Mowbray vs Pressley Last 15 Stat (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
You still seem firmly in the TM out crowd though?
If it were your decision, today, would you give him the sack?
Not today, no point now.

I've been saying since about December he seems lost if the opposition nullify our system.

ClarkeZ

So, as long as we are clear of relegation and in no danger of going down it's okay if we lose 15 games in a row?

Right! Get how it works now. :)

That's not the point, we are all in agreement that it's not OK the way we have performed recently.
What Oucho and I seem to agree on is that its too late for sacking Mowbray before the summer to do us any favours.

At this stage of the season we aren't going anywhere so lets buck the 'sack the manager' trend which got us here and give TM the chance to continue building what he's started and try again next season. If we start poorly and don't improve then making the managerial change with most of a season left makes so much more sense to me.

Otis

That's not the point, we are all in agreement that it's not OK the way we have performed recently.
What Oucho and I seem to agree on is that its too late for sacking Mowbray before the summer to do us any favours.

At this stage of the season we aren't going anywhere so lets buck the 'sack the manager' trend which got us here and give TM the chance to continue building what he's started and try again next season. If we start poorly and don't improve then making the managerial change with most of a season left makes so much more sense to me.
I have said if we were going to sack him we should have done a month ago when the play-offs were still firmly on.

Not much point of sacking him now, though if we were now to lose every remaining game I am not so sure he won't go.

Ashdown

I think we'll struggle to pick up many points from now until Oldham and he'll fall on his own sword. I think it's a bind for him anyway to keep trekking back up to the North East to his family.

lewys33

It is pointless sacking him now. He would earn more respect (from me at least) if he admitted the season was over, cancelled the loans of at least murphy & maddison and let our younger players get a run out. I don't know if we are at the bottom of the downward spiral yet so it is pointless playing with the same players all the time.

Otis

It is pointless sacking him now. He would earn more respect (from me at least) if he admitted the season was over, cancelled the loans of at least murphy & maddison and let our younger players get a run out. I don't know if we are at the bottom of the downward spiral yet so it is pointless playing with the same players all the time.
Yep, from me too.

Give some kids a go and don't rely on the loans so much.

Would also be inclined to rest John Fleck (when Vincelot returns of course).

If he's leaving in the summer we should at least give Ben Stevenson a run out, even from the bench.

He can come on for Bigi once Bigi's game starts going to pot, so therefore on about 16 minutes.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I would keep him as manager, but just to play devils advocate here:

Whilst stability is a good thing, and by having a summer to build and go again next year it could well pay off. However what are the chances the same thing is going to happen as it has this season? Whilst there is no point sacking the manager from a promotion point of view this year, looking a bit further at it, would he scupper our chances of promotion next year?

I know he is well respected and can attract some good players, and for that I'd say his recruitment has generally been quite good. The thing is though, so many times this season his team selections, player management, and substitutions have been bizarre to say the least (in my personal opinion this has been a massive contribution to our downfall). His record suggests he's a fodder for fading away after Christmas too.

The question for me is, if Mowbray (might) not good enough to get us promoted (I'd never thought I'd hear myself say it) would it be best to give another manager a full preseason to build, or give TM a round two?

oucho

The question for me is, if Mowbray (might) not good enough to get us promoted (I'd never thought I'd hear myself say it) would it be best to give another manager a full preseason to build, or give TM a round two?

Give him the benefit of the doubt. Why not? Unless you feel there's another manager who is overwhelmingly likely to do significantly better in a much faster timeframe?

ClarkeZ

I'd be inclined to let him start the season, follow the results pretty closely. If we start well but then christmas comes and we begin to drop off again, then make the change in attempt to preempt another fall from grace.
That way hes had the chance to build what he wants, its not a knee jerk reaction, its merely learning from past mistakes and experiences.

st john

Pressley was sacked as a panic measure because we were about to drop into div 2. I'm convinced he would still be here now if we had been higher up the league due to better results earlier on.

ecky

I'd be inclined to let him start the season, follow the results pretty closely. If we start well but then christmas comes and we begin to drop off again, then make the change in attempt to preempt another fall from grace.
That way hes had the chance to build what he wants, its not a knee jerk reaction, its merely learning from past mistakes and experiences.

What's going to be different next season? If anything it will be worse as TM has to start from scratch...team will need to gel etc etc
Sisu have had long enough as owners and they have failed on a monumental scale until they go expect more of the same next season

fernandopartridge

What's going to be different next season? If anything it will be worse as TM has to start from scratch...team will need to gel etc etc
Sisu have had long enough as owners and they have failed on a monumental scale until they go expect more of the same next season

So it's not Mowbray's fault, it's SISU's. Make your mind up. If it's all down to SISU then sacking any manager is pointless.

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User

agree here least the kids have hunger prove the want make 1st team next season get rid loans were safe lets see what they can do, especially sambou i think his name is should def get games till end season.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That's a good idea. Fuck the loans off and blood what players we will have for next season, especially the ones that haven't been give much game time.

Get a team with Lamerias, Rose, Sambou et al in it and use this a pre-pre season, almost like a trial. That will really give the manager ample opportunity to decide what he wants to strengthen.

Mowbray then gets another season to have a fair crack, and as js_lilley and few other posters have said, can be removed if the same thing starts happening.

No beheadings, just sensible thinking.

ClarkeZ

That's a good idea. Fuck the loans off and blood what players we will have for next season, especially the ones that haven't been give much game time.

Get a team with Lamerias, Rose, Sambou et al in it and use this a pre-pre season, almost like a trial. That will really give the manager ample opportunity to decide what he wants to strengthen.

I've wanted to see Sambou get a game for some time. Get Harries, Kelly-Evans even Spence a few 10-15 minute runs off the bench, get Rose and Lameiras playing 90mins so they get used to it and ready for next season.

As good or average as players may look in the U21s you'll never know if they can make it or not without a chance in the first team. They certainly wouldn't be lacking in effort, trying to impress for a permanent spot!

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Yeah, like that Alex Ferguson. Took him 5 years to win the league with United, even losing out to an average Leeds team in 1992. Useless.

Barcelona manager Luis Enrique suggest managers only be given 6 month contracts, if the team is doing OK, offer another 6 month contract.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...th-contracts-coaches-arsenal-champions-league

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35817572

Luis Enrique suggests "If I'm not happy and I'm not helping, it makes no sense for me to be a coach. The shorter the better."

But he believes it would make financial sense for clubs to offer short-term deals, as they would not have to spend large sums to pay off sacked managers.
"If you don't like the manager, you just change it and you don't spend much money to fire him," he added.

oucho

Pressley was sacked as a panic measure because we were about to drop into div 2. I'm convinced he would still be here now if we had been higher up the league due to better results earlier on.

yes he probably would be, and rightly so too.

Colin Steins Smile

This debate reflects the short term approach of the club over the past few years. .....constant change. Any business needs some degree of continuity and time for a system to mature. Whilst the results over the past 4 months have deteriorated, the style of football is significantly better than previous seasons and gave us "hope" for a brighter future!

We haven't had many encouraging signs over the past few years. Dumping another manager is daft!

oucho

I've wanted to see Sambou get a game for some time. Get Harries, Kelly-Evans even Spence a few 10-15 minute runs off the bench, get Rose and Lameiras playing 90mins so they get used to it and ready for next season.

As good or average as players may look in the U21s you'll never know if they can make it or not without a chance in the first team. They certainly wouldn't be lacking in effort, trying to impress for a permanent spot!

Mowbray then gets another season to have a fair crack, and as js_lilley and few other posters have said, can be removed if the same thing starts happening.

No beheadings, just sensible thinking.
I agree with both of you but cannot see it happening. TM is a highly competitive guy and will want to win every game possible, so will make use of his loan players to give himself the best chance of doing so. He won't want to get thrashed 4-0 at home by Sheff U on the final day fielding a bunch of kids. That finished off at least one previous Cov manager.

Grendel

I agree with both of you but cannot see it happening. TM is a highly competitive guy and will want to win every game possible, so will make use of his loan players to give himself the best chance of doing so. He won't want to get thrashed 4-0 at home by Sheff U on the final day fielding a bunch of kids. That finished off at least one previous Cov manager.

No being the most incompetent manager in football history finished that clown off.

oucho

No being the most incompetent manager in football history finished that clown off.

I presume you mean Thorn? I was actually referring to Coleman

Nice to see you still have your embarrassingly vitriolic and slightly unbalanced hatred of AT!

Otis

Nice to see you still have your embarrassingly vitriolic and slightly unbalanced hatred of AT!
Any hatred of AT is anything but unbalanced!! :)

A joke of a manager unfortunately.

oucho

The only manager I've been truly outraged when we sacked him. Not that I wanted any of them sacked... he was a true fans' hero.

Grendel

I used the words incompetent and clown so clearly yes I was referring to Andy "best manager we've had since jimmy hill" thorn.

That's your view on him isn't it?

oucho

Club legend - I often catch myself daydreaming he;s back, this time as Director of Football.

Grendel, why are you such a nasty piece of work?

Sky Blue Kid

Up until the Burton defeat in January we were on a run of 1 defeat in the previous 16/17 league matches

I can Spin too mate..... up to, the "Burton game" We had won only TWO(2) games out of EIGHT(8) from Nov 24th. If you think draws against Donny' Oldham and Chesterfield are acceptible, then you're on a different planet to the rest of us.

Grendel

Club legend - I often catch myself daydreaming he;s back, this time as Director of Football.

Grendel, why are you such a nasty piece of work?

Dreaming of having that waster back shows your off your head I'm afraid.

He's the reason we got relegated in the first place.

It's hardly nasty telling the truth and the truth is he's the worst we've had - a fact.

Director of football - he couldn't even direct traffic.

Malaka

CCFC is a managers graveyard. Do we only employ crap managers? I don't think so. We are limited in who we can attract, we are unable to invest in players long term, this is due to funding, lack of planning and a get out clause if the player turns out to be surplus to requirements.
Whilst I feel that the recent run of form is unacceptable, I do feel that we have no strength in depth which in turn does not enable us (or limits us) with a plan b.
The manager is limited in what he can do and therefore will need sufficient time to bring in or develop a successful squad. I am not an advocate of the manager merry go round. Yes, I'm disappointed but at some point we need to show patience in our team and manager. Sacking managers has got us nowhere fast

Wheelfass

Another stat

Mowbray's average points, first 23 games v remainder;-

Middlesbrough

11/12 - 1.91 vs 1.13
12/13 - 1.75 vs 0.78

Coventry
15/16 - 1.87 vs 0.9
Tells a story doesn't it. Can't keep up the pace. Must surely be down to not being tactically versatile during the second half of the season.

oucho

Dreaming of having that waster back shows your off your head I'm afraid.

He's the reason we got relegated in the first place.

It's hardly nasty telling the truth and the truth is he's the worst we've had - a fact.

Director of football - he couldn't even direct traffic.

No but others gave similar opinions in a way that was not dripping with bitter hatred - what's your problem?? Bad marriage? You seem very very angry.

Grendel

No but others gave similar opinions in a way that was not dripping with bitter hatred - what's your problem?? Bad marriage? You seem very very angry.

The one thing that I don't like is people who are promoted way above their pay grade, take the money without ever attempting to improve themselves, throw anyone else under a bus as long as they keep their grubby hands on their not very hard earned cash.

He did that in even more spectacular fashion at the next club he rocked up at. His behaviour there beggared belief.

Yet you still adore him.

I think your insane.

Users who are viewing this thread