Moving Forward - New Stadium Questions (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Since the Council’s decision to sell the Ricoh to Wasps at what we believe to be a gross and unlawful undervalue, we have been determined either to overturn that decision by legal challenge (this is the only way back to the Ricoh on any sort of sustainable basis) .
Probably a long shot but how about asking them how they see this as being a route back to the Ricoh when there is seemingly zero relationship with CCC
I'm not sure that a route back to the Ricoh is the aim.

Liquid Gold

How long ago ?
15 years. That doesn't;t necessarily mean a newer one would be more expensive though. With advancement in technologies (modular build) it could mean the same thing is significantly cheaper.

A lot of stadiums cost a lot of money when purchasing land, it's where we started to unravel first time around, so when you look at Brentford's new ground costing £71m you forget they paid an unspecified figure to buy land in London. If we have the landowner on side already costs could come right down.

torchomatic

I'd like to see regular updates on the progress. Possibly once a month, any new updates and progress on previous updates.

A dedicated website, twitter account too. All this is important stuff and a way of keeping in touch with fans.

RegTheDonk

Potentially, 5 years is a long time outside Cov until the stadium is built and if the team struggles, less and less will travel to Birmingham. Will SISU waive any management fees or costs that may hamper money spent on players?

shmmeee

Don’t know if this is outside the scope but:

Will the club still be run “sustainably” over the five years were in Brum or are the owners going to subsidise us to enable us to stay in the Championship until then?

tisza

Potentially, 5 years is a long time outside Cov until the stadium is built and if the team struggles, less and less will travel to Birmingham. Will SISU waive any management fees or costs that may hamper money spent on players?
That's a real worry when the 2.5m League 1 salary cap kicks in.
Becomes a very attractive way of limiting costs whilst "building" a stadium.

Somerset Sky Blue

Haven't the women's team aligned themselves with Coventry United, and isn't Grendel's pal - Kalns, one of their main protagonists? Can't see any link up if that is the case.
I was just asking the question as a lot of top clubs are starting to invest more in the women's game and it would show our club to be forward thinking.
Didn't realise they had the links you mentioned.

martincov

Has anyone seen espanyol stadium? 40,500 capacity but average 20,000 ish. 4 sided basically. So could be scaled to suit our needs. I think it looks good and is not so generic. Start small 18 -20k but think bigger say 30 -35k. doable over time. Colours look ok too. It looks like solar panels on 2 of the rooves but this is England so we would need all 4 with said panels. Sorry i cant post a pic, cant find one with the right . ???? whatever. Have a look. With the girder construction built high enough top tiers could be added with ease.

shmmeee

Yes a bowl. We cant have Highfield road back its gone. 4 basic sides with added stuff. Anyway i like the look of it and a scaled version is achievable. Only my opinion.

Yeah I get that. I’ve accepted that my dislike of separate stands makes me a football fan weirdo. It’s fine. I’ll hang with Otis.

rhino1002

Yeah I get that. I’ve accepted that my dislike of separate stands makes me a football fan weirdo. It’s fine. I’ll hang with Otis.
It would entirely feasible to build a four stand ground and it would therefore be possible to do this over a period of time using temporary stand and seating
Corners can be filled in at the end
Doing it this way would mean earlier start and use date (subject to planning and other permissions)
Some have suggested building one stand to start with with the other three sides temporary stands or blanked off
This is certainly a possibility

martincov

Google it have have a look at more pics. We are going to have to start lower than expectations and build to a higher level. That is where future design with in built capability comes in. We may or may not get a stadium a UoW, who knows? Did Milton Keynes not add tiers at a later date or did they just not complete? Stadium design and construction has moved on and is very different to when al la ricoh was al la mode.

CovInEssex

Went past Brentford's (new and current) stadiums the other day, what an improvement that is. Definitely a club on the up, and the new one looks very sharp and smart indeed.

They've coloured the seats mainly red but with splashes of random colours here and there, so on TV the ground still looks full. Always hated the brightly coloured seats of the ricoh, you can see every single empty seat so clearly.

Calista

While I applaud and appreciate what the OP has been doing recently, I don’t know how he can claim that “everyone believes that a new stadium should be the priority now”.

I’m afraid I can’t “prioritise” something that, with the new roads and infrastructure required, is at least 5 years away IMO. That length of time in Birmingham could kill us. I can’t “prioritise” the club investing a ton of funny money in building a second (and likely inferior) stadium in a city that already has one. Should we even “prioritise” ground ownership to that extent, when by far the most important revenue stream for successful football clubs (Premier League & Championship) is broadcasting rights?

Fair play to the fine questions which have been put forward here, they all make sense so go ahead and ask them. But good luck to those who want monthly progress reports from the owners! This seems at best a long term vision of a so-so football stadium way out of town, and at worst a smoke screen for another agenda.

I don’t have an easy solution to our predicament, so I think I’ll just try and stick with the football, which after everything that has happened is now more of a hobby than a passion.

btw I don’t mean to disparage anyone who is looking forward to this, and if one day it turns out to be a great success I’ll be delighted.

Otis

Went past Brentford's (new and current) stadiums the other day, what an improvement that is. Definitely a club on the up, and the new one looks very sharp and smart indeed.

They've coloured the seats mainly red but with splashes of random colours here and there, so on TV the ground still looks full. Always hated the brightly coloured seats of the ricoh, you can see every single empty seat so clearly.
Maybe we can colour some of ours in gold and black just in case Wasps decide to move in later.

Paxman II

Some good questions in there. One question for you is where has the £120m figure come from? What we don't know is if there will be a land cost, but in terms of build cost there are a couple of recent examples....

Rotherham - £20m
Shrewsbury - £11m

Ours will be bigger than those but construction costs aren't necessarily going to be huge. £30-£35 million is something that sticks in my head. Regardless, funding is a good question.

The stadium cost question is a good one. The Ricoh was 110m if I recall and a 32.5k capacity. Yes there is the conference areas and hotel facility but it was built in the early 2000's. So what price today if we need to start from scratch again, buy land, clear land, add in additional infrastructure all at todays price? Don't think I would be faroff. If it was a modular style with just 15k to start capacity then it would still be 80/90m I would have thought. So why come back again and add additional capacity at a later stage when building cost have gone higher?
You are not going to get a 30k+ stadium for 30m. My boat's worth that....

shmmeee

The stadium cost question is a good one. The Ricoh was 110m if I recall and a 32.5k capacity. Yes there is the conference areas and hotel facility but it was built in the early 2000's. So what price today if we need to start from scratch again, buy land, clear land, add in additional infrastructure all at todays price? Don't think I would be faroff. If it was a modular style with just 15k to start capacity then it would still be 80/90m I would have thought. So why come back again and add additional capacity at a later stage when building cost have gone higher?

What’s the capacity on your boat? International waters is well out of CCC jurisdiction.

FWIW I think you can get a 20k ground for £30m if land purchase isn’t an issue and infrastructure is already accounted for. The Ricoh land had serious contamination issues that massively raised the development costs IIRC (also why it was chosen as I think the Tesco sale paid for the decontamination), also its 50% bigger and as you say has hotel/conference facilities included.

mark82

Depends if there is land cost. Will ask question about cost/budget though.

I've got a lot of catching up to do on this thread it seems!

Users who are viewing this thread