Moving Forward - New Stadium Questions (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

The joint statement is just SISU probably having played Warwick into using them as part of their game plan to put the wind up the CCC & Wasps,like I said I do hope I’m proved wrong but I jus can’t see it happening.

that isn't something I've discounted, though like you I hope I'm wrong.

djr8369

Has the money earmarked for a new stadium been offered to Wasps for equity in the Ricoh Arena, whether that be 25%, 51%, or 100%? If not, why not?
There won’t be any money earmarked it will need to be financed somehow and this would be done on returns from the asset.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

On the face of it, possibly. However, if you add in the conferences, summer concerts, hotel, parking for a facility that is already built, compared to a prospective stadium and the years of inconvenience ahead...the difference might not be so significant
That’s short term. Long term it would be infinitely better.
The Ricoh has a convoluted mess of contracts. With a new stadium we could set it up to our benefit.

then you look at stadium sponsorship - we’d get 100% of a higher sponsorship value. Wasps can’t get one now, imagine them piggybacking 50% off our name

djr8369

Not a question but just reiterate that the stadium doesn't need to be all bells and whistles on opening day, as long as it has a stand and a bar 99% of fans are going to be content, happy and greatful.

I would take 15,000 temporary seats and the concourses being food and drinks vans from local businesses at this point as long as it was ours and could be expanded and improved as money allows.

kg82

In the modern world of all these fridge fresh soups etc, Heinz Mulligatawny still stands out as number 1.

Will it be available?
Had a bad experience with mulligatawny... at uni, put a bowl of it on my desk, knocked it over. Went everywhere. My room smelled of it the whole year and I’ve never tried it again!

1ccfc

- Has anything actually been signed with the university or is it currently just a loose verbal agreement?
- Is there a back up plan should this fall through?

Grendel

- Has anything actually been signed with the university or is it currently just a loose verbal agreement?
- Is there a back up plan should this fall through?

Pretty certain nothings been signed and the clubs site says no more information until there is any developments

SBT

Not a question but just reiterate that the stadium doesn't need to be all bells and whistles on opening day, as long as it has a stand and a bar 99% of fans are going to be content, happy and greatful.

Uhh yeah, put me down in the 1% of fans who wouldn't be content, happy and grateful if this is what we get after five years.

wingy

I will remain sceptical but it is consistent with Joy's remarks previously to rebuild like a new club.IE:- Strip it down to the base ,( bottom out / relegations) start afresh.
On balance still unlikely IMO.

djr8369

Uhh yeah, put me down in the 1% of fans who wouldn't be content, happy and grateful if this is what we get after five years.
The alternative is playing in Brum or renting from wasps. We are not in a position to demand perfection, we certainly don’t have the money to pay for it.

Grendel

Some good questions in there. One question for you is where has the £120m figure come from? What we don't know is if there will be a land cost, but in terms of build cost there are a couple of recent examples....

Rotherham - £20m
Shrewsbury - £11m

Ours will be bigger than those but construction costs aren't necessarily going to be huge. £30-£35 million is something that sticks in my head. Regardless, funding is a good question.

The actual construction cost is related to capacity and I believe the club have made some claim it can be expanded.

The build cost will be related to the higher potential capacity.

I’m always a bit sceptical about build costs. The Rotherham example is purely the cost to the construction company isn’t it?

I’d be more interested regardless of cost what funding mechanism is in place to make this happen

Seamus1

That’s short term. Long term it would be infinitely better.
The Ricoh has a convoluted mess of contracts. With a new stadium we could set it up to our benefit.

then you look at stadium sponsorship - we’d get 100% of a higher sponsorship value. Wasps can’t get one now, imagine them piggybacking 50% off our name
I do take your points on board, however I do sometimes worry if the vision might be slightly sky blue tinted...I know I am guilty of it myself. Do we overestimate the commercial value of a stadium when it comes to our own team playing in it. I cannot think of too many teams in the championship whose stadium is sponsored; thinking about massive teams such as Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, Fulham, Cardiff City, Swansea City. Have these teams not actively looked for stadium sponsors in order to generate more funds? Although I’m sure there are more I can only think of Birmingham City and the time when Pride Park was sponsored. Madejski, possibly, but that was mainly because of the benefactor rather than any commercial gain. The RICOH sponsorship ‘only’ paid £10million over 10 years, and that obviously included for massive concert events too.

In my humble opinion, were CCFC to pay £30 million for 50% then Wasps would burn through that very quickly (the bond repayment) and still struggle to recruit the players for a good Premiership side. Instead of them taking 100% of associated revenues with the arena as they do now, they will only get 50%. Their crowds would continue to dwindle, and the quality on the pitch would continue to suffer.Maybe we could put in a clause that Wasps have 100% of their matchday f & b profits, and CCFC get 100% of theirs. Obviously all hypothetical.

Last edited:

SBT

The alternative is playing in Brum or renting from wasps. We are not in a position to demand perfection, we certainly don’t have the money to pay for it.

Is pursuing a solution at the Ricoh so impossible, so disastrous and so unimprovable that it would be better to spend millions on a crap new stadium that we can never leave? That literally a field with a bar attached is the better outcome?

Personally I'm not going to celebrate trading one shit situation for another. If SISU want to build a stadium fit for a Championship club they should put up the cash and do it. After everything that's happened I'm not going to fall to my knees and say I'm ever so grateful if they present us with something that just makes us a different kind of laughing stock.

djr8369

Is pursuing a solution at the Ricoh so impossible, so disastrous and so unimprovable that it would be better to spend millions on a crap new stadium that we can never leave? That literally a field with a bar attached is the better outcome?

Personally I'm not going to celebrate trading one shit situation for another. If SISU want to build a stadium fit for a Championship club they should put up the cash and do it. After everything that's happened I'm not going to fall to my knees and say I'm ever so grateful if they present us with something that just makes us a different kind of laughing stock.

History suggests that a solution at the Ricoh is impossible, yes. Even if we went back there we will have all the same issues. There could be a fallout, we don’t get a fair share of food and beverage, the pitch will always be crap etc. It fundamentally does not work.

The closest thing to a Ricoh solution is probably the same owner owning both teams and I doubt any of us want that.

Next season we will be one of the championship teams with the lowest budget. Why would we get a championship quality stadium? Odds on we will go back down although we all hope not. Why would SISU pay for it? Just because they have been much better owners the last few years does not make them white knights. They are a business running hedge fund and the money they put into a stadium will be some kind of debt that requires payment from the money it can generate. If the club over spends it will owe a debt it can’t pay and we are in another situation similar to the Ricoh.

If a new stadium is built it has to be financially sustainable.

NorthernWisdom

Ultimately, the only question worth asking is when they will be in a position to offer material progress, beyond communication. Until then...

Coventry City's owners in the future said:
We're committed to a successful football club, and despite the many reports to the contrary, we want (and have always wanted) to provide CCFC with a stadium it can call home, access to all the revenues it can generate (like any other professional football club), control of the costs it incurs, and a stable base from which to challenge up the leagues. We hope that this new stadium announcement reassures fans that this is our aim.

We're very pleased and excited to be able to share this news with supporters as, ultimately, we want this to be a home the fans can be proud of. A great deal of time, effort and investment has gone into bringing the plans to this stage and it has been a real team effort to develop the partnership with Warwick University. We’ve come a long, long way in a very short space of time as we only won promotion recently, back to the level we bought the club at, and are now announcing our plans for the new stadium.

We are working very hard with Warwick University to purchase our preferred site and we will, of course, keep supporters informed when that happens. At that stage, we can then start to plot a timeline of applying for permission, time it takes to build and when we could open. There is still a huge amount of effort required and I would urge supporters to make full use of the communication channels that have been set up because that way their views can help to shape the thinking of how we make this a home for the club and its fans. The supporters' views in this are very important to us.

It’s about so much more than just a football stadium that is used 25 times a year, it’s about creating a place that generates activity and income and becomes a facility for the whole community. The value to the community should not be underestimated and we intend for this to be a real hub for the local area.

We have, of course, learned lessons from other clubs and their stadia. We have spoken to people involved in the Rotherham, Brentford, and Brighton projects among others, along with overseas stadia such as Caen and Le Havre. We are impressed with stadiums such as the New York Stadium at Rotherham. As you know, this was completed at just £20million. We believe that paying back over many years a private developer who would build the stadium would be cheaper than renting a stadium. Rotherham is also a modular stadium, meaning more capacity can easily be added if the club is promoted and attendances shoot up.

We have discussed the plans with key partners, and are excited about the investment opportunities that we will be able to deliver. Unfortunately we are unable to tell you more as of yet, because we are bound by confidentiality agreements, but we have kept the Football League fully informed while the plan is progressing, and they are as excited as us. The partnership with Warwick University makes absolute sense - there are many synergies, and their reputation in sports science is second to none; their plans for expansion are very exciting. They have shown themselves to be very supportive, and the hardwork they have put in with us to get to this stage should not be underestimated.

As you know, we have spoken about a new stadium over a number of years. Since the Council’s decision to sell the Ricoh to Wasps at what we believe to be a gross and unlawful undervalue, we have been determined either to overturn that decision by legal challenge (this is the only way back to the Ricoh on any sort of sustainable basis) or to build a new stadium. It is obvious that other parties have been determined to hamper our attempts to return to the Ricoh, so that option is no longer open to us. There have also been obstructions put in our place to build a new stadium, and this has meant we have been unable to do so up until now. This site does not bring those issues. Of course planning committees are “quasi-judicial” bodies – meaning councillors are legally obliged to vote based on “material planning considerations”. We are confident that the site will obtain permission and, if not initially, at appeal or at a public inquiry if they cannot get their plans through the planning committee, and if any obstructive parties choose to object or make it difficult for us.

Ultimately, success breeds success: a well-performing team attracts excellent players, which enables the academy to continue to recruit and retain outstanding apprentices. This makes it easier to attract and retain sponsors, and most importantly, it encourages fans to watch their football club in action. None of this is possible, however, without a permanent home for the Club.

kg82

That was literally someone’s suggestion on here! I don’t think they’d put some bleachers up with a shed for snacks and drinks.

Liquid Gold

is cc4l bringing the bhajis and samosas

giphy.gif

tisza

Since the Council’s decision to sell the Ricoh to Wasps at what we believe to be a gross and unlawful undervalue, we have been determined either to overturn that decision by legal challenge (this is the only way back to the Ricoh on any sort of sustainable basis) .
Probably a long shot but how about asking them how they see this as being a route back to the Ricoh when there is seemingly zero relationship with CCC

SBT

That was literally someone’s suggestion on here! I don’t think they’d put some bleachers up with a shed for snacks and drinks.

Right, and he said 99% of fans would be happy with that, which is what I was disagreeing with!

Others have said we can't even concern ourselves with the quality of the stadium. I'm not saying it's retractable pitch or go home, but it's crazy how low some of our expectations have gone while we've been fucked around. A functioning stadium in our own city should be the very bare minimum we expect, we're entitled to ask for more.

djr8369

Right, and he said 99% of fans would be happy with that, which is what I was disagreeing with!

Others have said we can't even concern ourselves with the quality of the stadium. I'm not saying it's retractable pitch or go home, but it's crazy how low some of our expectations have gone while we've been fucked around. A functioning stadium in our own city should be the very bare minimum we expect, we're entitled to ask for more.

Maybe take your entitlement to the bank and see how much money they give you for the stadium. Deserve has nothing to do with it.

Otis

Have you been to Rotherham? It's a decent stadium.
Just had a look. It looks okay. Nowt special. It looks very generic. We aren't going to get much for the money though are we.

We have to accept that if we are doing it on the cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread