's difficult to know where to be on this argument.

That said - for every intellectually capable person that can see both sides, there will be a tub-thumping idiot that will think they can go around replicating what Boris has said.

Totally agree.

shmmeee

Why because being women they can't think for themselves - that does sound pretty patronising.

However as an aside how do countries that have banned face coverings deal with all the Japanese tourists? Always wondered that.

Would you allow them in banks/airports/other places that require people to remove face coverings.

That's what bothers me most.

Otis

No, not patronising. They do choose to wear the veil and burkha, but it is as a result of centuries of conditioning.

My neighbours were devout Christians. We moved in and the the little girl (about 8) asked which church we went to and we said we didn't go at all. She was stunned and had been led to believe that everyone goes to church.

The family next door lived every minute for God. Home schooled, church at least 4 or 5 times a week. There were 4 kids and that was all they knew.

Conditioning. It's hard to have free will when your mind is not allowed to be opened up to the wider world.

Wasn't trying to be in any way patronising. It's just something they have been taught through religious teachings for centuries.

shmmeee

Yeah, that's the argument I can buy. All for freedom of expression, but I'm not really allowed to wear my motorcycle helmet into such places.

We limit dress in all kinds of situations. I have the same issue with people who whine about wearing the cross. I had to remove my piercings when I first started teaching, my partner at the time had to grow out her dyed hair. I can't wear caps into some pubs.

A full on ban just isn't enforceable apart from anything else and frankly isn't British, I agree with Johnson there, but certain jobs and locations should be able to define acceptable dress.

dancers lance

I think this statement just about puts a lid on the whole silly saga.

Rowan Atkinson has defended Boris Johnson after his controversial comments about women wearing burkas. The actor, known for his comedy performances in Mr Bean and Blackadder, said the remarks were funny. Atkinson wrote in a letter to The Times: ‘As a lifelong beneficiary of the freedom to make jokes about religion, I do think that Boris Johnson’s joke about wearers of the burka resembling letterboxes is a pretty good one.’

He added: ‘All jokes about religion cause offence, so it’s pointless apologising for them. ‘You should really only apologise for a bad joke. On that basis, no apology is required.’

Otis

You have some very strange neighbours Otis!
We do, or at least we did.
Was glad to see the back of them.

They moved out one day and the next day a couple moved in and introduced us to the one year old little boy, Christian!

Bloody Christians!

Captain Dart

DkOpnZEWwAAS4Pa.jpg

dancers lance

I just wish all religions would stop. Imagine how peaceful the world would be. Lets face it the human race only believe in 'gods' because they're shit scared of death and don't want to believe that once your gone you're gone.
Fucking morons, these people demand respect because they believe in magic and wear special clothes to prove it, they can fuck off.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was walking hrough town a few years ago and going along Hertford St, coming towards me, was a woman in full Muslim dress. She had a Coventry City Council ID badge around her neck which proudly showed her as I saw her...… in full Burka! How bloody stupid was that? She could have been ANYONE!

(I've made up a similar badge to what she was wearing...….)
Muslim ID.jpg

wingy

No, not patronising. They do choose to wear the veil and burkha, but it is as a result of centuries of conditioning.

My neighbours were devout Christians. We moved in and the the little girl (about 8) asked which church we went to and we said we didn't go at all. She was stunned and had been led to believe that everyone goes to church.

The family next door lived every minute for God. Home schooled, church at least 4 or 5 times a week. There were 4 kids and that was all they knew.

Conditioning. It's hard to have free will when your mind is not allowed to be opened up to the wider world.

Wasn't trying to be in any way patronising. It's just something they have been taught through religious teachings for centuries.
We're all conditioned in one way or another from Birth to varying degrees and on various matters .

Otis

We're all conditioned in one way or another from Birth to varying degrees and on various matters .
Very true, Wingy, but I don't believe on the whole that the restrictions are in place that are to be found in religion differ for most of us barely or non-religious folk..

I was brought up a certain way by my parents, but there was no restriction in what I was allowed to believe in .

You have to remember for most relgions, in their sermons or religious gatherings/prayers, the followers are forever being reminded and told that if they don't believe in God they are going to hell. They scare the wits out of you at an early age. That's not every day life for most people if you are not that religious. It's blackmailing, controlling and using the factor of fear.

My neighbours lived their lives for God. Every waking moment.

clint van damme

I 100% agree with the sentiment of this statement.
However, Johnson isn't a fucking stand up comedian, he's supposed to be a serious politician but instead he has in turn put either promoting himself and his profile or going to ground to protect his profile above doing his job properly and carrying out promises he made to the electorate.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Very true, Wingy, but I don't believe on the whole that the restrictions are in place that are to be found in religion differ for most of us barely or non-religious folk..

I was brought up a certain way by my parents, but there was no restriction in what I was allowed to believe in .

You have to remember for most relgions, in their sermons or religious gatherings/prayers, the followers are forever being reminded and told that if they don't believe in God they are going to hell. They scare the wits out of you at an early age. That's not every day life for most people if you are not that religious. It's blackmailing, controlling and using the factor of fear.

My neighbours lived their lives for God. Every waking moment.
One of the very reasons I turned my back on any beliefs whatsoever, Otis. I was force-fed religion from the age of 5 until I was ten, being brought up in a convent by masochistic bitch nuns and a paedo priest in the early 60's. Fucking evil people! If I believed all they told me, I would be the most evil person that ever lived by now!

wingy

Yeah, that's the argument I can buy. All for freedom of expression, but I'm not really allowed to wear my motorcycle helmet into such places.
Would you allow them in banks/airports/other places that require people to remove face coverings.

That's what bothers me most.
I kind of get that POV
But how many have actually been lifted for doing any of the potential crimes?
See you've brought up the Issue of the Cross being work in the workplace etc which I was going to reference as the reaction that is blatant hypocrisy along with sensitivity around flying the Jack or St Georges cross .

Users who are viewing this thread