Motor Vehicle for Robins (3 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

People can agree or disagree but trying to push responsibility for playing a player out of position to accommodate a player returning from injury onto the owners is ridiculous.
But ultimately people aren't. They're just pointing out that the subject heading, as per the one before, is rather reactionary and also diverts from the issues which are more pressing.

Grendel

But ultimately people aren't. They're just pointing out that the subject heading, as per the one before, is rather reactionary and also diverts from the issues which are more pressing.

Let’s be honest though you’ve always believed in a long term approach with managers - it rarely works as it’s short term game. Exeter have a long term approach and it’s got them nowhere.

Mucca Mad Boys

On Saturday all the left sided defence were watching the ball not the players. Any one of three attackers could have knocked that first goal in.
The second goal we had 4 players heading for their player.A simple pass to a player running in and a undefended shot for the second goal.
The defenders seldom find a midfielder when kicking out and it usually goes to Biamou and then are always second to the resulting ball.
No, basics and inexperience will see us fail.
January was a missed opportunity. (Again)

What did you expect from this January window? It’s all well and good saying it was a ‘missed opportunity’, but how so? In January, all prices are inflated, all free agents are far from match fit, so your most realistic options are loans.

What did we need to do? Two midfielders, to replace injuries to Jones and Andreu and another striker. They’re still contracted to us, and frankly, at least with Jones, the best option in the league. We didn’t need permanent signings. If the loans turn out to be poor signings... the failings on TW and MR.

We worked diligently on getting a striker, missed out on Richards who chose Swindon. According to reports, we agreed a deal to sign Craig Davies from Oldham - he didn’t want to drop a division. We eventually signed a striker who’s got pedigree in the leagues above us.

In a season where we’ve signed 15+ players, I can’t take the suggestion the owners are to blame for this season very seriously. It might’ve been true 5+ years they’ve been in charge, but this year is not one of them. Oh, and in the last two windows, we’ve let go a 4th choice midfielder and a striker who’s contract had expired. There’s without a doubt a concerted effort from the club to improve what we have.

League 2 is a notoriously difficult league to get out of and I personally think Robins has done well with signings this year. I absolutely think he’s the man to take this club forward, despite his shortcomings this season.

Last edited:

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Let’s be honest though you’ve always believed in a long term approach with managers - it rarely works as it’s short term game. Exeter have a long term approach and it’s got them nowhere.
Yes, look how changing managers every six months has done wonders for Leeds United.

NorthernWisdom

I'd actually suggest Exeter being a solid, established club is exactly the reason to stick with a manager! It's allowed them to put foundations in place... but there'll always be a glass ceiling, the same as we won't be winning the Premier League any time soon, with or without Robins. Exeter have an identity, and compete despite being nowhere relative to many... and that's as much because the manager's been allowed to manage. Last season they turned it around dramatically... and they didn't have to sack the manager to do that.

The clubs that establish themselves more effectively as clubs are those who allow their managers the time to build an ethos and an identity. Those who sack and recruit may have a temporary blip in form, but ultimately return to the norm, or even below it as they haven't got that structure in place, so they're always scrabbling around to repair whatever damage is done by a sacking.

Since Adams left, which manager has improved our position long term under their reign? The only one you could realistically make a case for would be Robins... twice, and even then, sacking Thorn brought us truly abysmal results under the caretakers... and Robins was sensible enough to get out while he could, before the inevitable dip and reactionary comments. This time around we were as good as down when he came in this time and, if you're of the philosophy he should go now, he clearly hasn't improved us long term anyway.

And even if you're of the bent that Robins should go, why on earth would you have faith in the people who appointed him this time around to make a better choice?!?

skybluetony176

Nowhere? They’re a fan owned, have no major investors and average around 4K home crowds. They made the playoffs last season and are well in the mix again this season for automatics or playoffs. Given their resources or lack there of I’d say it’s been an astute move and could pay dividends for them.

Last edited:

clint van damme

The subject heading is reactionary and the thread has drifted slightly off topic, (surprise, surprise!).
I've said repeatedly I don't want rid of Robins but i'm not going to let him off the hook and make excuses for them when he screws up either.

steve82

What did you expect from this January window? It’s all well and good saying it was a ‘missed opportunity’, but how so? In January, all prices are inflated, all free agents are far from match fit, so your most realistic options are loans.

What did we need to do? Two midfielders, to replace injuries to Jones and Andreu and another striker. They’re still contracted to us, and frankly, at least with Jones, the best option in the league. We didn’t need permanent signings. If the loans turn out to be poor signings... the failings on TW and MR.

We worked diligently on getting a striker, missed out on Richards who chose Swindon. According to reports, we agreed a deal to sign Craig Davies from Oldham - he didn’t want to drop a division. We eventually signed a striker who’s got pedigree in the leagues above us.

In a season where we’ve signed 15+ players, I can’t take the suggestion the owners are to blame for this season very seriously. It might’ve been true 5+ years they’ve been in charge, but this year is not one of them. Oh, and in the last two windows, we’ve let go a 4th choice midfielder and a striker who’s contract had expired. There’s without a doubt a concerted effort from the club to improve what we have.

League 2 is a notoriously difficult league to get out of and I personally think Robins has done well with signings this year. I absolutely think he’s the man to take this club forward, despite his shortcomings this season.

Totally agree, January as a club we could not sensibly do much more.

Targets were identified in strikers and eliminated as the days ticked by.

I do find it funny tho how some are mocking a 25k bid for 32 year old Tom Pope who still would of commanded a huge wage on top of a cash offer. This is a man who however pivotal in L2 should we get promotion be deadwood in L1 and also was available for free last summer and many said was slow and shit we need better.

We've brought in JCH who will be a success in L2 once is match sharp and can make the transition into L1 should we get there and the deal is sensible should we need to pull the plug.

Londonccfcfan

Am I mistaken? the league didn't finish last Saturday did it???. Cos it sounds like for some our season is over. We are shit away, have no consistency blah blah blah!

If it had and we finished 8th, then I may have to say Motor vehicle for Mark Robins.

But as it stands as far I can see there are 6 places above us within reach! 2 of which are Automatic. lots to play for!

clint van damme

Am I mistaken? the league didn't finish last Saturday did it???. Cos it sounds like for some our season is over. We are shit away, have no consistency blah blah blah!

If it had and we finished 8th, then I may have to say Motor vehicle for Mark Robins.

But as it stands as far I can see there are 6 places above us within reach! 2 of which are Automatic. lots to play for!

in our last 4 away league games we've won 1, poor in another and abysmal in the other 2.
Ignore that if you want.

skybluetony176

Another interesting stat when comparing Robins to his counterparts from the teams above us. He has the third best win ratio of all the managers above us in their current appointments. The exceptions being Luton and Swindon’s managers and even then it’s only just.

In fact Robins win ratio is only 1.5% less than it was first time around when everyone including (especially in some cases) his newly found critics were singing his praises insisting he was the best manager in years and wishing we still had him.

Londonccfcfan

in our last 4 away league games we've won 1, poor in another and abysmal in the other 2.
Ignore that if you want.

Whos ignoring that? look at the whole picture! again looking at one game in isolation!
picked up 6 points from last three games. 2 ppg
Picked up 12 points from last 6 games ..2ppg
Picked up 18 points from last 9 games ...2ppg

Add to that we have beaten Stoke and won away at MK Dons in the fa cup.

So in effect we have won 8 of our last 11 matches!!!!!! Taxi for Mark Robins.

If we win 8 of our next 11 matches il take that right now please!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking Numptys!

NortonSkyBlue

Go back just 3 days and we were nailed on for automatics on here, great depth to the squad and our own young players, now we are doomed because of Sisu, TA injury(how can you miss a player who has never played for you?) and now the managers lack of flexibility in setting and changing tactics.
Nothing has changed except we have one game less to play for three points
Robins bears some responsibility and so do the players but they deserve credit too. They dug deep to beat Cambridge like they did previously against other teams.
Surely if we were great on Friday and we are shit on Monday we have to realign our expectations.
We are not thrashing teams at all yet the predictions each week on here suggest just that. We are getting over the line in some games and in others falling short.
League two is not pretty but by early February we have learned that we can go toe to toe with the best and haven't figured out how to beat the lower sides (FGR deserved to win).
Am I confident? No and some of that is down to the managers intransigence, if we don't go up I won't be calling for his head but also believe he is on borrowed time as all goodwill is conditional on here. You are either king or the shit on the bottom of the shoe.
Think back 12 months, now that was desperate, a real horror story with a poor leader and rudderless team. We have gone down but moved forward under Robins and even if we fail this season then I believe he deserves an chance to go again next season.

clint van damme

Whos ignoring that? look at the whole picture! again looking at one game in isolation!
picked up 6 points from last three games. 2 ppg
Picked up 12 points from last 6 games ..2ppg
Picked up 18 points from last 9 games ...2ppg

Add to that we have beaten Stoke and won away at MK Dons in the fa cup.

So in effect we have won 8 of our last 11 matches!!!!!! Taxi for Mark Robins.

If we win 8 of our next 11 matches il take that right now please!!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking Numptys!

I'm not sure how highlighting what's gone on in 4 games is looking in one game in isolation.
And I have repeatedly said I don't want Robins sacked.
If you think everything's rosy in the garden then fair play, I think anyone with half a brain can see different.
We had a poor run at home earlier in the season at Robins sorted it, he needs to do the same now with our away form, it's no good pretending it's all OK.

And I'd forgotten about the Port Vale game in my analysis so our away form is worst than I originally stated.

bawtryneal

With whom would you replace Robins ?

Londonccfcfan

Team P GD Pts
1 Doncaster 30 24 63
2 Plymouth 29 18 60
3 Carlisle 30 9 52
4 Luton 30 15 49
5 Exeter 30 16 48
6 Portsmouth 29 14 48
7 Mansfield 30 7 46
8 Wycombe 29 2 46

The league table at this same time as last year makes for interesting reading. We would be sitting between 3rd and 4th this time last year.

Table is so tight this year. its crazy! Lincoln have 49 points and are in 9th place!!

bawtryneal

I think he is doing an okay job for now

Judge him at the end of the season

Grendel suggests time for change, wondered who he would have in his place.

Cov kid 55

Surely Exeter have done relatively well, particularly this season, given their resource?

Esoterica

Team P GD Pts
1 Doncaster 30 24 63
2 Plymouth 29 18 60
3 Carlisle 30 9 52
4 Luton 30 15 49
5 Exeter 30 16 48
6 Portsmouth 29 14 48
7 Mansfield 30 7 46
8 Wycombe 29 2 46

The league table at this same time as last year makes for interesting reading. We would be sitting between 3rd and 4th this time last year.

Table is so tight this year. its crazy! Lincoln have 49 points and are in 9th place!!
Which is why it's naive for people to say things like 'we're only 2 wins off the autos' at this point of the season, like that's some kind of reasonable measurement of how well we're doing. Yeah, we are. Us and 5 other teams are, who would all have to lose both games for that gap to be recovered and don't discount Crawley who are this year's team to come from absolutely nowhere, they were 4 points of relegation in mid December. We need a better run than we've had all season to claw those points back on the Autos with only 16 games to go. Can see teams needing 80 points just to hit playoffs this year which is going to put immense pressure on our final 8 home games unless our away form dramatically improves.

48 points left to play for. We need 10 wins from 16, 8 home matches, 8 away.

oucho

It isn't a short term game though, it is simply treated like one.

Mucca Mad Boys

Totally agree, January as a club we could not sensibly do much more.

Targets were identified in strikers and eliminated as the days ticked by.

I do find it funny tho how some are mocking a 25k bid for 32 year old Tom Pope who still would of commanded a huge wage on top of a cash offer. This is a man who however pivotal in L2 should we get promotion be deadwood in L1 and also was available for free last summer and many said was slow and shit we need better.

We've brought in JCH who will be a success in L2 once is match sharp and can make the transition into L1 should we get there and the deal is sensible should we need to pull the plug.

Exactly. I think promotion this season has to be the target. But, this is a squad assembled over two transfer windows and we’ve sustained a lot of long term injuries. Whereas our competitors have been building over the course of several seasons.

If our team from last year was half up to scratch, which it wasn’t, we could maybe entertain the idea of sacking Robins. However, we’ve completely overhauled our squad and I think we need to be patient. There’s about 8-10 teams that could finish in the top 3 and there’s a long time left. I think we could feasibly still come top 3, and that’s be a massive achievement.

Skyblueweeman

Which is why it's naive for people to say things like 'we're only 2 wins off the autos' at this point of the season, like that's some kind of reasonable measurement of how well we're doing.

Factually correct though! I'd rather be two wins from the autos than two defeats from the relegation zone. It is some sort of measurement!

Londonccfcfan

Which is why it's naive for people to say things like 'we're only 2 wins off the autos' at this point of the season, like that's some kind of reasonable measurement of how well we're doing. Yeah, we are. Us and 5 other teams are, who would all have to lose both games for that gap to be recovered and don't discount Crawley who are this year's team to come from absolutely nowhere, they were 4 points of relegation in mid December. We need a better run than we've had all season to claw those points back on the Autos with only 16 games to go. Can see teams needing 80 points just to hit playoffs this year which is going to put immense pressure on our final 8 home games unless our away form dramatically improves.

Nah 80 points just for play offs don't think so I can see a minimum of 74/75. Two or three of the teams above will drop one of which will hit a wall.

So many of top 9 are playing each other teams in top 9 drop points every week. Some weeks up to 5/6 teams will drop points.

2/3 weeks ago Newport county and Colchester were also in this tight group of 11. Now there's a gap of 4 points and they played a game more than top 9.

Crawley have played well recently due to last minute goals injury time goals. They have played a game more and are 5 points adrift with an awful negative goal difference. They are due a bad game or two.

Slowly this group will whittle down to from 9 to 7.

We have a good goal difference on the two teams directly above us and equal to most.

Otis

Ignore that if you want.
Which is why I keep saying we need to turn our form around. It's a clear as day.

Yep, there are all those places to play for, but if we don't turn our form around we could well miss out and the season would be a failure.

Away form table has us 16th in the league. Simply not good enough.

Otis

And if it was to be 10 wins from 16 matches that would be a very big ask.

Londonccfcfan

And if it was to be 10 wins from 16 matches that would be a very big ask.

Fact is 6 wins may be enough for play offs.

Who says we need 10 wins.

Might only need 6 wins , 5 draws and 5 defeats. Another 23 points. Equates to 73 points maybe enough for 7th.
Or 7 wins, 4 draws and 5 defeats. 75 points. Which practically in 9/10 seasons get you play offs

it's important we get those 6 wins vs teams above us or around us. And lose to teams in bottom half.

Rather than other way around.

Otis

Fact is 6 wins may be enough for play offs.

Who says we need 10 wins.

Might only need 6 wins , 5 draws and 5 defeats. Another 23 points. Equates to 73 points maybe enough for 7th.
Or 7 wins, 4 draws and 5 defeats. 75 points. Which practically in 9/10 seasons get you play offs

it's important we get those 6 wins vs teams above us or around us. And lose to teams in bottom half.

Rather than other way around.
You are talking playoffs, the 10 wins suggested by Esoterica I would regard as to being for automatic promotion.

Londonccfcfan

I edited. I would regard as for automatics.

I'm afraid it's gonna be 82/83/84 for Automatic for third place.

72/73/74/75/76 for play offs. Goal difference may play a huge part.

All conjecture and pointless as theirs Still 16 games to go.

Users who are viewing this thread